Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Love Stole the Day posted:

The guys at Giantbomb did one of their Quick Look video things on MWO: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-mechwarrior-online/2300-10939/

tl;dw:
  • sound design 10/10
  • art direction 10/10
  • the cost of colors and patterns are bullshit
  • the grind is really loving bad for what you get in return
  • everything in the store is really overpriced in terms of MC
  • The intricacies of experimenting in the Mech Lab makes the game feel like it has a lot of depth and is a fun mini-game outside of shooting robots.
  • Overall the game is fun because the bullshit stuff doesn't detract from the experience

This was pretty good look at the game but there is some misinformation in there, they didn't know you can look around the cockpit freely for example. Also I'm still really new but even to me a Hunchback with just 3xMLs and 3xMGs seems really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Axetrain posted:

This was pretty good look at the game but there is some misinformation in there, they didn't know you can look around the cockpit freely for example. Also I'm still really new but even to me a Hunchback with just 3xMLs and 3xMGs seems really bad.

lots of new folks don't realize how much the game rewards overspecialization in weapons.

like in other shooters you would want to tote around a shotgun and a sniper rifle because then you have your bases covered

here they don't quite realize that doing that will gimp your build. if I saw a 3ML/3MG Hunchback and any other robot side by side I would probably straight-up ignore it to kill the other thing first

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I have a timber with four medium pulses and four streak srms that I'm having a lot of fun with

Should I bother buying an executioner? God hand build looks funny. But something tells me buying two other firestarter and some quickdraws would be better.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

I have a timber with four medium pulses and four streak srms that I'm having a lot of fun with

Should I bother buying an executioner? God hand build looks funny. But something tells me buying two other firestarter and some quickdraws would be better.

Executioner is kind of tough because it doesn't quite have enough available tonnage, and the weapon mounts are p. bad. Right now Clan assaults are in a weird place because they're not nearly as tough as IS counterparts and only the Dire Wolf (maybe the Warhawk too) mounts enough weapons to make up for that. People who play it say the MASC is interesting on it though. It's p. expensive.

Timber brawls real well. I have one with four small pulses and four ASRM6s and it owns bones, if you wanna try a variation of what you've got.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

ZenVulgarity posted:

How much do you care about Community Warfare? Also, how much do you care about getting your Basic level bonuses doubled vs playing with a different type of robot?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Lonjon posted:

How much do you care about Community Warfare? Also, how much do you care about getting your Basic level bonuses doubled vs playing with a different type of robot?

The elite upgrades are nice

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Pattonesque posted:

lots of new folks don't realize how much the game rewards overspecialization in weapons.

like in other shooters you would want to tote around a shotgun and a sniper rifle because then you have your bases covered

here they don't quite realize that doing that will gimp your build. if I saw a 3ML/3MG Hunchback and any other robot side by side I would probably straight-up ignore it to kill the other thing first

Its kinda the newbie trap of attempting to use every hardpoint you've got instead of simplifying your build, I know I was like that when I started playing MWO initially :v:.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Drakes posted:

Its kinda the newbie trap of attempting to use every hardpoint you've got instead of simplifying your build, I know I was like that when I started playing MWO initially :v:.

yeah like, chassis with a single missile hardpoint are a big new player trap

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Pattonesque posted:

yeah like, chassis with a single missile hardpoint are a big new player trap
That's so they can pack in an SRM2 for that close range punch.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I'm having a lot of fun with the Jenner, but I'm guessing that it gets drastically worse once people learn to shoot for poo poo, à la MW2?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I need one more Crab, atlas, and Jenner to go on the road for mastery for them

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

jBrereton posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with the Jenner, but I'm guessing that it gets drastically worse once people learn to shoot for poo poo, à la MW2?

it's mostly CT unfortunately

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Really the two things that look buyable are the quickdraws and the firestarter

Maybe a Shadow cat for being a poo poo

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

jBrereton posted:

The trick with Jenners is the same as all of the laser boat lights, to not be seen, avoid fights at a disadvantage and always shoot robots in the butt. If you have the attention of half the opposing team you'll just get focused downed an killed, if you're being pursued by two or more lights, disengage and lead those lights back into some friendlies and for the love of god manage your heat because speed & mobility is life and too many 6 ML alphas will end yours fast.
In the days before HSR my high latency allowed me to get away with some really dumb crazy poo poo, but now I can't drive a light to save myself because I make a lot of bad decisions.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 13, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ZombyDog posted:

The trick with Jenners is the same as all of the laser boat lights, to not be seen, avoid fights at a disadvantage and always shoot robots in the butt. If you have the attention of half the opposing team you'll just get focused downed an killed, if you're being pursued by two or more lights, disengage and lead those lights back into some friendlies and for the love of god manage your heat because speed & mobility is life and too many 6 ML alphas will end yours fast.
Yeah I'm sorta-aware of how to pilot them, it's more "are they incredibly easy to headcap like the good old days?"

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

ZombyDog posted:

The oxide is really fun

Lots of rockets in the butt at 140kph

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

jBrereton posted:

Yeah I'm sorta-aware of how to pilot them, it's more "are they incredibly easy to headcap like the good old days?"

nah that's not really an issue on lights. head hitbox is small enough that hitting it twice with a big alpha isn't really a thing. when I hit a light in the head it's usually a bad thing for me, because that's damage that isn't going toward the CT or STs

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

jBrereton posted:

The only thing that really fucks up lights bad is other lights and medium streak boats if the light is played well. I'm sure jenners are more explody than a cheater but a good pilot in a jenner is still going to have a good time.

EDIT and yeah I haven't had that many headshots since coming back. It's not like the "Oh you stopped, gaussapult go!" days.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

nah that's not really an issue on lights. head hitbox is small enough that hitting it twice with a big alpha isn't really a thing. when I hit a light in the head it's usually a bad thing for me, because that's damage that isn't going toward the CT or STs
Cool.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
http://mwomercs.com/tournaments

PGI posted:

Greetings MechWarriors,

It's time for another installment of our 'Like A Champion' Event series.

If you have what it takes to secure kills and rack up the most amount of damage done against your unlucky opponents you'll be able to earn an array of prizes, including a Cicada CDA-2A Champion 'Mech.

For every 'Kill Most Damage Done' you achieve in a match you will earn 1 Event Point. You can earn more than 1 Event Point per-match, however many times you achieve a 'Kill Most Damage Done'.

You must also achieve a minimum Match Score of 100 in order for that match to count.

As an added bonus, the 30% XP Bonus that normally applies to Champion 'Mechs is being increased to a 50% XP bonus for the duration of this event!

Rules:

For every 'Kill Most Damage Done' you achieve you will earn 1 Event Point.
You can earn more than 1 Event Point in a match, however many times you achieve a 'Kill Most Damage Done'.
You must achieve a Minimum Match Score of 100 for the match to count.
You do not need to be piloting a Champion 'Mech in order for a match to qualify.
Faction Play matches are not eligible for contributing to this Event.
Prizes:

1 Point = 4x C-Bill Consumable Pack
5 Points = 250,000 C-Bills
15 Points = 500,000 C-Bills
25 points = Cicada CDA-2A [C] Champion 'Mech, including 'Mech Bay!
30 Points = Cicada Statue Standing Cockpit Item
35 Points = Cicada Applejack Pattern
40 Points = Moegi (Green) Premium and AJ Light Orange Special Color Unlocks

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Rhymenoserous posted:

Unless you are packing lurms/PPC's i.e. things that are questionable use anyways, your large lasers hit just fine up close (And pretty much everything works within 250m) and if anything you'll do more accurate component damage, so congrats on the "Non argument" I guess?

Or do you just not know how weapons work in this game? Like someone told you that you literally had to be at optimal range to get full damage for every weapon system? Literally everything is better the closer you are due to aiming/travel time, including lurms and PPC's if you can skirt the ranges where they are useless.

thanks for the protip! i'm convinced you must have a high kdr and a deep understanding of this game becuz you're obviously smart af

but i must ask, why do these pros seem to not know this game as well as you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYBc540veyk

learn2play

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Sure, I need another Cicada to sit next to my lovely PPC sniper and my mediocre hex pattern one.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I want the colors

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I approve of this steady trickle of free poo poo I'm getting.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
-2A with six medium lasers is p. good. here's the quirks:

MEDIUM LASER DURATION: -5.00 %
LASER DURATION: -15.00 %
ENERGY RANGE: 25.00 %
ENERGY HEAT GENERATION: -5.00 %
ENERGY COOLDOWN: 5.00 %
ACCELERATION RATE: 40.00 %
DECELERATION RATE: 40.00 %
TURN RATE: 20.00 %
TORSO TURN RATE (YAW): 20.00 %
TORSO TURN ANGLE (YAW): 18.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (CT): 6.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (LT): 5.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (RT): 5.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (LA): 6.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (RA): 6.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (LL): 10.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (RL): 10.00

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

I want the colors

:same:

40 kills with most damage shouldn't be too hard to get over 5 days.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

so Russ is asking about what people would want to see in a new four-mech Clan pack, and this one seems to be winning for lights:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Piranha

may I direct your attention to its twelve (12) machine guns

No lie, I would spend actual money if dumb machinegun fishmech got in.

I'd also spend even more if the 100 ton Bane got in. 14 cockpit-height ballistics slots (or eight nine missile slots) on non-Omni Clan assault?

Throw in the Night Gyr and the Mongrel Vapor Eagle and introduce Clan Laser Heat Sinks (double heat sinks that make your `Mech look like a disco rave party when it's overheating) and you've got yourself a party!

And then throw the Helios in the next IS pack. :v:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 13, 2016

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
i will receive an applejack pattern for all four of my cicadas?

best. challenge. ever.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

teepo posted:

thanks for the protip! i'm convinced you must have a high kdr and a deep understanding of this game becuz you're obviously smart af

but i must ask, why do these pros seem to not know this game as well as you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYBc540veyk

learn2play

I wouldn't mind occasionally running a GIRL group with this level of coordination. BMR and TeeMerk do amazing goon yellbossing when we go Tryhard.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

No lie, I would spend actual money if dumb machinegun fishmech got in.

I'd also spend even more if the 100 ton Bane got in. 14 cockpit-height ballistics slots (or eight nine missile slots) on non-Omni Clan assault?

Throw in the Night Gyr and the Mongrel and introduce Clan Laser Heat Sinks (double heat sinks that make your `Mech look like a disco rave party when it's overheating) and you've got yourself a party!

10 CUAC/2s would be amazing

incidentally there is a dude streaming MWO now (I think he got paid by PGI 'cause 350k subscribers) and it's really funny to see a new player's first few matches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEgldQAGD3o

spotted: an Orion with an LBX-10, an LRM20A, and nothing else

Vorenus posted:

I wouldn't mind occasionally running a GIRL group with this level of coordination. BMR and TeeMerk do amazing goon yellbossing when we go Tryhard.

I would be down for this

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Finished a match last night with 17% of my Crab-27SL remaining :black101:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
The problem with running a KDR squad is getting people to care enough.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Vorenus posted:

literally right before they did their little tournament, a group of nine goons ran into the same 228 squad featured in the video on mining collective. they literally did the same exact poo poo in this video, where the blackjacks and quickdraws were smartly positioned so each and every one of them had line of sight on our death ball engulfing us with lasers from literally every single possible direction. once a few of our mechs dropped and our armor was stripped, a swarm of arctic cheetahs charged in and picked us apart. it was a complete stomp and well deserved.

their high level of coordination and high play resulted in the most epic fail cascade i have ever witnessed, with our group of nine quickly dwindling down to only four. the only other witness to this i remember was phroashi, who didn't quit like a bitch.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Pattonesque posted:

spotted: an Orion with an LBX-10, an LRM20A, and nothing else

I saw a Panther-10P yesterday with two LBX-2's and nothing else.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I know it's not the right spot in the timeline for it, but I still want a Kodiak. It may not be the swankiest Clan mech of all time, but I bet it would be an absolutely brutal brawler in MWO. Plus, who wouldn't want to play as a giant bear mech?

The only real downside is the damage spread from Clan UAC20s as opposed to the big single spike you'd get from the AC20 on an Atlas. Still, you could put a shitload of good weapons on it, regardless of what style of weapon you prefer.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Zaodai posted:

I know it's not the right spot in the timeline for it, but I still want a Kodiak. It may not be the swankiest Clan mech of all time, but I bet it would be an absolutely brutal brawler in MWO. Plus, who wouldn't want to play as a giant bear mech?

The only real downside is the damage spread from Clan UAC20s as opposed to the big single spike you'd get from the AC20 on an Atlas. Still, you could put a shitload of good weapons on it, regardless of what style of weapon you prefer.

I'd run Clan AC/20s if they were absolutely identical to IS 20s. Alas.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Zaodai posted:

I really want the Kodiak, but the other thing is that I think it has maximum two missile slots.

so you'd be brawling with one CUAC/20, two CSRM6as, and a bunch of small pulse lasers

it might run a bit too hot. still I'd like to try it (if it had some structure quirks maybe)

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

teepo posted:

literally right before they did their little tournament, a group of nine goons ran into the same 228 squad featured in the video on mining collective. they literally did the same exact poo poo in this video, where the blackjacks and quickdraws were smartly positioned so each and every one of them had line of sight on our death ball engulfing us with lasers from literally every single possible direction. once a few of our mechs dropped and our armor was stripped, a swarm of arctic cheetahs charged in and picked us apart. it was a complete stomp and well deserved.

their high level of coordination and high play resulted in the most epic fail cascade i have ever witnessed, with our group of nine quickly dwindling down to only four. the only other witness to this i remember was phroashi, who didn't quit like a bitch.

I was there, I think. River City a few days ago? I nearly got cored out just cutting through lower city. ERLL supremacy.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pattonesque posted:

I really want the Kodiak, but the other thing is that I think it has maximum two missile slots.

so you'd be brawling with one CUAC/20, two CSRM6as, and a bunch of small pulse lasers

it might run a bit too hot. still I'd like to try it (if it had some structure quirks maybe)

Why small pulses over mediums? Or is it just so you can swap the ER Meds it would carry by default to pulse smalls for the same tonnage? You'd also get some weight back stripping the jump jets out, I guess. I'm sure it'd be viable in some configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Herb Dington posted:

I was there, I think. River City a few days ago? I nearly got cored out just cutting through lower city. ERLL supremacy.

If we won every match using the same tactics as them Id get bored as gently caress

• Locked thread