Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Why are you buying the Sanders President nos when the Sanders nominee nos are 10c cheaper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Oh man I'd bought and sold those the other day during a dip, but did not see the price had returned to easy money level yet, thank you.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Aliquid posted:

A Jeb suicide would resolve his dropout market as correct, yes?

No, Predictit has clarified in the past that dying does not constitute "dropping out".

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
So the Bern hype is causing a lot of the primary markets to go nuts but Arkansas in particular has been the funniest:

https://www.predictit.org/Market/1723/Who-will-win-the-2016-Arkansas-Democratic-primary

Free money if anyone wants it.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Necc0 posted:

So the Bern hype is causing a lot of the primary markets to go nuts but Arkansas in particular has been the funniest:

https://www.predictit.org/Market/1723/Who-will-win-the-2016-Arkansas-Democratic-primary

What are they banking on, people from Arkansas hate their former first lady?

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Necc0 posted:

Just went back up to 88

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Banking on turning 15 bucks into 30 if a republican nominee says "natural born" during the next debate

Cmon trump make it happen baby

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gibberish posted:

Banking on turning 15 bucks into 30 if a republican nominee says "natural born" during the next debate

Goddammit it's already at 88c. If only I didn't have a job!!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gibberish posted:

Ive managed to get all of these markets wrong so far but God damnit it's so tempting.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Just went back up to 88

Got in in the 70s :toot:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Boy do I hope Hillary takes Iowa.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

a cop posted:

Boy do I hope Hillary takes Iowa.
So does my PredictIt account.

Necc0 posted:

Got in in the 70s :toot:
Bernie NO in Arkansas was cheaper at the moment so I bought a couple hundred in the 70s.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
I think we're at the scrutiny phase of Cruz's "rise - scrutiny - decline" cycle.

Think about it, he's definitely the bottom of the barrel. We had:

Bush, Fiorina, Carson, Rubio, and now Cruz. He's going to end up like the rest. I think it's becoming more and more obvious, barring some major fuckup at the debate that Trump is going to take Iowa.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

pathetic little tramp posted:

I think we're at the scrutiny phase of Cruz's "rise - scrutiny - decline" cycle.

Think about it, he's definitely the bottom of the barrel. We had:

Bush, Fiorina, Carson, Rubio, and now Cruz. He's going to end up like the rest. I think it's becoming more and more obvious, barring some major fuckup at the debate that Trump is going to take Iowa.

I'm still holding my Yes Iowa shares and even have some for him winning the entire nomination. Both have been hit in the last week.

Cruz is a piece of dog turd, but he is way more of an intellectual heavy weight compared to the flavor of the month genre you are talking about like Bachman, Perry or Cain. Carson fits that mold of the infatuation, peaking, discovery and decline, but Cruz doesn't. Cruz is a known quantity, he rose slowly, he bides his time, he has a ground game, he's a hero of the evangelical wing of the party and you know that without directly saying his name but still getting the meaning across, every mega church is going to implore all their members to vote.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
NO on PAUL.FBNDEBATE2 can be had for 92¢ if you’re into that. Payout isn’t great, but turnaround is good.

Rand has been whining about a new poll that was released after the cut‐off but was conducted before.

Fox is so far standing firm with (emphasis mine) “We announced the criteria in December and clearly stated the polling needed to be conducted and released by Monday, January 11th.”

e: 96¢ now, maybe not worth it.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Jan 14, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cruz numbers collapsing for Iowa nom at the moment. Trump's secret announcement + the Cruz-Goldman scandal have sent the market into chaos.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I picked a great time to make my Cruz bets!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Platystemon posted:

NO on PAUL.FBNDEBATE2 can be had for 92¢ if you’re into that. Payout isn’t great, but turnaround is good.

Rand has been whining about a new poll that was released after the cut‐off but was conducted before.

Fox is so far standing firm with (emphasis mine) “We announced the criteria in December and clearly stated the polling needed to be conducted and released by Monday, January 11th.”

e: 96¢ now, maybe not worth it.

I enjoy buying the opposite of "sure thing" markets like this. Sure, I'm probably out those shares, but who cares about dozens of pennies? Meanwhile I have a chance of making $bucks if something unexpected happens. I mean, this is politics, outrageously implausible things happen several times a year.

Incidentally, $bucks is what I made flipping shares on this Paul will-he-or-won't-he market today :3:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Also, in the vein of the previous posts on bad decisions, I currently hold 1500 shares of Huckabee Yes in Iowa. Hopefully the Cruz panic helps me cut some loose.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

T...thread-chan, someone is buying my Carson Iowa YES shares, some for .01, some for .02

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Aliquid posted:

T...thread-chan, someone is buying my Carson Iowa YES shares, some for .01, some for .02

Probably because Cruz is melting down and people are looking for hedges.

Speaking of which, managed to sell several hundred Cruz Noes around 55-58c this evening, buying back in at 42c.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Still some Rand Noes left on the market for debate appearance tomorrow. Unless he parachutes onto stage halfway through it's not happening.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Vox Nihili posted:

Also, in the vein of the previous posts on bad decisions, I currently hold 1500 shares of Huckabee Yes in Iowa. Hopefully the Cruz panic helps me cut some loose.

This, plus Carson and Santorum. It made sense at one point :smith:

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
This thread helped me purge every last one of my Carson YES shameshares. Someone is looking out for us.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

There's a congressional job approval vote closing out tomorrow.

Shares of yes they will have at least 13.5% approval are around 40 cents and based on the recent polling I'd put the yes odds at least at 50%

Commie NedFlanders has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Jan 14, 2016

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I think a good bet is sanders for most speaking time during this weekends debate. Latest price is at 30 cents and in previous debates Clinton has had the most speaking time but with his latest rise in the polls I can see more questions fielded his way, also if they keep the "you may respond to anything directed at you" rule, I imagine Clinton is going to be far more in the attack this time, giving Sanders more chances to eat up response time.

During the last debate Clinton had about 4 minutes of extra speaking time so that's like just a couple questions difference given Sanders' penchant for long form answers

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Since a lot of these are based on polling results, is there any way to find out if certain polling organizations are planning to conduct or release s poll at a certain time?

Like if I expect some poll numbers to change soon, but the deadline on predictit is coming up, is there a way to see if quinnipiac or abc or ppp currently conducting a poll or scheduled to release one before the predictit deadline?

There are some really low offers, around 3 cents, on public opinion which is basically right on the fence, it would only take one or two polls or push the average over and I think the debates will influence that I just don't know if anyone is gonna release the polling data in time to make it worth buying some shares

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Don't bet on polls :toot:

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I bought this 2 days ago at .41

wtf

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Those gallup markets are death traps. They have their own weird following of people who pay for premium subscriptions to get results early and similar oddness.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gibberish posted:

I bought this 2 days ago at .41

wtf

lol my friend bought into this when they were down at $.11

Nonetheless- ~*don't bet on polls*~

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Vox Nihili posted:

Those gallup markets are death traps. They have their own weird following of people who pay for premium subscriptions to get results early and similar oddness.
Yeah I want no part of that.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I get why you shouldn't but nonetheless I believe I have an intimate, almost magical relationship with the national zeitgeist and I only place really small bets on poll results

I just love seeing how these numbers jump all over the place during and right after any debate or speech or whatever. Poll respondents are s fickle bunch but I find them predictable nonetheless.

Just like the stock market I prefer high volatility based on the kneejerk reactions of the population rather than long term boring 8% gains

I like to live dangerously :unsmigghh:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

And they said studying psychology was worthless if I Wasn't gonna do research :cawg:

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Prediction markets are way more fun than gambling

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Gibberish posted:

Prediction markets are way more fun than gambling

I don't know- I wouldn't want to play a hand of blackjack if I didn't find out if I had won until six months later

especially if the dealer told me "well there's a near-zero chance that you will lose but still we won't pay you until we're absolutely sure"

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Honestly there's no way I'd play anything more than like 1 or 2 weeks out. Most of the stuff I bet on are the "closing" soon things, for just a few bucks. Still, feels good knowing I'm right about ~the way the world is~

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I've got 95 cents left over after various purchases; any long gamble that's not entirely fruitless I can throw that into?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Garrand posted:

I've got 95 cents left over after various purchases; any long gamble that's not entirely fruitless I can throw that into?

Either Ryan or Romney wins the nomination. They would be likely options if Trump goes into the convention with the most delegates but not a majority and will likely trade up some if this looks like a possibility

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
Just made serious money on my Cruz 'No' shares in the Republican Nomination market after the whole NYT article on the Goldman Sachs loan. Half tempted to sell them before the Iowa caucus. God this site is my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

BedBuglet posted:

Just made serious money on my Cruz 'No' shares in the Republican Nomination market after the whole NYT article on the Goldman Sachs loan. Half tempted to sell them before the Iowa caucus. God this site is my jam.

I'm holding out for it to be above 50. I'm hoping the polls start defining the Cruz decline more seriously and maybe I can cash out at 80, but Cruz NO was definitely a good buy.I might even hold out until the caucus I'm so sure.

• Locked thread