Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well as I said, he didn't claim they were executed, he claims that they were killed and later on seems to confirm the infiltrator's statement that the land seller would be tortured.

So yeah while executions haven't officially taken place in PA controlled territory since 2005, there are somewhat suspicious cases such as the following: http://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=504634

So generally, I am not quite so certain that Ezra Nawi was merely boasting in order to impress the infiltrator.

I didn't mention that possibility for two reasons. First, extrajudicial killings do sometimes happen, but since they're extrajudicial, they're fundamentally difficult to predict - when Nawi reports people he has no way of knowing whether an interrogator or prison guard is going to decide to lynch them. Second, Israel is hardly in any position to be outraged about the extrajudicial torture and sometimes murder of Palestinian detainees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Neither the Israeli hypocrisy on the subject nor the likely possibility that Nawi is not intimately aware of the conditions of those previous land sellers he claims to have turned in to the PA and is merely talking out of his rear end have much to do with whether Nawi's actions were morally reprehensible or not.

And besides, you are making a rather huge assumption concerning Nawi's lack of ability to ascertain the ultimate fate of people he turned in to the PA, he is apparently a man who has operatives in the Preventive Security Force on his phone's memory, he might very well have access to first hand information which does not get officially reported. Again, there are several different narratives that might explain Nawi's statements, a rather large segment of the Israeli radical left has hitched their fortunes to those of Nawi and declared that there's absolutely nothing wrong with what he did and that his statements concerning the killing of those men whom he turned in were mere boasts.

There are certain arguments to be made for both narratives though I personally believe that while Nawi might be incorrect and that no one he turned in got killed or tortured he seems sufficiently convinced in the veracity of his statements to make him a scumbag.

Another thing, while I'm fairly convinced that the land seller he allegedly turns in in front of the hidden camera was an imposter hired by the infiltrators in a part of a sting operation, after that happens Nawi himself brings up the information about three more men whom he turned in out of his own volition.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Nawi has in the meanwhile been re-arrested, a gag order has been imposed on his case and he is reportedly not allowed to consult with his lawyer - http://972mag.com/israeli-left-wing-activist-denied-access-to-lawyer-to-be-held-for-another-week/115868/

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Neither the Israeli hypocrisy on the subject nor the likely possibility that Nawi is not intimately aware of the conditions of those previous land sellers he claims to have turned in to the PA and is merely talking out of his rear end have much to do with whether Nawi's actions were morally reprehensible or not.

Oh, absolutely. He's definitely morally reprehensible, I'm not disputing that. But that's not why security forces arrested him, nor is it why politicians and right-wing organizations appear to be so outraged at his actions - and intent on defunding or destroying virtually every major left-wing pro-Palestine organization in response. Honestly, this unusual outpouring of condemnation for violence against Palestinian civilians would be super heartening if even a little of it was genuine, much like the popular outrage against alleged Shin Bet torture of suspected Jewish terrorists. And personally, I find the nuances of the situations - like the obvious double standard in play here, the considerable political fallout making itself known, the fact that it's happening as several major anti-leftist and pro-far-right moves have been bouncing around the Knesset, and the clear similarity to the smothering of ACORN in the US - far more interesting than having to confirm over and over again that "yep, it sure was bad for that civilian to get murdered, regardless of what race or religion they were".

I can't really fault you for thinking that's something that needs to be discussed, since there are a lot of people in this thread (on both sides of the debate) who are disturbingly reluctant to agree with simple statements like "killing civilians is bad", but it's not like any of the organizations or entities actually involved in Israel and Palestine are making decisions based on morality at all (let alone some clear universal morality that everyone agrees on), so I find it to be of limited use for understanding the situation. The only real use of a moral debate is for us to make moral judgements about each other, and I wouldn't really mind skipping the next few rounds of the "try to bait the other side onto saying something you can use to portray them as being a racist or amoral monster" that certain posters like to engage in.

That ended up being a bit more meta than I'd like, so to make up for it, updates on the case! In addition to suspicion of "consipracy to commit a crime", Nawi is also being held for suspicion of "contact with a foreign agent". The "Palestinian" in the hidden camera sting was an Israeli citizen, so the security services might still come up with something later regarding his actual reporting. He was arrested yesterday, and had a closed-doors hearing today which determined that he will be held without charge for at least a week and prevented from speaking to his lawyer. Also, curiously absent from most media coverage has been the gag order barring the media from publishing any name, photo, or identifying information about this suspect. Honestly, I don't know why the judge even bothered.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

At the very least, whether it's this guy or Jewish settlers who burned down a house full of Arabs, I find it pretty loving horrifying that Israel feels it's perfectly fine to hold people without charge and also deny them access to a lawyer.

Edit: I should make it clear I find it disturbing that the PA do that too, if they do that.
Double edit: I should also add before TIC or someone accuses me of racism or being bigoted against people from the Levant, that I find it disturbing that this happens in the People's Republic of China. Just so you can rest assured that I'm not a pro-PRC anti-Levantist who is only here to downplay the humanity of those in that area compared to everyone else around the globe.

MrNemo fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 12, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MrNemo posted:

At the very least, whether it's this guy or Jewish settlers who burned down a house full of Arabs, I find it pretty loving horrifying that Israel feels it's perfectly fine to hold people without charge and also deny them access to a lawyer.

Edit: I should make it clear I find it disturbing that the PA do that too, if they do that.
Double edit: I should also add before TIC or someone accuses me of racism or being bigoted against people from the Levant, that I find it disturbing that this happens in the People's Republic of China. Just so you can rest assured that I'm not a pro-PRC anti-Levantist who is only here to downplay the humanity of those in that area compared to everyone else around the globe.

So you're a Zimbabwe defender then. We should have known.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Dabir posted:

So you're a Zimbabwe defender then. We should have known.

At least Mugabe doesn't try to deflect the criticism when you compare him to Hitler! :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The United Methodist Church is divesting from five Israeli banks because they do not meet the human rights standards the church has established in dealing with certain financial institutions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/w...v=top-news&_r=0

It appears that at least one of these banks finances illegal settlement construction in the West Bank.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

FlamingLiberal posted:

The United Methodist Church is divesting from five Israeli banks because they do not meet the human rights standards the church has established in dealing with certain financial institutions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/w...v=top-news&_r=0

It appears that at least one of these banks finances illegal settlement construction in the West Bank.

Isn't that illegal? I remember reading somewhere that boycotting Israel was a crime.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

drilldo squirt posted:

Isn't that illegal? I remember reading somewhere that boycotting Israel was a crime.

It's not a boycott, it's a divestment from five specific banks; and the reason isn't "they're Israeli" but "they don't respect human rights".

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

Nah, the law just prohibits U.S. entities from agreeing to participate in foreign government boycotts, or to provide information for that purpose. You, by yourself, can boycott whatever you want, as long as you don't do it in collusion with a foreign government.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

The Insect Court posted:

So it seems obvious there's a sizeable contingent of anti-Israeli posters who are willing to condone rocket attacks against Israeli civilians.

Would any of you like to contribute to the discussion with your opinion on suicide bombings? It seems that the arguments in favor of shooting rockets at Israeli population centers, such as they are, also would apply to suicide bombers. And on a related note, does the same moral calculus apply to attacks outside of Israel by Palestinian groups? Is anyone going to defend Munich or the Achille Lauro?

What is more noble than giving your life for your country and people?

I don't think that way. I'm more of the "kill all war veterans as they are class-traitors" mentality than the flag-waving sub-moron mentality.

But when you watch Independence Day and that guy flies the nukes into the mothership and sacrifices himself for his people, don't you weep a little? Don't you think it's bittersweet and brave of him?

The only reason your moral calculus is different in the context of suicide bombers is because you view Palestinians as vermin to be exterminated.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The tan shirt organization who've "infiltrated" Taayush and recorded a convicted child molester boast about sending Palestinian land traders to their alleged death has translated their video to English, so if you want to see first hand what's all the fuss is about you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/904556049651520/videos/904565392983919/

iirc the bits pertaining to Nawi's admission only feature in the last ten minutes.

Edit: Also, this

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 13, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

They're both wrong, so who cares which one is more wrong? The minute you start talking about which murder of civilians is more "excusable", you're not making a moral argument anymore, you're just making excuses for amoral conduct that you've decided is justified for non-moral reasons.

Because in real life you have to prioritize which acts to devote the most attention and energy towards preventing. Otherwise, you'd end up coming to ridiculous conclusions like "well, Native Americans also killed some European civilians so really they're both wrong." Sure, I guess it's technically correct, but it's not a useful conclusion. Even if the act of killing civilians is inherently immoral, the circumstances that lead to that immoral action are still important. Hell, even in Actual Law, the circumstances that cause someone to commit a murder are considered. It's generally accepted that a crime committed for no reason (or a malicious reason) is worse than the same crime committed with some excuse. It's still a crime, but its punishment is not as harsh.

Also, on a societal level, some level of violent resistance is historically the natural result of the sort of behavior Israel subjects Palestinians to. This does not excuse the individuals and groups that commit this violence, but it is ineffective at best (and at worst can lead towards the societal equivalent of victim blaming) to devote equal attention to condemning that behavior.

Another consideration is the fact that, again on a societal level, violence committed by or heavily influenced by sophisticated governments is inherently far more threatening and harmful than violence committed by individuals or less influential/sophisticated organizations. Even if you consider only the rocket attacks directly ordered and/or committed by Hamas, Hamas is not nearly as powerful or well-organized as the Israeli government and IDF. Even if Hamas did not exist, individual Palestinians would still attack Israeli civilians. Israel, on the other hand, could not commit its far more sophisticated war crimes without the backing of the IDF. So, in a sense, comparing Palestinian violence with IDF attacks is like comparing apples to oranges; they both involve killing civilians, but what they represent on a societal level is completely different.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
No, no, you don't get it. It's "both sides are bad, therefore taking a side is wrong, therefore we have to let the status quo continue forever instead of protesting it".

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

What is more noble than giving your life for your country and people?

I don't think that way. I'm more of the "kill all war veterans as they are class-traitors" mentality than the flag-waving sub-moron mentality.

But when you watch Independence Day and that guy flies the nukes into the mothership and sacrifices himself for his people, don't you weep a little? Don't you think it's bittersweet and brave of him?

The only reason your moral calculus is different in the context of suicide bombers is because you view Palestinians as vermin to be exterminated.

I always marvel at this sort of projection. Is it a cynical attempt to make the 'the only good Zionist is a dead Zionist' extremism of the anti-Zionist fringe seem less objectionable in comparison? Or is it because those who see the I/P conflict as a struggle between the forces of good and capital e Evil can't imagine how anyone else can see it any other way?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I'm always horrified by the continual belief that the actions of the people involved are what determines the justice of their cause. It's the root of all the emphasis on Palestinian misdeeds and the downplaying of Israeli actions as well, because the people who hold it have various reasons to avoid the conclusion that if Israel commits enough war crimes, it should be destroyed and all of its citizens with it, necessitating the belief that it's OK to burn people alive with white phosphorus because they're Palestinian. I urge such people to abandon their beliefs. Just because somebody does something morally reprehensible doesn't render them no longer human or worthy of moral consideration. Just because Hamas fires a rocket doesn't mean that it's acceptable to kill Palestinians for looking like they might have a knife.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Because in real life you have to prioritize which acts to devote the most attention and energy towards preventing. Otherwise, you'd end up coming to ridiculous conclusions like "well, Native Americans also killed some European civilians so really they're both wrong." Sure, I guess it's technically correct, but it's not a useful conclusion.

Even if Hamas did not exist, individual Palestinians would still attack Israeli civilians. Israel, on the other hand, could not commit its far more sophisticated war crimes without the backing of the IDF. So, in a sense, comparing Palestinian violence with IDF attacks is like comparing apples to oranges; they both involve killing civilians, but what they represent on a societal level is completely different.

The reason it's not a useful conclusion is because it's a moral judgement, and those are virtually never "useful". They just give you a scale on which to rate entities' relative badness, a metric which is not typically useful for stopping violence in the real world. Ending violence is not a matter of devoting attention or determining who's the wrongest.

Jewish communities were engaged in violence with Arab communities years before the IDF came into existence, and continue to engage in violence against Arabs today even when soldiers are nowhere to be seen. The IDF is not some fundamental societal shift, it just represents the skewed power balance.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Because in real life you have to prioritize which acts to devote the most attention and energy towards preventing. Otherwise, you'd end up coming to ridiculous conclusions like "well, Native Americans also killed some European civilians so really they're both wrong." Sure, I guess it's technically correct, but it's not a useful conclusion.

I agree, so the disproportionate focus on Israel is insane when Syria/Iran/Saudi Arabia/China/etc... still exist.

quote:

Even if the act of killing civilians is inherently immoral, the circumstances that lead to that immoral action are still important. Hell, even in Actual Law, the circumstances that cause someone to commit a murder are considered. It's generally accepted that a crime committed for no reason (or a malicious reason) is worse than the same crime committed with some excuse. It's still a crime, but its punishment is not as harsh.

You just said you care about consequences, but now you don't. If that's the standard, then Israel prevails because Hamas has genocide written into its charter, and in many periods, its actions have been to deliberately maximize civilian casualties.

quote:

Also, on a societal level, some level of violent resistance is historically the natural result of the sort of behavior Israel subjects Palestinians to. This does not excuse the individuals and groups that commit this violence, but it is ineffective at best (and at worst can lead towards the societal equivalent of victim blaming) to devote equal attention to condemning that behavior.

By this logic, Hamas's attacks radicalizing Israelis justifies the hilltop youth.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kim Jong Il posted:

I agree, so the disproportionate focus on Israel is insane when Syria/Iran/Saudi Arabia/China/etc... still exist.

this is the thread for talking about israel.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also Israel is heavily dependent on Western aid, so it's not unreasonable for Westerners to hold Israel to more scrutiny than say, North Korea, since their tax dollars are actually playing a role in Israeli policy. It's much more of a domestic issue here at home than something like the DPRK's human rights abuses that we're far removed from and play no role in.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dead Reckoning posted:

Nah, the law just prohibits U.S. entities from agreeing to participate in foreign government boycotts, or to provide information for that purpose. You, by yourself, can boycott whatever you want, as long as you don't do it in collusion with a foreign government.

And the US government has broadly considered all boycotts of Israel a collusion with a foreign government.

But yet the US DOJ will never ban lobbyists/political contributors cooperating with foreign governments.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Ytlaya posted:

And that is 100% the fault of Israel. While I would advise Palestinians to not do rocket attacks, I would advise them to do this in the same way I would advise someone to not try and fight a mugger. It's a bad idea to provoke a violent person, but you don't bear any moral responsibility when they retaliate against you. (edit: I want to be clear here that the Palestinians who shoot rockets *do* bear a moral responsibility for any people who are directly hurt by those rockets; they just don't bear any moral responsibility for Israeli retaliation.) Ultimately, Israel bears 100% of the responsibility for its actions, and discussing Palestinian violence in the way you seem to be ("if only they didn't do ___ they wouldn't have it so bad") seems to wrongly shift the responsibility/blame for Israeli violence towards Palestinians.

edit (I didn't notice at first that you had also replied to the rest of my post): That being said, I do understand why you'd want to bring up the rocket attacks, since there *do* seem to be at least several posters who are openly saying they don't have a problem with them. It seems pretty clear to me that, regardless of Israel's actions, it's still wrong to commit an indiscriminate attack often targeting civilians, regardless of how ineffective that attack may be. But it also seems like it should be an extremely low priority given the comparatively negligible harm the rockets cause + the circumstances leading to the rockets. It's difficult to really assign much moral blame when people in a situation like those in Gaza lash out, since it's a natural thing that people tend to do under such circumstances. So it's kind of pointless to spend effort condemning the actions of a group of people who are under significant stress.

Yeah, your position is pretty much the same as my own and if people weren't literally arguing "And here is why the war crimes of the side I support are okay..." in this thread then it wouldn't have gone on for anywhere enar as long as it has ended up doing.

The Insect Court posted:

Can I take this to mean that suicide bombings, stabbings, and other various terrorist attacks directed against civilian targets are not at all morally acceptable?

Yes, although it's not just terrorist attacks. Military attacks directed against civilian targets are reprehensible whether it's some dudes in a cave or a government, hence why Israel's actions are worse and the main to focus due to them committing far more deadly attacks on civilians by orders of magnitude.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Also Israel is heavily dependent on Western aid, so it's not unreasonable for Westerners to hold Israel to more scrutiny than say, North Korea, since their tax dollars are actually playing a role in Israeli policy. It's much more of a domestic issue here at home than something like the DPRK's human rights abuses that we're far removed from and play no role in.

But he said we're being utilitarians (before he didn't, because he doesn't have an argument so much as he's frantically grasping at straws), so the point is more how his argument falls apart using that standard.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Kim Jong Il posted:

But he said we're being utilitarians (before he didn't, because he doesn't have an argument so much as he's frantically grasping at straws), so the point is more how his argument falls apart using that standard.

I think you need to reread what he wrote because this and your last response don't really have much bearing on what he actually typed and don't really make valid point.

He was talking about our condemnation of Israel in comparison to Palestine when we're already focusing on the I/P conflict. This has very little to do with your point of focusing on other countries entirely and ignoring I/P and I think you missed the point.

You seem to have misunderstood at the point he used an analogy about Native Americans and Europeans and without actually reading what he wrote seemed to have assumed he wrote "Well we don't really care about this conflict, here's my reason for focusing on Israel." That's not what he was saying. Instead he was saying that within a conflict we already care about and look at, we're not going to ascribe equal morality to murders regardless of the context with the Native Americans in his example being analogous to the Palestinians and being the ones which are worse off with worse crimes comitted against them.

His point also wasn't utilitarian at all but rather was focused on morality, with him making the point that deeds that break the same laws aren't inherently as immoral as one another and context should be taken into account. E.g. someone who in the heat of the moment kills someone who's offended them is not morally as culpable in most people's eyes as someone who kills others because he wants to make a flesh suit. This is a fairly basic and accepted point in day to day life and Western law, which is the entire point that we have a range of sentences what criminals can be incarcerated for

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

By this logic, Hamas's attacks radicalizing Israelis justifies the hilltop youth.

Israel has been radicalizing sectors of it's populace WAY before hamas was even thought of. But you want to bring up hilltop youth, ok so let's discuss pricetag attacks. Or how about how international allies who arrive in the west bank to demonstrate nonviolently are assaulted while soldiers watch and do nothing.

edit: hilltop youth would be a cool band name

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Netanyahu has accused the EU of engaging in unauthorized and illegal construction in the West Bank in an effort to create "political realities", has compared the labeling of products made in the West Bank to Nazi oppression. No aneurysms have yet been reported as a result of this advanced new form of trolling.

He's also fired new shots in the ongoing diplomatic friction with Brazil, by refusing to withdraw his appointment of Dani Dayan (a prominent settler leader) as Israeli ambassador to Brazil. For those who haven't been following this, Netanyahu appointed him publicly without first privately consulting Brazil to gain their agreement first as per diplomatic custom. This, by itself, is not a huge deal; however, the reason that it's customary to work it out privately first is so there's no chance of the appointment being rejected publicly by the target country, which is generally considered to be diplomatically undesirable for both sides. And that's why, for months and months, the offer's just been sitting there ignored - Brazil has yet to accept the appointment, as it is widely opposed by Brazilian lawmakers, but actually openly rejecting the candidate looks bad diplomatically. Typically, leaving the appointment hanging like that is supposed to be taken as an unspoken rejection of the offer, which is supposed to be withdrawn and replaced with another. Now Netanyahu is doubling down, saying Dayan is the one he wants and he won't withdraw or change the appointment - so now Brazil is left with a choice between either rejecting the Israeli ambassador or accepting one they don't like.

Al Jazeera America is shutting down in a couple of months, citing low ratings and problems getting advertisers.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

Netanyahu has accused the EU of engaging in unauthorized and illegal construction in the West Bank in an effort to create "political realities"

There is no :ironicat: big enough for this.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

team overhead smash posted:

Yeah, your position is pretty much the same as my own and if people weren't literally arguing "And here is why the war crimes of the side I support are okay..." in this thread then it wouldn't have gone on for anywhere enar as long as it has ended up doing.

If your only argument had been that they shouldn't do it because it is a war crime it wouldn't have gone on for nearly as long. You had a bunch of other bullshit reasons which is actually what people were arguing against. Nice strawman though.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

If your only argument had been that they shouldn't do it because it is a war crime it wouldn't have gone on for nearly as long. You had a bunch of other bullshit reasons which is actually what people were arguing against. Nice strawman though.

God drat dude, we just covered this a page or two ago but you're already back to pulling this poo poo.

My only argument initially was just that it was a war crime. Go back and check my first post on the topic. My entire criticism is that it's an immoral war crime. If you think otherwise, quote what I said there that makes you disagree.

It only sprawls from that onto other subjects because you and other people on the other side of the argument try and justify these war crimes based on strategic necessity so I'm forced to respond. You can see these type of arguments cropping up directly below the post I link to. It's when people like you bring these arguments up in defence of war crimes that I'm forced to deal with them.

So in fact my statement of 'Yeah, your position is pretty much the same as my own and if people weren't literally arguing "And here is why the war crimes of the side I support are okay..." in this thread then it wouldn't have gone on for anywhere near as long as it has ended up doing' was completely 100% correct and you are claims are dead wrong.

"Nice strawman though."

Also although I got dragged into the other parts of the argument, I stand by the reasoning I used and if you've got a problem with it and think it's "bullshit" then show how that's the case.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Oh my bad, it was your second post that had the other arguments.

Edit: not my bad, I didn't even specify a post, but here is what I was talking about

team overhead smash posted:

Not using rockets isn't the same as not fighting back. "They can either go quietly into the night or take a stand and fight back" is a false dichotomy in this case. Palestinians have plenty of methods to fight back that aren't inherently war crimes and which don't disproportionately target and kill civilians. They can fire mortars, which are accurate enough you can specifically target military installations several kilometres away and which historically have disproportionately killed more soldiers than civilians even though most people lump mortars and rockets together in terms of Hamas attacks. They can stab a soldier in the face as they pass them on the street or at a checkpoint. They can dig tunnels and raid Israeli outposts. They can run soldiers over in a car. They can shoot at soldiers with guns. They could even have suicide bombers, though I wouldn't recommend it based on all the negative connotations.

But rehashing all that wasn't my point, your assertion that

quote:

if people weren't literally arguing "And here is why the war crimes of the side I support are okay..." in this thread then it wouldn't have gone on for anywhere enar as long as it has ended up doing.

is wrong because whether it was a war crime or not was not the bulk of the discussion.

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 16, 2016

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

How can it be a war crime if it isn't a war? Is there a point to even defining it along those terms other than to say 'aha, they are war criminals!' before you go make a sandwich or something?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

jfood posted:

How can it be a war crime if it isn't a war? Is there a point to even defining it along those terms other than to say 'aha, they are war criminals!' before you go make a sandwich or something?

War crime/terrorist action. The rocket attacks aren't morally defensible, but I think that looking at the entire IP situation makes it pretty clear why they happen.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Oh my bad, it was your second post that had the other arguments.

Edit: not my bad, I didn't even specify a post, but here is what I was talking about

I was responding to excuses for war crimes that were instantly being made by the people on your side of the argument who said it was okay based on strategic necessity and the like, not bringing them up myself. These spin-offs into all kind of other territory (practical reasons for why it's okay to commit war crimes!) appeared straight away in response to me, even though at that point I had only posted about rockets being wrong because they were war crimes

This fits my statement of 'if people weren't literally arguing "And here is why the war crimes of the side I support are okay..." in this thread then it wouldn't have gone on for anywhere near as long as it has ended up doing' perfectly. Peope instantly started arguing "And here is why the war crimes of the side I support are okay..." and the argument went on from there.

It totally blows your statement out the water, where you said of "If your only argument had been that they shouldn't do it because it is a war crime it wouldn't have gone on for nearly as long". "They shouldn't do it because it is a war crime" was my only argument to begin with and straight away, in the very next posts people started making retarded arguments trying to excuse this as a war crime which caused the argument to spin off from there.

This is all clearly shown if you read from the post I linked to onwards.

quote:

But rehashing all that wasn't my point, your assertion that

quote:

if people weren't literally arguing "And here is why the war crimes of the side I support are okay..." in this thread then it wouldn't have gone on for anywhere enar as long as it has ended up doing.

is wrong because whether it was a war crime or not was not the bulk of the discussion.

What are you talking about? I stated people were defending war crimes, not that they were arguing about whether something was a war crime.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and guess English is a second language for you because "And here is why the war crimes of the side I support are okay..." doesn't need to include people arguing about whether it is a war crime. The rockets are war crimes. If people either accept that rockets are a war crime and try to defend it or don't care either way if its a war crime but still try to defend the practice then it matches with my statement of people defending war crimes and that's what people were doing.

jfood posted:

'War crime' is just shorthand for any action which breaks international military law (often called International Humanitarian Law). It doesn't necessarily have to be in a war. For instance of there's a high intensity conflict but neither side officially declares war, it'd be pretty stupid to just let them commit war crimes against each other willy nilly. Similarly if there's a low intensity conflict, that doesn't suddenly mean that smaller massacres of civilians are okay and cool.

Here's an example from Article 2 of the Fourth Geneva Convention:

"In addition to the provisions which shall be implemented in peacetime, the present Convention shall apply to all cases of declared war or of any other armed conflict which may arise between two or more of the High Contracting Parties, even if the state of war is not recognized by one of them.
The Convention shall also apply to all cases of partial or total occupation of the territory of a High Contracting Party, even if the said occupation meets with no armed resistance.
Although one of the Powers in conflict may not be a party to the present Convention, the Powers who are parties thereto shall remain bound by it in their mutual relations. They shall furthermore be bound by the Convention in relation to the said Power, if the latter accepts and applies the provisions thereof."

Now look at that first sentence which states that as well as some of its provisions applying in peace time how it also says "declared war OR of any other armed conflict". It also, as it mentions, covers occupation, which will usually be the state for a the loser of a country for a little while after losing, or several decades in Israel's case. That's why Israel's occupation is a war crime, because even if there were no conflict there is still international law stating how Israel should behave and it isn't meeting those minimums.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Voted frigid loving zero. I'm the little Jew who wrote the Bible! I understand Ariel and I are learning from each other, a lesson for a lesson, and what's more beautiful than that? I miss the city, I want to grow things in poison dirt, I want to fill my lungs with traffic wind. Either all lands are holy or there is no holy land. The earth is the holy land! Every inch of it

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I am Mozart, rude and crude and brilliant! Your body is my piano. I palpate your handsome ivories

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I begin to dance.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Very interesting article that presents a newer strategy advocated by members of the Knesset and IDF officers as we inch ever closer to the next round of violence in Gaza over terror tunnels. It will be ignored, but it should be pointed out that there are Israeli Jews who are proposing these kinds of things. Quoting most of this because it's behind a paywall.

quote:

Following last week’s border incident, two members of Knesset opposition factions issued statements criticizing the government’s Gaza policy. Omer Bar-Lev (Zionist Union) and Ofer Shelah (Yesh Atid) serve as chairs of two subcommittees of the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, and both are members of its classified forums; they jointly drafted the committee’s (shelved) report into Operation Protective Edge.

Based on the statements they released, Bar-Lev and Shelah’s operational recommendations couldn’t be more different. Bar-Lev called on the government to formulate “a clear-cut, transparent policy on the attack tunnels.” He said that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu “is sleeping on the job. He and his government need to wake up. Under no circumstances can Israel adopt a policy of containment against the violation of the sovereignty of the State of Israel, as was the case on the eve of Protective Edge.”

Shelah, meanwhile, accused Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon of “paralysis, on the road to war.” The incident on the Gaza border, he said, was “another step in the escalation that will lead us to the next round of violence with Hamas. There is a difference between the gunfire of wayward organizations and laying an explosive charge along the border. Add to that the attempts by Hamas to execute terrorist attacks from the West Bank, and it becomes clear that, as in the period preceding Protective Edge, the enemy may not have decided that there will be a war, but it is ready for it.”

As Shelah sees it, the reason is obvious. “The economic situation in Gaza is worse than it was six months ago. The Egyptian pressure is suffocating, and the Israeli government is doing nothing to delay the war.” Netanyahu and Ya’alon, he argued, aren’t taking the initiative and aren’t reaching out to any parties in the region who might have the means and influence to take measures that would improve the civil infrastructure of the Gaza Strip, which could ease the economic pressure.

Politicians aren’t the only ones putting forward this argument. There is growing support among high-ranking IDF officers to promote infrastructure projects in the Gaza Strip, in the hope that by demonstrating the prospect of a new economic outlook, deterioration into another round of warfare could be avoided. In June 2014, just before Protective Edge, the defense establishment weighed an easing of restrictions on the import of goods through the Kerem Shalom crossing, but the step was not authorized. The easing of these restrictions was implemented almost immediately after the war.

Six months ago, there was an attempt to promote an initiative to build a seaport in Gaza, but it was shot down by the political leadership. Now a series of more modest projects are on the agenda that could accomplish two goals: bettering the harsh living conditions in the Gaza Strip (to some degree); this in turn would reduce the pressure on Hamas and the likelihood of it making a misguided decision to go to war again.

The projects being discussed include upgrading the power line from Israel to the Gaza Strip; supplying natural gas to Gaza’s power station; constructing water desalination plants; and further expansion of the border crossing at Kerem Shalom, which would even make it possible to import construction aggregate. Gaza’s needs are known: the power grid is faltering, with some parts of the Strip only receiving electricity for six to eight hours a day. Lurking in the near-distance is the issue of drinking water: The coastal aquifer is in serious danger due to salt in the water, and officials in Gaza are concerned about a severe shortage of clean drinking water within a few years.

Israel has reasons to oppose these projects. There is concern that some of the materials that would be imported into the Gaza Strip for the projects would be diverted by Hamas for military use, as the organization has done in the past 18 months with many imported goods. In addition, the issue of the return of the bodies of two Israeli soldiers, Lt. Hadar Goldin and Staff Sgt. Oron Shaul, is still unresolved. And even if Israel approves the infrastructure plans, it is by no means certain that suitable external funding would be found for them.

Other needs that have emerged in the region – such as the transfer of 3 billion euros (about $3.2 billion) from the European Union to Turkey, so the latter will assist in the absorption of hundreds of thousands of refugees from Syria (and ensure they do not continue on to the West) – are now receiving higher priority. Nonetheless, the Gazan time bomb is ticking ever louder. Ignoring the problem is liable to bring Israel back to the dark days of the summer of 2014.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.697771

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 17, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
There's widespread tension among the security establishment and Netanyahu on matters like this, that's not a new development at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kim Jong Il posted:

There's widespread tension among the security establishment and Netanyahu on matters like this, that's not a new development at all.

Almost entirely based around Netanyahu being a pussy, not in controversy over Gaza being unable to develop.