Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I honestly don't think Al Jazeera ever shook off the negative association it got from playing Osama Bin Laden's videos in the mid-2000s (never mind being run by Muslims). Remember that Time Warner dropped CurrentTV as soon as the sale was even announced. They later carried it but the drop just on its sale is telling. AT&T also dropped the channel right before it started airing, but for contract reasons (AT&T wanted more money)

it's also literally called 'al jazeera'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

This really sucks, it would have been nice if this was available on something other than the highest cable tier possible.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I can't help seeing his fellow "hunter" as a bearded man in a pakol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Potential BFF posted:

I can't help seeing his fellow "hunter" as a bearded man in a pakol.

It's the Duck Dynasty guy.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I am mostly reading this Bernie Surge the same way I read previous ones in that the Media really wants and needs something to cover, and at the moment the Republican Circus has died down a bit so it's time to dust off the Hillary-Bernie thing, and TeamHillary might be over-reacting a little, but it's actually encouraging to see her go on offense, because I think the bigger fear for her campaign -- long-term -- would be if they didn't bother and won without really ever getting sharpened, because whoever escapes the GOP Primary will have a seasoned campaign staff, even if they are damaged as a candidate.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MaxxBot posted:

That's too bad, I admit I was skeptical at first but they ended up being pretty good. I don't remember seeing any mind-numbingly bad clickbait or stupid troll articles, which is probably part of the reason why they're shutting down :(.

Every time I tried to go to Al Jazeera English and got redirected to Al Jazeera America I was disappointed. Al Jazeera English was much better.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Heritage, not hate! :shepface:

literally this.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

This looks like it came from De Niro's immigrant killing political ad in Machete.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Looks like Cruz found a acceptable place to wear black face finally.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah I've been a Hillary supporter but this week she is really pissing me off.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Every time I tried to go to Al Jazeera English and got redirected to Al Jazeera America I was disappointed. Al Jazeera English was much better.

I'm hoping they'll open up access to AJE livestream in America again. My old roku had their original app, and then they made everything stop working :mad:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

zoux posted:

It's the Duck Dynasty guy.

That makes sense, domestic Taliban vs. overseas, close enough.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am mostly reading this Bernie Surge the same way I read previous ones in that the Media really wants and needs something to cover, and at the moment the Republican Circus has died down a bit so it's time to dust off the Hillary-Bernie thing, and TeamHillary might be over-reacting a little, but it's actually encouraging to see her go on offense, because I think the bigger fear for her campaign -- long-term -- would be if they didn't bother and won without really ever getting sharpened, because whoever escapes the GOP Primary will have a seasoned campaign staff, even if they are damaged as a candidate.

This sounds pretty reasonable. If I recall correctly one of the 2008 regrets was not engaging Obama sooner than she had. The issue here is that going on offense agaisnt Bernie may hurt her more in the caucus states, which could draw out the race significantly.

The effect is that her campaign gets the experience they need, and they get a real nomination fight.

Edit: not to say this is some 10D chess move, it just seems to be a likely consequence of attacking Bernie.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 13, 2016

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

:drat:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Might mean more if Bernie was a Democrat :smug:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Heritage, not hate! :shepface:

Amazingly, this is actually the modified version that's more culturally sensitive to Native Americans

quote:

Whitesboro historian Judy Mallozzi said the current seal was adopted sometime in the 1970s after the village was sued by an Indian group over the depiction at that time.

“The hands of Hugh White were on his neck area,” she said of the earlier image. “So after the lawsuit, it was determined it’s part of our history, so we didn’t have to stop using the seal. We just had to move it, so it’s down on his shoulders.”

This was the original

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Amazingly, this is actually the modified version that's more culturally sensitive to Native Americans

This was the original

This one seems better. It's just a dude attacking a punk with a mohawk

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Trivia posted:

Saw this while waiting for the SotU to come up.

https://www.yahoo.com/katiecouric/yahoo-news-live-obergefell-on-the-state-of-the-160457331.html

(Watch the first 1 to 2 mins)

What am I missing here? I keep seeing this posted but idgi

V ah, got it when read but kept missing it in the video, thanks V

karlor fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 13, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

karlor posted:

What am I missing here? I keep seeing this posted but idgi

box can be a euphemism for vagina. The joke begins at the 1 minute mark

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

FCKGW posted:

This was the original

What was the intent behind the seal? To show "We're number one at exterminating Indians! gently caress yeah!"?

Should've gone all the way and named it Honkeytown or Klansburg or something.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They should come out and say that it's their founder of the town attacking a Native American imitator and in defense of cultural appropriation.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
How are you guys going to compare that logo to a tv show and not use Parks and Rec.

Leslie Knope is ashamed of you and Pawnee's racist history:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Relentlessboredomm posted:

How are you guys going to compare that logo to a tv show and not use Parks and Rec.

Leslie Knope is ashamed of you and Pawnee's racist history:

I no poo poo found a Pawnee-style mural in a Mexican restaurant in Florida the other week, so it's important to remember that Parks and Rec is more documentary about small town America than sitcom.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the full Duck Dynasty Ted Cruz thing, reminder that this matters to a lot of people, and their votes count the same as your'n's.
https://amp.twimg.com/v/59ff75ff-bfe3-438a-9a89-cdc654175ba8

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

zoux posted:

Here's the full Duck Dynasty Ted Cruz thing, reminder that this matters to a lot of people, and their votes count the same as your'n's.
https://amp.twimg.com/v/59ff75ff-bfe3-438a-9a89-cdc654175ba8

I would say the constant, open contempt Cruz shows for everyone not named Ted Cruz would disqualify him on the 'does he love us' front, myself.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Necc0 posted:

For some reason this will only be effective in a window from March to August. So why won't money launderers just wait this out? I guess maybe if they also see a noticeable drop in purchases during the buying season that will also constitute evidence of a rotten market?

I would think they would be on the lookout for any irregularities in the market.

Honestly the program kind of seems like the sort of thing which is permanently temporary and will keep getting extended indefinitely.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I no poo poo found a Pawnee-style mural in a Mexican restaurant in Florida the other week, so it's important to remember that Parks and Rec is more documentary about small town America than sitcom.

This is amazing, thank you for sharing. Where in FL? (I'm a reformed native Floridian)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

You guys still have nothing on DIA. This is literally one of the first things you see when you come visit Denver via airplane.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

RevKrule posted:

You guys still have nothing on DIA. This is literally one of the first things you see when you come visit Denver via airplane.

Don't forget the possessed horse statue that killed a guy.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://twitter.com/jeremyslevin/status/687384750445604864

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Blucifer didn't just kill anyone, that loving thing killed its creator. But while we're mentioning questionable artistic decisions at DIA, the new hotel attached looks like a mustache.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

On the bright side, Denver is probably shielded against all airborne supernatural threats? :shrug:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Relentlessboredomm posted:

This is amazing, thank you for sharing. Where in FL? (I'm a reformed native Floridian)

You will not be surprised to learn that this was in Lakeland.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

RevKrule posted:

Blucifer didn't just kill anyone, that loving thing killed its creator. But while we're mentioning questionable artistic decisions at DIA, the new hotel attached looks like a mustache.

Blucifer loving rules and I will not have anyone say anything against it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I need to know more about this.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Night10194 posted:

I need to know more about this.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/dia-sculptor-killed-by-own-sculpture

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What was the intent behind the seal? To show "We're number one at exterminating Indians! gently caress yeah!"?

Should've gone all the way and named it Honkeytown or Klansburg or something.

It's an amusing legend for how the town was founded. The founder fought a native chief for it, and they became friends. It's like Mexico City being founded because the Aztecs were told to look for an eagle eating a snake on a cactus on a rock in the middle of a lake, and they found it, or the use of babies suckling at wolf tits on Roman stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

foobardog posted:

It's an amusing legend for how the town was founded. The founder fought a native chief for it, and they became friends. It's like Mexico City being founded because the Aztecs were told to look for an eagle eating a snake on a cactus on a rock in the middle of a lake, and they found it, or the use of babies suckling at wolf tits on Roman stuff.

Still, not the best optics...

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

RevKrule posted:

Is Denver not aware that the Fallout series are just video games and not real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Thump! posted:

Is Denver not aware that the Fallout series are just video games and not real?

For the Real Internet :catdrugs: Google DIA mural NWO conspiracy :eng101:

• Locked thread