Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

I do think Toei deserves a bit more credit for some of their "filler" in the Dragon Ball franchise, beyond stuff like the driving episode of DBZ or whatever.

For example, Goku struggling to turn Super Saiyan for the first time? Probably the most iconic thing in the franchise? Most of that scene is technically "filler". In the manga it takes Goku about two panels to transform, and is kind of lame and anticlimactic as a result.

Here's the thing.

Filler is not inherently a bad thing.

Filler is anything that is not strictly needed for plot. There's a lot of filler even in work that isn't adapted from anything. Any time characters just do stuff that doesn't advance the plot in any meaningful way is filler- but that doesn't make it BAD.

Because filler can be anything from helping the pacing along, to character important stuff, to whatever. It doesn't have to be useless.

Good filler is stuff like the first transformation, which was increased in length because it helped make it more dramatic and important.

Bad filler is everyone reacting in shock at some one preparing to shoot an energy blast that they know won't stop the person being fired at.

Dragon Ball Z has a lot of filler.

Gohan VS Freeza, when he believes his dad is dead, is not bad filler. It fits the story fine, it makes sense for Gohan, and is a sign of things to come for him.

Gohan meeting Tao is similarly good filler because it helps explore Gohan's character some more and is just a fun adventure.

Cell going on about his backstory while charging the Kamehameha to wipe out the Earth is bad filler because it's pointless and doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

And ALL OF THE REACTION SHOTS are awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I really like the two episodes where the Z fighters are preparing for the spawned Cell Jrs to fly up and attack them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The entire Other World Tournament saga is an example of good filler.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
How long was the SSJ3 transformation in the manga? Because every second of the anime version was perfect.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vegeta's Final Flash really benefits from the added time too, the length of the windup and the shots of the turbulent skies and the lightning strikes coming off Vegeta really sell it as a Spirit Bomb-level attacked fueled by his own ego

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
On the other hand, the near episode long Perfect Cell transformation was awful.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

also if gohan never gets his poo poo together she is basically to blame for it

Gohan is an actual functioning adult whose only problem is that a lot of nerds can only reach sexual completion when they imagine Goku being the best, so he has to randomly forget how to be a competent fighter all the time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Boogaleeboo posted:

Gohan is an actual functioning adult whose only problem is that a lot of nerds can only reach sexual completion when they imagine Goku being the best, so he has to randomly forget how to be a competent fighter all the time.

*Akira "Bulldog" Toriyama

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Goten should teach a dragon to ride on a ball, that's what he should do. Have his family be the fighter, the scholar, and the dragon trainer.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Some Numbers posted:

On the other hand, the near episode long Perfect Cell transformation was awful.

I tend to forget about that when TFS completely just cut all that. I really like how they edit the transformations.

Wonder if they will keep the 5 minute SSJ3 though

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shindragon posted:

I tend to forget about that when TFS completely just cut all that. I really like how they edit the transformations.

they'd better.

I have fond memories of that moment. I saw it for the first time when the episode first aired in the US, went and took a poo poo and came back and it was STILL GOING ON.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shindragon posted:

Yeah, TFS did a really good job with Cell's transformations. They all took a lot longer in the original version.

As did Freeza's.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I swear to god Freeza spent a whole episode going into Third Form

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I don't think Third Form even lasts an episode before he goes into Final Form in Kai

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, TFS did a really good job with Cell's transformations. They all took a lot longer in the original version.

As did Freeza's.

Everyone has a loving debate on how to deal with Frieza while he is transforming.

This also leads to murdering Dende.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

WickedHate posted:

After playing the Legacy of Goku series, I can believe it.

In my experience random garden snakes were enough to completely wreck beginning of Z Goku.

Shindragon posted:

Yeah they handle the transformations really well, they're nice and succinct but still have the warranted impact.

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 13, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, for lack of a better place to talk Team Four Star Miscelleny, I decided to binge watch FF7 abridged while working from home today. It's...alright, got room to grow. I'm mostly struck by the fact that I can't decide how I feel about the fact that they're playing Tifa as a slut.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sounds pretty lovely, I also I listened to Aerith's voice and I was just done after that

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baal posted:

Sounds pretty lovely, I also I listened to Aerith's voice and I was just done after that

See, that's my first reaction, but...she's not, like, made fun of or openly belittled or anything. She's just extremely dtf, and the jokes are more written around her bluntness and agressiveness than anything else. I don't think they're slutshaming?

I have complicated feelings about this abridged series on the internet.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, for lack of a better place to talk Team Four Star Miscelleny, I decided to binge watch FF7 abridged while working from home today. It's...alright, got room to grow. I'm mostly struck by the fact that I can't decide how I feel about the fact that they're playing Tifa as a slut.

Uh

I don't think

They're playing Tifa as a slut.

Like she's a giganto bitch, but that's mostly due to parental issues like what Cloud laid out at the end of 10. And insecurity issues and what not.

Unless you have a very different definition for 'slut' than I do, Tifa has not been portrayed as some one who sleeps around. She was planning to beat the information out of the Don.

She uses her good looks to her advantage yes, but that's not the same as...anything you just implied.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean the reason DBZ abridged works is because the characters are basically just more exaggerated versions of themselves, even down to the voices. That just sort of sounds like changing a character entirely for... Idk, it sounds kind of comically bereft I guess.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baal posted:

I mean the reason DBZ abridged works is because the characters are basically just more exaggerated versions of themselves, even down to the voices. That just sort of sounds like changing a character entirely for... Idk, it sounds kind of comically bereft I guess.

Actually it's really not.

You quit before the episodes really hit their stride, as the latter half of season 1 is fantastic compared to the first half, but the characters all fit the same DBZA mold.

If a character doesn't have issues but should, like Tifa, then they give her those issues. Tifa in the games was weirdly upbeat and happy despite all of the poo poo she'd seen- this one is reacting more naturally. She's ALSO still very supportive and cares a lot about her makeshift family like the real Tifa. It's just hidden under layers and layers of psychosis and mentally needing to be a giant bitch.

The rest all pretty well fall in line with this also. Cloud is pretty amazing when he gets on a role. RedXIII and Barret pretty much make the whole trip worth it.

Hojo is fantastic and brings up the really awful truth of the games- he's a creepy scientist who just really wants to watch animals gently caress people. Like that's literally part of the game.

Sephiroth is so far dead on.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Burkion posted:

Actually it's really not.

You quit before the episodes really hit their stride, as the latter half of season 1 is fantastic compared to the first half, but the characters all fit the same DBZA mold.

If a character doesn't have issues but should, like Tifa, then they give her those issues. Tifa in the games was weirdly upbeat and happy despite all of the poo poo she'd seen- this one is reacting more naturally. She's ALSO still very supportive and cares a lot about her makeshift family like the real Tifa. It's just hidden under layers and layers of psychosis and mentally needing to be a giant bitch.

This sounds awful

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baal posted:

This sounds awful

It's literally what they're doing with Gohan.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

She was planning to beat the information out of the Don.

See, she said "No, Cloud, I was going to gently caress him" or something like that in a tone that made it hard to tell how sarcastic she was being, particularly since she followed it up with something like "He'll say anything once his pants are down and my hands are around his -" and then the episode moved on pretty fast, and then later she's clearly open to the idea of being made to 'breed' with Cloud. Like I said, some of the jokes could be read as "Ha! Tifa likes sex/the idea of sex!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

See, that's my first reaction, but...she's not, like, made fun of or openly belittled or anything. She's just extremely dtf, and the jokes are more written around her bluntness and agressiveness than anything else. I don't think they're slutshaming?

I have complicated feelings about this abridged series on the internet.

Everything I've heard about FF7A is that it lacks the respect for the source material that DBZA has and that really works against it.

A big part of what makes DBZA fun is that it's just close enough to the original that the jokes don't feel entirely out of place. (And the ones that do are some of the crappier ones.) I didn't enjoy what I saw of FF7A but it also felt like they were just kinda of shrugging and not even trying.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Burkion posted:

It's literally what they're doing with Gohan.

This sounds awful

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
FF7A basically feels like early DBZ abridge. I mostly kept it for background noise when I'm drawing but yeah it's not that great.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Everything I've heard about FF7A is that it lacks the respect for the source material that DBZA has and that really works against it.

I highly doubt that given Taka is the main dude behind it and he loves the game.

Spiritus Nox posted:

See, she said "No, Cloud, I was going to gently caress him" or something like that in a tone that made it hard to tell how sarcastic she was being, particularly since she followed it up with something like "He'll say anything once his pants are down and my hands are around his -" and then the episode moved on pretty fast, and then later she's clearly open to the idea of being made to 'breed' with Cloud. Like I said, some of the jokes could be read as "Ha! Tifa likes sex/the idea of sex!"

She was being extremely sarcastic.

You do realize that she was threatning to crush his junk, not give him a handjob right?

Also, she's open to the idea of breeding with Cloud because

And get this

She really likes Cloud but can't express it in a healthy way because of her gigantic daddy issues and crippling self worth problems.

They literally show it in action when Cloud and her nearly have a moment but she reflexively ruins it out of nervous habit after they meet back up.

Being labeled a 'slut' implies VERY different, much worse, things than anything you're bringing up, and no where does anything they've done support it.

She might be sexually open, but that doesn't mean anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

Also, she's open to the idea of breeding with Cloud because

And get this

She really likes Cloud but can't express it in a healthy way because of her gigantic daddy issues and crippling self worth problems.

Yeah, this basically doesn't remotely resemble the original character in any way, which is exactly what I meant. It looks like they went with the joke "she wears a lovely outfit" instead of "this is the character's personality."

Like the "Gohan is very angry and has father issues" thing is an exaggeration but it naturally builds off an element of the character ("Gohan has anger issues" and "Gohan's dad is gone a lot") while Tifa is literally the pure childhood friend from the country town in contrast to Aerith's street-smart playful city girl. If you wanted to do that style of joke it would make more sense with Aerith who literally does those things in the game instead.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 14, 2016

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Tifa in FF7 abridged rules. She's got solid dialogue and a really good VA, plus there's a pretty solid interpretation of the character that's still true to the original (and amusingly more true to the version of FF7 most people have in their heads from nostalgia then what the actual character was). Also, there hasn't been a single joke about Tifa being 'a slut'. There's been jokes about how she does want to hook up with Cloud, but can't express it. Which is from the original game, just amped up here.

Early FF7 abridged was pretty terrible, but the last few episodes have been quite solid and it's got a good foundation going into the second season.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is nothing lovely about suspenders

They are the tie of pants and incredibly sexy

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, this basically doesn't remotely resemble the original character in any way, which is exactly what I meant. It looks like they went with the joke "she wears a lovely outfit" instead of "this is the character's personality."

Like the "Gohan is very angry and has father issues" thing is an exaggeration but it naturally builds off an element of the character ("Gohan has anger issues" and "Gohan's dad is gone a lot") while Tifa is literally the pure childhood friend from the country town in contrast to Aerith's street-smart playful city girl. If you wanted to do that style of joke it would make more sense with Aerith who literally does those things in the game instead.

This below

Chickenfrogman posted:

Tifa in FF7 abridged rules. She's got solid dialogue and a really good VA, plus there's a pretty solid interpretation of the character that's still true to the original (and amusingly more true to the version of FF7 most people have in their heads from nostalgia then what the actual character was). Also, there hasn't been a single joke about Tifa being 'a slut'. There's been jokes about how she does want to hook up with Cloud, but can't express it. Which is from the original game, just amped up here.

Early FF7 abridged was pretty terrible, but the last few episodes have been quite solid and it's got a good foundation going into the second season.

Answers this just fine.

Tifa is A LOT like her game character. Everyone is really.

With one or two exceptions when it'd be hilarious.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tifa is tsundere for cloud that's the joke, don't overanalyse it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Baal posted:

Still weirds me out she started out in the Trapped series of all things.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I saw about 30 seconds of the trailer for that series and it was the most unappealing thing I've ever seen. I don't really think adding voices to a game like that can make it funny.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
WAIT IT'S KIRA BUCKLAND?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

Aerith – Kira “Rina Chan” Buckland Tifa – Sarah Ann Williams

Oh god dammit it has Sarah Williams too? gently caress you HGH, now I have to watch this crap

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Baal posted:

Oh god dammit it has Sarah Williams too? gently caress you HGH, now I have to watch this crap

Ill add it to the rwby synchtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ugh, fiiiiiine

• Locked thread