Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

My number one problem with Elliot is that I can never remember his name and spent the entire game calling him Ron Weasley.
whenever the game has you going around talking to everyone i always spend ten minutes running around trying to remember who i forgot

it's always elliot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Elliot is a sweet and gentle soul who has done nothing to warrant all this abuse

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Really Pants posted:

Elliot is a sweet and gentle soul who has done nothing to warrant all this abuse

He abandoned Rean and Emma when they needed him most! How else will they stop Lord Voldemort?!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Elliot is actually super good and is probably my favorite party member? Emma having slightly better EP and better ATS doesn't really matter that much when Elliot has so much more defensive utility (regen is incredible and the def buff affects him as well unlike Emma's equivalent, holy song is really really good) and his sleep craft owns bones, being a set M-size circle so you can generally hit everything with it. Canon is a pretty bad quartz, but his healing utility comes from crafts rather than arts so you can easily swap it out for something like Criminal or Aries. I would put Elliot and Emma on basically the same level, it's just a matter of whether you want to have a more defensive or offensive caster. It's Alisa I have a hard time using, because she's in the awkward position of having physical attack crafts and horribly lovely physical attack, so she's really only good for casting (which Elliot and Emma do better) and being a CP battery. Molten Rain just does embarrassingly bad damage even compared to Elliot and Emma's offensive crafts. She's a really good CP battery, but I find myself wanting to use Jusis or Machias rather than her if I want a supporter.

In perfect honesty none of them are particularly great, and given the choice my party usually consists of Rean, Laura, Fie, [Insert random other person here]. I just personally find Eliot the worst of the three, with Resounding Beat as the ONLY redeeming feature. but that may ultimately be down to playstyle as well. Regarding Alisa's physical damage, it's pretty sad but it is an S-Rank, so it's pretty good for consistently activating link attacks against relevant enemies, as opposed to the staves, which you should never be relying on to do so. Incidentally, Fie is almost always leader, since her attack is both ranged and triple advantages virtually anything.

As for Resounding Beat, does it even particularly help late game? I'm generally having no issues with normal monsters or most boss attacks, but typically finding that when they start throwing out S-Crafts they're generally overkilling even full-health members by a decent margin that I'm not sure the +25% def boost would stop, at least on Hard.

On a slightly different note, is there EVER a time where one would want to use Wild Card? Sure it's only 5 CP, but it still takes a turn in return for an utterly random effect, on a completely random target at that, you have no control over. Other than just because it amused you.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 13, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The nice thing about Wild Card is that it's always something helpful, although it doesn't always go to the best target.

ImpAtom posted:

He abandoned Rean and Emma when they needed him most! How else will they stop Lord Voldemort?!

He'll kick them around for a little while, and then they'll stumble over some deus-ex-machina bullshit that Dumbledore and the whole rest of the wizarding world knew all about but never breathed a word to them.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 13, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Lord Koth posted:

In perfect honesty none of them are particularly great, and given the choice my party usually consists of Rean, Laura, Fie, [Insert random other person here]. I just personally find Eliot the worst of the three, with Resounding Beat as the ONLY redeeming feature. but that may ultimately be down to playstyle as well. Regarding Alisa's physical damage, it's pretty sad but it is an S-Rank, so it's pretty good for consistently activating link attacks against relevant enemies, as opposed to the staves, which you should never be relying on to do so. Incidentally, Fie is almost always leader, since her attack is both ranged and triple advantages virtually anything.

As for Resounding Beat, does it even particularly help late game? I'm generally having no issues with normal monsters or most boss attacks, but typically finding that when they start throwing out S-Crafts they're generally overkilling even full-health members by a decent margin that I'm not sure the +25% def boost would stop, at least on Hard.
My party, given a choice, is Rean, Millium specced as a dodge tank, Elliot, and either Machias or Jusis, so it might be a playstyle thing! Laura is also good but if I had to swap anyone out for her it would be Rean.

Regarding S-crafts, buffs stack. Have someone cast La Crest and it will stack with the defense from Resounding Beat! This also means that Rean and Jusis in a party together can get everyone to +50% attack in short order in addition to a light CP refill and ATS and speed bonuses, which is nuts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really like Rean, Jusis, Emma and Laura. Rean and Laura are obvious, Emma does hilarious combat damage and I have Jusis spamming buffs/debuffs on cooldown or using his delaying craft if he really has nothing to do.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Regarding S-crafts, buffs stack. Have someone cast La Crest and it will stack with the defense from Resounding Beat! This also means that Rean and Jusis in a party together can get everyone to +50% attack in short order in addition to a light CP refill and ATS and speed bonuses, which is nuts.

Wait, WHAT?! Wow, that changes everything.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

They don't stack past 50% though. If you have a red arrow you have +50, if you have a yellow you have +25

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Does that mean Laura could also boost herself to 100% attack with Radiant Wings?

e: oh I guess not :saddowns:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Still, knowing I can double boost would have changed the way I played Chapter 3 a lot.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, I was aware of double-stacking. I just generally only use it for STR, and then blow poo poo up before it can hurt me in return.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
My rough tier list for characters go something like this

God tier:
Machias (Juggler master Quartz + status effect quartz + great crafts. Bit weak early but more than makes up for it later. He controls the flow of combat like no other, and his attack is AOE so you can get multiple enemies at once.)

Very Good:
Rean (Good Force Master Quartz user, great craft selection and he's on your team the entire game so even if he's not the star of the show, he can always Motivate the squad)
Fie (Insane dodge tank, with the right weapons and armor you can get her to a 95% dodge rate, so just throw her into a pack of enemies and watch as she counters them to death. I used the Thor Master Quartz on her, but Raven works just fine. )
Laura (Pure physical damage and the person I immediately slid the Force Quartz onto. Her S-Craft has a wide range, she's got the highest physical strength and she comes with her own self buff if the Domination Quartz + Craft start isn't enough to kill absolutely everything.)

Good:
Alisa (Basically a CP battery that can heal as well. I threw Moebius onto her for reasons, but I basically just subbed her in when the party needed a quick CP and HP refresh)
Emma (When physical attacks won't do, Emma has the ATS to take them down. I put the Criminal Master Quartz on her to maximize her damage and just went to town like that. She can heal in a pinch, but that's not her best role)

Eh:
Elliot (A weaker Emma with nicer healing. A good crutch in the early game, but basically like Marcus or Jegan, he gets outclassed fast.)

Bad:
Jusis (Just a bad Rean really. Weak S-Craft, too much of a jack of all trades so he doesn't really help in either category)
Gaius (I love you Gaius, but you can't do anything that Fie doesn't already have covered.)

Just including the original Class VII, guest stars and late arrivals have their own niches.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Logicblade posted:

Jusis (Just a bad Rean really. Weak S-Craft, too much of a jack of all trades so he doesn't really help in either category)

I'm guessing you haven't tried spamming Noble Command, then.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Logicblade posted:

Fie (Insane dodge tank, with the right weapons and armor you can get her to a 95% dodge rate, so just throw her into a pack of enemies and watch as she counters them to death. I used the Thor Master Quartz on her, but Raven works just fine. )
I've actually mostly been frustrated trying to use Fie and Rean as dodge tanks, due to their 1 range. Millium has been doing that pretty well for me, as long as I keep Insight up on her, since she has 3 range and hits like a truck when she counters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

I'm guessing you haven't tried spamming Noble Command, then.

Yeah, Nobel Command is basically the thing that makes Jusis own. He's way more of a buff/debuff bot than anything but that's a real powerful role.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm still pretty early in the game (beginning of Chapter 4), but Fie seemed insane with Force for me in Chapter 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I think the game is genuinely well designed in that almost every character has a really strong motivating factor for picking them. The 'worst' is that Emma and Elliot are a bit too overlappy and that Gaius really genuinely doesn't have a good solid role compared to the other characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah. compare to trails in the sky where scherazard, tita, and zane were all pretty bad

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

schera has her craft that instantly brings up targeted allies' turns, is the fastest caster and can use the female only +ATS gear, while zane has his +50% str/def buff and thunder god kick. they have their uses i'd say

now josette, josette is just awful. i don't understand

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe Gaius will be better in the next game. The only thing that's really worth it for him after grinding them all to 70 is his starting skill that unbalances/knocks down sometimes and that spot's already filled by Shotgun Nerd, Laura and late game Rean.

But now that people are talking about Quartz use, what are the go-to ones, master or otherwise for a Nightmare run?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zane's problem is that he wants to be the tank to agate's barbarian but the problem is you're using kloe and olivier anyway because they basically make the game easy mode, and they can easily heal agate through his rage shenanigans, so zane's slow rear end doesn't serve much purpose

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I'm finally on the Finale of SC and I noticed they pretty much gave up on translating Chibi-de Babbi-debu but I don't blame them in the least. It still works as a nonsense magic chant, and trying to keep both pertinent meanings in English would've been daunting.

Endorph posted:

tita, and zane were all pretty bad
I will fight you

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

leather fedora posted:

I'm finally on the Finale of SC and I noticed they pretty much gave up on translating Chibi-de Babbi-debu but I don't blame them in the least. It still works as a nonsense magic chant, and trying to keep both pertinent meanings in English would've been daunting.

mind explaining further because i'm not sure what you're referring to

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

zane's problem is that he wants to be the tank to agate's barbarian but the problem is you're using kloe and olivier anyway because they basically make the game easy mode, and they can easily heal agate through his rage shenanigans, so zane's slow rear end doesn't serve much purpose

Zane is sort of nice for a stretch of a Schera path playthrough, since he balances out the Agate-less party, (for me it meant that there
was a lot less of Estelle face tanking at the point). Of course once Agate shows up/the paths join, he pretty much headed for the bench
except for his plot boss battles.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Cake Attack posted:

mind explaining further because i'm not sure what you're referring to
There's that one monster that has Bleublanc's gimmick of turning you small (chibi) or fat (debu). It even comes with a unique status effect symbol, the meaning of which escapes me at the moment but I know it has something to do with being transformed.

leather fedora fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 14, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, just finished Chapter 6. The two boss gauntlet is pure hell even on Hard, so I'm already dreading what it'll be like on Nightmare. C summoning those little shits and then occasionally getting another turn before having someone come up that can deal with them was especially fun, especially if you aren't aware of them and what they do, and didn't have Faint resistance on all your teammates.

Also, heavily spoilerific speculation. :siren:Even if I hadn't suspected before, the oh so convenient cave-in cutting Crow off from the party shortly before C appeared would be incredibly blatant. Oh, and after that little end scene there's no way Sharon isn't part of Ouroboros. It actually makes sense in retrospect too - even aside from all the special talents, getting a member that high up in one of the most powerful companies on the continent would be a high priority.:siren:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
And the fact that the nobles seem very into this sowing Chaos business, I can't wait for Shotgun Nerd and Pretty boy to really start to bicker again in Cold Steel 2. Or at least see if Jusis still wants to be proud of his noble linage out of what I expect both members of his family to be up to. Oh and I definitely want to watch how Sarah and Towa react to what happened in 6.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

tita is good just for the blind craft with the huge radius

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Zane would have been really, really good if Taunt worked on anything ever. :sigh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

lets hang out posted:

tita is good just for the blind craft with the huge radius

Medium radius cannon and a status effect quartz of your choice is also rad as hell.

I had her with Petrify for a while in SC and god drat did she create an impressive statuary.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Saw some playthrough videos of CS.

In chapter 5 the person who saved them in Lohengrin castle, she seems show up with no prior foreshadowing. Is that who I think she is from Aoi/Sen?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Weissritter posted:

Saw some playthrough videos of CS.

In chapter 5 the person who saved them in Lohengrin castle, she seems show up with no prior foreshadowing. Is that who I think she is from Aoi/Sen?

yeah i read somewhere that it's supposed to be arianrhod (sp?)

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

yeah i read somewhere that it's supposed to be arianrhod (sp?)

Oh neat.

And I may have missed it, but is there a reason why they are localizing CS first instead of the crossbell arc?

Weissritter fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 14, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Weissritter posted:

Oh neat.

And I may have missed it, but is there a reason why they are, localizing CS first instead of the crossbell arc?

CS is vita/ps3 which are getting older by the day, the crossbell arc would be on PC (since they can't get the rights to the evolution ports) which will remain a viable platform

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I also can't wait for them to eventually go all Valkeria Chronicles/Fairy Fencer F with Cold Steel as there have been some good PS3 ports to PC as of late.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

CS is vita/ps3 which are getting older by the day, the crossbell arc would be on PC (since they can't get the rights to the evolution ports) which will remain a viable platform

That makes sense. Though I was surprised it did not have a PC port (I did spot Chinese localized PC ports of Aoi/Sen at the shops here).

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

More to the point, because Falcom told them to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair, falcom's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the crossbell games will own

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 14, 2016