Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Yeah uhh... gonna have to bury the emotionless robot theory once again, because I don't think those have internal monologues quite like that. :okpos:

Kytrarewn posted:

Does anyone have a source for reviews in anime magazines/newspapers for this episode when they initially aired? I'd love to know exactly what people in Japan thought was going on at the time.

Wouldn't first and second hand first impressions all be in japanese though? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

http://www.gwern.net/otaku has lots of stuff

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

this is media philosopher/cultural critic hiroki azuma's take on it from before end of eva was released http://www.ntticc.or.jp/pub/ic_mag/ic018/intercity/higashi_E.html

i think it goes without saying but probably don't click those links if you're a first timer..

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 12, 2016

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Am I the only one that cannot see any of the cool pics lho is posting? :(

Sakurazuka posted:

Some bits of Magma Diver are interesting, the stuff about finding an Angel in its embryonic state comes up again later and the 'thermal expansion in heat' scene at the end always gets a lol out of me, so it's not all bad.

It also has the swimming pool scene which is really cool.

:j:: Blabla bla Science! bla blabla Got My Doctorate! blabla blabla bla! Bla Thermal Expansion bla Blabla

Meanwhile, in Shinji-Vision:

Ah, youth... :allears:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I see them fine

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

this is media philosopher/cultural critic hiroki azuma's take on it from before end of eva was released http://www.ntticc.or.jp/pub/ic_mag/ic018/intercity/higashi_E.html

i think it goes without saying but probably don't click those links if you're a first timer..

I'm getting a strong sense of "I like these works, so they can't be anime" from his description of Miyazaki, Oshii and Otomo. I mean, I loving love Patlabor 2 as well, but to say it's "a complete break from anime-like stories and anime images" is just stupid.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Jostiband posted:

Am I the only one that cannot see any of the cool pics lho is posting? :(

Is pomf.cat blocked on your network for some reason? Imgur usually rejects them outright and when it doesn't it recompresses them in an ugly way.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

M...maybe? Me no good with computrons. :ohdear:
After a bit of running into ssl cert errors, I think my chrome just doesn't like the site very much. Oh well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've used this site for a lot of archival reads about NGE and if you navigate to the home page you find out that the owner is absolutely insane, which is cool.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

In Training posted:

I've used this site for a lot of archival reads about NGE and if you navigate to the home page you find out that the owner is absolutely insane, which is cool.

I was gonna quote some of his epic LSD self-experiment or when he writes like 5000 words and concludes that he'll take up smoking for the nootropic benefits... but I just saw he's got a patreon now and rakes in a sweet $300/mo just for being himself... respect.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
This isn't really about the series itself, but during the recap shinji/rei/asukas first names are given in katakana while the last ones are in kanji.

Anyone :japan: enough to know why that might be? I thought katakana was for loan/foreign words and names

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

.jpg posted:

I was gonna quote some of his epic LSD self-experiment or when he writes like 5000 words and concludes that he'll take up smoking for the nootropic benefits... but I just saw he's got a patreon now and rakes in a sweet $300/mo just for being himself... respect.

i want to be friends with him

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

In Training posted:

there's a 5000 word essay about haruhi that's also sourced and cited. this guy is loving cool

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Gwen is cool and really smart and very autistic. i enjoy his writing and general vibe. i wish I was as disciplined and organized as him

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I remember seeing that site a year or so ago but I didn't get around to reading much of it, I guess now would be a good time.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

What if Ulillillia wasn't neglected by his parents and left to play video games for 19 hours a day, and instead became a respected Internet programmer/philosopher?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

just wanted to try out webms

https://my.mixtape.moe/iqwfsd.webm

oh embedding turned off the second after i posted it, cool

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 13, 2016

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Welcome to the present!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

darealkooky posted:

This isn't really about the series itself, but during the recap shinji/rei/asukas first names are given in katakana while the last ones are in kanji.

Anyone :japan: enough to know why that might be? I thought katakana was for loan/foreign words and names

I think it's just a stylistic choice to make them seem different, or it could be because part of Asuka's name has to use katakana they made the others match.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

I think it's just a stylistic choice to make them seem different, or it could be because part of Asuka's name has to use katakana they made the others match.

It's probably something like that, although Imperial Japanese Navy destroyers did have their names written on their sides in katakana (probably for ease of recognition) and a lot of the characters in Eva are either named after warships or parts related to them. Maybe Anno just thought it looked cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That explanation sounds more likely than mine!
Asuka and Rei were the original shipgirls.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The rows of grave markers is one of my favourite images in the series.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's an extremely minor spoiler about the Rebuilds, but it's something I'm curious about so I'll ask anyway: Whats up with Asuka's new name in the Rebuilds? Is it just a different ship?

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

She got changed from a fleet carrier to a destroyer to keep the Rei counterpart going.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I had no idea NGE inspired Kantai Collection.

And now I want to throw up a little.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Speaking of character names, I wonder what Evangelion's relation to Raideen is. I know that Ideon had some influence on it, but Raideen also had Tomino's involvement and while I don't know anything definitive, I do know this: In Raideen there's a character named Rei Asuka, and also a character named Mari.

It's a shame that the show is only half fansubbed and the translator basically ragequit so it has been sitting like that for many years

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
"My crush isn't answering, I'd better leave a message that makes it sound like I'm being attacked." :)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

wanna see how that date would go

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Command Ant posted:

"My crush isn't answering, I'd better leave a message that makes it sound like I'm being attacked." :)

I wanna believe that she does that all the time.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the mother technique

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I love Misato's passionate wail of despair and self-hatred in this episode.

"I'm just like Shinji "

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
16 is a really big episode, but it should be mentioned how much character development was in episode 15.

Not to mention how heartbreaking it was.

"He smells like lavender..."

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

asuka in rare form this episode

e:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

16's a good episode since even at this point in the show they still have a sense of humor about some depressing aspects of the cast.

Like Asuka calling out Shinji for apologizing to avoid being yelled at

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Uncomfortable elevator rides: the series.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
ソヨカッタワネ。

:stare:

darealkooky posted:

It's the same in the end credits with just about everyone's names, and I've been wondering about that, myself. The best answer I can come up with is that it's a part of the themes of alienation and isolation that are a big part of Evangelion.

I'm fluent in Japanese. Humor me while I show it off here.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Now the show is really turning the screws, from 16 onwards I was on a ride that it was impossible to get off of.

I really don't understand how anyone can't be at least somewhat sympathetic to Shinji because good lord is all this some poo poo to be going through.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I can never think of anything to say in this thread but I've been enjoying this show immensely. Episode 16 was certainly a lot to take in.

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 14, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Man, both those episodes were amazing. It kinda sucks that the picture quality on this disc is noticeably crappier for some reason. Maybe I'll dl those blurays after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Whoa, those sure were episodes. I almost feel like I'm going to need to rewatch this all immediately after the simulwatch.

• Locked thread