Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Webguy posted:

Now I can't stop hearing Duke say "He'll build a wall and make Mexico pay for it."

Well, we all know what he thinks about those drat aliens stealing good American women!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

BloodFeastIslandMan posted:

The cop was in a car, the dead man was actually on a horse drawn carriage. I should have just linked to an article, this is from right after the incident. http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/15/jonathan-sanders-mississppi-chokehold

This seems to be the best sequence of events i could find.

How in the gently caress can you not get an indictment with that? HOW? What evidence was even submitted? Is there a public statement from the prosecutor at least?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Actually according to the cops it was a completely unrelated death because of cocaine. What a tragic and unexpected coincidence.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Internet Webguy posted:

Now I can't stop hearing Duke say "He'll build a wall and make Mexico pay for it."

I'VE GOT WALLS OF STEEL

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

This is so perfect :laffo:. I want this as a pastel painting over my fireplace.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

On Terra Firma posted:

How in the gently caress can you not get an indictment with that? HOW? What evidence was even submitted? Is there a public statement from the prosecutor at least?

Very likely almost no evidence was submitted, there is no compulsion that a prosecutor put forth the best case they can in the case of a grand jury, and the decision was known before the entire thing even started

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

On Terra Firma posted:

It's Mississippi and the victim was black. Even a sworn statement and video evidence of the cop screaming "death to niggers" wouldn't get them charged.

BloodFeastIslandMan
Jul 30, 2005
What are you doing here?

On Terra Firma posted:

This version of events is from the police chief, it's pretty different from those witnesses. If this is all the grand jury heard the no true bill isn't surprising at all.

quote:

Street said Herrington was backed into a spot where he was monitoring traffic, and he saw Sanders' horse-drawn buggy and a vehicle pulled alongside it in a suspicious manner that indicated a possible drug transaction. Seeing that Herrington was there, they chose to meet up at a different place.

Herrington knew the second party and pulled him over because he knew there were warrants on him. The man produced a receipt that showed he had paid his warrants.

At some point, Herrington gained information that Sanders was allegedly in possession of cocaine and was looking to distribute it, so he proceeded to stop him, Street said. During the course of the initial pat-down, Herrington found Sanders to be in possession of cocaine in a plastic sandwich-type bag. Herrington placed the bag on the hood of his vehicle and went to continue the pat-down.

Sanders then grabbed the bag of cocaine, stuck it in his mouth, and began to run, Street said. Herrington gave chase, and the two ended up in a physical altercation. Street said Herrington was not able to finish the search on Sanders, so he didn't know if he was armed or not, and when Sanders went for Herrington's weapon, he put him in a headlock.
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2016/01/11/mississippi-officer-not-indictmented/78627156/

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
edit: nvm.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 14, 2016

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

This version of events is from the police chief, it's pretty different from those witnesses. If this is all the grand jury heard the no true bill isn't surprising at all.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2016/01/11/mississippi-officer-not-indictmented/78627156/

Even if we take this completely at face value isn't it still manslaughter?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PUGGERNAUT posted:

How many hoagie shops do you think Diamond Joe is banned from

Well now that he's the vice president? The number's back down to zero.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's Mississippi and the victim was black. Even a sworn statement and video evidence of the cop screaming "death to niggers" wouldn't get them charged.

:smith:

The worst part is that this is completely correct.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

On the Bernie Sanders healthcare thing, is Clinton demanding that Sanders release a full plan that would have every detail, or a major bullet point thing? Because I don't need to see the former before an election, considering it would be a long as gently caress bill, but the latter would be good.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
How many more of these stories are going to have to be reported before regular people witnessing a cop hold someone down start to get involved and tackle the cop so he doesn't kill the suspect? Either that or communities start to work with the NBPP to provide neighborhood watch of their own and tell the police to just go away.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/687475293771010048

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is it common for candidates have fully armed crisis response teams at rallies?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Is it common for candidates have fully armed crisis response teams at rallies?

That's not even normal for a Trump rally. The Pensacola P.D. decided to play dress-up tonight.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

blue squares posted:

On the Bernie Sanders healthcare thing, is Clinton demanding that Sanders release a full plan that would have every detail, or a major bullet point thing? Because I don't need to see the former before an election, considering it would be a long as gently caress bill, but the latter would be good.

She basically wants him to admit it would need to be paid for with a tax hike so she can torpedo him in Iowa because people won't wait for the full explanation.

(which is: you are already paying private insurers most likely more money than you would pay in taxes, and getting worse care than you would get from single payer).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

The latter I'm pretty sure because even for her recent attacks the former would be pretty absurd.

Honestly I'm not 100% against saying 'hey Bernie...how are you going to DO these things you keep saying you'll do, ya know, the ones that require working with congress and all' so I'd like to see a major bullet point form of how he plans to expand and absorb these programs without local governments loving them.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
The most worrisome aspect of that image is how little it even terrifies me at this point.

Thank you, xanax.

edit: and I'm sorry, posterity. I'd say "we tried" but we really didn't

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Sir Tonk posted:

How many more of these stories are going to have to be reported before regular people witnessing a cop hold someone down start to get involved and tackle the cop so he doesn't kill the suspect? Either that or communities start to work with the NBPP to provide neighborhood watch of their own and tell the police to just go away.

It's not like this is anything new. These sort of police murders have always happened and their superiors have always looked the other way or made up some "evidence" to get them off without so much as a slap on the wrist. People don't interfere because they either expect the cops to actually take that "protect and serve" motto seriously or they know that they would be arrested with for assaulting an officer. When it's their word against a cop's, they know that they'd lose.

Until we get some real impartial oversight to prevent officers from getting away with this, we'll just keep seeing the same old song and dance.

EvanSchenck posted:

She basically wants him to admit it would need to be paid for with a tax hike so she can torpedo him in Iowa because people won't wait for the full explanation.

(which is: you are already paying private insurers most likely more money than you would pay in taxes, and getting worse care than you would get from single payer).

Taxes is a dirty word in politics and people are terrible about keeping up with money.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Yeah, this was the first thing I thought of, including several others (eg Operation Wetback with Eisenhower).

Then again, this involves a passing understanding of US history at all, which I presume is outside the grasp of the Republican Truth and Reality Correction Zone™. :shrug:

Hey that's not fair, why Donald Trump spoke about Project Wetback back during one of the debates!

I mean sure, he was saying it was a demonstrably good thing and something that should happen again, but at least he's aware of the history! :smithicide:

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

old article: Indian Nikki Haley Says She Is White

or at least she claims on her voter registration form

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pastor Perineum posted:

Being white is not an actual real thing, so w/e cool by me

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

quote:

self-race-mis-classification

That story does have something interesting to say, but if the word above is the basis of its criticism, I'm going to focus on criticizing her for literally any one of the other lovely things she's done

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

The cop was in a car, the dead man was actually on a horse drawn carriage. I should have just linked to an article, this is from right after the incident. http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/15/jonathan-sanders-mississppi-chokehold

quote:

The witnesses said Herrington was shouting to them that Sanders was reaching for his gun, despite the 39-year-old being unable to reach the weapon. The officer initially asked Witness 3 to help remove the gun from his belt, before changing his mind and asking for a woman who had been travelling with him in his patrol car to come out and remove the gun with Witness 3’s guidance.

This seems to be the best sequence of events i could find.

Why was there a random women in his patrol car while he was on duty? Aren't there guns that can't be fired unless your the owner via a wrist band or something that could fix this problem.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Khisanth Magus posted:

Sadly explaining how you pay for single payer instantly kills it, because it involves taxes, even if those taxes are going to be offset by not having to pay for insurance premiums.

You guys are so cute thinking employers would pass the employer contribution on as higher salary.

And why does "feeling the Bern" mean forgetting that many small employers don't offer health insurance at all so couldn't give the premium to their employee even if they wanted to? (they don't want to ).

Bernie doesn't have plans. He has mission statements. I'm getting fricken déjà vu from 2008. " Hillary won't promise me an impossible thing! :mad:"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I was going to post something about being surprised about military members getting caught posing with a candidate, then I realized that it was police in military uniforms. :0

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

McAlister posted:

You guys are so cute thinking employers would pass the employer contribution on as higher salary.

What? If you aren't paying premiums because it's coming out of your taxes that has nothing to do with what an employer does or doesn't do.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Internet Webguy posted:

I read this a Duke from The Critic and it was actually way better than the one you were referring to.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Geostomp posted:

It's not like this is anything new. These sort of police murders have always happened and their superiors have always looked the other way or made up some "evidence" to get them off without so much as a slap on the wrist. People don't interfere because they either expect the cops to actually take that "protect and serve" motto seriously or they know that they would be arrested with for assaulting an officer. When it's their word against a cop's, they know that they'd lose.

My point is that it's never gotten this level of coverage. Rodney King was the first one to get serious national coverage and now we get to watch it play out again every couple of weeks. It's going to wear on people eventually and probably before meaningful reform starts to happen at PDs nationwide.

BloodFeastIslandMan
Jul 30, 2005
What are you doing here?

the moose posted:

Why was there a random women in his patrol car while he was on duty?

Turned out to be his wife, i have no idea why she was riding with him.

Since we're talking about police misconduct does anyone remember the cop in Alabama who slammed that Indian man to the ground, partially paralyzing him? Today a federal judge acquitted him of civil rights violations after two trials ended in a hung juries. He was charged with assault as well but I can't find any info about how that ended. http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/prosecutors-block-testimony-excessive-force-case-36267612

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
since this will probaly be all over the news tomarrow. jakarta is has just been hit with a wave of bombings and their are reports of gunfire. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35309195

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pastor Perineum posted:

Like I said, both her and Jindal are so afraid of their own heritage that they pretend to be white. Another example of how accepting and diverse the Republican party is.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

withak posted:

I was going to post something about being surprised about military members getting caught posing with a candidate, then I realized that it was police in military uniforms. :0

Right?

So we've gone from just buying military hardware to police wearing full-fledged military uniforms with that hardware. At least the idiots chose the [second] worst pattern.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I saw Ted Cruz failed to declare about a mil in bank loans to the FEC. That punishable in any way?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
It shocks me that this sort of injustice doesn't result in straight up retaliatory murders and bombings from desparate young men. That's what happens just about anywhere else at least.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

I saw Ted Cruz failed to declare about a mil in bank loans to the FEC. That punishable in any way?
Given the deadlock at the FEC, probably not.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Y'know, blah blah militarization of police, but holy gently caress this is just terrible.

Is Trump taking a picture with the Fallujah PD ("To protect and rendition")?

DemeaninDemon posted:

We're in full on calvinball territory with elections. You could probably physically assault people to keep them from voting and they'd shug and say its kosher.
Hell, you could openly solicit donations in prime time saying "I will vote however you ask me to for $500,000" and the FEC would be more impotent than Bush off coke.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Nikki Haley isn't white?

• Locked thread