Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Probably forgot to speak with her in the garden after the first meeting with the Duke.
That would be it. I'll make a note not to run off and go sight-seeing in the big city this time round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octo1
May 7, 2009
I'm not sure how this goonie steam group is going to result in me getting non-terrible pawns, but sure! Sign me up!

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

PunkBoy posted:

Capcom Unity is streaming the game right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity

That didn't seem to last long. Anything interesting said or was it just a stream to show the game?

Octo1 posted:

I'm not sure how this goonie steam group is going to result in me getting non-terrible pawns, but sure! Sign me up!

You should hopefully avoid the small child-like girl pawns 90% of the user base appear to use

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I'd like an invite too please.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/MichaelBoltonWanderers/

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Does the game unlock at the same time everywhere or should I be using tricks to unlock it early?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Reason posted:

Does the game unlock at the same time everywhere or should I be using tricks to unlock it early?

Global Steam update release. 10AM PST, 1PM EST, 5PM GMT.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've never preloaded a game, does it take long to unpack or decrypt or whatever it does

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
Depends on the size of the game usually. For me with a game about this size can be anywhere between 15 to 30 minutes.

I think it would probably be faster on an SSD though. (Which I do not have)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mreglue/

Dunno if I'm in the group yet, here's my ID.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Danith posted:

That didn't seem to last long. Anything interesting said or was it just a stream to show the game?

You should hopefully avoid the small child-like girl pawns 90% of the user base appear to use

Mostly just them showing the game

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity/v/35289285

Orv
May 4, 2011
Something something roleplay invite me please.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

unless the time range is like two days + it's going to be faster than this garbage mountain internet anyway so I'm not too worried, just curious.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Honnou/

Give me your pawns, that I might throw them off cliffs and into wolves that hunt in packs.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Babe Magnet posted:

unless the time range is like two days + it's going to be faster than this garbage mountain internet anyway so I'm not too worried, just curious.

I'll mail you a disk with with DDA on it

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'd like to get in on the steam group to see what horrifying creations you guys come up with.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/the_baron/

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away
What are good inclinations for a tank pawn and how do I go about ensuring it has those and not garbage Guardian or Nexus

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rrussom posted:

I'll mail you a disk 30 floppy disks with with DDA on it

It'll install at about the same speed this way.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dante18907 posted:

What are good inclinations for a tank pawn and how do I go about ensuring it has those and not garbage Guardian or Nexus

You choose their starting inclinations with four questions when making them. From that point on never use Pawn commands and that should keep them from ever getting those.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Invite for hot pawn on pawn action: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lovehammer/

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Genocyber posted:

You choose their starting inclinations with four questions when making them. From that point on never use Pawn commands and that should keep them from ever getting those.

They do still end up changing over time no matter what. The way inclinations are handled is maybe my least favorite part of this game. You can force inclinations on your pawns with those inclination elixirs though, and as long as you come back and do it again every now and then you can keep your pawn acting as you want them.

For anyone unfamiliar, once you get a short ways through the game (maybe once you reach Gran Soren?), a guy in The Encampment will sell a whole bunch of weird poo poo for Rift Crystals, including pawn inclination elixirs. If you wanted your pawn to be Scather primary and Pioneer secondary, you'd drink like 5 Pioneer Elixirs, and then drink like 10 Scather Elixirs afterwards. It should stay that way for quite awhile since you've bottomed out the other inclinations by doing it this way, but don't be surprised if you need to repeat this a couple more times over the course of the game as various things start influencing your pawn.

You can find a whole lot more info here.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 14, 2016

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

How useful is Utilitarian, anyway? I always gave my pawn Scather or Challenger as their primary on the console version because I didn't know what Utilitarian did. Knowing a little more now, it sounds like it'd be really good for a support mage or a sorcerer. Would it be good for a tank as well?

e: I bet (one of scather/challenger/mitigator) primary with pioneer secondary would be pretty cool for a tank pawn, now that I think about it.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
http://steamcommunity.com/id/commissarmackie

Invites are weak to fire. Give me one to the group, please.

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
For those worrying about skills and whatnot: there's a ring on Bitterblack Isle that gives you a DP bonus (or whatever the vocation points are called) . It's very handy for acquiring skills rapidly early on in the game, so you have more options in the lower level content, allowing you to experiment with vocations without worrying about loving your "build" too much. It is kind of a bitch to get, but is possible as soon as you go to BBI. It's on the DD wiki, make sure you know the location, because you have a one-use key type item and the game auto-saves as soon as you open one of the doors.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Ring_of_Perseverance

I highly recommend getting the ring and going through all the vocations, they're all fun and it's difficult to really screw your character up unless you go solely magic archer or mystic knight all the way to 100. And even with a bad build, the endgame equipment can round out your attributes. If you want to get really crazy, get the ring in normal mode then start a hard mode game with your character to get 2 of them.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
http://steamcommunity.com/id/WillFrey

cant wait to get in on this

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I normally play spellcasters but the casting animations are so long in the videos I watched :(
It's a shame, the spells look awesome

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ZZZorcerer posted:

I normally play spellcasters but the casting animations are so long in the videos I watched :(

Spells have multiple tiers, you're probably watching people casting the highest tier of the most powerful spells. Normal things like fireballs or laser shotguns don't take long.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Why is everyone from the Steam group adding me to their friends list? Is it so they can use my pawn?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

http://steamcommunity.com/id/thymely/

Group invite, please!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ZZZorcerer posted:

They're probably higher tier spells. One of the cooler things about the spell system is that when you upgrade a spell to a higher tier you cast that version by allowing the charge bar to fill up more. Release it after filling it once and you'll do the basic version, adding a bit of tactical choice to the mix (also the reason why you have to consider carefully if you want to upgrade a pawn's spells, because they're only ever cast the highest tier version they can). Generally speaking the first/maybe second tier are enough for most encounters, with the bigger stuff only necessary for the larger beasts.

Another cool thing you can do as a Mage/Sorcerer is to buff your own staff with an element and then use the basic attack. It will change from physical to whatever is the damage type of the buff, making it a potent damage dealer for how quick it is. In fact, the upgraded Sorcerer basic attack, buffed with an element something is weak to, is actually one of the best spells in the game in terms of cast speed to damage ratio.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Why is everyone from the Steam group adding me to their friends list? Is it so they can use my pawn?

Dingaling ding. Being friends with someone removes level restrictions for pawn access.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ZZZorcerer posted:

Spellcasting in this game is mostly about tucking yourself away at the edge of a battle, starting a cast when you feel comfortable, and tensing up when something gets close enough to interrupt you. When you do get a big spell off though, it can end the fight right there.

That being said, not all of your spells take as long to cast as the high end sorcerer stuff. You've got your medium-length spells like Comestion which you can get off fairly reliably while doing great damage + crowd control, and are usually the best option imo. You've also got super quick casting spells like Ingle or Levin, but they're pretty weak. And lastly, you have charge attacks from your staff which you can charge while moving and can be fired while jumping. Depending on what weapon enchant you're using, those charge attacks can behave quite differently. The most generally useful is holy, which homes in on enemies. It isn't super flashy, but it works well and is extremely important in situations where mobility is key.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So if my endgame is one hybrid class, should I go through other classes first to get augments before starting as my final form?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tae posted:

So if my endgame is one hybrid class, should I go through other classes first to get augments before starting as my final form?

Yeah, this is a good way to do things.

And on the subject of sorcerer spells, don't underestimate Miasma. It's easy to see that it's a dot and blow it off altogether, but it in fact owns super hard and casts very quickly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

You can also just kind of hop back and forth as you want. Like, if you get an itch to play that hybrid class before your build is "ready," it's fine to go and play it for a while, then go back to getting augments from other classes later.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
If you have a pawn that knows the same spell they'll shorten the casting time by mirroring the spell.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vargs posted:

Spellcasting in this game is mostly about tucking yourself away at the edge of a battle, starting a cast when you feel comfortable, and tensing up when something gets close enough to interrupt you. When you do get a big spell off though, it can end the fight right there.

That being said, not all of your spells take as long to cast as the high end sorcerer stuff. You've got your medium-length spells like Comestion which you can get off fairly reliably while doing great damage + crowd control, and are usually the best option imo. You've also got super quick casting spells like Ingle or Levin, but they're pretty weak. And lastly, you have charge attacks from your staff which you can charge while moving and can be fired while jumping. Depending on what weapon enchant you're using, those charge attacks can behave quite differently. The most generally useful is holy, which homes in on enemies. It isn't super flashy, but it works well and is extremely important in situations where mobility is key.

Also you can make a whip out of lightning and kill the poo poo out of small enemies/stunlock big dudes.

Its my favorite spell :allears:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So it seems like the Great Cannon fps lag is still in the game, and it's not because the game has problems registering what's happening, it's just the way hitstun works in this game. I'll upload a video in a bit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I wonder how long it's going to take people to figure out how to edit your save and give yourself Gold Idols so you don't have to do that stupid mission with the kid. :v:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Danith posted:

Allright, you convinced me. Somebody please send an invite!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kingofspookiness/

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I wonder how long it's going to take people to figure out how to edit your save and give yourself Gold Idols so you don't have to do that stupid mission with the kid. :v:

Save editing was already a thing on the console versions and IIRC it's super easy cause the save file is just a text file. I'd be surprised if they changed anything for this release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Yeah, if people are on your friends list, the pawns are (assuming it's the same as the console versions) free to rent for that person while still giving you the full reward for being rented and they're also in a separate list that makes it easier to find than in the big list of pawns.