Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Nope. I think the game checks and applies diminishing returns accordingly at the moment you attack or get attacked. At least that's what I've seen from testing things out. So order doesn't matter, the buff power does.

What's the criteria for applying diminishing returns if you have, for example, 2 30% ATK buffs on someone and a 30% DEF debuff on the target? They're all of equal power, then.

Also I really wish it was easier to find info on newer EO games besides deciphering Google Translate on the @wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

What's the criteria for applying diminishing returns if you have, for example, 2 30% ATK buffs on someone and a 30% DEF debuff on the target? They're all of equal power, then.

Also I really wish it was easier to find info on newer EO games besides deciphering Google Translate on the @wiki.

Dunno, I guess it's applied randomly in that case? It's still 100-60-20-0 like everything else. All I know is that the game doesn't screw you over if you use buffs that are at different levels. Like a level 20 Attack Order (40%) and then something like a level 10 Warrior Song (30%). The game will always apply the 60% reduction to Warrior Song in that case, even if it was cast first. (1.4 * 1.18 would net you a 1.65 multiplier while 1.3 * 1.24 would net you a 1.61 multiplier instead.)

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Tyler, Sophie, Realga

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Freyja, Asriel and Rheine. What's the abbreviation for our pretty pretty princess class? SO?

One vote for Café Café.

Arianna: even in your labyrinth, M.O.E. Tone it down a bit, lady?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Jackie, Tyler, Sophie.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Votes are currently:

quote:

Sophie: 10
Realga: 5
Rheine: 5
Stardust: 3
Zack: 3
Asriel: 3
Tyler: 3

Jackie: 2
Freyja: 1
Phoebe: 1
Nadia: 0
Milly: 0
Colette: 0
Ursa: 0
Ranger: 0

I'll be leaving votes open until I return home. As they are right now, we have a two-way 2nd place tie, and a four-way 3rd place tie.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Tyler, Jackie, and Phoebe

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Stardust, Sophie, Tyler

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Omobono posted:

Freyja, Asriel and Rheine. What's the abbreviation for our pretty pretty princess class? SO?

Yeah. And the reason the name got changed from Prince/ss to Sovereign was because it interfered with Protector. Wonder if that name will stay the same in EO3U or so.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 7: Never Trust An Animal (Except Wolves)

Previously on this Let's Play of Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold...

And the name that was voted on was...

How brilliant! How bursting with creativity! It's perfect.

Now, Regina doesn't have anything more to say after that, but there is an audio only conversation we can listen to.

Ohh...
You're kind of in my way, there.
Oh, pardon me. I'll move over here, then.
Ohhhhh...
Ugh. It's not about where you are, you're distracting me. What's with you, anyway?
My apologies, I couldn't help but gaze in awe at your lovely technique, Dame Regina.
Of all things to say-fine! Just try not to get in my way, alright?
Of course!

What a pain.
Hey, come on now. We already accepted the job, didn't we? You're starting to sound like a certain cranky old man.

To recreate this, we'll need Rye and Sugar Beets. Ms. Blondie said we can find Rye on the 1st floor, and Sugar Beets on the 2nd floor. If we can find it in the Labyrinth... Should we look for them in places we can Mine, Take, and Chop?
Yes, a fine idea. Let us first look for a suitable place to search for those ingredients. At once, it is coffee, and yet not coffee...! I'm very curious as to its preparation, and how it might taste!

And let's head to the 2nd floor of the Labyrinth.

That... looks bad. Why don't we wrap up the exploration and call it a day?
What if it's here tomorrow?
Isn't it obvious? We sleep at the inn and wait until it disappears.
Sir Bertrand, our lodging bill would quickly grow unmanageable if we did such a thing...

Well there's an obvious solution to that.

We can do it if we camp out.
Why're you acting like our hotel bill is the problem here!?
It's hardly the point. If we don't figure out a way around this thing, we'll never catch up to the guard.
Oh dear... you're quite right. Well then, let us remain here until we've found a way to proceed.

I get past it.

Same thing as in Classic. I go to the room on the right and find a Sugar Beet from the Mine point.

No, that's a beta vulgaris.
Is that... like a betta fish?
A beta vulgaris is a beta vulgaris.
...Chloe. You're not helping.
It's, hm... like a daikon radish, but not. When you boil this one, it turns into sugar. Say, isn't this the Sugar Beet the kid at the cafe wanted?
Ah! I see it plainly now! Well then, we have the Rye already, so let us take these back to Dame Regina!

I head back to Cafe to cook up some coffee.

Yeah, looks like what I asked for... Rye and Sugar Beets. With this, I can try that recipe! Time to make this coffee now. You can just leave the rest to me.
Um, is there any way that we can help you with the process? It sounds like quite an interesting recipe. I would like to be of some assistance, even if it's in the most minor capacity!
Assistance...? You?

Is that okay?
...Well, if you want to give me a hand, I won't stop you. The recipe itself isn't all that complicated. Well then, let's see if you can give me a hand with Apicius's coffee substitute.

And here's one of the side stuff that we can do. Cooking! We're given a tutorial on it.

Well, let's go make some coffee.

Alright, let's try making a new dish!

If you use the right ingredients, that happens.

Alright, I have made Hi Lagaar Coffee!
Wow, that's incredible...! It's coffee, but without the use of coffee beans!
The aroma is so soothing... It is amazing that you were able to make this with that technique!
Yeah, that's a bold process that only Apicius could come up with. Come to think of it... I have heard that Apicius' cooking gave people mystical powers. It might be useful to your adventures, so why don't you have a drink before going out?

The game then tells us about how food works.

Do you know any more recipes? I want to make more food...
Yeah. Currently three recipes are known. Could you help me develop the menu? If you just bring me the ingredients, I'll take it from there.

More specifically, it heals the party for 15% of their max HP for every 9 steps they take. Which is basically 1.6666% for every step you take. Meh.

So anyways, what you saw there was a restaurant skit. Classic Mode misses out on those, but in Story Mode, the party will comment on the dish that was made. I'll make sure to show all of those off. Oh, and thanks to Hobgoblin2099 for providing a transcript of these scenes.

Here's another recipe we can complete right now.

Sorry to keep you waiting. It's done.
Huh... A-A snail!?

Snail cooking...?
Oh, no, Sir Knight. This is called escargot.
Nah-ah. The escargot I know isn't this big!

That looks good!
...Huh!? But don't you think it's a bit too big?
Sir Flavio, this is an established dish known as escargot.
Well... yeah, but...

And the conversation continues on from there.

You didn't do your homework, kid. The bigger they are, the more valuable they get.
...Huh? R-Really?

But the taste is exquisite. It is stronger and richer than normal escargot.
I can't wait.
I would love to have this as well. I have not eaten escargot since I've left my homeland.

I want to eat, too.
Of course, go right ahead. I'll add this to my menu, so you can order it whenever you want.

...Ah, fine then. I'll cut it up for Arianna, Bertrand... and Chloe. You and Flavio don't need it, right? I'll add this to the menu so you can order it whenever you want. ...Hmph.
*sigh*

And this increases the amount of ingredients we get at item points. Handy if we want to farm for dishes.

Oh, it's alright. Just put all your dirty laundry by the door. I'll wash them all for you. Exploring the Labyrinth is all well and good, but you loves should try touring the city a bit too, you know? High Lagaard is really a beautiful city. It might be nice for you to look at the Labyrinth from the outside for a change!

The NPCs do have one time dialogue for the restaurant opening up, but Hanna's dialogue is the same as it was in Classic, so I'm not showing that. Anyways, I could use some sleep.

S-Sure I do!

That's a lie... I can tell by how you look away when you say it.
......You see, at home... I'm called the Daughter of the Mark. My great-grandma lives with us, and she keeps telling me that I have an important role... I never was allowed to play with anyone my age. I had no friends.
Which is why I'm so happy to have come to the Midgard Library to study! You are my first and only friend.
So, Knight... if ever there is a time that I'm in trouble, will you come and aid me?

Flavio's not your friend?

Er, well... Flavio is a friend too, but not in the same way.
When there is trouble, it is you that I want to reach out and help! So promise me!
The weather is lovely. Let us visit the waterfall on the far end of the woods! Flavio's waiting for us.

And then we wake up.

Abigail gives us a tutorial on Blast Grenades. Unlike in EOU, these are actually useful in these game, and will effectively neuter a couple of dangerous encounters.

Don't stock up on too much of them, but having 3 on hand is usually enough.

I don't think we can pay you...
Oh, it's fine! The one I gave you is just a sample--we're passing them out for free! And besides, Dad says sometimes you've got to spend money to make money. I don't really get what that means, but knowing my dad, I bet it's a phrase that'll make everyone happy! Oh, um, sorry for taking so long. That's all I had to tell you. Please, take your time and look around!

Incidentally, Abigail's cafe and 2F dialogue are the same as in Classic. But there are quests you can take in the bar that involve unlocking some equipment. If you've already done that before taking the quest, you'll get some different dialogue once you enter the store again.

I think there's been a mix-up... I just told Cass to cancel that request! You already brought me all the materials I needed to make it, so... But I'm still grateful, and I'm sorry for any trouble I caused. I'm just not used to this... It was my first time leaving a request, and I didn't know if anyone would respond... Oh, but you know what? I left the reward with Cass, so you can still claim it from him! If I need anything else, I'll leave you all a request on the notice board!

While I won't be showing off stuff that was already shown in Ragnar's Classic Mode playthrough, I will be covering stuff he missed.

The hell's the matter with 'em...? I know this place is a bar, but we make a lot of our cash from the food we serve at lunch. ...Hey, yeh lot. What say yeh go do some investigatin' fer me? Yeh don't want the old Stickleback to shut down... Yeh'll help, right?

What!? Oh, c'mon! Who's more important to yeh, the Grand Duchy or old Cass!?

I think that's actually supposed to be Flavio talking. Whoops!

Dammit! Ingrates...! Guess I better start addin' some more dishes to the menu!

And now for his 2F dialogue.

But yeh know, kids... I've seen plenty of explorers, and yeh lot still have a long ways to go. Well, let me tell yeh one piece of good advice to become a strong explorer. Don't die. ...And that's it. Pretty wise words, don't yeh think? Haw haw haw!

...That's quite a lot of responsibility. Caledonia's grand assignment, reports to Midgard, exploring the Labyrinth... Don't forget to take a breather sometime, or you'll collapse. If you ever feel overwhelmed, you're always welcome to stop by. I don't mind taking a tea break now and then.

Her 2F dialogue is the same as it was in Classic for the most part. Only her first 3 sentences aren't included.

I will be counting on your support, Guild Guild.

Quiet, Flavio. Sometimes you gotta just keep things to yourself.

His 2F dialogue.

If I'm remembering correctly, not many other guilds were able to climb up so quickly. I'd say the last guild that moved that quickly was, hmm... the renowned Guild Esbat. Ho ho ho! I do understand that the Labyrinth's exploration isn't your top priority, but this is still quite exciting.

In both Untold and Untold 2's story modes, the Labyrinth isn't actually your main objective. The main objectives actually the new dungeons they added in the remakes. We'll still explore the Labyrinth obviously, but that's one of the main ways Story differs from Classic.

New equipment (that is redundant with Flavio's current skillset.)

Yep. Just as I expected.

You walk closer to see what it is, and once again, you find a hedgehog whose spines are caught in a tree's roots.

We meet again.

This again... You think it's the same one?
Maybe it's dense.
Umm... What should we do?

Though you know now there is no reward in helping it, you still have a choice to make.

Let's help it again.

When you reach towards the hedgehog, it trembles at first, but then calms down and allows you to touch it. It would seem that luck is on your side as you swiftly remove its spines from the tree's roots, and yet...!

Aah!

The instant it is freed, the hedgehog leaps from your hand! Worse yet, it steps on your face in its rush to flee from you.

Ingrate! Never trusting that thing again! :argh:

An amazing jumper.
I know we shouldn't expect more from a monster... but we really don't gain anything by doing this.
You all right, Knight?

Though you sustained mild injuries in the process, the hedgehog has been safely released from the tree. You nod to yourself, sure that you did the right thing, before leaving the area.

Mild injuries, my butt! That thing practically killed me! I should be dead right now!

The black-robed girl pauses during your trek through the forest. You cautiously look ahead on the path... To your surprise, there are a number of coins piled beyond the rubble!

Oh dear. Someone must have dropped them. Whoever they belonged to must have been quite the scatterbrain to lose so many.

You're one to talk.

I dunno about that... It'd be nice if it was a cute story like that, but this doesn't seem fishy to anyone else? If it was me, I wouldn't drop my money unless something bad was happening.

You're tempted to retrieve them, but you have to wonder about the circumstances...

Screw being cautious, I see FREE MONEY!

Hey, you're sure about this?

Ignoring Bertrand's warning, you reach into the rubble to take the coins. They are worth 100en in total!

...That's it, huh. Maybe some careless explorer really did just drop them?
Finders keepers.
False alarm...

Heartened by the lucky find, you return to your investigation.

What a worrywart.

In the middle of the path you currently walk is a monster.

Another one of those... or is it?
Interesting. It looks like it's shining.

You think it's a matter of its diet...? Odds are, it's a mutation, or something of the sort.

As you discuss the possibilities, the monster discovers your presence and turns its sharp gaze your way!

Here it comes!

The monster reacts to the survivalist's shout of alarm by baring its fangs and pouncing!

It's just a Clawed Mole, so I take it out easily.

Rare breeds are quite nice to run into, as killing them yields quintuple the exp of what a normal monster yields.

Mmm. That one put up way too much of a fight for my liking...

We killed it in one turn, Bertrand.

Well then, Sir Bertrand, you must only match its vigour to balance the scales.
Balance what...?
Anyway. That monster seemed strong.
Yeah, I thought so too. It looked a lot like some of the others we fought, but it was a completely different fight.

In that I actually took damage from that thing.

On the plus side, they'll be perfect chances to train our skills on. We'll leave it up to you, Knight.

Rare breeds are different from their normal counterparts in that their strength increases during battle.

If you think the rare breed is within your means to defeat, it's advantageous to try and vanquish it. However, rare breeds are prone to run away from battle, so keep that in mind.

So, rare breeds are a returning mechanic from EO4. They're tougher versions of regular enemies, but give out 5 times more exp when defeated. They almost always move first in the turn, but they only get a huge boost to their action speed, so priority skills can still go before them. It is possible to outspeed them, but that happens rarely. For every turn that passes, their damage output increases by 10%. And they have a chance to run, so you want to kill them quickly. Oh, and FOEs can be rare breeds as well. Only they don't run from battle, so only fight those if you're sure you can win. Thankfully, bosses can't be rare breeds. If the enemy is incapacitated through the use of Sleep or something like that, they won't get a power boost when it's their turn.

These fruits are small, but plump. They'll be good to eat.

If you wish to eat one, they can be easily plucked from the tree.

Let's eat them.

Okay, then I'll go pick one for each of us.
More. I want tons.
No, we shouldn't take too much. It's good forest etiquette to leave some for other explorers.

You bring the small fruit to your lips... The juice that gushes from it has a delicate sweetness that restores some of the energy you had lost!

Umph...
Ahaha, you spilled the juice. It's a small fruit, Arianna, just put the whole thing in your mouth.
B-But...
Gimme more.
I told you once, it's not good to take too many.
There are a few unripe ones, though. I think they'll be ready to eat by the time we pass this way again.

You could note the tree's location on your map as a reminder, should you happen to be in the vicinity another day.

I eventually decide to head back to town.

Yes. Dame Regina... pray tell, what exactly are you doing?
I was just carrying some things to Cafe.
What's this all even for? Do you need any help carrying it?
No, that won't be necessary. I'm pretty much done with most of it. I'll explain what's in these boxes at Cafe later. I'll see you around then.
And there she goes. Wonder what's in all those things.

Maybe a care package.
From who to who?
Come on, let's hurry and go to Cafe.

It was left here so you could use it however you please, which is why I was carrying it in. I have a message for you from Grandpa as well.

...'Grandpa'?

Heh. You've got a lot of bluster, but you're kind of soft underneath it all, huh?
Look, the important thing is the message! It appears as though the Midgard Library has decided to help the explorers of this nation. These things the Library developed... Grimoire Stones, or something? Anyways, they've been approved for use here.
Oh, we can use Grimoire Stones now? That'll be a big help!
Grimoire scones...? My, I had no idea the Midgard Library was researching pastries!
Scones? Do they taste good?
What? No! I mean--Grimoire Stones are... They're items that can record the skills of the person holding it.
If we use these, even I could heal or use elemental attacks.
That so? They say Midgard's responsible for inventing some nifty stuff... but this is definitely gonna come in handy.
Grimoires, scones, gluten, whatever it is. All I know is I got a bunch of them for you to use however you want. I'll set up the facility for them here, so do what you want with them.

Select the Guild House from the menu to enter the Guild House, and try equipping a Grimoire.

Incidentally, that option unlocking actually lets us talk to Regina now. Here's her dialogue for when the restaurant opens.

You can also obtain some ingredients just by defeating monsters. I'll be counting on you, alright?

And here's her 2F dialogue.

...I'm counting on you to find them for me. Good luck.

So Grimoires are a returning mechanic from EOU. They've been reworked to be significantly less annoying, but I'm still not a fan of the system, as it still has too much RNG for my tastes. As for how I'm gonna use it for myself? Probably just gonna stack abilities, and that's it. I probably won't be using other class abilities or enemy skills too much. Enemy skills are rarely worth it anyways. Anyways, let's head back to the Labyrinth.

Oh, uh... hello. It's kinda rare to see you out and about like this.
I was just taking a walk. There's something invigorating about the air near the Labyrinth, don't you think?
Ah, I too am fond of a brisk constitutional! Would you perhaps like to take a walk with us?

Sure, why not?

Lets walk together.
Hey, you two. We're not just here to go on a nature walk... don't we have more important stuff to do?
Hm, very well. I'll take you up on the offer. Let's walk together for a bit.
Huh!? A-Are you sure!?
Yes. There are some things I'd like to tell you about those Grimoires you've got. As members of Midgard, you might have an understanding of how they work, but I can see you're still getting used to them. Come, let's go.

You gradually understand that she has spotted monsters not far off.

Let me explain something before the monsters there notice us. You already know that Grimoire Stones hold the knowledge of skills, allowing you to use those skills yourself, yes? But these stones have another interesting trait.
Do they...?
Yes. Every so often, they may split off into new Grimoire Stones during battle.
Oh yeah. I think I remember hearing something like that at the Library.
You THINK you remember...?
C-C'mon, it just slipped my mind!
That sounds suspicious.

Suspicious indeed.
Th-There's nothing suspicious about it!
You seem rather at home in the forest. But do not forget that it is also the home of monsters.
We were told off...
I-I'm sorry...
Now then, back to what I was saying about Grimoire Stones. Grimoire Stones created during battle also hold the knowledge of skills inside them. Fight with Grimoire Stones equipped, and you will find yourself gaining more. It all depends on how the Grimoire Stone is feeling at the time. If you're lucky, then maybe... That is all I have to say on the subject.

Before you can ask what she means by this, the monsters identify you as prey and charge towards you!

And then we get a tutorial on how we can get more Grimoires in battle. So sometimes you'll see that Grimorie Chance thing pop up. And sometimes there will be an extra notice underneath, telling you that you have a chance to get an active, passive, or an enemy skill. You have a 30% chance of getting a Grimoire when those notices pop up.

The exception to these are Premium Chances. These are more rare than the other types of Grimoire Chances. When you get one of these, you are guaranteed to get a Grimoire for that turn. If you cast an active skill, you will always get a Grimoire Stone of said skill. But if you do something like attack or defend, you'll just get a random skill, whether it's from you or an enemy. Premium Chances are also more likely to give out higher level Grimoires than normal Grimoire chances.

When a character is successful in creating a new Grimoire, the game will tell them what they got. Though specific details about said skill will only be found out once the battle ends. For this tutorial, everyone will get a Grimoire Chance.

Ooh, that's lucky. Sometimes you'll see that pop up while in battle. Whenever it does, everyone in the party will get a Grimoire Chance for that turn.

And sometimes Grimoire Fevers can happen multiple turns in a row if you're lucky. If you get them to happen 3 times in a row or more, all Grimoire Chances will become Premium Chances during those fevers. You can't prolong a battle forever to get Grimoires. Each character is limited to getting 5 Grimoire Chances in one battle.

Once a battle ends, you'll be told about the Grimoires you got. Unlike Untold, each stone can only contain one skill. Oh, but don't worry. Unlike in Untold, Grimoire Stones no longer take up space in your inventory! (Yes, that was actually a thing. And it made exploration kind of annoying.) Instead, Grimoire Stones have their own category in your inventory, and you can carry up to 400 of them.

This was the first time I've seen you in combat. You have some skill.
Thanks, but listen! Siccing monsters on us like that is bad for the heart, so please don't do that again!

They were snails, Flavio. SNAILS.

True. My apologies. Though you seemed equal to the threat. It goes to prove that you have the strength to survive the forest.
A compliment...
Hone those skills as you proceed through the Labyrinth. Never let them go to your head. Well then, if you'll excuse me. Take care as you explore.

Dame Marion left... I should have liked to spend more time with her.

Then I'll go get her.
If you'd be so kind!
Alright, stop it right there. We need to focus more on exploring this place.
If we don't, how are we ever going to accomplish your goal, Arianna?
Ah, you make a good point. Perhaps we can invite her for a stroll another time.

You nod to the woman before beginning your exploration of the Labyrinth, to accomplish what must be done.

Back on the 2nd floor...

Oh!
An enemy...?

The black shadow that introduces itself with a low growl happens to be a large beast with ebon fur. But you know quite well by now that this beast is no enemy. For the black shadow appearing before you now is Wulfgar, your erstwhile companion as you mapped the 1st floor!

We meet again, Wulfgar. You are well, I trust?

The black-furred beast looks at you calmly before turning his gaze to a point behind you, as if trying to convey something.

What the beast gazes at is the path where you just came from. However, you notice that a portion of the path stands out... You have seen stone pillars on occasion elsewhere, but this is the first time you've seen a floor tile like this.

He was looking at that like he wants us to check it out. But what's so special about it...?

I don't have time for this. Let's just move on.

The beast is not an impediment to your investigation, so you see no need to let it bother you. Having decided that, you begin walking again on the road leading deeper into the forest.

Anyways-

He continues to glance back at the stone pavement, as if directing your attention to it. You know not way, but it is clearly important to Wulfgar that you examine the stone pavement at all costs. You don't understand why, but there is no point in arguing with the beast. You go to obey its command and check the stones.

We don't know yet, but we're gonna find out. C'mon, old man, you'd better help.
Hmm... But all our probing is revealing nothing. It's simply a floor crafted of unremarkable stone. Though Wulfgar took pains to bring it to our attention, so I should think there must be something to it...

Though you examine it from different angles and probe every inch of it, your investigation yields nothing.

Oh.

Her her, huh? Man, that kind of typo shows up in these games often. Dunno why.

With that, she produces her weapon and strikes it against the stone pavement!

A hollow thunking sound is heard.

I heard... an echo...?
Uhh, so what does that tell us?

Think fast!

You have 10 seconds to figure it out.
Ten seconds...!? What!? Okay, Flavio, think... you can get this...
Wait, this isn't exam day at the Library! Don't scare me like that!
It's hollow under here. That's why it echoed when I hit it. But we don't know why it's hollow.
Then shall we try asking Wulfgar? He may have another clue for us.

Huh? He went off somewhere...
More's the pity. We cannot ask him now...
You couldn't ask a dog anything anyway.
Let's not stand around here anymore.

You agree with the black-robed girl and make to resume your exploration.

You can barely make out a squirrel-like animal in the shadow of a large plant. The rodent doesn't seem to fear your party, and it chirps brightly as it approaches.

There are warning bells ringing in my mind, but I don't know why.

My, how cute...! Might it be used to people in the forest? I suspect it would approach us if we beckoned to it...
Don't even think about it. What if it's rabid?

The squirrel-like animal looks up with its beady eyes, in seeming defiance of Bertrand's warning. The way it cocks its head is absolutely heart-melting... You may reach out to pet the small woodland creature, or simply leave.

Oh, but it's just a squirrel. What can they really do, anyways? It's not like they're as bad as hedgehogs.

You kneel down and extend a hand gently, so as not to surprise it. But at that moment...!

Eek!

*gasp* Hey, get out of there!

What, really...!?
Wh-What a thieving squirrel...

Is there nothing in the forest that we can trust!? :argh:

Of all the things to take...!
Why did the squirrel want the thread? Strange.
Who cares why!? We need to get it back!
Whoa there. Chasing a small target like that? Through this forest? Don't be reckless... it's long gone.
Man... the forest sure is dangerous, huh?

Coming to realize the truth of this statement anew, you continue exploring with heightened caution.

We have to dodge another one of these before we can move on? What a pain...
Come now, it will be all right. We're old hands at dealing with these monsters now.

Then let's get going.
W-Wait a sec! Look at where that monster's sitting.
It's right in our way... isn't it?
Ah... indeed. The monster sits squarely in our path, blocking the way forward.
I don't wanna fight that thing.
Well yeah, me neither, but we can't get past it... So what do we do...?
Hmm... Might we prepare bait for the monster to lure it away?

Great idea! Flavio, you've got a big job to do!

The only bait it wants is us. I doubt anything else would interest it.
Hey. Mr. Sword.

As the other three debate over how to resolve the situation, Chloe calls to you. You see that she is pointing to a spot slightly in front of the monster.

Do you remember?

You struck it, Chloe.
That's not important. What matters is it was hollow underneath. What if we lured the monster onto it? It might work.

What if it doesn't work?
We'll worry about that if it happens. It's up to you now.

With that, the black-robed girl steps back. True to her word, she intends to let you handle this. You ponder to yourself whether to enact Chloe's plan to lure the monster, or to ignore her and do as you wish.

Hope this works!

The monster is trapped in the hollow space below!

I-It fell in...
It's almost adorable to see the monster thrash about so. Oh, would that I had my sketchbook and charcoals...!

:stare: Do you just enjoy seeing FOEs suffer?

Just as I thought. That's a trap to snare large monsters.
Huh... So if we can lure monsters onto these stone tiles, they'll fall through and get stuck.

Obviously, we must finish the job.

And then we can defeat it!
Huh? No, the opposite. Now's our chance to go through without a fight.
Bloodlust is fine and all, but save it for when this old man's not around.

You understand the sense in Bertrand's words and move to avoid the monster... Though you could fight it if you wished.

We're not gonna do that since we don't stand a chance against it right now.

You hurry to draw your weapons, but a figure appears before you can do so!

Don't worry, I mean no harm. I only wanted to have a little chat.

The man clad in fine armor raises both hands to show he bears no ill will before walking towards you. The friendliness of his manner allows you to relax and lower your weapons.

I'm glad you trust me. You're the Guild guild, right?

Are you looking for someone?
Hm, no, but close. To be precise, it wasn't I who was looking for you. In truth, my best friend happens to be acquainted with you. I learned of you through him.
An acquaintance...? Who?
Come out, Wulfgar.

The black beast you've met before appears in response to the protector's summon.

Ah! Wulfgar! We meet again!

The armored man smiles to see Arianna's cheer as she approaches Wulfgar. He turns back to you and continues.

And it seems you know already, but this is Wulfgar, my stalwart partner.

Wulfgar helped us a lot.

You thank the red-haired man for the aid that Wulfgar provided thus far, and then tell him your name and origins.

I'm glad to hear that. I'm sure that Wulfgar is happy he could help. But goodness, to think I'd encounter members of the Midgard Library here! It's an honor meeting you.
I want to ask you something, Mr. Owner.
Of course, go ahead. What is it?

You ask whether he's seen the guard corps you're searching for.

The guard corps... Do you mean the ones making the rounds of this Stratum?
Yes. We must speak with one of their number.

Arianna explains to the man that she is a princess of Caledonia, here to perform a particular ritual.

I see... Well, should I come across that guard, I'll let him know that you're searching for him.
Really? That would be a big help!
No need to thank me. I'm only too happy to lend my assistance to all who explore the Labyrinth. Whatever our reasons, we are all trying to traverse the same forest. I believe that cooperation is crucial.

I don't trust you.

You're making my skin crawl.
That's terrible, Sir Knight! When did this start? Should we bring you to a doctor?
Uh, that's not what he meant. He's fine.
Haha... You seem to be doing just fine without my advice.
I-Is that so...
Well, I'm sorry to have taken so much of your time. We'll get going now. The further you go, the stronger the monsters will be. Keep heart, and never let your guard down.
We won't. Thank you very much!

You can go your own way as well, or head back to town for now.

Sometimes Grimoires can come with bonuses like that. That bonus increases Volt damage by 2%. Most bonuses do stack with each other, so with enough of them, they can make an impact.

The young man examines the map and cocks his head.

Hmm. The guards weren't on this floor either.
Then we'll just have to keep searching. Unless you're giving up...?
No, we must find them. Please continue to assist our exploration of the next floor as well, Sir Bertrand.
Yeah, yeah, you got it.
When Trand says things like that, it means he's not serious. Be careful.
Oh, I don't believe that. I daresay that Sir Bertrand is always doing his utmost to contribute to our exploration.

I believe in you, Bertrand.
You're piling on, too...? ......
Fine, I'll do it. Even this old man can step up when it counts.
Ugh, not that that makes it any less annoying...

Bertrand mutters under his breath before proceeding onward. You decide to follow after him to where the guards should be.

Hopefully, we'll catch up to those guards next time.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 27, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I initially debated showing off stuff like the dialogue Abigail has if you preemptively unlock a quest item, but decided it was enough of a pain that I didn't feel like doing it. Not having a text dump or save states seriously sucks.

Also phone posting so I can't quote them, but I'm pretty sure Flavio should be saying "Of all the things" instead of "Oh all the things," and "those guard" at the end should be "those guards."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I initially debated showing off stuff like the dialogue Abigail has if you preemptively unlock a quest item, but decided it was enough of a pain that I didn't feel like doing it. Not having a text dump or save states seriously sucks.

Also phone posting so I can't quote them, but I'm pretty sure Flavio should be saying "Of all the things" instead of "Oh all the things," and "those guard" at the end should be "those guards."

Bah, fixed.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

On the subject of Grimoire Stones, if you get a Premium Chance is there any surefire way to get a passive ability? Like Shield Mastery if you wanted a Grimoire of it from the Premium?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

BlackPersona posted:

On the subject of Grimoire Stones, if you get a Premium Chance is there any surefire way to get a passive ability? Like Shield Mastery if you wanted a Grimoire of it from the Premium?

I want to say Defending should work.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

How's the loading times on the 3ds? But yeah, I can see how saving, dropping quest, transcribing, reloading, transcribing, is a goddamn pain. Stick with what comes up, who cares about minor changes that basically amount to: "I didn't notice you brought the mats already, go grab the reward and thanks" if it's anything like EO3.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

BlackPersona posted:

Unfortunately, no. While they can guarantee getting active skills, in order to get passive skills, you have to do something other than using a skill. Which than just pulls a random skill from your skill tree or the enemies', so you have to rely on RNG there. On the other hand, you can try resting an just putting skill points in the passives that you want. There's just one problem with that.

Remember how Mastery skills unlock skills? Yeah, those extra skills unlocked can kind of get in the way of that. On the other hand, you aren't required to spend all of your skill points in order to get high level Grimoire Stones like in Untold. That got taken out of this game. Ugh, the Grimoire system in that game was just pure garbage. And while it wasn't necessary for the main game, the post-game will eat you alive if you don't make good use of them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 8: Rescue Mission

And now that we've reached the 3rd floor... let's go back to town!

I mean, you've got a bunch of cute girls, and Knight and Flavio just seemed like pretty boys... I was a bit worried, since you didn't come off as the explorer type. But seems like you're doing fine! Keep up the good work!

Before we set out again, why don't we get some sleep?

Go away, I'm trying to sleep.

Alright, alright...

It's been a while, huh? Remember how we used to talk like this whenever we couldn't sleep?
Of course, back then we didn't have our own rooms.
By the way, uh... How's, you know... How's the arm? If I know you, you were probably biting back the pain for everyone else's benefit.

My arm...?
You...
Well, if you don't want me to worry about it, I won't.
I was worried about your arm... but I also wanted to talk about Arianna. She mentioned coming to study at the Library when she was young.
I thought about it, and that was the time of the accident...

You remember it now?
More like I never forgot. You and Arianna were the ones who didn't remember. Guess some of it's still fuzzy, huh? That day... we were playing investigation team in the woods, and we got attacked by a monster. Arianna started crying, and I was shaking like a leaf. I thought we were dead meat.
But you stood up... You'd been hurt, but you held your ground and told us to run.
And then...

After the monster was down, you just blacked out. Arianna, too. You changed back, but I was so scared. I had no idea what had just happened... I ran crying into the Library, thinking you were dying. I kept yelling, “Knight suddenly transformed! Help him!”
But no one believed me. Flavio the Fibber, at it again. When you two woke up, neither of you remembered it happening, so they all really thought I was lying. I figured it was what I deserved for all the lies I told before...

'Flavio the Fibber'?
You might not've known. Ugh, there's a nickname I wish I could forget.
Before we were roommates, I lied a lot... So people started calling me that.
Since I couldn't get anyone to believe me, everyone thought I made up the whole incident. But this time... it's different. I can tell someone and show them proof to back it up.
Once we finish this, we're going back to the Library to get you checked out. Hm... I've been sitting here for a while, huh?

Yes. Get out.

Alright then... g'night.

That's the professor, for the record.

On the other hand, we have no idea who that is.

I'm hungry.

I don't remember anything.

And then we wake up.

If you see them in the Labyrinth, you can always count on them to help you out. They're regulars of ours. They're a really strong guild, but they're also really kind and nice to everyone. ...Well, one of them is a little scary.

I just received something that Grandpa prepared for us. As thanks for helping out with this cafe, he left, uh... a storage area. Kind of strange for someone to just drop off a storage house out of nowhere, but I guess I'm not complaining. So now you can store your items at the Guild House, if you want. Just let me know if you want to use it. I'll keep an eye on your things.

And now we have the option to store our items. Regina's 3F dialogue is the same as in Classic.

That lot... they ain't exactly like other explorers, but they're a good bunch. If yeh're ever in a bind, it might actually be better to ask their help than mine... Ah, who am I kiddin'! Haw haw haw!

Cass has some one time dialogue for when we run into Guild Beowulf. His 3F dialogue is the same as it is in Classic, but...

Let's tell him that slow and steady doesn't win the race.

I want to get through it faster.
Whoa there! Don't do anythin' stupid. The Labyrinth ain't that easy to get through. I ain't trying to be condescendin' but yeh should really think about yer own skill and go at a steady pace. But I do like yer spirit, kid. Good luck to yeh, Guild!

...I must say, I'm rather impressed by the Midgard investigation team's prowess. Ever since the discovery of the Labyrinth, the Grand Duchy has been sending guards to investigate... yet it has proved fruitless. As you can see, this is a small country. Our military is quite modest... but to think we would be outdone this easily... I suppose this could be problematic. Perhaps I should seriously consider some changes to the division of--Ah, my apologies--I did not mean to go on for so long. In any case, I am glad to hear that your exploration goes smoothly. We owe much to you. I look forward to the results of your future endeavors.

Marion's dialogue isn't any different. Anyways, I take the time to do the quest where we have to take care of Quona. If you actually turn her down when she comes to you about the drunk guard, you actually don't have to deal with that and the quest ends immediately. However you don't get as big of a reward and only get 125 exp per party member. Also Cass calls you out for being a dick to her. The Story party doesn't have any new dialogue for this, so I'm not showing off the quest. So let's get back to the 3rd floor.

Oh no.

You're kidding me... This again?

You cautiously look over and find a familiar-seeming hedgehog... Once more, it is stuck fast due to its spines becoming lodged in the tree's roots.

We called it. How dumb is this thing?

You may rescue the foolish hedgehog or leave it to its predicament.

Fine, I'll give it another chance. But this is the last one!

“In for a penny, in for a pound,” you think to yourself as you reach towards it. Yet you still recall the intense pain your last rescue attempt resulted in. It is something you are not eager to repeat. You pause, considering briefly how best to go about this.

Okay, I've got a plan.

You wonder if you might escape unscathed if you leave it without any chance of launching a counterattack...

Sayonara, hedgehog! :byewhore:

Your toss was well-timed, it seems. You were not bitten once!

...Well, I'm okay with this if he is.

Having done your good deed for the day, you decide to leave this place.

You don't get anything for picking that option, so let's just stare at it again.

As you work at dislodging the hedgehog, you try to convey through your stare that you only wish to help the creature... When all the spines have been extracted from the tree, the hedgehog obediently jumps to the ground from your hands. You seem to have gotten through to it!

Oh!?

I knew I shouldn't have trusted it! :argh:

A-Are you okay? It doesn't look like it left a mark...

In truth, your pride is more punctured than your skin.

Hm...? Look. It's a rare material.
Why don't you keep it, as a little thank-you from the hedgehog?

You convince yourself that this is the case and put away the hedgehog's token of gratitude before going on your way.

Okay, fine hedgehog. I'll forgive you this time.

Oh that's nice. More recipes means more restaurant skits.

Should come in handy in case I screw up badly.

Upon closer inspection, you see three injured guards collapsed on the ground behind him. What has happened here...? You consider asking the man.

I'm sure that doesn't mean anything bad. Those guards probably just tripped over something.

You ignore his warning and reach for the door. But the red-haired man quickly takes hold of your hand to stop you.

Don't, Knight.

The red-haired man shows signs of distress, but he looks each of you in the eye before speaking up.

The guard corps you were searching for was attacked. Their unit was decimated, though some managed to escape.

Some? In Classic Mode, all but one got killed. Guess Story Mode is making some things lighter.

Hrothgar gives a backward glance to the three guards behind him. Their wounds are treated and they sleep peacefully.

From what I could glean, they were set upon by a monster they'd never seen before.
Wait, so... did the monster take out everyone apart from those three!?
I don't know. They mentioned a guard named Brucke, who ran west to draw the monster away. It was thanks to his selfless actions that these three, injured as they were, escaped to find me.
But Sir Brucke is the very man that we're looking for!
I see... Then there isn't a moment to lose. But the injured must be tended to, and the Grand Duchy informed. What do you think, Guild guild? Will you go to the Grand Duchy at once and tell them what happened here? I'll watch over these three and take them back to town as soon as they're fit for travel.
Hmph... I feel like we're getting dragged into more drama here...
C'mon, old man... You can't brush off a scene like this as just 'drama.'
Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry. I'll shut up.
It's no use complaining. Let's go to the Grand Duchy.
Yes... We should report to the Minister without delay, and then return here to search for the missing Sir Brucke.

You nod at Arianna's words and make to return to the Duke's Palace.

Screw this, let's just go through the door now!

It seems that he won't let you through for any reason until you have returned to town. The fastest way to move forward, it seems, is to return to High Lagaard for now.

Fine. Sheesh.

I must thank you for aiding my granddaughter. Hm? You seem flustered. Is there something wrong...?
Minister, something terrible has happened in the Labyrinth! The guards...!
...What!? An unfamiliar monster has appeared, and the guards are in complete disarray!?
Yes. With the help of Sir Hrothgar, we were able to save three, but we are still unsure of the others' whereabouts...
Hrmm... from the sounds of things, they require assistance, and quickly... however, I am afraid that will be difficult.
...Difficult?
Yes. From what you've told me, it seems the guards are completely outmatched against this monster...
So you're saying... even throwing all the soldiers in Lagaard at it isn't gonna do a drat thing, huh?
It pains me to say it... but the guards are all comparable in their skills. If this monster can easily sweep aside a squad of ten guards... I'm afraid there isn't much we can accomplish by sending more. Thus... the Grand Duchy is issuing a new mission. The task will be to rescue the guards from the Labyrinth. I would... be grateful if you would accept this mission as well, Guild.

Dubois has new dialogue if we talk to him.

It would be a great favor to High Lagaard if you would help us by accepting this mission...

Let's do this.

Oh, you've accepted this one? How very kind of you. We'd like you to prioritize finding and rescuing the survivors over slaying whatever monsters did this. Please do what you can to find the surviving guard corps and save as many of them as possible. From all I've heard, the guard who went in to save his comrades--the one you search for, Princess--may still be safe. I ask that you do what you can, for the sake of those anxiously awaiting the corps' return.

And Dubois has more to say if we talk to him again.

All of us who await the guard's safe return... we're counting on you.

Wasn't that guy we met earlier pretty strong? Why don't we get him to help? It'd sure make things easier on us.
Yes, Sir Hrothgar would be an invaluable asset to our guild... Let us pray that the guards are safe.

We probably could have saved more if we went in right away.

We may be too late.
No...!
Actually, yes. Maybe if they'd escaped, sure. But if they had to fight an unknown monster? Probably nothing good happened.
Hey, stop that. It won't do anyone any good to expect the worst before we even get started.
Yeah, you got a point.
Still... sometimes it's better to be ready for the worst. Just this old man's opinion.

Now let's head back to the 3rd floor.

Oh? It seems Sir Hrothgar and the others have gone elsewhere...
Think maybe the guards woke up? He might've taken them back to town.

As you discuss the possibilities, two figures appear behind you.

The red-haired young man smiles as he explains himself before continuing.

I heard at the Grand Duchy that Knight took the mission. I'm surprised a beginner would do that.

The protector's expression darkens, and though he opens his mouth as if to speak, no words come out.

Think we're not up to the task, huh?

Do we seem that weak?
That's not what I mean... I'm sorry. I'd hoped to give you some kind of advice, but nothing came to mind. I pray that your mission goes well. Be careful in the Labyrinth.
Hey there. I got a question.
What is it?
If you look that worried about this mission, why not do it yourself.
Hey, what're you saying--
No, it's fine. He's right. Forgive me if I offended you. But there is something I must do. It may sound cruel, but for me, this takes priority over saving the guards.

The young man's cold tone is a far cry from his usual friendliness... He turns his back to you.

...If you're going to open this door, you should be ready first. Because like it or not, it'll teach you what it means to explore this forest. ...Let's go Wulfgar.

Hrothgar and Wulfgar leave.

'What it means to explore this forest...?'
What in the world are we going to find past there...?
So? Do we go or turn back? Tell us, leader.

You are free to proceed through the door if you wish, though you also consider returning to town to prepare yourselves.

Considering that we had to go back to town to even proceed with the plot, I think we'll be fine. Let's go through the door.

When you notice what lies at the monster's feet, you feel as if you have been punched in the stomach... Scattered about is armor and helmets worn by the guard corps, atop a patch of ground utterly soaked in blood!

No...

The dreadful sight leaves the entire group at a loss for words.

'What it means to explore this forest,' huh...? Hmph... That guy might seem nice, but what he said was downright nasty.
Look at the armor. It's definitely Grand Duchy stuff.

In contrast to the shocked young man and woman, the protector and his black-clad ward begin analyzing the scene.

I count... three helms. So three victims. Plus the three from before, that's six. The other four could be alive somewhere.

Chloe turns her gaze on your, and Arianna looks at you forlornly as well.

Let's search for survivors.
Yes...!
So Knight, looks like there's a bunch of pitfalls between us and the monster to the west. If we can lure it into one of them... Think we could make it to the door back there without a fight?

The young man patiently awaits your ruling on the suggestion. If you mean to investigate the path ahead, you must either slay the monster or devise a way to avoid it. Either way, the decision is yours... But be cautious. The monster lurking ahead is more vicious than anything you've faced, and victory is not certain!

We're going to get pasted if we try to take on that FOE now, so we have no choice but to avoid it.

First, walk two steps forward to trap the 2 Raptors for 10 turns.

Then walk over here. The Terrible Hunter will hop over any pits that are in its way, but it has to rest for a turn if it does that. So how do we lure it into one?

Aside from that aspect, it acts like a Raptor in its movement patterns.

So move one step to the left and...

Take a step back! The Terrible Hunter will attempt to jump over the first pit, only to land in the second one!

After luring it into a pit once, the Terrible Hunter loses the ability to hop over pits, and moves 1 tile every other turn, so it's much easier to lure it into a pit the second time. We're still not fighting it because we aren't strong enough yet.

The young man stops briefly to check the ground and nearby branches before looking back up.

There's signs of several people walking through here, in full armor... Might've been the Grand Duchy's guards. That trail leads south, so I assume they escaped that way.

The young survivalist looks to the path heading south as he awaits your instructions. It is up to you whether to follow the footsteps and head south, or search the northern side first.

...It would seem there is no one here.
That's odd... The footsteps definitely led here. Maybe they're still nervous and hiding somewhere... They might answer if we called out to them.

If the missing guards are indeed in hiding, fearful of monsters, they may be difficult to find at first glance.

Is anyone here?

On hearing your voice, an injured man carrying comrades on his back emerges from between the trees.

You silently lend your hand to the guard.

Oh...!

As the guard takes your hand, he is overcome with emotion and begins to sob. You shudder to think of how painful it must have been to be forced into hiding by pursuing monsters...

I'm... I'm so glad...

The guard squeezes your hand tightly... Once your are sure that he's calmed down, you tell him that you are explorers charged by the Grand Duchy to save him.

From the Grand Duchy...! Thank God! We can go home... We're saved!

But once his outburst of joy subsides, the guard limps over to Chloe upon noticing her.

Hey, aren't you a war magus? Please... You have to treat my unit!

In case you're wondering, altering the story mode party's classes has no effect on the plot.

The guard points to his three comrades hidden amongst the trees, ignoring his own severe injuries.
We managed to flee this far... but their wounds are too serious. They can't take another step.
...I'll try.

Chloe moves to the three collapsed guards and begins treating them... ......

Fade to black.

...There. If you take them back now, they'll live.
Thank the heavens!

The entire party shares a moment of relief...

Are you the bridge expert?

You speak to the guard again, who is looking gleefully upon his comrades. If this is Brucke, then he must be the bridge expert you were searching for...

Bridges...? Well, it's true that I love bridges. How'd you know?
You don't remember me? We met at the bar.
Oh, you're...
One hell of a reunion, huh?

The guard can't help but smile as well at the protector's smirking remark.

We have a question for you... But you're hurt as well, Sir Brucke!
Mr. Bridge is wounded. He needs to let me fix him up.

Fade to black.

After you do what you can for the guards, you hand Brucke the Ariadne Thread that the Grand Duchy gave you to pass on.

Wait, when did we get that?

...I can't thank you enough. I'll be sure to let the Grand Duchy know that your guild saved our lives. And if you need to know anything about bridges, feel free to come ask me once you get back to town. I'd do anything to help you out. You saved our lives, after all! Be careful on your way back.

The guard then uses the Ariadne Thread and returns to town with his three comrades.

The guards leave.

......That... completes the mission. Let us return to the Grand Duchy.

The woman is right. You must now return to town and inform the Grand Duchy.

That can wait. Why don't we go to the next floor, first?

I expect that the Minister is anxious to hear the outcome of our mission.

The woman is right. You are duty-bound to report back about the guards that you have rescued! Before you explore any new areas, you must return to town and speak to the Minister!

Oh, fine.

Words cannot express my gratitude over what you've done for our citizens.
Oh, not at all... There's no need for such extravagant thanks. We merely accomplished the task given us.
Isn't that so, Sir Knight?

It had to be done for us to move on.
Knight! Don't say that. I apologize for my friend, Minister.
No apologies necessary. Whatever your motivations, the fact remains that you saved our people. And for that, we present to you this token of our gratitude.

Furthermore... I asked the guard about the bridge in Ginnungagap. He said, based on your description of how the bridge moves, that it is a type called a submersible bridge. That seems to be the technical term for bridges whose girders rise up, allowing passage across. In his opinion, the fact that it stopped moving partway indicates that its power source has expired.
So... does that mean it's broken?
No, not as such. It only lacks power to supply its mechanism. If that is replenished, the bridge should move again. But there is a problem associated with its power source, which is a special one called the Dynamo Stone.
What kind of problem might this be?
They Dynamo Stone is a mysteriously charged ore which High Lagaard uses to develop various tools. But an increase in demand has left us in short supply. You could mine it in the forest, but nowadays...
...I don't like where this is headed. You're not about to tell us it can't be had anymore, I hope...
No... not precisely. The only known deposit of Dynamo Stones now is a dreadful monster's lair. Worse yet, the reports I've read suggest that this very monster is the cause of the anomalies in the first Stratum.
Then it may have been the one to...!
We the Grand Duchy hope to avoid such casualties on the early Strata. If you are going forth in search of a Dynamo Stone... Might you lend us your help on this as well?

Another mission becomes available, but let's see what Dubois has to say first.

And now let's accept the mission.

I think you meant part. Unless you really wanted us to boogie down here.

Princess, we understand that the ritual is still uppermost in your mind, but we beg you to help us.
Oh, but no! I am happy to be of service to this nation.
If a dangerous monster is on the loose, then that situation must be rectified.
Indeed. The first Stratum is now flooded with monsters... We now know that the cause of this is Chimaera, the king of beasts which dwells on the 5th floor. It is Chimaera's roar that seems to be drawing monsters from the upper floors down to the first Stratum.
So if we slay this Chimaera... you think the first Stratum will be safe again?
Most likely, yes.

Gameplay wise, it won't.

They Dynamo Stone you require can also be found on the 5th floor... where the beast is currently nesting. Acquiring the stone without vanquishing the beast first would seem unlikely. For the sake of both your ritual and the explorers of High Lagaard, we beg that you slay the Chimaera!

Dubois has more things to say if we talk with him.

It would be difficult to take from such a dangerous place... that is, unless you eliminate the Chimaera first. Please, defeat the Chimaera for the sake of the ritual, and for the sake of those that explore the Labyrinth!

This sounds like more trouble...
Well, too bad. We've taken the mission already... Let's get to the forest.

I've been wanting to say this for a while now... but you lovelies are just so brave! It's very different from helping people out in the city. Not just anyone can jump into danger in order to save someone else. I thought you all felt different from other explorers... Looks like I was right all along. Promise me that you'll never change, okay, loves? Bahaha!

Sometimes the town dialogue changes when something major happens instead of just going up to a new floor. Let's see what Quona has to say now.

...W-Wow, Guild must be an amazing guild... Everyone was so impressed. It's not something just anyone can do... That's what they say... Even if I was strong, I don't think I could do it...

You could do it./Someday, you'll be able to.
...Y-You really think so? I, um... Thanks... Mom was really proud of you... and I'm really proud of you too... Hee hee...

It'd be impossible for you.
...Y-You're right. I-It's probably something only you could do... Mom was really proud of you... and I'm really proud of you too... Hee hee...

You saved those guards from the Labyrinth, right? You're all... really amazing explorers!

Eh, we're not that bad.
That's not true! You don't need to be modest--wait... What did you...? O-Oh, right, not bad? S-Sorry, I misheard! Y-You're absolutely right! You're all so amazing!

Eh, we're not that great.
That's not true! You saved someone from danger in the Labyrinth! Not just anyone could do that! It's great news! I haven't stopped smiling since I heard! You have to let me thank you, at least... And congratulate you on a job well don!

We're not really explorers.
...Wha...? Huh!? But... but you explore the Labyrinth! Doesn't that make you an explorer?
...Knight, this is probably gonna get confusing. We might as well just say we're explorers, huh?

I used to think that all you did was just explore the Labyrinth. Looks like I'll have to reconsider my perceptions... I guess I should expect no less from the guild that Grandpa trusts so much.

You're being insensitive.
Yeh bonehead. How do yeh expect to make stacks of cash if yeh worry about hurtin' everyone's feelings all the time? Eh... s'pose that might be the natural thing to do somewhere nice like Midgard. Not that I'd know much 'bout it. In my opinion, yeh lot oughta act more like proper explorers.

That's not why we saved them.
Well, ain't yeh a smooth talker. Bet the bigwigs love yeh even more for that. Well, what's done is done. I'm just sayin' there's gonna be some folks who see it that way, kiddo. ...Hard to tell what kinda things people are gonna say behind yer back.

Just as planned.
Haw haw haw! That's what I'm talkin' bout! I'm startin' to get the impression Midgard folk ain't so different after all! Well, when yeh get all big and famous, make sure not to forget about ol' Cass. Yeh got that?

Even a well-armed and prepared squad of guards isn't immune to the Labyrinth's dangers... even on lower floors. It may already be clear to you, but the Labyrinth is fraught with danger. You'd do well to not let your guard down. Well, that's all I have to say for now. Try to avoid any unnecessary risks.

And we'll be making our way up to Chimaera's lair next time.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
uh, no idea what happened there. nevermind this.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I'm not actually home from vacation yet (got an entire day of travelling tomorrow, hooray), but I might as well call the vote since it seems everyone who wanted to vote has:

quote:

Sophie: 11
Tyler: 6
Realga: 5
Rheine: 5
Jackie: 4
Stardust: 4

Phoebe: 3
Zack: 3
Asriel: 3
Freyja: 1

Anyone not the list got no votes.

In the interest of not holding another vote for a small thing, I flipped a coin--heads for Jackie, tails for Stardust. It landed on tails, so Stardust it is. As such, our party is, in terms of rows:

Tyler/Rheine, Realga/Stardust/Sophie

Rheine's not really suited for the front row, but she's a better choice for it than anyone else.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I'll preface this by saying I do not understand a lick of Japanese, and cannot begin to guess what's going on in the comic. Anyway, the top half of the page has art used for the "SQ2 Pianosketch" (SQ being how Atlus abbreviates EO's Japanese name, Sekaiju no Meikyuu) CD, which I'm fairly certain was given as a bonus for those who preordered EO2 in Japan, and contains piano versions of early versions of songs from EO2's soundtrack. Pretty much every EO game has some kind of early soundtrack preorder bonus, and they all have art of different portraits wearing different, more modern clothes. In this case, we have Gunner 2 and Troubador 2 wearing winter outfits, with the Gunner wearing what I think are either Jack Frost earmuffs or headphones.

Found a translation of said comic.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I have no clue what that whole "here's the map they made" thing is about, since we don't actually get any of the map filled in. EO2 did fill in the Salamander's (then known as Salamox) nest on your map--maybe it's a holdover from that?/

Unfortunately the localization of this game kind of cut corners a bit by copy pasting the translation from the original game and updating parts of it without really checking to see if it fit in. Like sometimes the NPCs will talk about things that got cut from the remake. And fact some of the item descriptions were copy and pasted from Untold.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Gunner is so powerful in this game because she got so much money from the figurine

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ah yes, something I'm wondering about. Are you planning on doing a writeup on advertisements and saying which foods are effective with certain customer types?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Ah yes, something I'm wondering about. Are you planning on doing a writeup on advertisements and saying which foods are effective with certain customer types?

I wasn't planning on doing it, but now that you mention it and since I now have an easy way to check groups (a 100% save file), it'd probably be a good idea once all the wards are unlocked.

Update 13'll be coming whenever, and it'll be pretty short (an average update is anywhere from 25-40 minutes of raw footage--Update 13 is ~15 minutes). I spent quite a lot of time today troubleshooting some stuff with my 3DS capture card that have been happening since the start of the LP, and I eventually just messaged Tyty and found out the issues I was having are just kind of standard stuff with the thing. They're both small things and don't show up in screenshots, though.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 13: Salamander

Up and at 'em, everyone! Let's get that Duchy mission done and over with!
I can appreciate enthusiasm, Tyler, but please don't go around shouting at everyone's doors...
I'm gonna miss not getting up this early.
We're only on duty for three floors, we can get as much sleep as we want soon enough.

Meet the new party for the second half of the stratum. Rheine's not really suited for the front row compared to Tyler or our other front liners, but she's a better choice than anyone else in the back row. At least she can wear heavy armor and equip shields.

First order of business: selling all the stuff I got from grinding up the entire guild.

Wrapped Bow is unlocked by selling 4 Ostrich Tendons. It has +6 ATK over the Kagenui, which isn't that big an upgrade.

Madfa is unlocked by selling 5 Iron Toenails and 1 Rock Shard. It has +9 ATK over the Bayonet. I'd probably buy it for Jackie if she was in the party.

Stone Claw is unlocked by selling 5 Rock Shards. It gives +9 ATK over the Iron Nail, but no extra stats, which is what Beasts want. Pass.

Iron Armor is unlocked by selling 7 Iron Toenails. It gives 27 DEF, a whopping +19 upgrade from the Half Armor Rheine has had since the start of the game. As such, I buy one for her.

Studded Leather is unlocked by selling 3 Collar Furs. It gives 22 DEF. I buy one for Tyler, since I want both him and Rheine to be as survivable as possible.

Flower Caftan is unlocked by selling 2 Scarlet Vines. I don't bother to buy it for any of our backliners.

Scout Boots are unlocked by selling Thick Boar Skins. They reduce damage taken from damage tiles, but that's kind of a non-issue with Realga in the party.

Blind Gas is unlocked by selling 5 Bendy Vines. The only person who can really make use of it in our current party is Sophie, and she already has Blinding Curse. Aside from that, I guess Survivalists or Dark Hunters can probably make use of it, but the base infliction chance on it is super low.

I also buy Lactarius Staves for Rheine, Realga, and Stardust, to give each of them a slight boost to TEC.

I also outfit Rheine and Tyler with shields to make them less susceptible to being one or two-shot.

Everyone's Grimoires. I took the level 8 Spear Assist Grimoire off of Tyler because that TP cost would not be sustainable at all. Any empty Grimoire slots are because there weren't any good Grimoires to put in said slot.

Rheine's skill build. I'm leaving Attack Order at level 9 since the TP cost jumps to a whopping 20 at level 10.

Since I didn't really want to level up any of the Orders at this time, I opted to have Rheine start learning Link Order. Link Order works like this: the Sovereign selects a target, and then prepares Link Order at the start of the turn. After that, when the target is hit with an elemental attack, the Sovereign will follow up with an extra hit of the same element. It gives the Sovereign a way to contribute some respectable damage when they're done buffing the party, and Link Order II is very nice for random encounters and boss fights with multiple targets.

Tyler's skill build. I maxed out Spear Mastery, and gained access to Delayed Charge, followed by Cross Charge when I leveled up Delayed Charge to level 3. Delayed Charge is basically what it sounds like: when the Highlander uses it, the skill becomes locked for a set amount of turns. Once that timer runs out, Delayed Charge activates, and deals damage alongside the Highlander's normal action for that turn. Cross Charge is kind of special--on its own, it's just a basic Stab attack. However, if it's used while Delayed Charge has its timer going, Delayed Charge will immediately activate at the same time as Cross Charge, and Cross Charge will deal bonus damage.

Realga's skill build. I leveled up both Unbind and Refresh to 3 so I could get Revive. At level 1, it revives someone with 1 HP. Right now, it's less useful in combat as it is saving money on Nectars during dungeon exploration. After getting Revive, I then opted to level up Salve, which I want to get to 5 before leveling up Overheal.

Stardust's skill build. Compression is maxed out, and gives a 175% damage boost to all-target skills at level 10. I'm now leveling up Cocytus Formula, since the upcoming stratum boss is weak to ice.

Sophie's skill build. I'm really starting to regret investing 3 skill points in Frailty Curse--I might rest her to allocate the points elsewhere. Aside from that, I leveled up Blinding Curse to 2, and Madness Curse to 5. Both of these unlocked Torpor Curse, which tries to put a row of enemies to sleep, and Corrupt Curse, which tries to curse a row of enemies. Curse is by far the least useful status ailment, but sleep is incredibly useful for random encounters. I'm prioritizing Madness Curse at the moment since standard attacks from enemies hurt a lot less than skills at this point.

The aloof man...Ranger. He mentioned something about a quest for gems on the seventh floor...
Oh, yeah. Let's take care 'a that before we go get the Fire Plume.

I think there's something here!
SYSTEM: It appears as though the wall might have some sort of mineral inside... Do you recall the quest you accepted at the bar? The people of High Lagaard anxiously seek stones to fashion into jewels for the Duke's daughter. This wall must be where the gems that the barkeep was talking about can be mined.
Lemme at it! HrrAGH!
SYSTEM: The wall is hard, and is taking more effort than you expected, but it still looks possible to dig something out. Before long, you hear the crack of stone give way to something sturdier. It seems you have reached something... When you carefully uncover it, it appears to be crystallized ore. When you bring the crystal to light, it flickers gently in the coarse facets. This is no ordinary stone...
Ooh!
These seem perfect for jewelery.
SYSTEM: There can be no mistaking it--this must be one of the unrefined gems that was requested! You gently deposit the ore into your bag, and move on...maintaining a gentle pace to prevent any damage to the crystal.

SYSTEM: You have obtained one unrefined gem that was requested. However, for the artisans to craft the finest gift, you must collect three gems.
The others already marked the other weird rocks. Let's get goin'!
Someone is certainly enthusiastic about manual labor.
Bein' recognized as a hero is easier when yeh have the favor of royalty.

An unremarkable random encounter--let's use it to see the new party in action, shall we?

Gonna have Rheine and Stardust combo that Fanged Vine down.

Head Pierce is a Stab attack that has chances to inflict either head bind or instant death. It's not worth leveling up, but it can be kind of nice when the instant death procs in a random encounter.

And I'll have Sophie try for the Fanged Vine's conditional drop.

Whenever you're ready, Luca!

Ack! My eyes!

Euch. Should've just eaten a salad.

Panicked enemies will sometimes attack either themselves or their allies. Pretty nice when it happens.

That's for my eyes, yeh leafy bastard!

The "Killed the Fanged Vine!" message means that Head Pierce's instant death activated.

Hah!
Working off the embers from my pyrotechnics... I'm impressed, Rheine.

Got the conditional.

The text at each of the gem spots is the same, aside from minor variations on the end text.

This is probably enough gems. I dunno if the jewelers will even know what to do with all of these...
Let's just drop them off at the bar and get on that mission.
Wait, the bar? We're not presenting them to the Duke or his daughter? Bah.

Ahh, have yeh returned with the jewels? Give them here.
Cass.
Trust me, trust me! I've got a jeweler's eye for these things! Haw haw haw!
Here yeh are. Three crystals with nary a scratch on 'em.
H-Holy... Look at 'em sparkle! Did yeh lot used to be in the Jewelers Guild? I can't believe it...! Some fine work there, Lumen! I know the jewelers will be drooling when I show them these babies! Here's the reward for a job very well done! Glad to see I can still count on yeh!

Getting more gems increases the money and EXP reward from the quest.

I put Realga's skill point in Salve.

Bite Earring's unlocked by selling Crazed Bulbs. We've already seen it, but Bite Earrings provide immunity to blind. Meh.

I don't think I've shown off sleeping till evening yet. It sets the time to 7 PM instead of 7 AM. Exploring at night really only comes up once in the game, but it's sometimes nice to explore at night just for variety.

Each stratum also has a slight variation on its splash screen for nighttime.

Oh man, that feels scorching hot even from the door. Everyone ready?
No, but let's get this over with anyway.

SYSTEM: The open area formed by the scarlet forest feels as though it's warmed by a furnace. You can sense a terrible aura drifting to the room's entrance from beyond the trees. Have a care! Fighting in this area will surely lead to your deaths. Be on your guard!

We can't actually get into random encounters in this area. :v:

quote:

2:15 PM - Dr. Fetus: yeah
2:15 PM - Dr. Fetus: it's copy pasted text from OG EO2
2:15 PM - Dr. Fetus: You can sense a terrible aura drifting to the room's entrance from beyond the trees! Have a care! Fighting in this area will surely lead to your deaths. Be on your guard!

Good gods, the thing's massive!
I'd say it's as big...mm, actually bigger than Chimaera.
It's not doing anything, though. It's just standing there... I wonder what meat those silvery parts are made of...
I'd...rather not find out, at least now. Can we just move towards the spot that Dubois marked?

SYSTEM: You are clearly within its sights, as it is glaring directly at you! Just feeling its terrifying presence is enough to make the sweat roll down your back... The monster is that powerful. You must remember that if you are to face it head on, you will not escape unscathed.

Woah!
Yeeeek!
Even for a monster of that size, that is an impressive amount of fire...

Salamander's field gimmick is basically the Baby Salamanders, but amplified. Salamander's line of sight is a 3 tiles wide, 6 tiles long area in front of where it's facing. Much like the Baby Salamander fire, the initial blaze pushes you back, and can be walked through after that at the expense of HP.

SYSTEM: The very instant after you see the Salamander draw in a deep breath, it releases a gout of flame towards you! Thankfully, you dodge in time, but a single miss should it breathe at you again could prove disastrous. The best course would seem to be to walk cautiously around the Salamander, gauging its movements and behavior. When you are ready, act at once to claim the Salamander's feather that is found somewhere in this room!

So we basically have to circle around this entire huge area to get to the Fire Plume, clearly marked with the yellow exclamation point. There's no random encounters in this area, thankfully, so we can walk around as much as we want. We could even cheese the thing by just walking through the fire through the tiny entrance to this area we're in now, but I want to map out the entire area.

That Salamander seems pretty skittish. It turns around every time we walk!
Can't say I've ever seen a paranoid monster before.
Maybe it's scared of becoming Sophie's dinner...

After the initial scene introducing the Salamander, it'll start turning every time we take a step. When it's not facing us, it won't breathe fire at us.

As soon as Salamander sees you, though, it'll get ready to breathe fire.

Salamander also won't turn if there's fire out on the field.

Hmm... Heh heh, I've got an idea!
Wh--

Hey! Big, steamin' and ugly! Lookit me!
What're you--?!

...Is the Salamander hyperventilating?

SYSTEM: It may have grown exhausted from breathing its flames so often... You suspect from the look of it that the Salamander will be incapacitated for a little while. This may be your best opportunity to hurry and find the Salamander's feather.
Even big beasts've gotta get tired when they do that much that quickly!
Please don't make me worry like that again. I can only revive you so many times... And I can't charge the revival fee once I run out of medicine.

After the Salamander breathes fire three times or so in a row, it'll become inactive for a few turns, giving you free reign to run in front of it without being breathed at.

How many children does the Salamander have to need a nest this big?
Given all the Baby Salamanders that the others said they saw...I'd say somewhere between "quite a few" and "a lot."

I do appreciate that there's no random encounters in the Salamander's nest, but the sheer size of the place means it's pretty boring to walk around in.

Hold up. Did we just make a big circle back to where we are?
Looks like it.
Uggghhhh. At least I think I can see the Fire Plume from here... Can we just sprint over there and be done with this?

While we can't sprint to the Fire Plume area from the start even with the fire, we could've sprinted to here if we wanted to.

...Found it.
SYSTEM: Suddenly, you brush aside the soil and a shining rainbow plume lies before you! This must be the Fire Plume you seek!

Heh-hah! Fine work, Sophie! I hope Dubois is still up this late.

A few floor jumps later, and we're back in town.

Ah, members of Lumen. You did well in bringing back the dreadful beast's plume!

Simply amazing work. I've half a mind to ask you to train our own guard corps!
Um, no thanks. I don't think being a drill sergeant pays well.
I assume you were able to avoid contact with the Salamander? There's no shame in fleeing from it. Take your time, build your strength, and challenge it when you have more experience. It's more than enough for our purposes that you were able to bring back the plume! As a reward for you excellent service to the Grand Duchy, I present you with this.

Much appreciated.
That's going in the guild reserves, Realga. Please stop looking at it like that.
Mrph. Fine.

Man I love mission EXP.

Another point in Link Order for Rheine.

Delayed Charge does a lot more damage with each additional level than Cross Charge does, so I'm prioritizing it over Cross Charge.

Salve is now level 5, which not only gives a big increase to the heal amount and increases the TP to 16, it also increases its action speed, which is what I'm primarily interested in when leveling it up.

Cocytus Formula now deals considerably more damage at the cost of 12 more TP per cast.

Both of Sophie's skill points went into Blinding Curse.

...Ah... No... The fire...

Y'know what? How tough can a monster on the 8th floor be? I bet we'll take it out in no time!
Finally, I can taste the silver meat...

By approaching Salamander from the Tetris block in the top left, you can get behind it and get a preemptive attack.

Alatho!
To arms! HRRAAAGH!
Do we...really want to do this? Can we just leave these two to die, revive them, and never do this again?
Where is your sense of teamwork, Realga?! We must work together!
...As much as I don't like this, Rheine is right.

:siren: VIDEO: Boss Fight: Salamander :siren:

[49 4D 41 47 45 20 4D 49 53 53 49 4E 47]
Salamander
HP: 74 68 69 73 20 77 61 73 20, STR: 61 20 74 65 72 72 69 62 6C, VIT: 65 20 6D 69 73 74 61 6B 65
Skills:
  • 54 4F 4F 20 4D 41 4E 59
Drops:
  • Normal: Flame Marrow
  • Conditional: Flame Breath (Kill while afraid)
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Volt
  • Weak: Ice
  • Nullify: Fire
Ailment and bind resistances:
  • Normal: Poison, Sleep, Head bind
  • Weak: Curse
  • Resist: Paralysis, Panic, Fear, Stun, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Nullify: Blind, Petrification, Instant Death

A giant creature that wears flame itself as armor! It seeks to incinerate its foes.

Ah poo poo, I think my Monstrous Codex file got corrupted. Gonna have to fix that. Anyway, Salamander shouldn't be too bad, right? It's an 8th floor mini-boss, by the looks of it. We've got the ability to deal quite a bit of Ice damage, so we can get to exploiting its weakness. Inflicting Fear is a bit of a pain in the rear end since Salamander resists it quite a bit, but it shouldn't be too hard...once I get Evil Eye.

Rheine'll buff hers and Tyler's damage.

Tyler'll ready up Delayed Charge.

Realga has nothing to do, so I'll just have her Defend.

Stardust'll ready Compression.

And Sophie'll try to inflict whatever.

We cannot lose!

Ready yerself, Salamander! This is gonna hurt!

I can't reach the silvery meat!

Dammit. Like I said, Salamander resists panic pretty heavily.

Pack these together...

I could buff the back row, but I opted for Link Order instead.

Tyler'll work off Stardust and Rheine's ice damage.

Realga still has nothing to do.

Stardust'll start unloading Cocytus Formulas.

And Sophie'll keep trying to inflict panic.

Alright, this can't be that--

Is...is that my blood comin' out?

Uh.

The inferno...beckons...

poo poo.

I-I don't think I fazed it.

poo poo poo poo poo poo.

T-the same for me.

poo poo poo poo poo poo.

I didn't even dent the thing.

A war of attrition it is, then!

Alright, Realga can fix this, no problem!

Please come back, Tyler!

Alright, that's not something I wanna repeat! Let's get back to it!

Ohhhh gently caress.

A sovereign must never falter...

Send my spear...to my parents...

This is beyond healing...

Curtain call...

Okay, hold up, I'm calling bullshit. What are the Salamander's stats?

Salamander
HP: 23000, STR: 60, VIT: 50

O-oh. That was...a mistake, to put it lightly. I should've taken the g61me's 61dvi6365--

AAAAHHHH! NO!
Ranger?! Everything okay?
Y-yeah. You guys are alive?
What're yeh talking about? We just got back from the Duchy. ...Yeh okay there? Yeh look like something's botherin' yeh...
Yeah, I'm fine--owwwww. Just a really bad headache.
We're smart enough to not die, Ranger. Just get some rest.

We'll actually explore 8F next time.

Rea fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 8, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Maybe you would have had more luck if you took Pheobe, Freyja, Jackie, Sophie, and Milly with you for that fight. :v:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 14: Stickerbrush Symphony

Was Ranger okay? That screaming seemed...unlike him.
Yeah. Just said he had a killer headache. Even the blankest of minds can't stand headaches, heh.
Can we get going now? I don't wanna get back too late.

Now that we finished the Salamander mission, the guard blocking the other door has left, letting us go further into 8F. Notice how much of the map Salamander's nest takes up, by the way.

Thorned vines rooted in the floor... The Labyrinth certainly has strange ecology.
Meh. How bad can floor thorns be?

YEOWCH!
Oof.
I have to wonder why we thought this was a good idea.
I--ow--have bandages for our feet. Let's not try that again...

Damage tiles have been in every EO game to date. While they were pretty obnoxious in EO1, where there was no way to mitigate damage tiles at all and walking through them was basically mandatory, they got less annoying in EO2 and on.

A nice change that EO2U makes not just for Labyrinth tiles, but for several Labyrinth obstacles in general, is it'll automatically color the map floor a certain color if you step on a special tile--it won't override floors you paint yourself, though. In this case, the damage tile was painted dark red on the map when we stepped on it.

First Mine point of the floor, with a very convenient location of "7 tiles from the stairs." It gives Scarlet Yams for its ingredient.

And here's something that EO3, EOU, and EO2U all use damage tiles for: letting you skip large portions of the floor if you're willing to eat the damage. I could just walk through the damage tiles that you can see to the right and have Realga heal everyone up, but I'd rather not skip the entire floor.

Flame Lizard
HP: 189, STR: 11, VIT: 12
Skills:
  • Flame Breath: Uses the head. Deals moderate Fire damage to one row.
Drops:
  • Normal: Crimson Hide. Sells for 45 en. 1 needed to make Green Whip (+60 ATK). 4 needed to make Self Bow (+58 ATK). 3 Gooey Fibers and 2 Crimson Hides needed to make Rubber Dress (+23 DEF).
    "Lizard skin impervious to any flame. Often used in place of cloth when thinly sliced."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Volt
  • Resist: Fire
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Panic, Sleep, Curse, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Fear
  • Resist: Paralysis

A lizard that resists heat and spews fire. Nullify its flame, and it is a pushover...

Flame Lizards are annoying. Actually, let me rephrase that: one Flame Lizard on its own isn't that bad. The issue is when there's multiple Flame Lizards in one fight, at which point the damage from Flame Breath starts stacking up quickly. Kill these things first in a battle unless you want multiple dead party members.

You might also notice that the (G) tag on certain skills has been replaced with a monster skill icon. I don't think I ever explained it, but (G) denoted that an enemy skill can be turned into a Grimoire, and the monster skill icon does the same.

Red Gel
HP: 148, ATK: 14, DEF: 13
Skills:
  • Bracing Liquid: Uses the head. Used upon death. Places a physical/elemental attack buff on all enemies. Does nothing if Red Gel is the last enemy to die.
  • Insulation Gel: Uses the head. Raises all allies' resistance to Fire for 3 turns.
Drops:
  • Normal: Gooey Fiber. Sells for 49 en. 1 needed to make Rubber Collar (+28 DEF). 3 Gooey Fibers and 2 Crimson Hides needed to make Rubber Dress (+23 DEF).
    "A fibrous nucleus that gives off warmth. When specially treated, it becomes a soft cloth."
  • Ingredient: Liquid Red Gel. Used in Persimmon Pudding (Western Food 2) and Autumn Dango (Japanese Food 2).
    "A vivid, sweet gelatin."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Volt
  • Resist: Cut, Stab, Bash, Fire

Red Gels, on the other hand, should be killed last. Insulation Gel is completely negligible, especially given that no enemies in the Auburn Thicket are weak to fire, but Bracing Liquid can turn enemies like Flame Lizards into complete nightmares.

Don't think I've shown Chase Heal yet. The way it works is that Realga targets one party member, and then immediately prepares Chase Heal at the start of the turn. Whenever that selected party member takes damage, when the enemy that dealt the damage is done with their turn, the selected party member is healed at least one time, based on the number of times they were hit. The chance of being healed goes down with each heal.

It tastes like strawberry jelly. Not bad.
D-do you really feel the need to consume our enemies? I thought Hexers communed with dark powers...
Eatin' beasts seems like it has the same effect as cursin' them. I wouldn't think too much about it.

Ouch. If you're wondering why Rheine took considerably less damage than Tyler despite having comparable equipment, TEC-based attacks like Flame Breath use a character's TEC value to determine resistance to elemental attacks, instead of VIT. This is why classes like Landsknechts and Highlanders--high VIT but low TEC--tend to take a lot more damage from elemental attacks than others.

Well, aren't yeh speedy?
I was waiting for you to get hit that entire time.

The rest of the battle was uneventful.

We can see a smaller version of what we saw earlier--usually small patches of damage tiles make you take a slightly longer path around.

Those of you who have played EOU might be thinking all of this sounds like B7F from that game, and you'd be correct, because all these damage tiles acting as pseudo-barriers was that floor's gimmick too.

Do we really have to get that treasure? At least, do we have to walk across these thorns?
Unless you want to climb up those trees and get to the treasure from there, then yes.
How can you all be so resistant to inflicting this kind of pain on yourselves?
I'm willing to put up with a lot for the sake of potential riches. Plus, who cares? We already get banged up pretty badly in battle, and I can just patch us right up.

Oh yeah, watch your encounter radar when walking over damage tiles, since getting into a fight after stepping on damage tiles can turn out pretty badly.

Heh heh heh, well worth the pain.

You can also take this path to the chest, if taking 30 damage instead of 20 damage is your thing.

All these long corridors and the damage tiles really make 8F feel more like an EOU floor than an EO2U floor. I dunno, it feels more confined than most EO2U floors do. EO1 and EOU really had things for long, straight corridors with maybe a branching path or two.

Oh yes, I'd like to take this opportunity to mention how nice Venom Curse is for random encounters with just one row. Had I not just slaughtered these things before the Poison took effect, they would've just died on the spot.

Venom Curse isn't an instant "I win" button you can apply to every encounter like it was in EO2 due to the introduction of rows for monsters, and the damage starts falling off much earlier than it did in the original EO2 due to overall higher enemy HP totals, but for the first two or three Strata, it's a nice way to not have to deal with encounters.

Tyler and Rheine got level ups from an otherwise unremarkable encounter.

A minor increase in damage for Link Order, but Delayed Charge got a pretty big upgrade. Not only did its damage for being activated on 1 or 2 turns after preparation get increased a decent amount, but it now goes up to 3 turns. For reference, level 5 Delayed Charge deals 310% damage 2 turns after preparation, while 3 turns deals 430% damage. Yeah.

SYSTEM: Beyond the low grass is a small field with patches of wild strawberries growing in places.
Ooh man, those look tasty.
They don't seem poisonous. Well, they don't LOOK poisonous.
Hey, why not?
SYSTEM: You give thanks for the blessing and enter the field with your comrades to enjoy the snack. A worry flits across your mind that a monster may ambush you, but it proves to be unfounded. You enjoy your fill of freshly-picked strawberries.

Given how fast Realga and Stardust are chewing through their TP with Salve and Cocytus Formula, respectively, a 50 TP heal is much appreciated.

SYSTEM: You suspect that if you come again tomorrow, there may be more of the sweetly tart berries to enjoy. This is a spot to remember for later if there ever was one...

Again, look at the path we had to take to avoid the damage tiles.

Okay, at this point, Sophie, I must ask: where does this insatiable hunger of yours come from?
...I was brought into the Cult of the Shadow Demon at a young age, and studied under the demonologist Sern. He intended to use the cult to bring something he only called the Shadow Demon into our world--
Oh, please.
Eh?
I've known Sophie for years. She was never in any kind of cult, she's just perpetually hungry.

Armor Tortoise
HP: 655, ATK: 20, DEF: 20
Skills:
  • Strike Down: Uses the arms. Deals heavy Bash damage to one row. Only used when the Armor Tortoise is not at 100% HP.
Drops:
  • Normal: Ankylosaur Skin. Sells for 101 en. 1 needed for Broadsword (+63 ATK). 3 Flourite and 2 Ankylosaur Skins needed for Carapace Boots (+9 ATK, +2 AGI, can be equipped by Beasts). 5 Ankylosaur Skins and 2 Rubies needed for Red Claw (+66 ATK).
    "Thorned armor of a giant dragon. Specialized skills are needed to mold it."
Damage resistances:
  • Weak: Bash, Fire, Ice, Volt
  • Resist: Cut, Stab
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Paralysis, Panic, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Sleep
  • Resist: Poison

Its tough shell is also covered in spikes which effortlessly deflect its foes' blades.

I'd advise spending a turn buffing your party before unloading on the Armor Tortoise. Strike Down seriously hurts, but it'll only use it when it is not at full HP. Since the thing's super weak to Sleep, you can tackle it by buffing up for one turn, and then unloading on the Tortoise after putting it to sleep using either Sleep Arrow or Torpor Curse.

Now, watch as I fail to follow my own advice!

Worth noting that you don't get bonus damage from attacking an asleep enemy with a TEC-based attack, like Alchemist Formulas.

Nice damage, but we've only lopped off around half of the Tortoise's HP. This is gonna hurt.

Okay, it didn't use Strike Down. Phew.

That's, erm, quite the way to die.

That could've gone worse if the Tortoise had decided to use Strike Down.

We're roughly halfway done with 8F. Like I said, you can skip a LOT of the floor if you walk through the damage tiles.

Shpichy...
What'd yeh think it was?
A fruit...

The other Mine point of the floor. This one gives Root Chili for an ingredient!

Want to skip most of the floor? Just eat 80 damage on your entire party! That may sound like a lot, but Salve makes it a non-issue.

Holy crap, that thing's huge!
It's smaller than Salamander, but does still seem big for an FOE.
SYSTEM: It will be a challenge to navigate these narrow confines while staying out of the monster's path... Though of course, one option is to engage the monster in combat and force your way through the room.

Haha gently caress you too, game.

SYSTEM: Once you have decided on a course of action, do what you see fit.

So we have a Fire Drake to go around. It has a pretty simple movement pattern.

For every move we make, the Fire Drake will alternate between moving on a set patrol path and becoming inactive. If at any point we get in the thing's line of sight, it will become aggressive, and ditch its patrol path and go after us, with the same moving->inactive->moving pattern.

This Fire Drake isn't that hard to go around: just walk along the edges of the room, and you'll get to the door without getting in its line of sight. Moving onto the next room:

SYSTEM: This room is larger than the last, but the ground is choked with thorny vines. It will be difficult to pass without injury. And you still cannot predict what the monster may do. Careful observation will be necessary to avoid a fight...

Oh yeah, damage tiles throw a wrench into the Fire Drake's field patterns. While a Fire Drake is on a damage tile, it won't go inactive every other turn, meaning it will move every turn.

Oh gods, it looks hungry...
Just follow me, and we'll skip bein' this beast's lunch!

Here's my strategy for this Fire Drake. Aggro it at this position...

Lure it off the damage tiles...

Get into a loving BATTLE ONE TILE AWAY FROM THE FIRE DRAKE OH GOD

No time!

Force Breaks like Eschaton are uesful for situations like this.

Another boost to Cocytus Formula. I dunno if I'll actually max it out for the boss, but I at least want it at level 9.

Anyway, just make a mad dash for the door through the center path after that, and you'll be one step away from the Fire Drake the entire time.

Probably the biggest pain in the rear end encounter on 8F. Thought Armor Tortoises were annoying? Try two of them!

See?

Oh hey, gameplay "feature" we haven't seen yet. If the entire front row dies, the rows will automatically switch, putting your back row in front.

At least Venom Curse and Cocytus Formula make short work of them at the end of the turn.

C'mon, you two, up and at 'em.

Oh, great.

Two of them.

SYSTEM: But considering what you've learned in the process of reaching here, you think you have some idea of how to proceed. When you are fully prepared, then begin moving forth!

This room seems deceptively simple at first. But don't be fooled--it's super easy to get ambushed by one of the Fire Drakes here, and trying to run away from a fight with them is an experience best described as futile.

Here's how I solve this room. Walk onto the lower damage tiles, which'll aggro one of the Drakes while it's off the damage tiles.

Then you just give the Fire Drake the outside until you're at the door.

And we're done with the floor, basically.

Uh-oh. An encounter with a rare breed Flame Lizard, plus a normal Flame Lizard, and my party's at super low HP. This is...a bad situation, to say the least.

Ooh, I know! I'll use this to demonstrate Medical Miracle!

The star... The star... Focus on the star...!

Medical Miracle heals your entire party for what is basically a full heal, purges all debuffs, purges all status ailments, purges all binds, and revives any dead party members while healing them as well. It's basically the best defensive panic button in the game if you're finding an FOE or boss fight going really south.

Yeah, if I hadn't used either Medical Miracle or Steady Hands-boosted Salve, I would've game overed here.

All I can say is, uh, phew.

Please, Realga, try to keep us healthier next time.
Oh, yeah, knowing when monsters'll get on us is something I can super easily do.

That's an interesting mark.
I don't normally take what Asriel says at face value, but his theory that it's a locked door made sense, at least.

We'll be revisiting these doors later on.

Anyone feel like going through this new floor?
No.
Nah.
I would really rather not.
Good, because I'm tired as hell.
I'm getting seriously hungry. Why didn't we eat before we left?

And now that we've stepped into 9F, it's time to head back to town. At this point, I did some off-screen material gathering with the Byeahs.

This also happened while gathering stuff. That's all we need for Quid pro quo.

All the stuff we unlocked.

Broadsword is unlocked by selling 1 Ankylosaur Skin. If I had either Zack or Colette in the party, I'd buy it for them, since Hrothgar's Sword has fallen off in usefulness by now.

Tachi is unlocked by selling 5 Steel Fangs and 1 Flourite. It gives 11 ATK over the Fushuu, but doesn't have the +10 TP bonus.

Green Whip is unlocked by selling 1 Crimson Hide. It has 10 ATK over the Red Whip, and 17 over the Rafflesia Whip. If Freyja was in the party, I might buy it for her since it's the second-best whip you can buy in the 2nd Stratum.

Long Bow is unlocked by selling 10 Scarlet Vines. The Self Bow takes a lot less grinding to get and gives a bigger ATK bonus (+54 ATK vs. +58 ATK).

Rubber Dress is unlocked by selling 3 Gooey Fibers and 2 Crimson Hides. It's the best clothes you can buy in the 2nd Stratum, and I might outfit the more fragile members of the guild with one before the end of the Stratum.

Rubber Collar is unlocked by selling 1 Gooey Fiber. If you're playing along at home, I'd advise holding off on this, since there's another collar unlocked through a later 2nd Stratum monster's conditional drop with a useful added effect.

Pine Shield is unlocked by selling 1 Red Pine. It's not the best 2nd Stratum shield (by one point of DEF), but it gives +1 AGI. I don't know why it does, since that's a negligible increase for any class that can equip shields, and will not even come close to offsetting the action speed penalty from shields.

Pine Staff is unlocked by selling 1 Red Pine. It gives +2 TEC and +20 TP. I actually buy two for Rheine and Stardust, since both of them can chew through TP quite quickly.

Lactarius Maul is unlocked by selling 10 Open Caps. In addition to +53 ATK, it gives +10 HP and +2 VIT. I wouldn't buy it for a damage dealer War Magus, but it's kind of useful if you're doing Combat Medic since the +2 VIT boosts Vital Hit's damage.

Shotgun is unlocked by selling 4 Steel Fangs and 1 Ruby. Boring middle-of-the-road gun. Not even the second-best you can buy in the Stratum.

Since I've started putting in item icons with this update, I should note that blue icons are items that don't need to be restocked, while gold icons will consume a certain amount of materials when bought, and will need their materials restocked when Sitoth Trading runs out. Items made from rare finds from materials gathering points and conditional drops are always gold items.

And let's go through everyone's dialogue, starting with Marion.

By the way, you're a regular at the Flaus Inn, aren't you? Then you've likely met the innkeeper's daughter.
I mean, she IS manning the desk. We see her every day.
She's quite the adorable one...but she's a bit fragile, so be kind ot her if you see her. Well, that's all I have to say for now. Try to avoid unnecessary risks.

Dubois.

...By now, there is very little I can tell you about the Labyrinth that you wouldn't already know. I can only say this. I wish for you to continue your exploration, and find the floating castle... That is all. I will be on my way now. I wish you luck.

Oh hey, Regina has something new for us.

He was thrilled with your work in city development, and he wants you to be in charge of the other districts as well. Which means that you can now carry out advertisement and town development in the North Ward, Uptown...and the Slums. This is something that's very important to FOEbucks's success. I'll be counting on you.

I should really get on top of town development.

Oh yeah. The North Ward is home to Ronin and Troubadours, Uptown has Protectors and Sovereigns, and the Slums house Dark Hunters and Hexers.

Anyway, Regina's dialogue.

All artisans could learn a thing or two from him. It's important to know you can trust in the quality of someone's work. Heh. One day, I'd like to have the same kind of dignity he does.

Still holding off on developing food since we'll get the last 2nd Stratum recipes on 9F.

And now, onto the Stickleback Bar. Let's turn in Quid pro quo, first.

Ahhh, yeh're back, are yeh? Lessee... Oh! If I knew yeh were gonna be that quick, I'd have asked for more!
Haw haw haw! Relax, I'm just kiddin'... Here's the chess piece. Good luck gettin' that Princess! See yeh around!

And we start the slow climb to having 5 "chess" pieces.

The 9F quests.

Labyrinth stew:

Hmm? Yeh want to take this quest? That's actually perfect, since it affects yeh lot too. Yeh've stayed at the Flaus Inn before, right?
We basically live there!
This one's from the landlady over there. Ain't much of a reward for it, so I feel bad makin' yeh handle it... Well, yeh can think of it as repayin' her for all the hot meals and warm beds, eh? She works hard.
We already pay her every night we stay there--
Hush.
Like usual, if yeh wanna know more, go talk to the requester yerself.

Smithy Thompson's request:

Oh, that request is from...ol' Smithy Thompson.
Who?
Yeh lot should know him. He works at Sitoth Trading. He's asked for any guild to collect materials for his next piece. Go to the trading post and ask what he needs. G'luck!

Cass's 9F dialogue:

Oi! Yeh lot! I heard all about it. So that lizard thing wasn't just a rumor!
Oh yeah. It wasn't a rumor. Gods, what I'd give for it to just be a rumor.
Did yeh see it? So, uh, yeh think its tail would grow back even after yeh cut it off?
...infinite meat?!
Cass, if you don't mind me asking...where did you hear that? Why are you bringing this up?
Well...yeh see, I made this bet with a customer. I win if the tail grows back, he wins if it doesn't! ...Just between yeh lot and me, it's a well known fact that lizard tails grow back, right? C'mon, just say yes.
I don't know. The Salamander is considerably larger and more complex than a gecko, for example.
So, what's the answer? C-C'mon, hurry up and say somethin'! I got money ridin' on it! Haw haw haw!

The bar patrons...er, bar patron. Rozsika will never say anything new.

Exhausted Tramonte:

U-Urrgghh... Spikes, spikes everywhere...
I think she's having a nightmare. Anyone got any ideas?
Hot drinks are usually how I prefer to combat drowsiness.
Cass! Hot Osmanthus Tea, please!
Whoa!? Who!? Wh-What is this!? What was that!? Spikes!? Spiked drinks!?

Risen! Wolves! Risen riding wolves!

...H-Huh? Oh, it's you... You woke me up again? Oh, thanks. Is this tea a charm against evil...? Wow, there's so many different types of plants... Yes...plants...plants everywhere. Like those...Attack Cactuses...or maybe the...you know...Attack Cactuses. Sigh... I was trying hard to get a Fleeting Thorn because Lilly wanted it... People say you have to kill an Attack Cactus in just one turn to get the Thorn. Keeps the thorn from getting all beat up! That's the idea, anyway...but you know how hard it is to kill one that quickly?
If it's like any other FOE...hard enough that it's effectively impossible.
Hrgh, but this is all for Lilly's sake! I'll...do my best! I'll keep on trying! *sigh*

I don't think we'll be able to get Fleeting Thorns for a very long while.

And like an idiot, I forgot to get Abigail's dialogue for 9F before taking on Smithy Thompson's request. WHOOPS.

He says he's too busy to come out, but I think he's just shy around people. Isn't that weird for someone like him? Hee hee! Oh, I need to give you his list! He needs... 5 Glow Quills! You can get them from the monsters in the 2nd Stratum, he said. Just sell them back to me once you collect them! We're counting on you!

Glow Quills can be obtained from Madness Owls, which we'll be seeing soon.

And to close out the update, Hanna talks to you immediately upon entering once you take on Labyrinth stew.

Now, listen, kids. Mama's got a problem... Did you kids ever try our signature dish? We call it the "Labyrinth Lunch!" It's a meal decorated with ingredients from the Labyrinth...!
I eat monsters on a regular basis, and that still sounds...unsettling.
Looks terrible, but tourists adore it! My husband usually gets the ingredients we use as decoration, but the poor dear injured himself at work. Now we have a full house, and we're missing the most important part of our signature dish! Can you kids go to the Labyrinth, gather 3 Bendy Vines, and bring them back for me? It's not far at all, dears. Even my darling can get to the 7th floor. Drop off the ingredients at the bar when you're all done, okay, kids? Now, off you go! Mama's waiting, okay?

Fanged Vines drop Bendy Vines, as we've already seen.

Next time: 9F. We're almost done with the 2nd Stratum.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
> You begin to suspect the Salamander's lair is a portal to the Meat Dimension...

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I also went back and added an icon reference to the 2nd post, just above the guild roster. I'll be retroactively editing older posts to apply the new stuff I did in Update 14, which is gonna be fun for updates that were ramming the character limit.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So a tortoise drops the skin of an ankylosaur which is actually not skin but armour, and not from a dinosaur but from a dragon?

This game makes no sense.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Troubadours, like most of the class roster, were introduced in EO1, and while they aren't in EO3 or EO4, Sovereigns and Dancers took up their roles of being buffing supports. In EO1, Troubadours were what you'd generally replace Alchemists with in the late and postgame, mostly because of Relaxing, which healed up a percentage of the party's TP every turn, effectively meaning that you could stay in the Labyrinth as long as you wanted. They were also useful for several postgame bosses there for varying reasons (one of which was because of a bug that meant a status ailment-inflicting and attack-debuffing skill only worked if the targets didn't have an attack buff). Admittedly, after casting their buffs, Troubadours didn't do much, since Song buffs lasted indefinitely in EO1 and 2. In EO2, Troubadours as a class weren't really nerfed directly (aside from the loss of Healing and Relaxing), but the loss of the Boost option (which increased any used skill's level by 5, even at levels 5-10) hurt them pretty badly. Several bosses in EO2 also tended to react badly to your party having an amount of buffs ranging from 15 (everyone in the party having a buff), to one boss that would basically cause a game over if you only had 5 buffs (just ONE Song).

Sovereigns in EO3 replaced Troubadours, with the primary change being that Orders were row-target, compared to Songs being all-target. While the Sovereign innate skillset was fantastic, the class it weren't that great due to Orders (aside from Protect Order) being stat-independent--which meant that most people just put a Sovereign subclass on a Monk (EO3's Medic equivalent) and ignored Sovereigns as a main class. Dancers in EO4 were a really weird class, and one that I never really figured out how to use effectively beyond just utilizing Attack Tango and trying to stun with Sword Dance and Mist Dance. Dancer buffs weren't placed on multiple characters, but were rather buffs placed on the Dancer themself that would give bonuses to allies in their row.

Troubadours then returned in EOU, and were a decent enough class. Song buffs are no longer indefinite, mirroring the changes brought about in EO3 and EO4, and they got Healing and Relaxing back (renamed Healing Lullaby and Peace Ballad, respectively), but Relaxing/Peace Ballad ate huge nerfs: the TP cost for the Troubadour was increased massively, the TP restoration is a static amount now, and the effect is no longer indefinite.

Troubadours got changed up a lot in EO2U, mostly through the Preludes becoming generic damage increases along with their old effects, and gaining the Ensemble skills, which give them something to do when they don't need to re-cast buff Songs. The absolute biggest changes to Troubadours, however, are the addition of the diminishing buffs system, and Crusade, both of which propel them into being one of the best choices for a support in a given party. The diminishing buffs system means that Troubadours, who can work around the system and provide multiple damage buffs through a variety of methods, are now considerably better at providing damage increases compared to other classes that provide buffs. Crusade is also part of how Troubadours work around said system--I'll come back to it later, though.

Stats:
Level 1:
HP: 27
TP: 50
STR: 4
TEC: 8
VIT: 6
AGI: 9
LUC: 8

Level 50:
HP: 196
TP: 368
STR: 18
TEC: 32
VIT: 29
AGI: 34
LUC: 30

Level 99:
HP: 472
TP: 690
STR: 35
TEC: 60
VIT: 55
AGI: 64
LUC: 56

Innate weapon choices: Swords, Bows, Staves

Innate armor chocies: Light armor, Clothes

Common skills: HP Up, TP Up, Speed Up, Take

Troubadours are pretty average as far as stats go, STR and TP excepted-- they have the highest max TP pool out of any class, and their STR is only 5 points above Hexers, who have the worst STR. Bows are probably the best weapons you can put on them, since TEC (which staves tend to give) doesn't factor into any of their skills besides Life Ensemble, bows provide an action speed bonus to make them even quicker, and their above-average AGI means their auto-attacks aren't garbage.

Song Mastery
Requirements: None

Another mastery skill. This time, leveling it up reduces the TP costs of skills learned from Song Mastery, as well as increasing their speed modifiers. For the rest of the overview, note that TP costs listed will not count Song Mastery's TP cost reduction.

Song Mastery is one of the few mastery skills where I'd advise leveling it up over the active skills early on. The action speed increase is decent, although Troubadours are already naturally fast with their equipment choices and decent AGI, but the TP cost reduction is something Troubadours desperately need early on given how much TP their skills cost, even at lower levels.

Warrior Song
Requirements: Song Mastery level 1
Body parts used: Head

Gives each party member a physical/elemental attack buff. Does not affect untyped damage.

One of the most important skills in the Troubadour repertoire. Definitely something that should be maxed out as soon as your Troubadour has enough TP and Song Mastery levels to manage the TP cost at levels 5 and above.

Shelter Song
Requirements: Song Mastery level 1

Gives each party member a physical/elemental defense buff. Does not affect to untyped damage.

Less important than Warrior Song, but can be useful, especially in combination with a Protector.

Energy Ensemble
Requirements: Warrior Song level 3, Shelter Song level 3

For one turn, when any party member with a song buff consumes TP, they will recover TP. The recovery amount is (base_amount + (used_tp * multiplier)).

The Ensembles exist to give Troubadours something to do when they don't need to be casting buffs or tossing out items, and Energy Ensemble is very useful. TP restoration is always handy, especially for classes with low max TP like Landsknechts and Ronin.

Lightfoot Melody
Requirements: Song Mastery level 3

Gives each party member an evasion buff.

Useless. There are better uses of buff slots than evasion, especially given that Protectors and Beasts do a good enough job of keeping your party alive. Even if you don't have one, Lightfoot Melody is still a really bad investment aside from Skanda Ensemble.

Insight Melody
Requirements: Song Mastery level 3

Gives each party member an accuracy buff.

Somehow even more useless than Lightfoot Melody. Pretty much no classes in EO2U after the very early game have issues with accuracy.

Skanda Ensemble
Requirements: Lightfoot Melody level 3, Insight Melody level 3

For one turn, increases the action speed of all party members with song buffs.

Skanda Ensemble, at higher levels, is basically Rise's Leader command from Persona Q that lets your entire party act before enemies, and is really useful as a result. It's not as overall useful as Energy Ensemble, but there's a lot of postgame bosses where having your party get their turns before enemies do is really goddamn useful.

Fire/Ice/Volt Prelude
Requirements: Song Mastery level 5

Gives one party member a generic damage buff, and adds an element to their normal attacks.

The Preludes, along with Crusade, are what propel Troubadours from "kinda useful" to "enablers of insane damage." You might be thinking "wait a minute, what about the diminishing buffs nerf?" That's the thing: the Preludes are generic damage buffs, not physical/elemental attack buffs. As a result, the game doesn't perform diminishing returns on them, meaning that they stack fully with Warrior Song and other attack buffs. They're also the only damage buffs aside from Crusade that affect untyped damage, due to being generic damage increases, but that's kind of a niche use since only one player skill and one Force Break are untyped damage.

Oh, and I guess the added normal attack elements part is situationally useful for getting conditional drops against enemies that nullify a specific element and also have a conditional drop tied to being killed with that element. That only comes up a grand total of four times throughout the entire game, though.

Flame/Frost/Shock Fantasia
Requirements: Fire/Ice/Volt Prelude level 5

Gives each party member a buff that increases their resistance to Fire/Ice/Volt, and gives each enemy a debuff that reduces their resistance to Fire/Ice/Volt.

The increased resistance to an element for your party is nice, I guess, but the real draw of the Fantasias is the decreased resistance for enemies. These debuffs do not count as physical/elemental defense debuffs, meaning they are not subject to the diminishing buffs system when a buffed party member hits an enemy with the corresponding element.

The Fantasias are most useful when in a situation as described above: enemies that nullify an element but require being killed with it for a conditional, since most of their damage is likely tied to that element as well, meaning the resistance buff for your party comes in handy.

Barbaric March
Requirements: Song Mastery level 7

Gives each party member a buff that raises their max HP. Does not heal each party member to their new max HP.

Not a buff I value very much. Barbaric March has a use for one FOE later in the game, but it only needs to be level 1 to be useful. If you want to increase a Beast's HP to give them better tanking potential, there's better ways than using up a buff slot.

Life Ensemble
Requirements: Barbaric March level 3

For one turn, whenever an ally with a song buff takes damage, for one time, they will be healed. The heal is dependent on the Troubadour's TEC/VIT.

Probably the least useful of the Ensembles. It only heals for one instance of damage, and the heal is pretty solidly always going to be mediocre--Troubadours have average TEC/VIT, which doesn't result in stellar healing.

Reverb
Requirements: Energy Ensemble level 3, Life Ensemble level 3

Copies one targeted ally's buffs to another targeted ally. From levels 5 on, Reverb also increases the duration of copied buffs on the recipient.

Reverb is a really weird skill that I didn't entirely get the point of at first. Most buffs in EO2U are multi-target, so what would the point of copying a single target's buffs to another target be? What I didn't think of, however, is that Reverb can be used to restore a party member's buffs after they are killed and revived, which is amazing. Getting a damage dealer back up and running after dying usually takes a few turns, but Reverb just throws that all out the window.

Health Requiem
Requirements: Song Mastery level 10

Gives each party member a buff that raises their resistance to status ailments and binds. Does not raise resistance to instant death.

Health Requiem is probably the most useless Song. I have used it in previous runs and, even at level 20, it barely does anything. It might prevent one person being tagged by an all-target ailment, which is absolute garbage. Don't touch this skill at all.

Alluring Ballad
Requirements: Speed Up level 3
Max level (innate): 10

Raises the encounter rate for a set amount of steps.

I have expressed my dislike for field skills in other class updates, and Alluring Ballad is no exception. I really don't see why you'd want to raise the encounter rate unless you're grinding, in which case just setting an auto-walk path and telling the game to make you always run in the Labyrinth is fast enough.

Jovial March
Requirements: Speed Up level 7

Restores the party's TP every 5 steps for a set amount of steps.

In a game with several useless field skills, Jovial March stands out. Not only is the TP cost absurd, even given Troubadours' high max TP, but it barely restores any TP relative to how many steps it takes to restore that TP.

Healing Rhythm
Requirements: HP Up level 5

If someone with Healing Rhythm has any buffs on them, they will be healed at the end of every turn. Uses the Healing Rhythm owner's TEC/VIT for healing.

A useless passive. Most classes outside of War Magi and Medics don't have the TEC/VIT to make Healing Rhythm worth having at all, and even outside of that, end-of-round healing is not worth a Grimoire slot on any class.

Holy Gift
Type: Passive
Requirements: TP Up level 10

Increases the EXP gained from battles. Has no effect on quest and mission EXP rewards.

I wouldn't invest in Holy Gift on an actual Troubadour, given the fact that if you get TP Up to level 10 when you should, it'll be in the postgame and you won't have a big need for more EXP. Holy Gift Grimoires, however, are probably the best way to speed up grinding--equip your grinding party with 5 level 10 Holy Gift Grimoires, drink the Yggdrasil Clover Tea, set an auto-walk path, and just watch the EXP come in.

War Song
Force Boost

Pauses the duration of all buffs on the party for 3 turns. Enemies become unable to dispel buffs on the party.

War Song is okay. Pausing the duration of buffs is nice, especially with crucial buffs like Compression, and preventing enemies from dispelling buffs is useful for some bosses.

Crusade
Force Break

Activated at the start of the turn. Raises the party's outgoing damage and damage received by 50% each for one turn. Stacks fully with attack and defense buffs.

Crusade is possibly the most broken thing about Troubadours. The defense increase is nice, I suppose, but a flat 50% damage increase combined with Warrior Song and a Prelude results in some ludicrously huge numbers (for Etrian Odyssey, at least).

Rea fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 3, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats the power of music

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Jovial March is kind of like a mass Transfer - uses up a huge chunk of the Troubadour's TP but restores some to everyone else. The problem is that they don't have Cursecut, so it's at best a super inefficient way of making Amrita's kind of affect everyone out of battles or blehhhhhhhhhhhh.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

They've really been trying to nerf TP recovery with each game. Like there's a King Grimoire skill in EOU that cuts down on the party's TP costs by 10. Which would be good in another EO game, except skills are expensive to use in EOU. And the skill itself costs 30 TP to use at max level. Amritas are a nightmare to farm for in EO4, though they're easier to acquire in EOU. But in EO2U, they are impossible for the Story party to farm for in EO2U outside of extreme RNG methods.

The Preludes were generic damage buffs in EOU. It's just that they gave the same amount as Warrior Song, and there were other AOE attack buffs to make use of. And the diminishing returns system didn't exist in that game, so they were overlooked.

Reverb is also useful for transferring powerful single target buffs, and it's a key ability in setting up cheese strats for some bosses.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 9: Cooking by the Book

So now that we've gotten to the 4th floor, let's see what the townsfolk have to say now.

It seems that there is something he wishes to discuss with you regarding Cafe... I haven't been informed of the details, but we would appreciate it if you would come by when time permits.
It seems the Minister may have a request for us. Why don't we head to the Duke's Palace, Sir Knight?

May as well.

I heard of your work from Regina. I also heard you found some new recipes, and provided the name for Cafe.

Everything's going well.
Ah, splendid! I believe the store's preparations are now complete. Next, I'd like you to spread Apicius's dishes among the people...
Uh... what exactly do you mean, spread among the people?
Oh, nothing overly complicated. All I ask is for you to advertise the cafe. It may be a government-run cafe, but it's still fairly unknown among the citizens. I would like it to attract more customers.
Yes, of course! If they don't know it exists, we can hardly expect the citizens to bring their business there.
But would it not be better for Lady Regina to head the efforts? Why would you ask for our assistance?
Hrm... well... Let's just say each of us are suited to different roles, hm?
...Right.
Well, we can give it a shot, but keep in mind we've still got that Labyrinth to take care of. Lots to do, you know?
Hm, a valid point. Which is why I have arranged it so that you will receive a portion of the profits as an incentive.

This is one of the best ways to make money in this game.

Cash? Well, hey, when you put it like that, we can spare some time for this.
...Still kind of a pain, though.

Yeah, it is a pain.
Yeah, you get it.
...Great, I'm seeing double of the old man.
Come on, the minister is right there! The least you could do is act like you're doing it 'cause it's a noble cause!
Hoho, no need to worry. I always ask a great deal of you anyway. I've already told Regina the details. I'll be counting on you.

And now let's see what he has to say normally.

...The Labyrinth is a beautiful place, isn't it? I once entered it alongside the guards... For all its danger, it was lush and beautiful. Certainly, there are forests outside the city, and rich green fields of crops... but the Labyrinth feels different. Ethereal, yes? In some respects, it feels as though the Labyrinth has been watching over us. There is something mystical about it, isn't there? ...Perhaps a god really does reside at the top... Ho ho, it would appear I've been rambling again. Now, I wish the best of luck to you on your adventure.

Speaking of the Labyrinth's looks, I have the opinion that for all its faults, the original EO2 easily had the best looking Strata of the bunch. ...Well, for the most part. And I think the 3DS remake easily did the aesthetics justice. They just look really great. But it might be better if you saw them for yourself.

Now let's head to Cafe and see what we have to do there.

You've already heard about the advertising plan from Grandpa, right?
Indeed, we did. We need to advertise this cafe, correct?
Advertising, huh... So should we try, I dunno, calling customers in and passing out flyers? That kind of thing?
Then again, this city's pretty big. I don't know if that's going to be enough.
Probably best if we concentrate on a specific ward or clientele. That way, we can advertise what they're more likely to go for.
...Huh. I hadn't thought of that.
Do you have information on the people's preferences? Organized by which ward they live in?
Yes, it should be in the information that Grandpa gave me. ...You mind taking a look with me?

The game then gives us a tutorial on advertising. Regina's talk dialogue is the same as in Classic.

Now let's get to cooking!

Hmmm... Looks normal to me.
...Don't judge Apicius' recipes just by looks alone. It's hard to make such springy texture with just rye.
Springy rye bread!? Isn't rye bread supposed to be hard?
I ate it a lot when traveling with Trand.
Because it's hard and not tasty, it gets thrown in the bottom of the sack... and becomes even harder.

But rye bread is so good.
Then, you eat a bunch. I'll eat a bunch of meat for you.
You plan on eating even more meat than now?

That's a waste.
...We ate it in the end.
My jaw hurt.
It was good for me. Because the quiet you became even quieter.

You should've used it as a weapon.
...? What are you saying? You can't make food into weapons.
Exactly. It's not a forgivable thing to handle food in such a disrespectful manner.

And then the conversation goes on from here.

I wish I had something like that!
...Was this touching at all?
Putting memories aside... I'll add this to the menu, so order it again when you feel like it.

And this food increases your max TP pool by 30%. We will be using this a lot.

...Bone in. Superb!
Oh... How wonderful. I absolutely love venison!

Is it that good?
Yes! It is tender and lean... It is very easy to eat, wouldn't you agree?
Hmmm...? I've had deer one time before, but was it THAT good?

You mentioned that before, too.
Oh... You remembered.
How could we forget? The first thing you say after seeing that giant, mean-looking monster is, "It looks delicious!"
Haha, really? Sounds like she's as gluttonous as Chloe.
B-but... deer IS quite delicious.

And the dialogue branches merge after that.

Arianna's right. If you prepare it properly, venison is a very flavorful meat. But well... You can taste that for yourself.
I'll add it to the menu so order it again if you like it.

Deer Steak recovers 5% of your party's max HP at the end of the turn. Not useful, eat something better.

This is... quite an aggressive look.
Yes. Apicius' ideas never cease to amaze me.

...How did it end up like this?
Hm? I simply followed the recipe.
...Er, I think what Knight is trying to say isn't that...

I'm surprised for sure.
Right? Preparing the roller like this was shocking for me, too.
Er, isn't there something to be more surprised about...?

And the dialogue merges here.

Umm... Is it edible like this? Our eyes just met...
Just don't mind it.
...I-I do mind it.
Fine. I'll hide the eyes with leaves.
The rice stuffed in the stomach is delicious too, so be sure to have it.
The... The stomach...?

Are you okay?
I... don't think so. I feel a bit sorry for it...
I feel more sorry if it's not eaten after being prepared. Heck, we were the ones who hunted it.
Y-you're right, but...

You can do it, Arianna!
I-I'll do my best. Dame Regina's cooking is delicious, so I must eat it...!
...You're right. Her food is good, plus the effects are useful... If we think about it that way...
You guys think too much.

And both dialogue branches merge at this point.

...Hrm, there are problems with the presentation, huh? But this is Apicius' will.
I'll add this to the menu so order it again.

Could be useful, I guess. Though I have no idea what the exact numbers on that are.

Thick cut. Thick cut meat. That is... very good.

What a splendid cut!/Meat should always be thick!/A carnival!

Doesn't matter what you say here.

Yep... It really gets me pumped up seeing such a thick cut!
...You're all too excited.
But still, this color... Is this not raw?
Don't worry, it's been cooked. The beautiful coloration is created by slowly broiling it.
And the taste is exquisite.
A rare, thick-cut venison steak...! It is truly delicious...!
...Even you're excited, huh? Young'uns sure like meat...
I-I mean, it's venison! It's so delicious.
Sir Bertrand, perhaps you simply have yet to taste true venison!
Yeah, yeah, I never had it.
Arianna, there's no need for words. We'll have him taste true venison right now.
Yes, Dame Regina! Please do!
Ugh, what a pain...

This is so ridiculously situational, that I don't recommend eating this. Anyways, all that cooking was exhausting. Let's take another nap.

...Still sleeping.

Knight, I meant to ask you this before, but where exactly are you from?

I don't know.
Huh? What do you mean you don't know...?
Oh... right. I heard the Library takes in orphans.
So you and Flavio are both... Sorry, I'm being a little insensitive.

I'm used to it by now.
That so... But that means you don't have any direct connection to Caledonia, then.
Well, the question's been in the back of my mind ever since I met you guys. I thought it was kind of weird that a couple of kids from the Library were picked as Arianna's escorts. You'd think they would choose knights from their own country to do the job, right? That's why I was curious if you had any ties to Caledonia.

Sorta, I guess?

Caledonia's prime minister chose us.

The prime minister chose you personally?
So the princess studied at the Library when she was little...?
And when a monster attacked, it was you who saved her...
...... ......
...All right. I think I get it now. Thanks.

Your lack of subtlety is showing.

...Do you know something?
About what? I was just impressed that the Library accepted exchange students.
Not only do they have nobles studying there, they even get royalty to send their kids.
Welp... I think it's about time this old man got to bed. You should rest well, too. We still have a long road ahead of us...

No dream sequence this time. We just head back to the inn lobby right afterwards. Hanna and Quona don't have any dialogue exclusive to Story on 4F.

Do you have a new product?

And then she gives us a tutorial on Flash Grenades.

Oh, so you do understand! I'll have to keep up with my studies so I know what all this stuff is good for...

I'll test you next time.
H-Huh? A t-test? Then... I'll have to make sure to study... Weapon types... item effects... No, there's so much more... I'll have to research monsters, and about the Labyrinth... and, and...

No rush.
R-Right... Well, I'll try to learn it all little by little, so... could you wait a while before you test me...? Oh, um, I almost forgot. Here's the free sample of the Flash Grenade for you!

Let's talk to her now.

You've already gotten up to the fourth floor, right? All the other customers say nobody's ever climbed that quickly. Hee hee... I told them you got all your equipment from this shop! Oh, sorry... I should probably ask you before I start giving away things like that. I didn't cause you trouble, did I?

Yeah, you did.
O-Oh... um... I-I think I'll go wipe the shelves over there! Um, please take as much time you want to look around!

None of the other NPCs have anything new to say. Let's just head to the 4th floor.

Over there... Something's flying.

It shows no interest in you for now, but there's no knowing when it may change its mind.

This one's new to me, but it looks like it can fly over low obstacles to reach us. Some things that would stop us cold won't matter at all to it, so let's be careful of it as we go.

When the guard notices your presence, he salutes and speaks to you.

You're thinking of some other guild.
Knight... Why do you lie like that? You really should stop that sort of thing.

Sorry, our guild name is just really confusing.

Er... So you ARE Guild? I was actually looking for you.
For us...?
Well, I'd heard you took the mission to slay the king of beasts. And something about that mission worries me. Do you know the guild called Beowulf?
Beowulf...? Yes, we are acquainted. Did something happen to them?
Nothing as yet... but I heard a rumor that they've headed for the 5th floor as well. They might be trying to take on the Chimaera... just the two of them.

Well we're not gonna let them steal our kill!

They won't beat us to it!
Haha... They're strong, it's true. But the problem is, this isn't any ordinary enemy. They're going to try and face the king of beasts...

The guard stops there for a moment before continuing, a hint of longing in his voice.

You're relatively new here, so you may not know, but Beowulf was once a five-member guild. They got along so well... everyone loved them.
But Beowulf challenged the king of beasts... and lost. Hrothgar dragged his comrades back to the city, but only Wulfgar survived.
He... lost his guildmates?
That's right. He was a sorry sight, I can tell you. Ever since, those two stopped going deep into the forest, and started helping young explorers in the early Stratum. So when I heard that those two were headed for the 5th floor... I got an uneasy feeling. This is Hrothgar we're talking about, so I don't think they'd go if they didn't believe they could win. All the same... If you happen to come across them, could you help them however you can? Please... We all want to see them come back alive.

Uhhh, something tells me that we might not be able to do that.

I can't promise anything.
No... just trying is more than enough. You're good people.
Thing is, I don't think those two want us involved.
Huh!?
If they were really out to win, wouldn't they have recruited some new members before heading out? Yet they went in with just the two of them... You ask me, I don't think they want outsiders butting in on this.
...You may be right about that. But Hrothgar, Beowulf's leader... He's such an amazing guy. He really is... And that's why I just couldn't...

Upon speaking thus far, the guard bows his head and apologizes for bring such a topic up before returning to his duties.

What Sir Hrothgar said, about needing to do something... This must have been what he alluded to. He wished to avenge his fallen guildmates...

I'm sure they'll be fine.
...True, Sir Hrothgar and Wulfgar are powerful, after all.
But if the worse were to happen... We should aid them in whatever way that we can!
Then let's hurry on ahead. We might still be able to catch up to them.

The young man is right. To challenge the king of beasts will naturally mean pursuing Beowulf. You decide to hurry to the 5th floor in search of them.

We can actually talk with the guard again.

The guard's voice is small and plaintive, and his gaze does not waver from the forest sky. You must hurry and pursue Beowulf to the 5th floor.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 16, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Alchemists, much like most of the class roster, were introduced in EO1, and formed the basis for the spellcaster classes in the rest of the series. They deal elemental damage, and aside from one or two weird exceptions in seemingly every game, that's pretty much all that they do. In EO1, Alchemists boasted damage way ahead of most classes in the early game (at the cost of needing to expend TP to do anything useful), and also had access to Poison, for some bizarre reason. Due to EO1's disable infliction formula, where it was literally just (BaseChance * EnemyResistance), Poison's whopping 255% base infliction chance at max level, the fact that Poison damage can't be resisted at all, and the fact that most FOEs only had 25% resistance or so to status ailments, Alchemists could be used to cheese most FOEs extremely early and put your party conisderably ahead of the EXP/level curve. Their elemental damage was also useful, obviously, since it'd chew through bosses' HP much quicker than pretty much any class. Around the 4th Stratum or so, however, Alchemists started falling off, due to EO1's incredibly strange TEC damage formula--basically, putting a level in an Alchemist's Formula skills there was more akin to equipping a higher-damage weapon, and the level 10 tier 2 Formulas had damage comparable to a 4th Stratum weapon. By the lategame/postgame, most people ended up chucking their Alchemists aside for a Troubadour.

Now, what was Atlus's reaction to a class that could cheese the earlygame really easily but ended up falling off very sharply in the lategame/postgame? If you're thinking "severely nerf Alchemists," then congratulations! In EO2, Alchemists saw their TP costs get massively increased--I'm talking tier 2 Formulas (single-target, higher-damage) going from costing 14 TP at levels 5-10 to 18 at level 1 and 36 at level 10, and tier 3 Formulas (all-target) going from 20 TP at levels 5-10 to 20 at level 1 and 52 at level 10. They also gained probably the most pointless addition a class could possibly get: physical damage Formulas. Not only did these have less passive damage increases than the normal elemental Formulas, but EO2's really awful physical damage resistance distribution (most bosses resist physical damage, there's a single-digit number of monsters weak to Cut, and no monsters weak to Bash) made them even worse. The only good change that Alchemists got in EO2 was the addition of Analysis, a passive that greatly boosts their damage when hitting an enemy's weakness. While Analysis itself has been changed multiple times, it's become a part of every spellcaster class in EO since EO2.

Zodiacs were EO3's spellcaster class, and despite a massively revamped TEC damage formula that made more sense than having skills be like weapons, they still had the same problems that Alchemists in EO1 did: they cheese the early game super-easily (arguably even more than EO1 Alchemists did), but fall off once the late and postgame come around. Runemasters in EO4 were where Atlus finally learned how to make a spellcaster class that's relevant throughout the entire game, mostly through making the top-tier Rune skills be actually comparable to other classes' damage skills in the later stages of the game, and through the resistance-changing Runes, which allow them to screw with the party and all enemies' resistances to certain elements.

Alchemists returned in EOU with some pretty heavy reworks compared to their last appearance in EO2. Probably the most noticeable of said changes was that Formulas were no longer separated into Fire, Ice, and Volt Masteries, each of which needed to be individually invested in to learn different elements, but instead all grouped under one generic Formula Mastery. The whole "massive TP cost" thing also got toned down from EO2, mostly through skill costs being slightly lowered and Alchemists having much bigger TP pools relative to before. Sadly, it wasn't all sunshine for Alchemists in EOU--Analysis ate a pretty big nerf through being turned into a buff skill that Alchemists have to re-cast every few turns, instead of being a passive.

And now, onto EO2U. Alchemists have had their skillset shuffled around quite a lot here, and have a number of weird and interesting new skills. Most noticeable are the Palm skills: melee-range purely elemental attacks that add elements to whatever action is performed next. They're not the most optimal solution for damage--they deal far less burst damage than Formulas do, and even if they're far more TP-efficient, they still lose out on damage in the long run--but hell if they aren't fun to mess with. They also form the backbone of several cheese strategies for postgame bosses. On the Formula side of things, the order in which Alchemists learn skills got shuffled around, but that's not the major change--that would be the addition of Riot Formula and Compression. Riot Formula is an interesting skill and, I assume, was intended to be the primary Alchemist skill in the lategame, but it loses out big-time compared to Compression, which we'll get to later.

Stats:

Level 1:
HP: 24
TP: 41
STR: 5
TEC: 10
VIT: 5
AGI: 4
LUC: 6

Level 50:
HP: 166
TP: 317
STR: 20
TEC: 39
VIT: 16
AGI: 24
LUC: 34

Level 99:
HP: 396
TP: 597
STR: 37
TEC: 74
VIT: 30
AGI: 48
LUC: 67

Innate weapon choices: Staves

Innate armor choices: Clothes

Alchemists have the best TEC stat out of any class, and the second-highest TP pool--you'd hope so, given that they rely on their TEC stat to determine damage, and their skills cost way more TP than any other class. They also, bizarrely, have the second-highest LUC out of any class, even though they don't have any skills that use it--it does make them more resilient to disables than most classes, though. Aside from that, their AGI is sub-par, their STR is straight-up garbage, and their VIT is the lowest out of any class. If you're going to be running a front-row Alchemists for Palm skills, you REALLY need either a Protector or, ideally, a Beast.

Formula Mastery

The mastery skill for Formulas, as its name implies. Raises damage dealt by Formula skills.

Fire/Ice/Volt Formula
Requirements: Formula Mastery level 1

Deals ranged TEC-based Fire/Ice/Volt damage to one enemy. Has an 80% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy at all levels.

The most basic skills in the Formula tree, and probably what your Alchemist will be using for most of the early game. I wouldn't level these up past level 1 unless you REALLY want Riot Formula, though.

Flame/Freeze/Spark Formula
Requirements: Fire/Ice/Volt Formula level 5

(Flame Formula)
(Freeze Formula)
(Spark Formula)

Flame Formula deals ranged TEC-based Fire damage with a splash effect, Freeze Formula deals ranged TEC-based Ice damage with a line-piercing effect, and Spark Formula deals ranged TEC-based Volt damage to the entire enemy front row. All of the skills have 70% speed modifiers and 150 base accuracy at all levels.

Boring middle-of-the-road Formulas. If you're going for Riot Formula, these are probably what you'll be using throughout the midgame.

Riot Formula
Requirements: Flame Formula level 3, Freeze Formula level 3, Shock Formula level 3

Deals 5 random-target instances of ranged TEC-based Fire, Ice, or Volt damage. TP cost is reduced based on 60% of the TP the Alchemist used from the start of the battle to casting Riot Formula. TP cost is reset upon casting Riot Formula. Has a 60% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy at all levels.

Riot Formula is a really, really weird skill. It's pretty obviously intended to be an option for late and postgame Alchemists, but it has two massive problems. The most obvious is the TP cost, which is extravagant at best and unsustainable at worst. The other issue, however, is that the element chosen for Riot Formula is completely random, which really sucks since you really want to be hitting enemy weaknesses and, unless you're going up against something weak to all elements, Riot Formula can't guarantee that. I honestly would not advise investing in Riot Formula.

Inferno/Cocytus/Thor Formula
Requirements: Formula Mastery level 5

Deals Fire/Ice/Volt damage to all enemies. Has a 60% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy at all levels.

The all-target Formulas--if you're going for a Compression build, these are skills you really want to max out eventually. Outside of Compression, the all-target Formulas are one of the best options for clearing out random encounters, and they're more sustainable than their high TP costs would suggest, due to how high Alchemist TP pools are and the fact that the TP Up food exists.

Compression
Requirements: Inferno Formula level 3, Cocytus Formula level 3, Thor Formula level 3

Gives the caster a 4-turn buff that makes all-target attacks single-target only, but gives them a damage buff to compensate. Has a 60% speed modifier at all levels.

The most important skill in the Formula tree, and the skill you'll probably be beelining for if you're going for a standard non-cheese Alchemist. A level 20 Compression + level 20 all-target Formula outdamages pretty much any other skill in the Alchemist skillset and requires less maintenance (or randomness, in the case of Riot Formula).

Fun fact: Compression does not apply exclusively to Formulas. It applies to any skill or item that attacks all targets. There's two important things to note as a result of this: the first is that Compression works on the tier 2 Jar items. Why is this important, you might ask? Because a) the Jars don't cost TP to use, and b) there is a food you can cook from the 4th Stratum on that doubles damage dealt from attack items. At that point, Alchemists go from being pretty good damage dealers to absolute monsters, especially with Compression up. This is also key to getting around a really annoying counter skill for a lategame boss, so keep this in mind!

The other fun note about Compression is that the Ronin skill Frigid Slash, which deals Cut+Ice damage to all enemies, gets the bonus damage from Compression if the user has the buff on them...but doesn't actually become single-target. This is probably tied into the fact that Frigid Slash is the only all-target composite-damage-type skill in the game. It's a fun buggy interaction, but it's not particularly useful.

Nuclear Formula
Requirements: Formula Mastery level 10

Deals ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to one enemy. Has a 60% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy at all levels.

If, for whatever reason, you're not going for Compression on an Alchemist, you'll probably want Nuclear Formula. While the fact that it's untyped means it can't be used with Analysis at all, and doesn't benefit from physical/elemental damage buffs without the use of Palms, it's the most reliable high-damage Formula skill. Riot Formula can theoretically deal more damage, but you still have to put up with the random element thing. If you are going for Compression, ignore Nuclear Formula.

Palm Mastery

The mastery skill for Palm skills. Raises damage dealt by Palm skills.

Fire/Ice/Volt Palm
Requirements: Palm Mastery level 1
Body parts used: Arms

Deals melee TEC-based Fire/Ice/Volt damage to one enemy. Only usable from the front row. Grants the next action performed by the Alchemist a damage buff and the element of the Palm skill used. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy at all levels.

Palms are really strange yet interesting additions to the Alchemist skillset. They don't deal much damage on their own, but a) they increase the damage dealt by the user's next action, and b) they add the element of the Palm that was used to the user's next attack. Yes, this applies to everything, including stuff like Eschaton. You can get some pretty huge numbers by sticking a Palm Grimoire on a class that has high damage modifiers (Dark Hunters, for example) and having them use the Palm an enemy is weak to, followed by a very high-damage attack.

It's worth noting that if TP-to-damage ratio is something you consider important, the Palm skills are actually incredibly TP efficient at higher levels, especially when you factor Additional Palm into the mix.

Splash Palm
Requirements: Palm Mastery level 5

When hitting an enemy's weakness with a Palm skill, may cause splash damage to enemies on either side of the struck target.

Basically a way for Palm Alchemists to be better at clearing out random encounters. It's not a terribly exciting passive, but if you're really sticking to Palm Alchemist, you'll probably want this maxed out eventually.

Additional Palm
Requirements: Palm Mastery level 10

At the end of a turn a Palm skill was used, the user will hit the enemy damaged with a Palm skill with an additional melee TEC-based attack of the same element as the Palm skill. Does not check for accuracy.

Additional Palm is basically what propels Palm skills from being "pretty TP efficient" to "one of the most TP-efficient skills in the game." It's literally just free damage at no extra TP cost. Definitely something you want maxed out sooner rather than later.

Sight Formula
Requirements: TP Up level 5

Shows the locations of shortcuts, stairs, FOEs, and materials gathering points on the map.

Do I really need to state my opinion on field skills again?

Analysis
Type: Force Boost

Raises damage that hits an enemy's weakness by 165% for 3 turns.

Yes, Analysis ate another arguably-nerf after EOU. You don't have to spend a turn casting it this time around, but on the downside, it now has a double-digit turn cooldown if you don't have other ways of increasing Force. Even with that, Analysis is still as useful as ever, especially given that you're getting an additional damage bonus on top of hitting an enemy's weakness.

Eschaton

Deals ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to all enemies. Damage scales linearly based on user level, from 600% to 2600%. Has a 50% speed modifier.

It's another multi-target Force Break with big damage. Analysis is useful enough, however, that you should probably seriously think about if the battle will be short enough that casting Eschaton will be more useful than getting another Analysis down the road.

Rea fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 28, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 15: I Hate Cacti

And we begin the update with finishing Labyrinth stew. Didn't take very long--just made an auto-walk pattern near the entrance to 7F and waited.

Haw! Back already? How was it? That landlady's even scarier than an FOE, eh?
Nnnnnnnot really?
Her husband's gotta be a brave one to go after that kinda woman...! ...Uh, don't tell her I said that. Let's see here... Urgh, she's sticking this crap on top of her food!? That's...unsanitary. Who would even order somethin' that looked like this? Guess I better bring it over to her. ...I don't even want to touch it, but a job's a job. Here, this is yer reward. Looking forward to seeing yeh again!

Oh come on. You couldn't give everyone 5 more EXP, Cass? Rheine's so close to a level.

Minor boost to Delayed Charge.

At this point I'm going to opt for maxing out Overheal over more points in Salve.

And Blinding Curse now has a much higher success rate at the cost of 4 more TP per cast.

Finishing Labyrinth stew unlocked this quest.

Oho, that quest? It's from that landlady again. She says some high-society VIP guest is askin' for some exotic fruit you can only get in the forest... ...No accountin' for taste. One bite of that Labyrinth Lunch, and I'd figure he'd be runnin' for the hills. Like usual, go to the Inn if y'want the full story. G'luck, guys!

We do just that.

The other day, this VIP booked a room. They said some kind of tasty fruit is in the Labyrinth, and they want some? Where they heard it from, I don't know, but I suppose someone recommended us! Said we know all about Labyrinth food. Now, I'm no expert on the Labyrinth...but we can hardly turn down a special VIP request, can we, loves? I was at the end of my tether...! And then some kind young explorer mentioned that strawberries grow in the forest! Now, where they grow, that's an issue. I heard that these berries are on the 8th floor, somewhere northeast.
Oh, we've eaten those berries before.
A delicate flower like me couldn't handle that trip, and my hubby threw out his back yesterday. So it's up to you!
Uh, is yer husband okay?
Bahaha, aren't you kids sweet! No need to fuss. This happens all the time. Just needs a bit of bedrest, that's all. But that's not the issue, is it? This VIP trotted off to the 8th floor to hunt. You kids need to get the strawberries from northeast on the 8th floor, and bring it to the VIP. Now then, this VIP told me he's all cozy and camped in the area, so just bring it over...here, will you?

Be careful out there, loves. Thanks!

So this is a very simple quest. We just have to go to the spot at the very top right of 8F where we got the TP-restoring strawberries, get some, and then go to the point Hanna marked.

We can also visit the VIP's camp before we have the strawberries.

SYSTEM: Possibly alarmed by the urgency of your pace, one guard reacts quickly - lowering his weapon to bar your path.
Woah woah woah! Calm down! We were sent by the innkeeper.

SYSTEM: Realizing that this must be the VIP's camp, you explain your assignment for the berries, but the guard does not relax.
...I don't see any such fruit in your possession. If you expect me to believe you, I'll need some proof. If what you say is true, then return when you've actually got the berries.
SYSTEM: The guard says no more, but bars the way, his eyes cold and wary--more suspicious than he had been before the explanation. You take your leave of the place, heading northeast to find the strawberries said to be there.

SYSTEM: Do you remember the quest you accepted to deliver the VIP's strawberries that the Inn's landlady requested? You decide that these are the berries in question, having already tried them, and pick a fine selection for the VIP.

Seems good.

The first few lines are the same as last time.

We have the berries this time.
SYSTEM: The guard pauses, considering your words, and speaks again with a more composed tone.
I see. In that case, I will deliver your findings. Your duty has been fulfilled.
SYSTEM: You express your gratitude to the guard, and take your leave of the camp. You have completed the quest! All that remains is to return to the bar to report and receive your reward.

Oh, aren't yeh quick! Now, let's see. Did yeh pick up something scrumptious for the VIP?
Those berries are very sweet. That VIP's probably devouring them.
Mmhmm, a forest berry? I see. Hmm... Ooh, I bet this would make a fine wine. Perfect for ladies' night...! I should get yeh kids to pick up some more of those berries... Oh, what's that grimace for?
You'd better pay us if you're gonna make us do that.
Oh, fine, fine, don't go all gloomy. I'll ask someone else. Here's yer reward--thanks, loves!

Point Blank is a Gunner charge skill that gives a damage boost at the expense of making all ranged attacks melee for one turn. It's the best charge skill in the game--as in it gives 200% damage boost at level 20 and 175% at level 10--but that's not saying a ton. It's most useful in combination with Burst Shot, since that has a cooldown.

None of that matters with this Grimoire though, since it's not level 10.

Still maxing out Cocytus Formula in preparation for the stratum boss.

And here's Hanna's 9F dialogue.

...You really do enjoy going into that Labyrinth, don't you? I sit honestly that much fun?
Well, seeing a completely-drawn map when we finish a floor is pretty satisfying. Plus, I'm getting paid for it!
Eating monsters is very fun, yes... Every monster has its own unique flavor.
Every time I see you, you're all scratched and bruised up! You're going to get scars like that, you know.
Meh. Scars are heroic, y'know. Yeh get to tell the stories of how you got each one!
I'm sure you boys don't mind, but you girls need to watch out! I don't know much about explorers, but I do know that people look at a girl's battle scars differently than a boy's!
I'm pretty solidly in the "don't care" camp on that.

9F is a really short floor, so let's just get it out of the way.

So, which way do we go?
Call it a hunch, but left seems like the actual way forward.
It's in our best interest to completely explore the entire floor, including the north door, though.
I invoke my divinely-given right as a Sovereign to decree that we go through the north door!

Gryphon
HP: 352, STR: 21, VIT: 17
Skills:
  • Slashing Claws: Uses the arms. Deals heavy Bash damage to one target. Lowers the target's evasion for 3 turns.
Drops:
  • Normal: Steel Beak. Sells for 58 en. 1 needed to make Broba (+74 ATK). 5 needed to make Lorica Segmentata (+32 DEF, +5 TP). 5 Flourite and 3 Steel Beaks needed for Katzbalger (+67 ATK).
    "Sturdy, steel-like beak of a Gryphon. High heat is needed to work with it."
  • Rare: White Crest. Sells for 66 en. 1 needed to make Wing Cuirass (+27 DEF). 5 needed to make Round Shield (+21 DEF). 6 needed to make Heart Briar (+68 ATK).
    "The brilliant white crest of a Gryphon. For its size, it's unbelievably light."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Bash, Fire, Ice
  • Weak: Stab, Volt
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Panic, Sleep, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Paralysis
  • Resist: Stun

Long thought to exist only in myth, it has sharp claws and creates gusts with its wings.

Gryphons are pretty annoying. They're really, REALLY fast, and Slashing Claws hurts pretty badly--Tyler takes ~90 damage from it, for reference.

Madness Owl
HP: 210, STR: 13, VIT: 14
Skills:
  • Confusing Dust: Uses the arms. Attempts to Panic one target.
Drops:
  • Normal: Glow Quill. Sells for 55 en. 1 needed to make Quill Armguard (+12 DEF, +1 AGI). 3 needed for Glaucus Spear (+64 ATK). 5 needed for Owl Earring (Panic Immunity) (unlock finishes Smithy Thompson's request).
    "Luminescent feathers of a Madness Owl. Also used in accessories due to its beauty."
  • Conditional: Bound Wings (Kill while arms are bound). Sells for 105 en. 1 needed to make Owl Eyes (+32 DEF, +25% resistance to Panic).
    "Wings that can no longer be moved. Many stay away, unsure when they'll move again."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Bash, Fire, Ice
  • Weak: Stab, Volt
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Poison, Paralysis, Sleep, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Panic, Head bind
  • Resist: Blind

If you do not bind its wings, it is likely the place you met this owl will also be your grave.

Madness Owls are similarly annoying. Panic is one of the worst ailments to get hit by--having a support get tagged by it means you can't dispel it, and having a damage dealer get tagged by it means you run a high risk of a party member getting either softened up enough for a monster to kill them, or killed if their HP is already low enough.

This particular monster formation is somewhat similar to a few of the Ladybug fights from the 1st Stratum--do you try to kill the Gryphon first and hope the Madness Owl doesn't Panic key party members, or kill the Madness Owl first and let the Gryphon wail on you in the meantime?

Those're...those're some pretty strong claws yeh've got there!

Ouch. Rheine would probably have died to that.

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Luca Mathers? This is Luca Mathers speaking. I am the woman who loves her special effects. I am the woman who does not sacrifice...
Ugh. I told her not to read that doorstop-sized self-serving garbage in disguise as a book.
Hm? I would've thought that Yggdrasil Shrugged would be something you admire.
I'm not a sociopath, I just like being compensated for my work.

My spear bets yer claws!

A script that holds need as a claim, holds emptiness-non-existence-as its standard of value; it rewards an absence, a defeat: weakness, inability, incompetence, suffering, disease, disaster--
STOP.

Oh thank the gods, it's gone.

I...didn't know that Madness Owls could run away if you let a fight against just one of them run on for too long.

Either tiles around treasure chests are more likely to trigger encounters, or I am just "lucky" enough to have this happen a bunch.

It's worth in the end, though. I'll start cooking 2nd Stratum food once I get every ingredient.

Now this is just annoying.

Ice shards!

Well, it would be if I didn't have Stardust.

This, on the other hand, is a potentially deadly encounter. If both of the Gryphons gang up on anyone, they're dead. No ifs, ands, or buts.

This is why you can generally be a little lax about upgrading your back line's armor--the back row damage reduction usually keeps them safe.

All-target Formulas and Venom Curse are a pretty easy, if a bit TP-expensive, method of just saying "nah" to dealing with random encounters.

SYSTEM: Eventually you discover a monster's young at the root of a tree, chirping and wheezing. A lump seems to be lodged in the down-covered chick's throat, which it is trying to dislodge. It may have swallowed something dangerous... If left alone, it will eventually die. On the other hand, you are well aware that it is a monster's young you're dealing with.
Ohhhh, this is difficult.
Huh?
It's technically a monster...but it's only a child monster.
That thing's just going to try to kill another explorer once it grows up. Leave it.
We don't know that, though. What if an explorer killed Ursa while she was a child?
Oh, screw this.

SYSTEM: The chick heaves several times before giving a violent upheaval as the mass comes loose! Finally at peace, the chick looks at you with beady eyes. One last chirp, and it is gone.
Everything deserves a fair chance, no?
Aww.
Ha. I suppose this is that "Highlander justice" I've heard so much about?
Idiots. ...Wait, what's this thing?
SYSTEM: You look at the lump caught in the chick's throat, and are surprised to find a gemstone. You take the gem as a reward for your benevolence and leave the area.

A bit of extra money, I guess. Rubies aren't particularly rare.

Yeah, the only interesting things about this area is the recipe book and the baby monster event. I head back to town at this point to replenish Stardust and Sophie's TP and to sell off what I've gotten so far.

And here's what I got from selling said stuff.

Katzbalger (+67 ATK) is unlocked by selling 5 Flourites and 3 Steel Beaks. It's the best sword you can get in the 2nd Stratu, so if you haven't upgraded your sword users' weapons, this is probably a good time to.

Broba (+74 ATK) is unlocked by selling 1 Steel Beak. It's not the best axe you can buy in the 2nd Stratum, but the other one's annoying to unlock and only gives +5 ATK compared to the Broba.

Self Bow (+58 ATK) is unlocked by selling 4 Crimson Hides. It's the best bow you can buy in the 2nd Stratum.

Lorica Segmentata (+32 DEF, +5 TP) is unlocked by selling 5 Steel Beaks. If you have a Landsknecht or Protector, I'd buy either this or the next heavy armor we can unlock after this one before the end of the stratum.

Wing Cuirass (+27 DEF) is unlocked by selling 1 White Crest. Again, I'd buy it for your non-heavy-armor wearing front liners before the end of the stratum.

Quill Armguard (+12 DEF, +1 AGI) is unlocked by selling 1 Glow Quill. If you have a Survivalist or Gunner, this'll provide a minor damage boost for them.

Carapace Boots (+9 DEF, +2 AGI, Beast-equippable) are unlocked by selling 3 Flourites and 2 Ankylosaur Skins. It's not a big DEF boost, but the AGI boost, again, is useful for Survivalists and Gunners.

Owl Eyes (+32 DEF, Panic resistance +25%) is unlocked by selling 1 Bound Wings. The Panic resistance boost is nice, but it's small enough that I wouldn't really rely on it.

Alright, can we get on with the floor now?

Anyone else hear something spiky?
...Buh?
SYSTEM: All at once, you feel predatory eyes fixed upon you and turn to face them!

...A walking cactus. With one eye.
How drunk did the god of monsters get to make this thing?
Can we please focus on how it's looking at us like it wants to eat us?!
SYSTEM: Its malice toward you is apparent, and it is clear that it has marked you as prey. Yet you see no way to progress into the Labyrinth without taking this path. You must find some means of handling this dilemma in order to reach the next room!

Alright. You see those damage tiles? You know how the Fire Drakes reacted to walking on them by speeding up?

Attack Cacti react by being damaged and de-aggroing from you. They will then limp away and become inactive for a few turns before healing and aggroing again.

The game has text for this, but it's seven dialogue boxes to tell you what I just said.

Heh heh, it's vulnerable! CHARGE!
Oh my GODS, can you all stop fighting FOEs when we can just walk past them?!
No.

Attack Cactus
HP: 6610, STR: 27, VIT: 23
Skills:
  • Revenge Needle: Uses the arms. Prepares to counterattack at the start of the turn. When hit with physical damage, counterattacks with severe Stab damage to the source. Will counter every attack until the end of the turn.
  • Double Needle: Uses the arms. Deals two instances of heavy Stab damage to one target. Uses AGI for determining damage.
Drops:
  • Normal: Cactus Spine. Sells for 322 en. 1 needed to make King's Gun (+70 ATK, +5 LUC).
    "Light, sharp thorn on an Attack Cactus's head. The inattentive may prick their fingers."
  • Conditional: Fleeting Thorn (Kill on the first turn). Sells for 1070 en. 1 needed to make Fortune Scarab.
    "A rare long needle on an Attack Cactus's head. Usually falls out immediately when hit."
  • Ingredient: Dragon Fruit. 2 needed to make Persimmon Pudding (Western Food 2; Rare enemy rate slightly up). 2 needed to make Dragon Jelly (Chinese Food 2; Paralysis resistance greatly up). 2 needed to make Autumn Dango (Japanese Food 2; Curse damage tripled).
    "Fruit of a violent cactus."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab
  • Weak: Bash, Fire
  • Resist: Ice, Volt
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Paralysis, Panic, Curse, Fear, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Sleep
  • Resist: Petrification, Instant Death, Stun

A predator whose body is covered in sharp needles.

Attack Cacti are really dangerous FOEs to fight if you have any physical damage dealers. Revenge Needle basically means you need to hold off on using any physical damage sources until you can either Panic the thing or bind its arms.

Also, I'm sure you could guess it just by looking at that HP total, but even with the slight damage we already got from the damage tile, we are not going to be killing this thing on the first turn--not for a good long while.

Rheine is my second most reliable damage dealer in this fight, behind Stardust, so buffing her Link Order damage is a good idea (Compression and Attack Order trigger the diminishing buff returns on each other, and Attack Order would lose out there).

I don't actually know if Delayed Charge will trigger Revenge Needle, but I can probably bind the Cactus's arms before its turn counter runs out.

Medics really don't have much to contribute at the start of a fight if Overheal isn't a high enough level to be worth using.

Compressed Inferno Formulas are my best damage against the Cactus.

I REALLY need to bind the Cactus's arms, so I even enable Creeping Curse to increase the odds of of Abdomen Curse landing.

I...don't know what the point of doing that was.

OUCH!
Needle got your tongue?
...Yes.

Soggy bullshit.

This was a mistake. I should've just had Rheine cast Link Order.

Tyler attacking could result in him getting killed, so I just have him hold off until the arm bind lands.

Tyler's high HP means he's the most likely to get targeted if the Attack Cactus uses an attack or Double Needle, so I have Realga prep Chase Heal in case Tyler somehow doesn't die from it.

Analysis will help make up for Inferno Formula's low level.

I'd rather wait till Sophie can break off those needles.

...That may take a while.

You've gotta be stirring my pasta.

And using Chase Heal paid off.

Now THAT is what I like to see! We'll need the rest of the party to contribute if we want to kill the thing soon, though.

I finally stop being dumb and just activate Link Order.

Euch... There, the needles are gone. I would've rather eaten its fruit...

THERE we go.

Now that Tyler can finally deal damage, we'll be able to kill this thing pretty quickly.

Alright, let's use Delayed + Cross Charge.

If the fight goes on long enough for Stardust to get another Analysis, I'm probably screwed, so might as well use Eschaton.

If I can Poison the Cactus, the battle will be over quite a bit more quickly.

And the thing's wasted a turn.

Well, it's not as much as Stardust is dishing out, but both Delayed and Cross Charge are at fairly low levels. Highlanders need a lot of levels to start dishing out big burst damage.

One turn to Poison it. Sometimes I feel like the game's taunting me.

Alchemists are really, really good damage dealers.

Gotta love Poison too.

Attack Cacti have a LOT of HP, even if you take advantage of the damage tiles.

I could have Tyler prep another Delayed Charge, but I'd rather get as much damage out of Hero Battle as possible.

And here I make a really goddamned moronic decision and somehow think the battle will be over soon enough to make casting Comnpression not worth it.

Sophie's run out of things to do for now, so I might as well just boost everyone's damage a tiny bit.

Even with the arm bind reducing its STR, the Attack Cactus still hurts. It's worth remembering that Sovereigns have sub-par VIT, though, even though they can wear heavy armor.

And that's why not re-applying Compression was a bad idea.

At least Spear Assist deals kind of nice damage. I should've put Tyler's Spear Assist Grimoire back on him.

Aw crap. The thing's close to dying, but not only did the poison wear off, the arm bind did too.

This is what we like to call both "desperate" and "really dumb".

And I realize how much Stardust's damage output suffered from my dumb decision and re-apply Compression.

Blinding the Cactus probably won't stop Revenge Needle, but it's still the most useful disable I have that's likely to land.

Welp. Goodbye, Tyler.

Oh yeah, Spear Assist does really pitiful damage if no-one used an elemental attack before it.

That...wasn't worth it...

Tyler died for 56 damage.

I activate Steady Hands since the battle's going south very quickly, and I need to get Tyler back in fighting shape as soon as possible. It doesn't actually boost Revive's heal, but it does boost its action speed.

Get up get up get up! Hurry!

Ozh...miskath...

Aaaa, the fight was going so well, too!

No rest for the wicked, I'm afraid!

Killed...by a cactus...
Oh, for the love of the gods, STOP DYING!
Easy for YOU to say, back line medic girl!

Sooo cloooose.

If there's a better time for Medical Miracle, it doesn't matter, because this is the last turn of Realga's Force Boost.

Hah... Hah... Please, stop dying, I'm getting exhausted...
Oh? Realga not getting tunnel vision on running up the bill?
I'm...at my limits, Luca.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Medical Miracle is really powerful.

I never wanted to know...what the business end of a spear felt like...
Uuuugghhh.

gently caress.

I hate...cacti...
Kill me.
Think twice before yeh say that.

I probably would've won by now if I hadn't made all those dumb decisions.

Burn it all.

God, I played that fight really badly. I forgot to invest Sophie's skill point, too.

Let's...let's just walk around this one.

Next room's more of the same.

Lure the Attack Cactus to damage tiles...

And then just walk around it while it's limping away.

The last room of 9F (yes, it really is this short) is a bit more involved. We have several patches of damage tiles scattered across the room, and two Attack Cacti to deal with.

The way I do this room is lure the upper Cactus into the damage tiles...

Followed by the other one.

When you walk to this tile, the upper one will re-aggro to you, while the lower one will still be limping.

Avoid running into the limping Attack Cactus from a direction that's not the back (yes, I've done this before), and lure the upper one into that lone damage tile.

And from there, you're home-free.

I don't actually go to 10F yet, since I still need to finish Smithy Thompson's request and get Abigail's dialogue. I learned from the last time I lost dialogue by going to a new floor, don't worry.

I head back to town since Rheine and Tyler died while grinding Glow Quills and Realga ran out of TP. I also sold off the stuff we got.

Heart Briar (+68 ATK) is unlocked by selling 6 White Crests. It's the best whip you can buy in the 2nd Stratum.

King's Gun (+70 ATK, +5 LUC) is unlocked by selling 1 Cactus Spine. It's not the most-damaging gun from the 2nd Stratum by +3 ATK, but the +5 LUC offsets that as far as I'm concerned, since it makes Gunners less likely to be hit with ailments or binds.

Glaucus Spear (+64 ATK) is unlocked by selling 3 Glow Quills. It takes a lot less to unlock than the Long Spear (which is 10 Hardwood and 5 Steel Horns (from the next floor)), but gives -8 ATK. Whether or not that's worth the Long Spear grind is up to you (it is to me).

Realga got a level from Glow Quill grinding. Overheal now gives slightly more extra heal, although the max HP boost didn't go up (that only goes up at levels 5, 10, 15, and 20).

I also remember that Sophie got a level from the Attack Cactus fight, and at this point, I want to get Evil Eye while also boosting the rest of her disables' infliction chances, so I invest in Curse Mastery.

Tyler then got a level from more grinding. Delayed Charge now does slightly more damage.

I ended up in a LOT of fights trying to get Glow Quills, alright?

Cocytus Formula now does slightly more damage.

FINALLY. Good lord.

Owl Earring (Panic immunity) is unlocked by selling 5 Glow Quills. These things are going to be very, very useful for the Stratum boss.

Abigail then starts talking when we leave.

When a smithy puts his heart and soul into a piece, it ends up with mysterious powers. Just by holding it, you could become faster, or stronger, or who knows what else!
Yeah, uh, how does that work, anyway?
My father and everyone in his crew pray for your safe return when they make the equipment.
It's...prayer that gives power? Is that it?
I know they'll protect you in the Labyrinth, so please use them! Thank you again for all your help! You'll take any other requests I have, right?
Y-yes, but, uh, are you gonna give an answer? ...No? Alright.
Sophie can, among other things, poison monsters just by biting them. I wouldn't question anything that happens around here that much.

And here's Abigail's 9F dialogue.

Oh, hi everyone! Welcome! How can I help you today? Oh, my dad wanted me to give you all his regards. Hee hee... He says that whenever he sees all of you, he gets really motivated about his work. He gets all worked up over the wewapons he's making, or some kind of armor... He seems so happy when he talks about that stuff.
That's good to hear. So few people these days seem to enjoy their work, at least back in my kingdom...
Oh, but...make sure you don't push yourselves too hard, okay? I'm always praying for your safe return!

Let's turn in that quest before moving onto 10F.

Oi there, welcome back. Yeh lot did another bang-up job! Haw! Excellent work as usual. Here's yer reward!

Link Order now does quite a bit more damage, but more importantly, Link Order II got unlocked. It's basically just a version of Link Order that deals damage to every enemy when the target gets hit with an element. It even does the same damage at every level as Link Order.

We're now at the end of the Auburn Thicket. I head right back to town to check up on new dialogue and quests.

Let's start with Dubois.

You, uh... You need any help with that? I know a few osteopaths in town...
Ah, well, if it isn't you all...! Pardon me, I had quite the eventful day yesterday. A new dress for Lady Gradriel was completed, so I was there to see her try it on. Her birthday celebration is almost upon us... On this day, even the common folk can see Lady Gradriel. I'm sure that all are looking forward to the festivities. It is no exaggeration to say Lady Gradriel is a beacon of hope to this country.
I can imagine, given that she's the Duke's only heir.
Her beauty is even recognized by other nations. Many foreign heirs have asked for her hand in marriage. Not only that, but she bears the blood of her honorable father, kind and wise. Truly, she is an inspiration... If you continue to serve High Lagaard, and grow more prominent through your deeds... Perhaps you may meet her one day.
I--erm, we look forward to that day.
...?
Ho ho ho ho! Please, continue your good work in the Labyrinth.

Onto Marion.

Ah... Erm...
Hmhmhm... I'm only joking. I assume you were hoping for some useful information? I've heard that you've reached the tenth floor. You're looking for a way to progress, right? Not many guilds have gotten that far...but they say there's a terrifying monster deep within the 10th floor.
The more terrifying they are, the more exotic their bodies taste.
From what the surviving explorers have told me, the monster has black bobbed hair and horns. ...To be honest, I have no idea what to make of that. Oh, one more thing... It seems the monster is near-impervious to fire. Unfortunately, that's all I know of it... Well, that's all I have to say for now. Try to avoid unnecessary risks.

Next up, Regina.

I grew up in High Lagaard, and I would always watch explorers come and go... I always wondered what it would be like to live however you wanted, going wherever you please and doing what you want...
Well, personally, the only other explorers I've heard of either stay in Lagaard, or are that one guild that ruined Etria by blowing the lid on its governor being a thousand years old, took a few steps into their Yggdrasil's..."body," I think, and then bolted out of town after being attacked by giant blood cells.
H-her point is that not all explorers just come and go. ...Giant blood cells?
Haha, maybe I'm getting a little too sentimental.

Moving onto Abigail.

Hey, listen to this! The other day, I found the cutest earrings! THey were golden, and finely engraved, and they glittered in the light...oh, they were so pretty. But the accessories and jewelry we sell here are pretty, too! And what's more, they're even uesful in the Labyrinth! ...M-Maybe I'm giving you a hard sell here, but they really can be useful. You should definitely get some!
You have a point--function takes precedence over form, after all.

Over to Hanna.

I've been hearing that there's some kind of enormous monster on the 10th floor! ...Some people are saying that I remind them of that monster.
That's a pretty drat rude thing to say ta someone's face.
Why, the nerve of them! Cheeky kids! Or...could it be that the monster looks like a gigantic, beautiful woman? You loves do me a favor, and go see if that monster really is as gorgoue as me! Bahahaha!

And, lastly, Cass.

Explorers are a dime a dozen here, but half of 'em couldn't make it to the 10th. ...Didn't expect yeh to be this good. Hey...hold on a tick. When did the trees start turnin' all red, now?
The sixth floor.
...So the place changed on yeh after five floors. And now yeh're on the 10th. That's five floors above when it turned red... So yeh think the trees are gonna change again after the next floor...?
...Hm. If the strata follow the pattern I think they do... Freyja, Milly, and Asriel are in for a bad time once we leave this floor.
Oi, yeh lot! Hurry and continue yer investigation to see if I'm right!

Only one patron besides Rozsika, again.

Ah, Lumen. Is everything going well? My brother and I are making our way through the second stratum. My brother is deathly afraid of Mr. Sauroposeidon, so when it readies a strike, my brother trembles in fear...poor thing. A charged attack is nothing to scoff at...but it poses no threat if you make the beast flinch with a loud sound. Oh, but don't say a word of it to my brother, hm? The very thought of it is enough to set his knees shaking...

The 10F quests.

Volunteer service II:

Ahhh, that quest, eh? Great! It was actually requested with yeh in mind. This is from that Hospital place yeh helped out before. Guess yeh impressed 'em, with that last piece of work! So about the quest. Might be cause of havin' to deal with that other mess, but they wanna be sure they have medicine to spare. They say an ounce of prevention's worth a pound of cure, eh?
They drill that into our heads at med school.
Anyway, they want yeh to get ingredients from the forest again. Listen up. Yeh'll need to find a Water Bubble. That 2nd Stratum monster...eh... What was their name, Tree Sponge? Yeh can get it by huntin' those. Only need 1, but they said to reward yeh for any extras yeh bring back. Mind yeh, they don't need more than 3. Anyways, if yeh get yer hands on at least one, bring it here. I'll hold on to 'em if yeh drop 'em off. ALright, guys. G'luck!

Tree Sponges are either really easy or nightmarish, depending on your party composition. We'll see them next update.

The perfect gift:

How're things? I was waiting for yeh to take this one... Why? Well, 'cause the client asked for yeh specifically. It's the owner of the Flaus Inn, the place where yeh stay and rest.

Does Cass really need to remind us of the inn's purpose every time he brings it up? Good lord.

Go ask at the inn for all the juicy details. G'luck!

And we'll end the update on Hanna's quest details.

I'm so happy you agreed to help out like this! It makes me want to give you a great big hug! Keep this between us, but Quona's birthday is coming up soon, so we're going to throw a party for her at the bar. This might not be your usual kind of quest, but...could you get her a present? Anything will do! Just as long as you think she'll like it. She's taken a shine to you ever since you started staying here. Remember, though, this is a secret. Thanks a bunch! Bahaha!

Phew. Alright, next time: we take care of both of these quests, and then go through 10F.

Rea fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 26, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So this game kind of reworked how most FOEs operate AI wise. In the past games there wasn't much to them aside from them being really strong and doing specific actions in certain circumstances. Here some of the FOEs follow a pattern or have some sort of specific behavior when they're above 51% HP. In the Attack Cactus's case, it'll use Revenge Needle every 3 turns. But once they fall below 51%, they throw that out the window and just act randomly. Not all FOEs fall under that pattern though, there are a few that will stick to their script until the very end.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can you keep kiting the Attack Cactus through the thorns multiple times if you wanted?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

RareAcumen posted:

Can you keep kiting the Attack Cactus through the thorns multiple times if you wanted?

You can do it as many times as you want, but the Attack Cactus can only be damaged once before it heals, as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

No. If the Attack Cactus somehow manages to walk towards another damage tile, it'll just turn and walk in a different direction. So you can only damage it once.

• Locked thread