Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

FirstPersonShitter posted:

man, I started listening to that 6 hour show, and holy poo poo the start of it. A spike call, then july from Cincinnati calls in to do a weird show and spike calls into her show. She gets mad at him for liking pork, and it's like Tom is running an actual nuthouse.
Around 2009 was when Tom went "Jesus, this show is weird as hell now" at least once per episode. I think this was also around the time that he set up Larry da Perv and Laurie on a radio date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The WFMU shows are just plain better. Most of them are really good as well so you don't need specific recommendations, but if you like Wurster calls you can use this site and go through all of them, or characters you like.
http://newbridgenavigator.pythonanywhere.com/

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don't get emotional about celeb deaths, even when it's someone who meant a lot to me like Bowie did, but there was something about that stupid sound collage that was really kinda moving. Maybe how the vocal isos sounded so raw, or just the different context for all those familiar sounds. Got a little choked up! Good one, Tom.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I still wish the human bass from tremarche would call in again

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If the original Best Show Gems feed is still around, go find the 2008 Newbridge Mayoral debate.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

who the hell calls in to the best show to do friggin korn karaoke.

i also wish the monster magnet guy had told more korn stories.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

GoutPatrol posted:

If the original Best Show Gems feed is still around, go find the 2008 Newbridge Mayoral debate.

That was one of the first things I listened to. It is Incredible.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

BigFactory posted:

I don't get emotional about celeb deaths, even when it's someone who meant a lot to me like Bowie did, but there was something about that stupid sound collage that was really kinda moving. Maybe how the vocal isos sounded so raw, or just the different context for all those familiar sounds. Got a little choked up! Good one, Tom.

It was the best one I've heard.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I saw on twitter that both tom and john hodgman hope that hodgman will be on the show this year, i was a little worried they werent friends anymore or something

edit: here we go https://twitter.com/hodgman/status/688752181118414848

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 18, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
"well I guess I miss these guys the way I miss polio"
"they're better than Skip Bayless though"
"that's like saying shingles is better than rickets"
This is great news.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 20, 2016

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'd go on the mutant cruise. Gethard is my second favorite in-studio guest after JK Just Kiddin' Julie Klausner of future Impractical Jokers fame.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Not sure if I'm a super fan of Dudio's laughter in the background these days.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Mutants On The High Seas sounds rad as gently caress.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I think my favorite part of the idea of Mutants On The High Seas is that it would have a literal Port of Call: Bayonne.

(There is a major cruise ship terminal in Bayonne.)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I work in Bayonne, I ought to swing by Massa's sometime and bug Mike.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i'd go on the mutant cruise but i live in england

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

i'd go on the mutant cruise but i live in england

Same, but I'm in Los Angeles. Come on, Tom! Don't you want to take a cruise to Hawaii instead? That way, no one needs a passport!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I don't miss John Hodgman much. I never really thought he was funny or that great of a guest.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

You can't kiss Papa John before you kiss your wife and kid

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Mike Zaun should have his own RGF thread.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm like massively, massively behind on Best Show, but another thing I was listening to recently either had a Best Show reference or I just assume everything is Best Show-related.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b565yl3xpxufnnj/Jest.mp3?dl=0

So this is a clip from the BBC Wales panel game "Jest a Minute" (from 2009, even) where, unless I completely miss my guess, one of the panelists goes full Wurster for a moment.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Seems like a case of parallel thinking to me. If he was going full Wurster he would've mentioned how they only aired it once.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Really want to see Boogie in the Space Jam remake now. Or maybe Russ Westbrook, he can't be a worse actor than Jordan, plus the clothes and dunks alone would be worth it.

woof, that stretch in the last hour was some prime Depressed Tom

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 17, 2016

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Unless you want to get hung up on as a badge of honor or something, I really do not understand how often people fall for it when they say "Oh I thought you'd hang up on me" or "I just don't want to be hung up on" and then Tom says "What? What did you say? You don't what what to happen?" and then the person repeats themselves and Tom hangs up on them. REALLY? How many times have you listened to the show? Twice? Do you really not know what he's doing?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I'm going to go down to Massa's on Sunday morning and tell Mike he's not allowed to put any more 5 year olds through.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Tom Talks To Kids has been a part of the show since the beginning. Like, one of the weirdest shows of 2001 is when he lets three teenage girl callers guest host. Petey was a big part of the early years and so were various other groups of kids, like the ones he challenged to a fight for all their Christmas presents.

I'll take Tom talking to an overwhelmed 5-year old over a slew of confused adult dudes any day.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 18, 2016

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Illinois Smith posted:

Tom Talks To Kids has been a part of the show since the beginning. Like, one of the weirdest shows of 2001 is when he lets three teenage girl callers guest host. Petey was a big part of the early years and so were various other groups of kids, like the ones he challenged to a fight for all their Christmas presents.

I'll take Tom talking to an overwhelmed 5-year old over a slew of confused adult dudes any day.

I normally don't mind the kids but something about the one that started the show just gave me a headache. That's what I get for listening before I have any caffiene.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I like when Tom talks to kids because you can tell that he enjoys it. Agreed that I would take kid callers over bland dudes calling about topics from 2 weeks ago any day

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
It's better when the kid is intelligible. The kid who asked about Bob's burgers a few weeks ago was good - this one less so.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

The best non-Petey kid call is still Tom & PFT making fun of Milo's D&D campaign. Starts about an hour in, also listen to the preceding Michael K call where nobody quite knows who got trolled at the end for the full experience.
https://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=36187&archive=61434

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I really just want to overhear the conversation that must take place between one of these parents and their kid where the parent has to convince the kid to talk to a stranger over the radio.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Milo was good

Tom: I'm not smart but I'm crafty
Milo: You like to make crafts?
Tom: Yup. If you ever need to find me. I'll be at Michael's.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

whoa
http://twitter.com/scharpling/status/702347771311947778

https://twitter.com/AndyKindler/status/702348211982184448

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
It's still not gonna get him a gig on Bob's Burgers.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
They should have him do all the Harry Shearer voices in that episode just to see if anyone notices

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

lol at the kid calling him mutt

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i'm torn about the best show getting less popular, on one hand fewer weirdo callers is a bummer but on the other hand tom is so great as a bitter underdog

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Hahaha James is back on this week's half hour of power

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

How has Mike been there this long without getting his dad on the phone?

also Slaw Dog > Dudio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Illinois Smith posted:

How has Mike been there this long without getting his dad on the phone?

also Slaw Dog > Dudio

SlawDog made me lose it. At first I thought she said Squaw Dog, which also would have been great.