Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Weirdly enough Six Degrees is my favorite Dream Theater album.

Also, Chroma Key is just as good as anything DT has ever done. They should get Kevin Moore back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 22, 2016

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
In retrospect, 6DoIT is probably the last album where they brought some interesting and legitimately good stuff to the table. Everything after that is rehashed metal or them just spinning their wheels.

I haven't even heard the s/t they put out 2 years ago.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I really liked Scenes from a Memory but nothing else ever stood out for me. Haken fill my prog metal needs anyway

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

It was all downhill after they fired this dude:

i cant help but laugh every time i read this.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 22, 2016

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Chromatic posted:

I seriously can't stop laughing at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3YdzMy593Y

The kid riding the bird :awesomelon:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Omnikin posted:

I really liked Scenes from a Memory but nothing else ever stood out for me. Haken fill my prog metal needs anyway
My friend is madly obsessed with Haken. I listened to them once and they were okay. The thing that gets me is the radical random musical shifts present in prog metal like BTBAM and Native Construct. I just don't like them at all and I feel like they distract me from the parts of the song or album I enjoy.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Trees and Squids posted:

Dream Theater can violently poo poo all over their legacy as much as they want, I&W and SFAM are still two of the best progressive metal albums ever made.

Their legacy of playing very corny music has been forever tarnished

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I have no idea what's supposed to be going on because the voice-over is drowned out by the music, but it sure looks lame as hell.

DT in a nutshell

Completely unrelatedly, Ctheilist just released a track from their impending full-length and it loving rips

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Got VIP tickets for the upcoming Behemoth / Myrkur tour :black101:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Dream Theater blow goats but this was kinda amusing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=510om4YVkOY

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

symbolic posted:

My friend is madly obsessed with Haken. I listened to them once and they were okay. The thing that gets me is the radical random musical shifts present in prog metal like BTBAM and Native Construct. I just don't like them at all and I feel like they distract me from the parts of the song or album I enjoy.

I'm generally very iffy at best about modern DT-esque prog metal (my prog metal tastes tend towards the more extreme metal-influenced stuff, or old school prog, prog/thrash, etc) but drat Haken can write pretty melodies when they feel like it. Atlas Stone in particular has a really lovely riff. Too bad their vocalist is dreadful and they feel the need to remind everyone that they love Gentle Giant by putting in sections that are pretty much exact (and very inferior) replicas of stuff from Octopus.

Since DT got brought up, time for me to insert a little rant:

My main problem with pure prog metal is that the music (at least nowadays) is actually pretty shallow - there's lots of sections which are just slow held chords and lame keyboard noodling, or unsyncopated chug riffs. I think DT, along with Conception and Symphony X, really started it, but there's lots of well-liked prog bands these days like Circus Maximus and Pagan's Mind who play entire albums of chug riffs and manage to con people into thinking that's progressive because of slightly odd time signatures. I'm easy to please but it's really embarrassing that "prog" bands these days have so little polyphony, complexity and melodic depth. I also would lay some blame on Porcupine Tree for the degeneracy of the scene, since them and Riverside made it ok to coast by on ~atmosphere~ and not bother writing riffs or having any of the intensity and drive that makes metal metal. gently caress, even lite-prog like Starcastle has more conviction than some of the lame-rear end prog metal these days.

I do think that Japan still makes some pretty great prog metal, like Alhambra, but the vast majority of the stuff out there is so derivative, lacking in intensity... ugh. It pisses me off, speaking as someone who likes well-done prog metal quite a bit. I think the fanbase is to blame - you have people who grew up on DT and think that their banal and streamlined style is the alpha and omega of prog metal, and they tend to avoid any hint of intensity and harshness (and when they do try to "branch out" they sound like loving nu metal - btw I think that song may be the single worst thing I've heard in my life if you take the lyrics into account). Then they end up making music which is a pale imitation of DT (who weren't very good to begin with imo) and you get the horridly incestuous modern prog metal scene. Native Construct, as incoherent and garish and loving stupid with their literalist approach to concept albums as they are, at least aren't the 30,000'th DT-lite band.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Pagan's Mind did have some pretty good tracks off their second and third album though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7cludyzsAw

I always thought the singer was pretty good tough.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

comes along bort posted:

Oh my god that's one of the worst guitar tones.

Edit: Oh, just got to the vocals. Ok yeah this is pretty funny and kinda cool they did this.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Pagan's Mind have the saving grace of really, really lovely solos (on that album at least, before the guitarist died :rip:). That, and I really love the cheesy "spacy" synth tone. I don't hate them entirely but they are a pretty good example of the very streamlined pseudo-prog that DT paved the way for. My main problem with 'em is that, solos and occasional nice choruses aside, they're way too boring and straightforward - I prefer when such bands recognize that they're basically pop metal with some bells and whistles, and focus on writing good pop choruses rather than extending every song to 7+ minutes.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
As someone who listened to Dream Theater in high school, I feel obligated to listen to The Astonishing at least once when it comes out because it seems like a whole new level of pretentious wankery even for them. Not sure how long it's going to be, but it's stretched out over two disks so I'm going to guess about three hours.

e: The site doesn't have song durations, but it does have this helpful map:

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 13, 2016

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

comes along bort posted:

Anything and everything needs more Barney.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
This thread seems to totally hate the new Abbath material but the whole album is streaming online now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzk0aGTvW64

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

As someone who listened to Dream Theater in high school, I feel obligated to listen to The Astonishing at least once when it comes out because it seems like a whole new level of pretentious wankery even for them. Not sure how long it's going to be, but it's stretched out over two disks so I'm going to guess about three hours.

e: The site doesn't have song durations, but it does have this helpful map:

this wasn't dumb and awful when Xanthochroid did it but when Dream Theater try the same thing it's remarkably bad

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Vulture Culture posted:

this wasn't dumb and awful when Xanthochroid did it but when Dream Theater try the same thing it's remarkably bad

The intrepid prog hero, no doubt.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
will he be voiced by nolan north?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Chromatic posted:

In retrospect, 6DoIT is probably the last album where they brought some interesting and legitimately good stuff to the table. Everything after that is rehashed metal or them just spinning their wheels.

I haven't even heard the s/t they put out 2 years ago.

I quite liked most of Train of Thought and Octavarium, but after that I completely lost interest.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Defiant Sally posted:

This thread seems to totally hate the new Abbath material but the whole album is streaming online now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzk0aGTvW64

The thread is wrong and the new Abbath is killer. :colbert:

I almost don't want to listen to it since I'm still waiting for the physical media I ordered to arrive so I can wear my Abbath wristband while listening to the vinyl, CD, and stream at the same time.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Baroness - Purple download code, if you're into that

Enjoy :)

Stelio Kontos fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 14, 2016

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Can't quite make it out, can you post a higher resolution version?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Man, I had no idea how much I needed Enforcer in my life.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Chromatic posted:

Weirdly enough Six Degrees is my favorite Dream Theater album.

Also, Chroma Key is just as good as anything DT has ever done. They should get Kevin Moore back.
Chroma Key was fantastic, but clearly Kevin Moore will never rejoin DT. It's too bad that OSI kinda fall off, the first album was really good

Also that DT trailer is incredibly funny

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I&W is one of my favourite albums of all time but I just can't get into any other DT stuff. I have every other album and tried listening to all of them hoping to get that same enjoyment from them but I just haven't.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Nvm

Stelio Kontos fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 14, 2016

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Blue Wher posted:

So I found out about this Christian Alvestam side project the other day, which sounds a lot like a blackened version of 90s In Flames.

Well, he could have chosen a nerdier band name, but that would have been hard.
Svavelvinter is the name of a D&D (Drakar och Demoner) campaign (well, the first module) from the 90s. Where the campaign gained such fame, that the author 20 years later have written a fantasy series based on it.
But hey, it works for Amon Amarth.....

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Cardiac posted:

Svavelvinter is the name of a D&D (Drakar och Demoner) campaign (well, the first module) from the 90s. Where the campaign gained such fame, that the author 20 years later have written a fantasy series based on it.
Clearly you are unaware that Burzum's Det som engang var cover is the art from D&D's Temple of Elemental Evil :)

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

skasion posted:

Ctheilist just released a track from their impending full-length and it loving rips

This is really good

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dream Theater loving sucks.

I automatically assume this:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish Petrucci/Myung/Rudess would jump into their own awesome project but I guess DT are all good friends and have fun together so I'm glad they're still getting paid for that.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Speaking of that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9AvCdRJmoI

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Vintersorg posted:

Dream Theater loving sucks.

I automatically assume this:

They're the musical embodiment of the male ponytail.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Those are some kickass glasses though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

Those are some kickass glasses though.
The two biggest Dream Theater fans I know both wear those glasses

I'd definitely replace the flame shirt with a Doctor Who t-shirt though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Amon Amarth are just following the precedent of all the older bands named after lord of the rings crap.