Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

mdemone posted:

Can you play with/against bots in any of the game modes? For some reason I haven't been able to find this info (probably because the answer is "no you retard").

There are bots but only for one mode which is like a modified TDM. It is not good though.

Offline options are very limited with this game. If you do not desire to play online multiplayer then this is very much not the right game for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mdemone posted:

This leads me to the question I've dreaded to ask in here.

I have no friends, and I don't really like playing with people online because especially in this type of game, I want to take it more casual and just have fun instead of being hyper-focused on team goals and competitive play.

Can you play with/against bots in any of the game modes? For some reason I haven't been able to find this info (probably because the answer is "no you retard").

Yeah, there are challenge modes and stuff available you can do on your own, but they're not very interesting. The AI is completely brain-dead, and you don't get any of the kinetic action you get out of a live match.

There's maybe enough single-player stuff to keep you interested for an afternoon or two.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

I have no friends, and I don't really like playing with people online because especially in this type of game, I want to take it more casual and just have fun instead of being hyper-focused on team goals and competitive play.

Or don't worry about what random people think and just have fun playing online. If you suck and don't help your team at all it's not a big deal that's the nature of playing large online shooters. If someone gets that upset over you not trying hard enough then they really ought to be doing something else instead of being incensed over pubbies.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

mdemone posted:

Playing online might as well be with bots, most people are 90% braindead. Just play online and you will be fine, there isn't any SERIOUS COMPETITION stuff going on.

You can play in bot only modes offline but it limits you to like 20% of the game content.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
The single-player "bots" in this are like a prototype to a different Star Wars shooter. Bots don't even remotely play by the same rules as players and have lots of custom animation and chatter and the modes are structured entirely differently to anything in the multiplayer. Even the levels are laid out completely differently (and usually a lot more flat/barren/tiny).

The upside is that, as Captain Beans says, playing MP is pretty close to what bots would be like. Pretty much the only reason I'll defend this game as a fun casual shooter is that it genuinely feels like a casual good time when going PVP, definitely more than any tryhard competitive MP game I've seen in recent years. Like, coming at this game as a DIRTY CASUAL SCUMFILTH that prefers bots and generally hates the PVP atmosphere, I still feel like I'm able to just sit down and enjoy goofy action shooty fun without worrying about the fluff depth and impenetrable bullshit meta of the usual modern MP FPS.

It's pretty good for lone wolf(ugh)/casual co-op scrubs like me and seems to be pure poison for anyone other than that, which unfortunately means that, while the console versions will have some life in them for a while, :pcgaming: is probably hosed long-term.

Also, despite enjoying it for what it is and having a chuckle at :qq:shallow casual scum ea killed my baby:qq:, there's no doubt that it's still overpriced, has a suuuuper cynical business model, has way too little content (mainly maps), and isn't getting the support it needs to keep balance issues from slowly killing the enjoyment factor. I used to love Fighter Squadron, for instance, but now it's pure :geno: because A-wings are still impossibly overpowered and there's basically nothing to circumvent that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

Or don't worry about what random people think and just have fun playing online. If you suck and don't help your team at all it's not a big deal that's the nature of playing large online shooters. If someone gets that upset over you not trying hard enough then they really ought to be doing something else instead of being incensed over pubbies.

Moreover this game is very accessible and easy to have fun and do well with even if you're bad at shooters. It's not hard to get kills when you can grab an orbital strike or a hero powerup or whatever.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Weird. The Win 3 Droid Run Matches challenge seems to register losses as wins and wins as losses. Go figure.

EDIT: Or it did for a moment. Ah, glitchypoo.

EDIT AGAIN: So what's the deal with Droid Run where the time flashes 00:00 for a while at the end of a match, letting the game continue for a while?

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 14, 2016

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Those were all very useful responses, thanks everyone.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Evil Canadian posted:

I am someone fairly newer to the game, is there a site/list/jpg or something that lists the true damage values of weapons?

I keep switching around but nothing feels as trustworthy as the e-11 but I would like to know how it all works under the hood.

The E-11 is a fantastic weapon to use throughout the game. It has high damage and fire rate. If you want to switch it up, I recommend the se-14c. It is the 5 round burst pistol. Paired with explosive shot, it is one of the most versatile weapons in the game.

The pistol is useful on small and large maps when you get the hang of it. Each shot does 20 damage max so you only need to hit one burst to drop someone when you are close. At longer ranges, just hit explosive rounds or head shots and you will win every fight. It is my favorite weapon in the game next to the bowcaster.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Some guy's tutorial for the correct way to use the personal shield. I think he's onto something.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There is an article on the official Battlefront page where the devs give tips about the game. One of the designers directly mentions jump pack+bowcaster combo so that's that for people who hoped it would go away, they want it to be broken.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

MorsAnima posted:

More people should use Ion torp.

Good lord this. It blows my mind how often I'm the only rebel with ion shot and ion torp in walker assault, and when the walker is vulnerable everyone just stares up uselessly plinking with blasters while the imperials just stroll around casually killing them as they gawk at the sky. The handful of times I've been on a team with at least five or six guys with torps, the walkers melted by the second round every time.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

mdemone posted:

I generally don't like online shooters either. Mostly because I spend my time getting pissed off and impatient with my own rate of improvement, and give up before I get good. The thing I really like about battlefront is that everybody dies a lot, and even if you kind of suck you can still be an effective cog in the machine. I was terrible at first, but you can still be useful to team objectives just by holding up the other team at a choke point while firing in the right general direction and chucking grenades. The game is very casual, and I've never once had a teammate run around punching the back of my head because I wasn't playing up to standards. I hate COD and Halo and whatnot, but even with the limited content I'm enjoying the gently caress out of Battlefront. Mostly because it feels like being a kid again and running around the neighborhood with your friends playing Star Wars, and without any arguing over who shot who first.

*I'm saying that about the PS4 version. I hear people talking about the shrinking player base, but on PSN I have no problem finding matches on weekdays at 3AM.

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

Wasn't sneaking. Stupid fat hobbits.

Frankenstyle posted:

I'm enjoying the gently caress out of Battlefront. Mostly because it feels like being a kid again and running around the neighborhood with your friends playing Star Wars

loving THANK YOU. I couldn't figure out how to say it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Steve Vader posted:

EDIT AGAIN: So what's the deal with Droid Run where the time flashes 00:00 for a while at the end of a match, letting the game continue for a while?

If there's a droid cap in progress, it'll wait until it's done. It's basically gimme time in case you were on the verge of winning but the timer finished.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

quote:

“If you have a power up you do not want, you can hit Interact (E, X, Square) in front of a power up to change it for a new one.”

Wow I've been playing since beta and I never knew that

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ginette Reno posted:

Wow I've been playing since beta and I never knew that

Same. Holy poo poo.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I knew that because I saw it somewhere else.

But judging from the number of turrets I see deployed next to power-up spawns, many other people don't know about it :v:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Hello Spaceman posted:

I knew that because I saw it somewhere else.

But judging from the number of turrets I see deployed next to power-up spawns, many other people don't know about it :v:

Pretty sure "swapping" it does not put the old token back on the ground; may as well drop the turret down instead of just ditching it. Real nice if you're grabbing a vehicle too since turrets die when you do - being in a vehicle can keep you and the turret alive a lot longer.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

teh_Broseph posted:

Pretty sure "swapping" it does not put the old token back on the ground; may as well drop the turret down instead of just ditching it. Real nice if you're grabbing a vehicle too since turrets die when you do - being in a vehicle can keep you and the turret alive a lot longer.

On the other hand this will stop me from dropping the blaster tripods in the dumbest of places just because I don't want them.

Although you can cleverly use them to be an rear end in a top hat and clog up choke points by blocking off corridors with them.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Haha nice. I should get that Duros skin seeing as I have 60k+ credits lying around.

Palpek posted:

There is an article on the official Battlefront page where the devs give tips about the game. One of the designers directly mentions jump pack+bowcaster combo so that's that for people who hoped it would go away, they want it to be broken.

Good! I never see them out in the wild anyway, and as another testament to how much I play this game, I recently completed all 60 of the basic challenges last Sunday. So I would say "broken" is a subjective term.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Any PS4 goons still playing this? None of my friends have this game and I don't wanna add a bunch of goons from the list in the OP if none of them are playing.

So add me please : FFemerson

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Any PS4 goons still playing this? None of my friends have this game and I don't wanna add a bunch of goons from the list in the OP if none of them are playing.

Done. If you ever see me in a party full of folks playing Battlefront feel free to join in since I pretty much play with goons exclusively. All my IRL friends got it for XBone. :argh:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The thing is the console is the focus and on ps4 the bowcaster jump thing is so much harder to pull off so it's just a fun thing not a game breaker.

This kind of game needs subtle tweaks between systems and theres not a game that does it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Ill add you :D

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
I'm also on PS4 and would like to think I can really wreck poo poo when I'm working alongside players that actually care.

Gamertag: YetiMachete85

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

So any tips and tricks? I've only been playing for a few days. When I started it was horrible. I would end a match with like 4 kills and 24 deaths. I felt like I would shoot a guy in the back ten times only to have him turn around and kill me in two shots. But since then I think I learned a few tricks that have really helped. I always aiming with L2 and then shooting, but I read shooting from the hip is just as accurate. And two, I'll let my crosshairs basically "lock on" to the target before I even start shooting, and it seems to follow them more.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So any tips and tricks? I've only been playing for a few days. When I started it was horrible. I would end a match with like 4 kills and 24 deaths. I felt like I would shoot a guy in the back ten times only to have him turn around and kill me in two shots. But since then I think I learned a few tricks that have really helped. I always aiming with L2 and then shooting, but I read shooting from the hip is just as accurate. And two, I'll let my crosshairs basically "lock on" to the target before I even start shooting, and it seems to follow them more.

Play in 3rd person if you aren't already

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I know one trick is to "look" around corners in 3rd person where your body cant be seen but the perspective is enough that you can see whats around a corner. I use this a lot on Hoth.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Yeah I also learned to played in 3rd person too. I still think the hit detection in this game sucks tho.

There's still times I'll see people with 50 kills and like 5 deaths. What the poo poo?

Also it seems like whenever I unload on someone and they end of killing me in one shot it's almost always the DL44. Is that gun just stupid overpowered?

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 14, 2016

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
People with stupid high KD's are either

A) in vehicles
B) using a hero
C) judicious use of scan pulse or just know the map really well.

Regarding the DL-44 it can't OHK from full health, but it is a two-shot. It's not that OP since it's garbage at range.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

People with stupid high KD's are either

A) in vehicles
B) using a hero
C) judicious use of scan pulse or just know the map really well.

Regarding the DL-44 it can't OHK from full health, but it is a two-shot. It's not that OP since it's garbage at range.
Or using an aimbot. Looking at you prick who shot me in the head from across the map with a pistol.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Rick Sanchez posted:

Play in 3rd person if you aren't already

My hat's off to the people who can play this game in 3rd person, but it throws me off way too much to be useful.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I found the extra FOV to be useful, but it's really frustrating when you're playing peek and poke and end up shooting the rock you're hiding behind

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

I found the extra FOV to be useful, but it's really frustrating when you're playing peek and poke and end up shooting the rock you're hiding behind

On the contrary, I'd say about 75-80% of my pulse rifle shots end up hitting the rock I'm right next to, and I'm aiming down sights for that.

I know you're supposed to tell by seeing how faint the cross-hairs are, but dang if it isn't too faint to tell most of the time.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Casimir Radon posted:

Or using an aimbot. Looking at you prick who shot me in the head from across the map with a pistol.

Or jumpcasting with the bountyhunter perk

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Feel free to add me on PS4 as well. Never hurts to have more goons to play with.

Psn: Hamburlgar

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I added you, I still don't have working mic yet though.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

An other tip is spawn on your partner whenever you can. The spawning system can put you a good distance away from your current objective, not to mention give you a better chance as other players tend to move in clumps. I tend to prefer First person over third, but I see the benefits of it

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I'm still playing. PSN is Baronash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Nobody here is XBonin' it?

• Locked thread