Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Homestar Runner posted:

I am shocked and appalled :aaaaa:

bitch dont know about otto graham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Intruder posted:

Celtics and Lakers both for sure over the Cardinals, Spurs not so much

Also the Steelers

e: nvm not the Steelers

but lol even in baseball the Giants have more total championships than the Cardinals

I guess I just think of the spurs because they have been good literally my entire life. Hell doesn't Timmy have like 350 playoff wins or something ridiculous.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Ramadu posted:

I guess I just think of the spurs because they have been good literally my entire life. Hell doesn't Timmy have like 350 playoff wins or something ridiculous.

The Spurs have been good consistently for the last like 18 years yeah and this stretch is probably the most dominant stretch for any non Celtics team

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
If you ever won a title you cannot be the loseriest franchise ever

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Browns deserve special mention because the team that used to be the Browns has won two Superbowls since leaving

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ross Angeles posted:

If you ever won a title you cannot be the loseriest franchise ever

I know you weren't talking about the Cubs but if it's been literally 100+ years since you won a title this rule shouldn't apply anymore.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Homestar Runner posted:

what is the most loseriest active franchise, is it the Browns?

Historically Cardinals in the NFL, even though they're good now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ramadu posted:

The Spurs are the best "modern" NBA franchise. They only managed to beat the Lakers when they were good once, and the Lakers beat them a lot of times when the Spurs were in their prime on the way to their tiles, and I'll always have that to hold over Bashez, but the Spurs have just kept winning without any drop off so even I can't deny him "best team of the last 20 years."

Celtics had 3-4 good years over the past 10 years, but the Cavs and Heat have had similar runs and were arguably better.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Rick posted:

The Spurs are the best "modern" NBA franchise. They only managed to beat the Lakers when they were good once, and the Lakers beat them a lot of times when the Spurs were in their prime on the way to their tiles, and I'll always have that to hold over Bashez, but the Spurs have just kept winning without any drop off so even I can't deny him "best team of the last 20 years."

Celtics had 3-4 good years over the past 10 years, but the Cavs and Heat have had similar runs and were arguably better.

If it's over the last 20 years then it's still the Lakers. :smug:

e: I can't wait to see all the Kobe jerseys at the LA Rams and Chargers games!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Apparently Rams psls were transferable from Busch stadium to the dome and contract language says they are valid for all future seasons of the team so there's a case to be made that the current holders still get dibs on seats in LA and would be able to sell them on the open market (or keep them and buy tickets they intend to resell)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Qwijib0 posted:

Apparently Rams psls were transferable from Busch stadium to the dome and contract language says they are valid for all future seasons of the team so there's a case to be made that the current holders still get dibs on seats in LA and would be able to sell them on the open market (or keep them and buy tickets they intend to resell)
Rams psl holders rejoice, you might've just won Powerbal

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Volkerball posted:

it's probably the cubs depending on the metric.

You can just lock them in as the most loseriest ever if they don't win with that roster.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Qwijib0 posted:

It would be hilarious if all the rams ticket holders hosed the Rams out of having people attend their games and the stadiums just looked empty

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ramadu posted:

It would be hilarious if all the rams ticket holders hosed the Rams out of having people attend their games and the stadiums just looked empty

:pray:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I cannot tell the difference between the throwback LA Rams uniforms and the Delaware Blue Hens uniforms.

Its like Iowa/Steelers for me

It's because the head coach at Iowa in the late 70s called the Rooneys and asked permission to use the Steelers color scheme, saying that if his team wanted to be winners, they should dress like them. know your steelers history, mang

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

kiimo posted:

Robert Edwards sheds a cautionary tear.

I love you for this post.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Can someone do a big effort post for a meet your team for the Rams. I know basically no one besides Gurley and Donald

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Can someone do a big effort post for a meet your team for the Rams. I know basically no one besides Gurley and Donald

That's pretty much it

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Ross Angeles posted:

the Cardinals aren't the second most successful franchise in US pro sports you giant homer

in my defense I forgot about the NBA in my rage, whoops. AMEND THAT.

overall point stands, the Rams blew on a historic scale for over a decade while the Cardinals were down the street having probably their most successful run ever while already owning the town so yeah, shockingly, attendance declined.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

old dog child posted:

That's pretty much it

ahem

https://twitter.com/JOEL9ONE/status/687492236859326468

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

old dog child posted:

That's pretty much it

Nah, the DL as a unit is pretty legit, although Nick Fairley apparently disappointed.

The Rams are perpetually "oh poo poo they should be really good next year if x happens", then whatever it is that should happen never does. They have no QB which is the biggest problem, they do have Jeff Fisher which is probably the second biggest problem.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Oh I never payed much attention to them and couldn't name any players without googling the roster. I guess I get to see everybody now though!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What happened to Steadman Bailey and Tavon Austin?

Edit: and Tre Mason

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Steadman Bailey got shot in the head but he's ok.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

And nothing happened to Tre Mason, except that Todd Gurley showed up.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

kiimo posted:

What happened to Steadman Bailey and Tavon Austin?

Edit: and Tre Mason

Volkerball posted:

Steadman Bailey got shot in the head but he's ok.

and Nick Foles and Gurley for the other two guys

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Nick Foles rules*.

*I haven't watched him play more than one game since college.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Nick Foles was garbage from the trash can and should never begin another season as a starter.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
They also have James Laurinaitis! Remember that guy?

And, currently, they have the Seahawks in their back pocket. :(

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Criminal Minded posted:

overall point stands, the Rams blew on a historic scale for over a decade while the Cardinals were down the street having probably their most successful run ever while already owning the town so yeah, shockingly, attendance declined.

The Football Cardinals were historically bad and still wanted a fancy new stadium when they left, the StL Rams had a losing record in 17 of 21 seasons (15 total wins in 5 years!) but still sold out most of them and got offered a sweet publicly-subsidized stadium in the middle of downtown, obviously St. Louis is a baseball town that doesn't support the NFL. :rolleyes:

Edit: The good news is the NFL will suddenly remember what a great football town St. Louis is as soon as another city needs bullying into a new stadium subsidy.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 14, 2016

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

My dad's good friend and business partner of 20 years has 2nd row endzone PSL's that he purchased as soon they went on sale back in the early 90's when STL sold them and he's held them ever since. He is eagerly awaiting news on the PSL front as he potentially has a jackpot on his hands via reselling.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Case Keenum is the Rams current starting QB.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Criminal Minded posted:

Also writing on the wall post-Kroenke buying the land in LA

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I know I'm supposed to hate Kroenke but he is businessing circles around other businessers. He's making them look like total chumps at this point and an insider was just on the radio saying the way this is going is increasingly that Kroenke will own the LA market alone and the Chargers and Raiders will use their 100m to stay in their towns.

Neither team apparently wants to be the lamprey to Kroenke.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
The only way Kroenke doesn't own LA is if the Raiders come. I just don't see how or why anyone here without a team would voluntarily choose the Chargers over the Rams as their team of choice.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

chupacabraTERROR posted:

The only way Kroenke doesn't own LA is if the Raiders come. I just don't see how or why anyone here without a team would voluntarily choose the Chargers over the Rams as their team of choice.

This is why the Raiders moving to LA would be funny as gently caress. The Ghost of Al's amazing marketing coming back to haunt Kroenke.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I don't know that what's happening is a function of Kroenke's business acumen as it is a function of him marrying into American royalty. He's basically the most attractive option because he'll throw the most money into the deal. although I guess marrying into the Waltons was a pretty good business decision by itself.

Really on paper this is a tremendously terrible business move by Kroenke. He's putting forth a loving lot of money, like a loving LOT, into this Inglewood thing and it's pretty much a guarantee that he won't see his money back in his lifetime. I think I read last night he was putting 1.3 billion into this project.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kroenke is making basically a 3 billion gamble when you include the stadium, land and relocation fees. He's the only owner of the 3 who can do that, considering he and his wife are worth 13 billion or whatever. It's a huge gamble because you are relying on LA to embrace the team who won't play in a new stadium for three years. Also in a time of decreasing PSLs from businesses you can't really count on that corporate sponsorship. Consider the lack of sales for Atlanta's stadium.

So Kroenke is one of the only owners who can actually afford to take this gamble, the Chargers and Raiders are forced to saddle up to the big fish now that Carson is dead. So what's the point? Does anybody think Spanos or Davis truly believes that a partnership with Kroenke is a benevolent deal?

NO chance on that. The NFL is saying hey you need to offer them partnership for the next two years. I forsee that offer getting worse and worse with each passing day as Kroenke figures out ways to exploit it. He just ponied up all the cash to take the risk. He is probably thinking he is entitled to all the revenue and he is right.

The risk of this thing failing increases with a second team considering Los Angeles' climate regarding football. What possible benefits would having the Chargers or Raiders share the stadium that he built on the land that he bought be? He doesn't need their cash and their presence decreases the odds of success.

I'm convinced the Chargers would be stupid to move and the Raiders will get forced out. Just my limited opinion based on talk radio today.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Sharzak posted:

I don't know that what's happening is a function of Kroenke's business acumen as it is a function of him marrying into American royalty. He's basically the most attractive option because he'll throw the most money into the deal. although I guess marrying into the Waltons was a pretty good business decision by itself.

Really on paper this is a tremendously terrible business move by Kroenke. He's putting forth a loving lot of money, like a loving LOT, into this Inglewood thing and it's pretty much a guarantee that he won't see his money back in his lifetime. I think I read last night he was putting 1.3 billion into this project.

That's how real estate investments work though? He could completely cash out if he sold the land and the team though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Because they might actually have a quarterback for a couple years, and they have a cooler song.

• Locked thread