Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Whoa, those sure were episodes. I almost feel like I'm going to need to rewatch this all immediately after the simulwatch.

I always think this but by the end I'm too emotionally exhausted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

a kitten posted:

Man, both those episodes were amazing. It kinda sucks that the picture quality on this disc is noticeably crappier for some reason. Maybe I'll dl those blurays after all.

the original negative for episode 16 was lost. they had to source it from a 35mm blowup interpositive which was at 1080 and then downscaled to 480 for the dvd. the bd transfer for this episode uses an upscale of *that* 480 downscale, so it actually looks worse http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/141517

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 14, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

the original negative for episode 16 was lost. they had to source it from a 35mm blowup interpositive which was at 1080 and then downscaled to 480 for the dvd. the bd transfer for this episode uses an upscale of *that* 480 downscale, so it actually looks worse http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/141517

Oh wow, that's crazy, and yeah it was actually just 16 now that i think about it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Radio Spiricom posted:

oh I was wondering why it looked so much worse than 15. Thanks

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Radio Spiricom posted:

The other bd editor dude just threw on a large layer of grain to cover it

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

.jpg posted:

"We know the state of your wallet" *orders shark fin*

Forgot this happened back there, but Asuka managed to get everyone involved to Neko Ramen on the first try.
That's kind of an unintentional inter-series 0wn on Watashi, what the hell man. :pwn:

lets hang out posted:

wanna see how that date would go

I too wish to die from second-hand embarrassment.

Dangerous Person posted:

I can never think of anything to say in this thread but I've been enjoying this show immensely. Episode 16 was certainly a lot to take in.

You know how to mash the post button, so you are doing it right. :patriot:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Less than two seconds of Marriage of Figaro for the wedding scene, nice.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
And like ten seconds for Bach's Cello Suite no. 1, nice.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Does everyone have a parent complex in this show

Ooh, instrumental Fly Me to the Moon.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Huh, that episode ending is pretty sudden.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Strange Quark posted:

Does everyone have a parent complex in this show

One of EVA's fairly obvious theme's is 'parents gently caress up their kids' so, yeah.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The songs on the official EVA soundtracks, as well as some episodes themselves, have names like "Pleasure principle" and " Mother is the First Other". The Oedipal and Freudian stuff is pretty blatant.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Speaking of the OST, I really like the big, bombastic orchestral stuff. It brings a lot of oomph to the big scenes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Episode 15 sort of feels like something out of a different show with its almost total focus in character drama, other than the conspiracy stuff at the start and end.
In fact I always forget it's an episode on its own and think those scenes are part of the down time in other episodes.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

The rows of grave markers is one of my favourite images in the series.

Yeah, a friendly reminder that this is a post-apocalyptic series about trying to prevent the post-post-apocalypse. Man, this world is hosed... Lots of Gendo eyes in this scene too.

"Welp, that was a nice family bonding session. I'm off to ride bikes planes with that girl that makes you feel all weird. I'm sure you'll be fine on your own, so have fun on your walk back to base!"
*backflips out of scene*

Command Ant posted:

16 is a really big episode, but it should be mentioned how much character development was in episode 15.

Not to mention how heartbreaking it was.

"He smells like lavender..."

I kept having to redo my screenshots because there's so much subtle facial animation in this thing. When I'm more than a couple of frames off, the moments I'm trying to grab are already gone and I have to start over.

Lovely composition in the cut too. Owned by perfume. :smith:

Strange Quark posted:

Less than two seconds of Marriage of Figaro for the wedding scene, nice.

Everyone involved from the main characters and the viewers to the episode staff is all GET ON WITH IT, so they can get to the drinking part of the wedding and it's great. :mmmhmm:

Bodylanguage.jpg

Also, when temporarily free from the oversight of the NERV Director of Operations, both Kaji and Ritsuko decide that any world changing death-defying espionage operations will have to wait until after they are done gossiping about Misato's lovely love life. :unsmith:

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Whoa, those sure were episodes. I almost feel like I'm going to need to rewatch this all immediately after the simulwatch.

I'm already watching them twice for this simulwatch due to obsessive screengrabbing, but all the posts here want to make me do it again. :(

Here's Shinji having a very stimulating conversation with Asuka's socks.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Jostiband posted:

lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The detail about there being no bodies under those graves makes it extra :gonk: too. Also deliberately evocative of WW1/2 mass memorial graves.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

This is getting dark guys :ohdear:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Agronox posted:

This is getting dark guys :ohdear:

:ohdearsass:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah.... That's gonna happen.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

As long as these v. powerful birds are around all is right with the world.

^ me watching eva

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Reading this thread has made me want to join in early, you all just watched 15/16 about 6 hours ago right? Next session is in two days?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, 15/16 was last night 17/18 is Friday night.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, 15/16 was last night 17/18 is Friday night.

Not for meee~ but thanks, I'll be there! :)

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

e:fb

Knorth posted:

Reading this thread has made me want to join in early, you all just watched 15/16 about 6 hours ago right? Next session is in two days?

Friday 8 est, I think. I'm bad at converting timezones.
Don't let that stop you from quoting and discussing stuff from way back in the thread though, since that's how I've been catching up. :v:
:justpost:

doubledit:

Jostiband posted:

Lovely composition in the cut too. Owned by perfume. :smith:

someone gif this cut, its great tia

Jostiband fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 14, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Having a girl force a kiss on you, have it last for about a minute straight and then proceed to wash her mouth out to get the taste off has gotta be a real wringer on a young teenage boys psyche. It might even be worse than that time he got set on fire.

Something that's always kinda confused me about episode 16 is how everyone is freaked out about :black101: unit 01, because is it really that much worse than when it went berserk against sachiel? Asuka sure because she wasn't there for that, but everyone else?

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 14, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It think it's more the magnitude of what it's done, basically ripping itself out of an alternate dimension that can only be explained via crazy maths. Also in episode 2 it was mostly being watched on monitors versus Ritsuko witnessing it directly. And there was a lot more blood this time.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

It had also been without power for a very long time by that point.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Sakurazuka posted:

And there was a lot more blood this time.

By volume, I think it was the bloodiest anime episode ever made.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think one of the later episodes maybe beats it Zeruel

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The angel in episode 16 is probably my favorite in the whole series. Everything about it is just so weird and I love it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Droyer posted:

The angel in episode 16 is probably my favorite in the whole series. Everything about it is just so weird and I love it.

lol I was just going to post the exact same thing. All the others are mostly identifiable as living things but it's just so alien and bizarre.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I think one of the later episodes maybe beats it Zeruel

That one is a lot more easygoing on the imagery, but I think that may be a subjective thing.
Everything about this thing is just the height of :stonklol:

In some fields Nerv is a very thorough organization.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

It had also been without power for a very long time by that point.

Yeah that's a big part of it too. Obviously there had been plenty of obvious hints prior to this that the Evas are more than just mere machines, but that completely breaks a rule that had been previously ironclad.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Sakurazuka posted:

It think it's more the magnitude of what it's done, basically ripping itself out of an alternate dimension that can only be explained via crazy maths. Also in episode 2 it was mostly being watched on monitors versus Ritsuko witnessing it directly. And there was a lot more blood this time.

And then there's how Shinji always looks after it happens- every time it has, he never, ever looks as if he's coming down from some berserker rage; he's either unconscious like this episode, or just looks somewhat bemused. So what's happening there? Does he go into a fugue state, or what?

Anyhow, this angel might be my favorite out of them all, even the octahedron one. I've said it before, but one thing Anno has always totally nailed is the mystery of the divine, as painting the force that brought about second impact and is now attacking(?) Earth as an actually vast, incomprehensible entity who we really have no ability to even try to grasp. It's the same sense of ineffability that can be found in the Old Testament, and the way they treated God and the beings that served Him- as less like our caring loving father in Heaven, and more like... well.... Cthulu. Well, maybe not that far, but as a vast force that can't be understood, but only appeased so that the thunder and lightning don't come down.

It's a lot of that same feeling of "We don't know nearly as much about this stuff as we pretend, but it's our only way to escape death" that informs the reaction to Eva-01's little episodes- ie. stark horror. Dr. Ritsuko, for example, is meant to be pretty much the brains of the show; she's the genius progeny of a genius mother, and knows pretty much everything about everything (The Magi system, the Evas, etc.), which is a lot more than she's telling. So the fact that she reacts to Eva-01 going into Hulk Smash mode with just as much (maybe more) pants-making GBS threads terror is very telling: she isn't just horrified at what 01 has done or can do, even though it's won the day so far; it's the fact that she has no idea what's going on there or how to stop it that makes her so scared. This all just reinforced the theme of ineffability I keep coming back to, as well as the theme of trembling before a mighty power: even those who pretend to know what's going on don't really know whats going on. And in one very particular instance, doesn't care.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

You have endangered the future of the entire human race. Please pay this $100k fine as recompense.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

After you are shot dead.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

In some out of the way area of the pyramid there are a bunch of imprisoned corpses that owe Nerv a lot of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jostiband posted:

Goddamn you half-Japanese girls
Do it to me every time
Oh, the redhead said you shred the cello
And I'm jello, baby

https://youtu.be/okthJIVbi6g

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 14, 2016

• Locked thread