Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

WE'RE GETTING ZERO MISSION FINALLY

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/metroid-zero-mission-wii-u

nintendo reads my posts and only mine

THANK YOU

Finally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

minusX posted:

My birthday was Monday this information does nothing for me :(

Happy birthday

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I ended up buying a physical Zero Mission cart.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fremry posted:

But it doesn't fit on the Wii U :confused:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The full story of Samus Aran's first mission finally unfolds. Emphasis on finally. It's time to ballspark bitches!!

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
My launch DS Lite still plays GBA games without any trouble. :v:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

The full story of Samus Aran's first mission finally unfolds. Emphasis on finally. It's time to ballspark bitches!!

That one missile expansion in the starting zone by the charge beam worm which requires a ball spark drove me insane many years ago.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Fremry posted:

I have a cart but the only thing I have to play it on is a first gen SP so it's super small and muddy. Playing Circle of the Moon on Wii U was awesome because it was bright and crisp so I really got to see a lot of details I never noticed before, hopefully Zero Mission is the same way.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

wow, finally

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

minusX posted:

My birthday was Monday this information does nothing for me :(

I believe it covers the entire birthday month.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

3DS wouldn't emulate GBA games at an acceptable level for Nintendo. Even the ambassador games are spotty. New 3DS probably could do it just fine, but I doubt Nintendo would want to segregate e-shops for that.
I can't imagine they'd be any worse than they were on the DS/Lite, where the only real problem was that they didn't go dormant when the system was closed.

Also there's no excuse for not being able to play digital DS games on a system that literally can play DS games by default.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
By all accounts they were very shoestring and a hard cough away from falling over. The virtual DS thing is kinda weird though, especially with digital 3DS games.

Best guess I can manage is they don't have a Home button, so you would have to turn the console off to get out of the game and Nintendo doesnt like that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Year 4 (and ongoing) renewals for Nintendo Force Magazine are live.

This year they're going through Patreon instead of Kickstarter, which I guess is the new hotness that all the cool crowdfunders are using? I've only ever pledged to one Patreon before and that was because I knew the guy in real life and wanted to chip him a few bucks. I'm disappointed to lose the "one and done" nature of backing a Kickstarter, but as long as the magazine stays good, I'm not too bothered.

For anyone who doesn't know what Nintendo Force is, shortly after Nintendo Power stopped publishing, these guys got together and decided to make a Nintendo magazine to take its place. They publish bi-monthly (like the early days of Nintendo Power, funnily enough) and each issue runs around 85 pages or so. There's way too many people on their content staff to name, but one of the highlights is Matthew Taranto (author and artist of Brawl in the Family) does little comics for each issue. As of year 3, each issue comes with a double sided poster as well; usually one side has some manner of official game art and the reverse is a piece from one of their own artists. Occasionally there are other pack-ins, ranging from a second poster to a papercraft Cube Mario.

As for the actual content itself, they have the standard slate of previews and reviews of games, retro reviews and throwback pieces to Nintendo History, interviews with indie devs, and some manner of themed feature article (this month's, for example, was about delayed games).

And yes, for those who don't care about dead tree magazines, they do offer a digital-only subscription.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 14, 2016

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

But it doesn't fit on the Wii U :confused:

robot roll call posted:

I have a cart but the only thing I have to play it on is a first gen SP so it's super small and muddy. Playing Circle of the Moon on Wii U was awesome because it was bright and crisp so I really got to see a lot of details I never noticed before, hopefully Zero Mission is the same way.

I have a Retron 5 and an AGS-101 SP, so I've got two great ways to play it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Fremry posted:

I have a Retron 5 and an AGS-101 SP, so I've got two great ways to play it.

I actually have never heard of "Retron 5", but I have a 101 SP myself. I actually found a guy selling one online, mint condition, with a black shell on it - the 101 didn't actually come in that colour originally, but he put a new case on it himself. The lighting (backlighting; the original had front) on those has two setting, high and low, and it's so good on only low that I've never had to use high. I've literally played in a pitch-black room on low and had no problems at all.

Sadly, the GBA SP is an ergonomic nightmare for my huge hairy hands, so I only use it for GB/GBC games. I usually play GBA games on my DS (fits my hands a bit better) or my Game Boy Player.

Edit: I just looked up "Retron 5" out of curiosity... now I really want one. Thanks rear end in a top hat! :)

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 14, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

JustJeff88 posted:

I actually have never heard of "Retron 5", but I have a 101 SP myself. I actually found a guy selling one online, mint condition, with a black shell on it - the 101 didn't actually come in that colour originally, but he put a new case on it himself. The lighting (backlighting; the original had front) on those has two setting, high and low, and it's so good on only low that I've never had to use high. I've literally played in a pitch-black room on low and had no problems at all.

Sadly, the GBA SP is an ergonomic nightmare for my huge hairy hands, so I only use it for GB/GBC games. I usually play GBA games on my DS (fits my hands a bit better) or my Game Boy Player.

The Retron 5 is an android emulator box that requires cartridges to play. It dumps the ROM of your cart and loads it into an emulator, so it's not the most accurate way to play your NES, SNES, Genesis or GameBoy games, but it does have a cool feature where you can have it apply romhacks to the ROM of the cartridge you have inserted.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of January 14):

quote:

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man Battle Network 6: Cybeast Falzor (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
    Mega Man Battle Network 6: Cybeast Gregor (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Bombing Bastards (Wii U) - €4.99 / £? until January 21
    Cubemen 2 (Wii U) - €3.99 / £? until January 28
    Runbow (Wii U) - €10.49 / £? until January 30
    Unepic (Wii U) - €4.99 / £? until February 11

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Final Fantasy Explorers - €39.99 / £29.99 (pre-load, includes free theme until January 28)
    Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 (demo)
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    New Style Boutique 2 - free!
  • Peach's Yukata
  • Rosalina's Yukata
3DS MENU THEMES
    Animal Crossing: Winter Frolic - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Rage of the Gladiator (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 until January 15
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €7.49 / £6.70 until January 21

NA update (week of January 14):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Space Hulk - $29.99
    Wicked Monsters Blast! HD+ - $7.99
    The Perplexing Orb - $3.99
    Near Earth Objects - $2.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Metroid Zero Mission (GBA) - $7.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Knytt Underground (Wii U eShop) - $9.09 until January 21
    Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U) - $19.99 until January 25
    Cubemen 2 (Wii U eShop) - $3.99 until January 28
    Puddle (Wii U eShop) - "on sale" until January 28

3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Slice It! - $5.99
    Lionel City Builder 3D: Rise of the Rails - $4.99
    The Keep (demo)
3DS MENU THEMES
    Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX "Paper Craft" - $1.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven (3DS) - $19.99 until January 18
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - $7.49 until January 21
    Code of Princess (3DS) - $9.99 until January 25
    SMT Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker (3DS) - $29.99 until January 25
    Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed (3DS) - $19.99 until January 25

Buy that good Metroid.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

The Retron 5 is an android emulator box that requires cartridges to play. It dumps the ROM of your cart and loads it into an emulator, so it's not the most accurate way to play your NES, SNES, Genesis or GameBoy games, but it does have a cool feature where you can have it apply romhacks to the ROM of the cartridge you have inserted.

It's not the most accurate, but it's definitely the best way to play your old carts on an HDTV. It also lets you swap the save file back and forth between the cart and the console, so you can play on your TV, dump the save to the cart and pick it up on your game boy later. It is absolutely a glorified emulator, but it's super nice for people like me who collect the carts, but want to play on an HDTV. It's pretty much what Nintendo does with the VC, but without the CRT filter and you don't have to buy the game if you have the cart.

And yeah, JustJeff88, it's really nice. Playing GBA games with a Super NES controller is the poo poo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
How's the Wii U version of Sonic Racing Transformed? Did it get any of the additional content that the PC version got?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

jivjov posted:

How's the Wii U version of Sonic Racing Transformed?

Good.

jivjov posted:

Did it get any of the additional content that the PC version got?

Same as all other console versions: no.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

jivjov posted:

How's the Wii U version of Sonic Racing Transformed? Did it get any of the additional content that the PC version got?

It's great + I don't know probably not

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fremry posted:

It's not the most accurate, but it's definitely the best way to play your old carts on an HDTV. It also lets you swap the save file back and forth between the cart and the console, so you can play on your TV, dump the save to the cart and pick it up on your game boy later. It is absolutely a glorified emulator, but it's super nice for people like me who collect the carts, but want to play on an HDTV. It's pretty much what Nintendo does with the VC, but without the CRT filter and you don't have to buy the game if you have the cart.

And yeah, JustJeff88, it's really nice. Playing GBA games with a Super NES controller is the poo poo.

I dunno if I'd say best when you can pipe your console's RGB output into a Framemeister for a much more accurate experience, but down that path lies :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

At the very least, it's the most cost effective way of playing carts on a modern TV.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Also, I'm annoyed that Final Fantasy Explorers is coming out this month, has been available in Japan for a while, and yet I can't find any review or a more detailed impression other than "it doesn't play like MonHun, guys!".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Saoshyant posted:

Good.

Same as all other console versions: no.

Did it at least have the Metal Sonic/Outrun track pack? I can live without the various other racers, but I want that track...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sonic Racing Wii U has 5-player local multiplayer and some exclusive 4v1 modes that use the gamepad, but the PC version runs at a higher framerate and has a lot of extra characters (mostly bad ones) that never came to consoles.

edit: yeah it has the extra tracks

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

jivjov posted:

Did it at least have the Metal Sonic/Outrun track pack? I can live without the various other racers, but I want that track...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Quest For Glory II posted:

WE'RE GETTING ZERO MISSION FINALLY

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/metroid-zero-mission-wii-u

nintendo reads my posts and only mine

gently caress YES FINALLY! I've played all the other Metroid games I have access to (except the first two. No map no play) and that one was a glaring hole in my Metroid experience. Buying that as soon as it goes live!

jivjov posted:

It is good and it does two-player local play the way Mario Kart 8 should have done it: with one player on the TV and the other on the Gamepad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Huzzah. Thanks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

gently caress YES FINALLY! I've played all the other Metroid games I have access to (except the first two. No map no play) and that one was a glaring hole in my Metroid experience. Buying that as soon as it goes live!

It is good and it does two-player local play the way Mario Kart 8 should have done it: with one player on the TV and the other on the Gamepad.

Zero Mission is probably the second best one too. It's so sick

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

poo poo, I didn't even think of that, that's awesome. Ugh this would be like the 4th platform I own this game on.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Waltzing Along posted:

Happy birthday

jivjov posted:

I believe it covers the entire birthday month.
I meant it isn't in America and won't likely be in America by the end of the month, sadly.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

30 launches for EOU2 demo? Well, aren't they feeling generous.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

In Training posted:

Zero Mission is probably the second best one too. It's so sick

I'd argue it is the best. I love me the hell out of Super Metroid aesthetically but controls wise it's a bit cludgy these days.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

poo poo, I didn't even think of that, that's awesome. Ugh this would be like the 4th platform I own this game on.

It's a blast! I had a lot of fun running through the main campaign in co-op with my husband. Don't think we made it all the way through (some of the later tracks and challenges are balls hard), but it was a lot of fun!

Kaubocks posted:

I'd argue it is the best. I love me the hell out of Super Metroid aesthetically but controls wise it's a bit cludgy these days.

Super looking forward to it! I ran through the Prime Trilogy, Super Metroid, and Metroid Fusion in one extended binge and was sad that I had to stop due to Zero Mission not being released here yet. Now I can rectify this!

Metroid is good. :D Samus is my new favorite Nintendo character. She's just stone cold and gives no fucks about anything and she's awesome.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm going to mention this here because I didn't know about it, and maybe some of you don't either. Apparently they did a PC port of the three Castlevania games, Contra and Super contra for the NES onto the PC - I had no idea this existed until late last week. It's still fairly available second-hand, but it's not cheap. I just wanted to mention it in case anyone, like me, didn't know about it and might be interested.

Edit: Actually, most of the copies on Amazon are new, but the only Prime-eligible one is $50 US. Speaking of Castlevania, Symphony of the Night on PS3 and/or PSP is on sale on the PSN for $4 until Tuesday. If you buy it, you get both the PS3 and PSP version. I know that that was a Playstation game, but it's still a fantastic deal - I'm getting it. Sorry for the derail.

Fremry posted:

Stop drilling, you hit oil. One reason I plumped for a GB player (mine is hooked up to my CRTV; it looks goofy on HD) was that I could put in GB/GBC/GBA games and save to a cartridge, then play the save on the road. This sounds, great, but I'm skint at the moment. I will keep it mind, though.

Silver Falcon posted:

I've played all the other Metroid games I have access to (except the first two. No map no play)...

You and me both, brother/sister. I apologise for nothing.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 14, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The second one has a really simple map, it's much more navigable than the original because you basically have a main corridor and zones that branch out from it. You would think it might be harder because of having to find all the Metroid, but it's really manageable and worth playing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

My #1 is Prime, actually

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

What the hell is that spider waring.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jarogue posted:

What the hell is that spider waring.

FEAR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

greatn posted:

The second one has a really simple map, it's much more navigable than the original because you basically have a main corridor and zones that branch out from it. You would think it might be harder because of having to find all the Metroid, but it's really manageable and worth playing.

You greatly, greatly overestimate my sense of direction. I guarantee I would get hopelessly lost within a minute. I NEED a map. And I don't feel like looking one up or, worse, drawing my own. I suck at drawing maps apparently. It's the main reason I haven't tried Etrian Odyssey. :( I tried the demo and just couldn't get a handle on the map drawing.