Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Jeff Sichoe posted:

Whilst not 100% on the mark I feel the starter boxes are closer to what is needed that some of the previous GW 'starter' releases.

it wouldn't be warhammer if theh hadn't missed it by thiiiiiiis much

speaking of, I've been meaning to get back in now that I have time off. Tau look cool, any pointers wrt Gundam aliens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

BULBASAUR posted:

Instead of making the rules better for new players they just threw formations ontop of what exists and made things more complicated.
Indeed, and gods help you if you think those "starter" formations are even remotely balanced against either each other or the rest of the game as a whole.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

TheChirurgeon posted:

Related note, I got in a game this past weekend against my friend's Necrons, 2,000 points! This dude's Necrons are notoriously difficult to kill so coming into the game I was thinking about new strategies I could try to improve my chances of not being tabled. In this case, I decided to field the Kranon's Helgard detachment from the dataslate they released a while back. It gives any enemy unit within 12" of one unit in the formation -1 Ld, and -1 BS if they are within 12" of 2+ units in the formation. Seemed like a good way to stop Necrons from housing my poo poo

Those are some sweet photos TheChirugeon. You have a drat nice setup there. I can imagine the silent robbits getting back up, covered in snow after being knocked down by boltguns. Love the custom Chaos Sorcerer on his bike by the way.

I hope CSM gets a Codex this year. We could do with a mobility boost that doesn't require forgeworld prices or requiring forgeworld in your meta. (We typically only run Forgeworld by agreement beforehand)

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Four Score posted:

it wouldn't be warhammer if theh hadn't missed it by thiiiiiiis much

speaking of, I've been meaning to get back in now that I have time off. Tau look cool, any pointers wrt Gundam aliens?

Goto your local FLGS and see what's being played there. Then get X-Wangs or Infinity

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Renfield posted:

Goto your local FLGS and see what's being played there. Then get X-Wangs or Infinity

Nobody plays Infinity up here, and I don't care for X-Wangs :saddowns:

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Then still check out what's being played in your local area - and go from there

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm about to start assembling and painting x3 Taurox, and was wondering if anyone had made them before;

Is it better to leave the track assemblies off when painting them, or it doesn't really matter.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

Those are some sweet photos TheChirugeon. You have a drat nice setup there. I can imagine the silent robbits getting back up, covered in snow after being knocked down by boltguns. Love the custom Chaos Sorcerer on his bike by the way.

I hope CSM gets a Codex this year. We could do with a mobility boost that doesn't require forgeworld prices or requiring forgeworld in your meta. (We typically only run Forgeworld by agreement beforehand)

Thanks! I just finished painting most of the terrain and I'm very happy with how the table looks. The bike sorcerer is a conversion I did back in college, and a model I recently retouched. I'll see about posting some newer photos of him this week.

We're pretty lax about forgeworld stuff. There aren't really any degenerate lists in our group, and the forgeworld stuff rolling around is pretty tame (mostly since I have most of it and Chaos Space Marines suck). To be honest I feel like banning Forgeworld outside of general agreements on things like the massive superheavies is a relic of older editions.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

You'd think someone somewhere would have posted a picture of the IG Start Collecting formation by now, literally every other one is hosted somewhere :argh:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SadRaider on the left is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwlogyj7nFE

:(

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Yeast posted:

I'm about to start assembling and painting x3 Taurox, and was wondering if anyone had made them before;

Is it better to leave the track assemblies off when painting them, or it doesn't really matter.

I've built and painted four of them and used a fifth for conversion fodder for my Orks. I love that kit; it goes together super easily and paints up quick. I'd just glue in the tracks now. They aren't big and it won't be hard to paint them. If you're weathering it, you'll be able to cover up any possible spillover with dirt and grime anyway.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Anyone know the dimensions of the Forge World Crassus or Gorgon?

I have some 1/35 amphibious assault vehicles I'd like to try converting to be cheap versions of both of these vehicles. Anyone know what the dimensions for each of these are? Length, width and height including tracks if you can. For the Gorgon, since it's got a pronounced prow, if you could give me the length with and without that, that'd be great. Cheers!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Dark Project posted:

Anyone know the dimensions of the Forge World Crassus or Gorgon?

I have some 1/35 amphibious assault vehicles I'd like to try converting to be cheap versions of both of these vehicles. Anyone know what the dimensions for each of these are? Length, width and height including tracks if you can. For the Gorgon, since it's got a pronounced prow, if you could give me the length with and without that, that'd be great. Cheers!

Crassus:

Gorgon:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
If they release a combined Ad Mech codex then I am in trouble. The Skitarii, Ruststalkers and the Dominus are gorgeous and the only thing that has kept me strong is the scoffing at the split codex and the lovely Kastelan robots. Now they've released the Start Collecting boxes and I'm finding myself planning out Kastelan conversions so I'm probably hosed.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Speaking of Imperial vehicles.

Finally getting around to doing Steel Legion.

New Year excitement is cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Crassus:

Gorgon:

Thanks, but I don't really know how to eyeball their size properly, as I don't know the dimensions of the model they're next to. I've searched around but nobody seems to know them, which is weird.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Dark Project posted:

Thanks, but I don't really know how to eyeball their size properly, as I don't know the dimensions of the model they're next to. I've searched around but nobody seems to know them, which is weird.

first result for 40k rhino dimensions :shrug:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Crassus:

Gorgon:

Hot drat the Crassus is tiny. I thought it was like double that size

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I put together three Chaos Raptors tonight for my new Kill Team. gently caress everything about this ugly-rear end model.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

The Dark Project posted:

edit: nm, I'm wrong!

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 13, 2016

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, even with the other vehicles dimensions being available, I am still not able to properly judge the size by comparison. Nevermind, I'll keep looking around and see if I can find them elsewhere.

I thought the Crassus was going to be the same size as the Gorgon tbh.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

PantsOptional posted:

I put together three Chaos Raptors tonight for my new Kill Team. gently caress everything about this ugly-rear end model.

What! Those guys are great!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Miles O'Brian posted:

If they release a combined Ad Mech codex then I am in trouble. The Skitarii, Ruststalkers and the Dominus are gorgeous and the only thing that has kept me strong is the scoffing at the split codex and the lovely Kastelan robots. Now they've released the Start Collecting boxes and I'm finding myself planning out Kastelan conversions so I'm probably hosed.

I found the Kastelans growing on me when I painted the little fuckers.

The eye lenses aren't that bad if you paint them as dark glass or the like instead of the silver plate they have in the official color scheme.

There's also a Russian third-party caster that makes alternate Kastelan heads.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
They kind of remind me of Big Hero 6.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/Muzzle-Flashes

I have to say these are kind of cool.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Drake_263 posted:

There's also a Russian third-party caster that makes alternate Kastelan heads.

Those are p. good. His ork stuff is also neat. His female models are eurgh.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Those are p. good. His ork stuff is also neat. His female models are eurgh.

Ya, I'd steer clear most of that stuff. I just remembered the heads since Kastelans came up..

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
That guy has some great squigs.

Not sure what's up with the tech priest with her junk hanging out.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 13, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I can understand Stitches being a chaos model, but I'm a bit lost on Anub'arak.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

If you're doing a diorama, sure. They look kinda tacky on regular gaming models but I've seen some neat dioramas with them.

DeadGame posted:

That guy has some great squigs.

Not sure what's up with the tech priest with her junk hanging out.

That shop is a regular feature in the Unspiration thread. I don't know what it is about super talented Russian and Ukrainian sculptors making cheesecake models.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Just got my hands on a recast kit but have no clue what extra care needs to be used with this stuff.

All I know is the dude I got it from, got it from China and that you have to be extra careful. Any tips before I poison myself ?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Don't breathe in the dust from cutting/grinding/filing it. Don't lick it.

Basically treat it like any other resin model.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Just got my hands on a recast kit but have no clue what extra care needs to be used with this stuff.

All I know is the dude I got it from, got it from China and that you have to be extra careful. Any tips before I poison myself ?

I mean there's really no way of knowing what they used. It could be deadly nerve toxin or something safer than what Forgeworld uses, who knows!

I do know that I put a bunch of them together and I appear to have been unscathed. But yes like BlackIronHeart said just observe normal resin safety and don't hit it with a belt sander and then huff all the dust.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

ghetto wormhole posted:

I mean there's really no way of knowing what they used. It could be deadly nerve toxin or something safer than what Forgeworld uses, who knows!

I do know that I put a bunch of them together and I appear to have been unscathed. But yes like BlackIronHeart said just observe normal resin safety and don't hit it with a belt sander and then huff all the dust.

Thanks for the info lads, should I use sealant after painting or is that just over kill?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

If you're doing a diorama, sure. They look kinda tacky on regular gaming models but I've seen some neat dioramas with them.

True, unless you wanted to go overboard and use them as markers that show that unit has fired this round or such.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

SRM posted:

That shop is a regular feature in the Unspiration thread. I don't know what it is about super talented Russian and Ukrainian sculptors making cheesecake models.

Supply and demand. Sweaty terrible neckbeards all over the world will buy 'em, why not try and get in on that particular pie?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Full Circle snatched up my old Nids so I'll thank him here for helping to plug my 40k deficit.

Also, finished my last honor guard and honestly I'm glad. It's almost painful to put this much time into non-hero models.

I will post a group shot for oath and show this weekend.

Magnetized the head so he can act as a Champion incase I want to run two 5 mans as opposed to a single ten man.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 14, 2016

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Likewise, shoutouts to Fix and Uroboros for getting me started in 40k (and tabletop gaming in general) with a solid army. Been playing games weekly with friends and enjoying it immensely thus far.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Thanks for the info lads, should I use sealant after painting or is that just over kill?

I've found I want sealant on my models simply because touching them regularly rubs off edge work pretty quickly, I don't think you need it to keep in the toxic qualities of whatever it is made out of...it isn't like you are going to eat it, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
My wife and I have a lot of board game type friends. I was thinking of picking up a second army so I can have non hams come round and play and see if I can get them hooked on tiny plastic space barbies or just have fun. My previous work were very kind enough to give me an Ork codex, a Morkanaut and the Special Flash Gitz box set when I left (the one with a captain and some ammo grots). So I'm thinking Orks. Plus they do speak to me so much in both models and fluff. And no one fields Orks in my local meta. The other option would be Tau, simply because their models are gorgeous, but the fluff really doesn't grab me too much. I've always felt 40k should be a race to the bottom in terms of being the most utter bastards, and at worst they're just space cult.

I know Orks aren't in a competitive place right now, but I field CSM so the disparity shouldn't be too great right if I field fairly fluffy lists for Chaos?

Also what's some recommendations for building up an elitish Ork force that is fun to play and not too dependent on special rules? I will eventually get myself a green horde, but practically speaking, I have my Chaos space marines and daemons to paint as well.

• Locked thread