Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
so this isn't strictly synth-related, but this looks kind of interesting: http://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/k-mix/

claims to support up to +28dBu on the inputs, which i think means you ought to be able to plug your modular right into it? according to the random calculator i found, +28dBu is roughly 55v p-p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I broke down and ordered a Mutable Clouds and an Audio Damage Neuron, which should be here on Friday, and a Doepfer A-110-4 Thru Zero VCO + A-138c polarizing mixer which should be here... whenever the hell it gets in from Germany, which in my experience is anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. :woop:

I will have something like 90hp of space left in 18Ux84hp of Euro once they're installed.

I bought my first 9U case in March of 2015.

Eurorack is a loving disease. :shepspends:

W424
Oct 21, 2010

sofullofhate posted:

Eurorack is a loving disease. :shepspends:

Jesus. I managed to get a tiny 3U + silent way finished and opted out of euro until I get a job that pays actual money.
Now I'm just hammering F5 at thomann for Minilogue preorders to materialize like a normal, well adjusted person.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

surrender posted:

Minilogue photo leaked on reddit

Here's a demo video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuZpEtZF-hg
Available January 21st, 500$.

j.peeba fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 14, 2016

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

j.peeba posted:

Here's a demo video!
Available next wJanuary 21st, 500$.
Oh gently caress, I want to bring back the 90s with one of these so bad :fap: :getin:

W424
Oct 21, 2010

j.peeba posted:

Here's a demo video!

The video comments seem to "confirm" that it's paraphonic. GAS over.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I think the "PluginGuru" guy who apparently doesn't live up to his name is trying to say that it's not multi-timbral, but is polyphonic.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

breaks posted:

I think the "PluginGuru" guy who apparently doesn't live up to his name is trying to say that it's not multi-timbral, but is polyphonic.

No, he says it's only got one filter no matter the voice configuration.

breaks
May 12, 2001

He says "one amp/filter section" which is a different thing from "one amp/filter." He then goes on to talk about how you can't have two different sound settings at the same time.

In general it is very confusing and unclear, but I think he means multi-timbral.

Anyway we'll find out in a week or so I guess, but I'm also skeptical that Korg is dumb enough to label it "polyphonic" if it's not actually polyphonic.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I mean i don't hear another EG pop when he's playing legato on an init patch soooo. For $500 can't fault them for that.

breaks
May 12, 2001

this fuckin guy posted:

PlugInGuru 1 hour ago
+Benjamin White - Whatever voice mode you set - it all goes thru the single analog filter.....

Pete Brown 35 minutes ago
+PlugInGuru Where did you hear that? Specs on sweetwater show it as proper polyphonic (one filter per voice), not paraphonic.

Pete Brown 12 minutes ago
+PlugInGuru I just saw your demo on this. But still think we're confusing terms in here.

PlugInGuru 9 minutes ago
+Pete Brown - It is one filter per voice.

I have no idea how this son of bitch apparently has a career running a tutorial website.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

breaks posted:

I have no idea how this son of bitch apparently has a career running a tutorial website.

Maybe he has a side gig as Russian troll factory for synth videos.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

surrender posted:

Minilogue photo leaked on reddit

Maybe Korg should make this kind of stuff when the Canadian dollar isn't complete poo poo

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Hey, does anyone have any experience with dying DSP-based synths? Are there any repair options? I have a Nord Micro Modular that, on bootup, just keeps flashing the first couple of numbers of the firmware revision. This is normal, for a second or two, and then it should boot. Mine just keeps flashing those numbers, forever. I'm in New England if that helps but I'd be willing to ship anywhere. I would replace it but I'm also just worried about the longevity of these things in general.

Gonna be a real issue if they all start dying, because I use that thing on evertyhing. I have like 1000 patches saved

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
If there's an internal battery that can be changed, I'd look into that first before trying to send it out anywhere. Dead batteries are, like, the number one cause of digital synths not booting.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Pop the top and ensure all the chips are well-seated in their sockets. This smells strongly of the firmware waiting indefinitely for a processor or bus controller to initialize.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
A glowing French review of the Minilogue with samples and photos http://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthe-analogique/korg/minilogue/editorial/tests/tous-analo.html
Also a good nude of it so you can see that each voice has its own separate "card" space of circuitry. Monotimbral and lacking pedal input are amongst its very few negative points but it's overflowing with positives.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Number Two Stunna posted:

Maybe Korg should make this kind of stuff when the Canadian dollar isn't complete poo poo

Keep your fingers crossed - the bigs occasionally take a hit on the dollar to release it at a slightly better price than straight conversion. Occasionally it's even at par, though that'd be hard to imagine given how poo poo the dollar is right now.

I'm looking at it this way - I got an unexpected surprise when a performance bonus this year was in USD, so I'll take the hit on the dollar to get this one.

Picked up the Analog RYTM on a holiday sale; loving the sound of it so far, and after overcoming the usual Elektron learning curve it's nice having a purpose-built drum machine that makes starts you off with all the basic sounds on an init patch and lets you work from there. Next up is coaxing some depth out of it and getting past my big musical blind spot of samples. I'll probably start by getting some interesting sounds from the modular to import at least and then work from there.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I ordered my first Eurorack case last night. God help me.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Tayter Swift posted:

Modular is fun and good. Which case did you get? I can't believe how expensive so many of them are. Even for the eurorack world, it seems excessive.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

j.peeba posted:

Sweetwater got their shipment in today and I'll have mine on Monday :getin:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Wow now I get to be one of those guys that justifies their analog monosynth purchase by claiming that the newest digitally controlled analog synth isn't *quite* analog, right?

Is this what the 80s were like?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

:getin:

good jovi posted:

Modular is fun and good. Which case did you get? I can't believe how expensive so many of them are. Even for the eurorack world, it seems excessive.

this is why i built my own

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

sliderule posted:

Is this what the 80s were like?
People loved digital back then. We'd be arguing about sample rates and PCM storage on the Korg m1 vs Roland d50 while the rest would be talking about Kyma instead of Eurorack.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

good jovi posted:

Pulp Logic has a new $250 lunchbox.

http://pulplogic.com/product/lunchbox-lbz54/

It's going to essentially be a utility rack for my Mother-32. Only 54 HP but two rows of 1U utility tiles makes up for it.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Mr. Glass posted:

this is why i built my own

same. Some Vector rails in a thrift store suitcase do the job quite nicely.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

Pulp Logic has a new $250 lunchbox.

http://pulplogic.com/product/lunchbox-lbz54/

It's going to essentially be a utility rack for my Mother-32. Only 54 HP but two rows of 1U utility tiles makes up for it.

nice! fwiw my favorite 1U modules from pulplogic are the new 12HP mixer, Att-Off, and the NSL-32 VCA. i end up using them in pretty much every patch.

e: you know the mother 32 won't fit in that, right?

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 15, 2016

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
What are the chances korg releases a desktop/module version of the minilogue? I already have way too many keys...

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Mr. Glass posted:

e: you know the mother 32 won't fit in that, right?

Yeah it's just going to complement it, not house it. I want another oscillator and an envelope, and a multimode filter would be nice.

Not sure if I want to go traditional ADSR or Maths.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i'd strongly recommend Maths, it's a lot more versatile and has way more modulation options (although there is a bit more of a learning curve to it). the dual adsr doesn't have CV control over any of its parameters which is pretty limiting imo. you might also consider Tides instead of the dixie ii+. packs quite a bit of functionality in a small space, and can be used for a variety of purposes.

also, i found the pulplogic s&h to be way too unstable for serious use (the held voltage drops audibly immediately after sampling), but ymmv i guess.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Eh I'm specifically looking for another analog oscillator in the Dixie. I do suppose even the single ADSR is kind of vestigial though so I'll probably ditch that too. Maybe even uScale can go too.

It's funny, I started planning this around turning my Mom into a minimoog and its gone in a totally different direction.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

It's funny, I started planning this around turning my Mom into a minimoog and its gone in a totally different direction.

:science:

I'd also suggest you consider a dual EG/VCA for convenience like the double andore or Galilean moons. Former has more elaborate envs than the latter but both have cv control of AR. I went full on ADSRs when I started my rack but personally found I used ADs most of the time anyway. Sputniks got some interesting EG stuff coming soon for cheaps. If suitandtieguy ever actually releases that ADSHDRKFCTACOBELL module he's been working on for a while it'll probably be the EG to end EGs, for me anyway.

e: https://mobile.twitter.com/suitandtieguy/status/686301542786400261 :yum:

Startyde fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 15, 2016

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Just ordered Miniloque within 30 mins after seeing my euroland shop updated their placeholder price, including a trip to the cash deposit machine. I usually have slightly better impulse control.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Takahashi's demo is much better than the others I've seen so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmsiNqrM374

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Startyde posted:

:science:

I'd also suggest you consider a dual EG/VCA for convenience like the double andore or Galilean moons. Former has more elaborate envs than the latter but both have cv control of AR. I went full on ADSRs when I started my rack but personally found I used ADs most of the time anyway. Sputniks got some interesting EG stuff coming soon for cheaps. If suitandtieguy ever actually releases that ADSHDRKFCTACOBELL module he's been working on for a while it'll probably be the EG to end EGs, for me anyway.

e: https://mobile.twitter.com/suitandtieguy/status/686301542786400261 :yum:

These are all so drat big though. I have 26HP left after Dixie and Maths and I don't think I want to devote more space to envelope generation. In fact even the PGH one will probably be cast aside.

I dunno, I'll start with Dixie and Maths and see where I want to go from there. I'm sure there will be plenty of new stuff coming out of NAMM as well.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

breaks posted:

He designed factory presets for a bunch of KORG and Roland synths. Nice guy. Don't know what was going on in that comments section though.

Sweetwater posted an update to resolve things:

quote:

Hi All,

We asked Daniel Fisher for more specifics on the signal flow of the Minilogue:

It is a true 4-voice polyphony synth, with each voice having two Oscillators, a resonant 2/4-pole Lowpass Filter, an Amp, two Envelope Generators, and an LFO. Even the Audio In jack is sent, pre-Filter, to each of the four voices. When in DUO Mode, you have two voices with four oscillators per note. When in UNISON, you have eight oscillators for that note. The Minilogue also features Velocity to Filter, and Velocity to Amp, Portamento Times as well as Portamento Modes, MIDI CC#s for the parameters, the ability to sync its LFO, Voice Delay, Arpeggiator, Sequencer, and Portamento to an internal or external clock, plus a Panel Load feature that delivers the sound of the exact current settings of the front panel. I know, it’s hard to believe it’s real at this price point. We have included a Block Diagram of the Minilogue’s signal flow to help you understand what our excitement is all about. Check it out here: http://bit.ly/1SkjOLc. Thanks for watching!

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Jeesh Korg, why now? Korg seems like a home run hitter to me, lots of misses but what hits is very good. The Minilouge looks great, but I'm going to wait until the teething issues are done with, I've played one, and I've sold some poo poo I won't need if I buy it (sorry Volca bass, Volca keys, possibly UltraNova who knows).

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Korg has been killing it as far as I'm concerned, I've gotten the volca keys (poor man's minilogue :haw:), e2 and gadget, all of which I've had loads of fun with and have proven to be incredibly versatile. If I weren't constrained by space and budget priorities I'd be all over dat simulated real! wood grain rear end.

snorch fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 18, 2016

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah my first synth buy was a KingKorg, and while it has been disappointing in a number of ways, I appreciate it for what it is compared to its competitors.

Reissuing classic analog synths in a smaller size is respectable, and although I don't own Volcas or Tribes, I'd be inclined to get one at the right price. I almost bought a Monotron Delay just for something to mess around with in the car. I can't think of much else in that segment, except maybe the TE PO devices.

The release of the Minilogue is pretty shocking. Until now a lot of the product line seemed to follow a certain ethos and a retail price that was sure to include a lot of margin. 500 USD (700 CAD) for a 4-voice analog poly is crazy compared to a Mopho X4 or Analog Keys, without making capability comparisons. With that build quality, too!

If I didn't have an SQ-80, an EX5, and a KingKorg, I'd be picking one of these up as a no-brainer. (Then again, if I could do it all again, I'd throw more money at a Virus or PolyEvolver rather than buy a KK at that time, so price isn't everything.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Music store guy gave me the NDA smile when I asked if there were any other shockers for NAMM, but I put a deposit on for a Mililogue; he said I could switch it to something else so maybe there's some other shocks in store, I dunno.

That being said, I can't imagine any of the bigs having something similar coming out - Roland can't cut the legs out from the JD flagship, Dave Smith has one at a higher price point, Yamaha has Reface already at that price point.

Maybe Akai will finally wow us with the Timbre Wolf 2.