Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

I found my favourite pubbie in the history of MWO. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I can't tell which one is the pubbie...

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Where do you find these magical rage factories :allears:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jack2142 posted:

okay I am finally ready to be added by goons if possible I should be JackTheRipper21 I usually drive IS lights or mediums, I don't think I have a single heavy or assault anymore

done.

anyone in WoL can do this without a friend invite, just go to Faction Play=>Member Management=>Invite to Unit

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Tap to induce rage.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Could I get a WoL invite under the name Zombihaus?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Pooncha posted:

Where do you find these magical rage factories :allears:

just some mild innocuous cajoling, or sometimes you are simply lucky.

Early this morning i was on a team that got rolled by tryhards and a guy did some heavy whining about meta laser builds. two matches later we drop with him again and he gets aced by LRMs, and went into full meltdown mode

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Being a tryhard in this game just means that you are using helios, we keep running into tryhard groups and it's so stupidly obvious they are just cheating like crazy. So thinking goons are ever going to compete using strategy and tactics is def not the way to win at this game, especially against 228 and the remnants of lord or whatever other shitbirds are hanging around just padding numbers in large groups with full map radar and auto aim.

PGI does not give a poo poo and has not banned any of these shitlords ever since the thing with modpud went down, I don't think anyone else in 228 got banned when (s)he did.

For some real MWO talk, everyone should get crabs for realsies, they itch a little bit but are probably the best mech this side of a stormcrow right now, I'm starting to run into people that realize that they should shoot me in the legs tho.

Washout fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 14, 2016

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Try hards go back to 228 with modpud k, thanks.

Because gently caress you, I do what I want.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I have a regular cicada, if i get the champion cicada, will i be able to elite all cicadas if i buy another cicada?
Or does the champion cicada not count for the three cicadas i need to unlock elite for all cicadas in my cicada cadre?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Thronde posted:

Try hards go back to 228 with modpud k, thanks.

Because gently caress you, I do what I want.

Laissez les bons temps rouler, mon cher

One day I will have the Mardi Gras paint scheme. It is on that day that my training will be complete and I will ascend into the hall of fame tier of mechwarriors.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I have a regular cicada, if i get the champion cicada, will i be able to elite all cicadas if i buy another cicada?
Or does the champion cicada not count for the three cicadas i need to unlock elite for all cicadas in my cicada cadre?

The champion one counts, but it counts the same as it's non-champion version. So you can't buy a -2A and a 2A(c) and something else and have that count as your three.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Played this game years ago with goons, when there were bugs out the wazoo, like u/ac screen shake and poo poo. Back in tearing up poo poo in my old Muromets as Ben Rakosi, looking for a WoL invite.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

The champion one counts, but it counts the same as it's non-champion version. So you can't buy a -2A and a 2A(c) and something else and have that count as your three.

Thanks, now i only need to check with cicada i actually have.
After grinding my balls off to get those 2 direwolves during the sale, i feel like its ISīs turn for some love.

Its always a bit intimitating for me to check for IS mechs, since the initial low cost is easily doubled (or trippled) with larger engines and ferro/endo/double heats...

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Champion, Hero, Invasion, doesn't matter. Basic is by chassis, elite by weight. So, you need any three Cicadas to basic out the Cicadas. Then, for some reason, you only need three medium-class mechs to Elite your Cicadas. However, when you go to unlock the Master slot on one of those Cicadas, you will need to own three Cicadas to do so.

If this all makes sense to you, congratulations you are literally Paul Inouye.

Btw this is one of many reasons that you never sell mechs unless it's a terrible chassis you will never ever play again and you really need an open mechbay for a robot you have to have RIGHT NOW. Other reasons include random passes of the balance pendulum, as well as the possibility that {MECH} may get a special anti-Helios module hardpoint.

Helios talk: If you can't beat em, join em. Honestly I'm not above grabbing a cheat to be used exclusively against those already using it. It's simply leveling the playing field. I am, however, firmly against spending money on this horrible game even indirectly. I would still love to see the reaction of Emp or lord teams confronted with a 12-man of goons all running Helios solely for use against those teams. That would almost be worth getting banned for, y'know, if it were possible to get banned for it without allowing someone to spectate and record you blatantly using said cheat in a #1 MWO Player tournament that's receiving the attention of the dev team and every serious player.

But surely no one would ever be so brazenly foolish.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 14, 2016

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Vorenus posted:

Helios talk: If you can't beat em, join em. Honestly I'm not above grabbing a cheat to be used exclusively against those already using it. It's simply leveling the playing field.

what the gently caress dude :colbert:

edit: colbert

Blackdog420 fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 14, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Vorenus posted:

Champion, Hero, Invasion, doesn't matter. Basic is by chassis, elite by weight. So, you need any three Cicadas to basic out the Cicadas. Then, for some reason, you only need three medium-class mechs to Elite your Cicadas. However, when you go to unlock the Master slot on one of those Cicadas, you will need to own three Cicadas to do so.

Btw this is one of many reasons that you never sell mechs unless it's a terrible chassis you will never ever play again and you really need an open mechbay for a robot you have to have RIGHT NOW. Other reasons include random passes of the balance pendulum, as well as the possibility that {MECH} may get a special anti-Helios module hardpoint.

Helios talk: If you can't beat em, join em. Honestly I'm not above grabbing a cheat to be used exclusively against those already using it. It's simply leveling the playing field. I am, however, firmly against spending money on this horrible game. Except of course for when notrious bad armchairyoda buys a sweet, sweet Clan light pack for :10bux: and unwittingly peer pressures me into doing the same. Only then.

Err, wait.
Im not Paul Inouye so lets work this step by step.

Lets say i have 3 marauders (cause it was christmas and i love them).
Once i had the top 2 rows of all 3 skilled out, i was allowed to start the 3rd row. Once the 3rd row is full, the upper 2 will count double.
Lets assume i reach full 3rd row with each of them, what does that mean for other heavy mechs?
For example the Cataphract with which i have made lingering eye contact.
Lets assume i buy one, and only one of those.
I guess i still have to skill the 8 basic skills for the cataphract first, but having 3 marauders with a fully skilled elite allows me to skill the elite sectiopn of the cataphract despite only having one?
Or... what?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Vorenus posted:

Helios talk: If you can't beat em, join em. Honestly I'm not above grabbing a cheat to be used exclusively against those already using it. It's simply leveling the playing field. I am, however, firmly against spending money on this horrible game even indirectly. I would still love to see the reaction of Emp or lord teams confronted with a 12-man of goons all running Helios solely for use against those teams. That would almost be worth getting banned for, y'know, if it were possible to get banned for it without allowing someone to spectate and record you blatantly using said cheat in a #1 MWO Player tournament that's receiving the attention of the dev team and every serious player.

But surely no one would ever be so brazenly foolish.

:getout:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Err, wait.
Im not Paul Inouye so lets work this step by step.
Or... what?

Skills only affect the mech they're for, and only the basic (first row) skills get doubled when elite skills (second row) are filled out. The third row skill allows you to fit another module.

E: Also helios guy, :frogout:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Vorenus posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? You just get 3 of your chassis of choice, and once you get all the Basic skills for each variant, you can then put points into the Elite skills, and then once all three variants have that unlocked you get to dump a lot of points into getting the Master slot.

dreadman
Mar 18, 2007
epilepsy is great for washing up
So i'm thinking of getting into the Victor mechs, because they look cool, and are currently on sale -
Is this build bad yes / no.
Please tell me why either way.
VTR-9S

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Elliotw2 posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? You just get 3 of your chassis of choice, and once you get all the Basic skills for each variant, you can then put points into the Elite skills, and then once all three variants have that unlocked you get to dump a lot of points into getting the Master slot.

But how does that work with other mechs?
Can for example raven profit from basicing jenners?
The way i understood this, when i have all 8 basic skills from one chassis (like 3 jenners), i can elite every chassis from that weight class (that i have basicīd of course) even if I only have one of those (like raven).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

The way i understood this, when i have all 8 basic skills from one chassis (like 3 jenners), i can elite every chassis from that weight class (that i have basicīd of course) even if I only have one of those (like raven).

Mechs only benefit from getting the basic/elite on their own chassis. When I'm flying my Kit Fox it doesn't give a poo poo that I have a mastered RVN-3L in the mech bay next to it, it's still only at 7/8 of basic.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

It works this way with mastering stuff iirc, if you fully elite 3 mechs of the same chassis you can master any mech in that weight class that has been fully elited. This means if I have mastered catapults then if I also elite one cataphract I can master it as well without having to elite 3 cataphracts. Of course this is still tough to do because in order to fully elite any mech you have to get full basics on 3 of the same mech. It just means that if you only enjoy playing one or two variants of a mech (and you want to master that 1/2) you only have to basic 3 different mechs instead of eliting them all.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Elliotw2 posted:

Mechs only benefit from getting the basic/elite on their own chassis. When I'm flying my Kit Fox it doesn't give a poo poo that I have a mastered RVN-3L in the mech bay next to it, it's still only at 7/8 of basic.

I was referring to this part:

quote:

Then, for some reason, you only need three medium-class mechs to Elite your Cicadas.

What does that mean if i have 3 Jenners and one Raven?

EDIT:
Ok, i figured it out.
I need to elite any 3 mechs of a weight class to gain access to master of any of that weight class.
I must however basic 3 of the same chassis to be able to elite even a single them, so since i need 3 for basic anyways, it would be a good idea to go for elite on those same 3.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 14, 2016

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

dreadman posted:

So i'm thinking of getting into the Victor mechs, because they look cool, and are currently on sale -
Is this build bad yes / no.
Please tell me why either way.
VTR-9S

It's fine apart from the single ton of AC/2 ammo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I was referring to this part:

What does that mean if i have 3 Jenners and one Raven?

EDIT:
Ok, i figured it out.
I need to elite any 3 mechs of a weight class to gain access to master of any of that weight class.
I must however basic 3 of the same chassis to be able to elite even a single them, so since i need 3 for basic anyways, it would be a good idea to go for elite on those same 3.

You should definitely basic the three because you have to. If they're poo poo and you already have three mechs of the same weight class elited then basic them and sell them.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Fil5000 posted:

It's fine apart from the single ton of AC/2 ammo.

I'd probably drop down to SRM4s and max out the armour.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Anticheese posted:

I'd probably drop down to SRM4s and max out the armour.

Also, don't use SRMs without Artemis, and there's not much point in a 320 engine, either go 325 or 300. You don't lose much speed from dropping down a little bit in size, and the extra heatsink slot is only every 25.

With a STD300, there's enough tonnage for 3x ASRM-6 with 4.5 tons of ASRM ammo and 3 tons of AC-20 ammo: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=90&l=462ff379157b47cbe8df7748d5bda37a95689ff9

It will run hot, so those medium lasers are just there as a backup (and honestly, you could probably cut them for engine heatsinks instead, depending on how long your ammo lasts you in the average game). The idea is to alpha the AC-20 and ASRM-6s together since they have nearly the same cooldown (sadly, your quirks throw them out of sync slightly).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 14, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
the 9s isn't a good SRM vomit platform. The 2nd and 3rd launchers only have 5 and 2 tubes, respectively, which means that when you fire off those launchers, instead of an immediate pounding, it'll be a peppering over time. The 2nd launcher will fire a volley of 5 and then 1 missile, and the 3rd will fire 3 volleys of 2 missiles. I'd tell you to put Artemis on there, but the sad fact is that Victor can't effectively make use of its missile slots in a brawl configuration.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

the 9s isn't a good SRM vomit platform. The 2nd and 3rd launchers only have 5 and 2 tubes, respectively, which means that when you fire off those launchers, instead of an immediate pounding, it'll be a peppering over time.

:rip:

It'd be nice if smurfy indicated as much.

It's probably worth going to 3x ARM-4 and 2x U-AC/5, then: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=90&l=ba10bef4da783809cb0307431ec2c2b85b9ed0aa

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 14, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

:rip:

It'd be nice if smurfy indicated as much.

It's probably worth going to 3x ARM-4 and 2x U-AC/5, then: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=90&l=1b04ba6f0eaa20ed8bfb59d1220f24f883b56d02

It does.

Don't forget that last SRM4 is going to fire 2 volleys. Not as bad as 3xASRM6s, but still not ideal.

edit: oh my loving god put at least 1 jump jet on there.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

It does.

Oh, huh, my bad.

(Also yes, it has one jump jet now.)

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
I put 3 LPL, Tag, and 4 LRM 10 on a Kingcrab-0000. I have no regrets.

dreadman
Mar 18, 2007
epilepsy is great for washing up
Ok i think ive got this figured out now:

VTR-9S - jumpy

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Is there any way to recover if you get stuck in scenery and can't move?

I was in a skirmish yesterday where this happened to my Thunderbolt. I was screwing around with jump jets and managed to get permanently stuck to the ground in the middle of a valley. I could torso twist way more than it seemed like I normally can, but I could not move an inch and my jump jet fuel was stuck at 0. Despite being trapped out in the open, the opposing team was so bad/distracted by my allies I still managed to do 900 damage before someone decided to run up my butt and there was nothing I could do to even see him let alone hit him.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ok, i figured it out.

This makes sense. I was having the Master tier unlock after only eliting one of a chassis and I was wondering why. Most of what I've been skilling up are clan mechs, so I keep at most two chassis and all the omnipods from all 3. Good to know I don't have to elite three of the same chassis (2 of which I'll probably never use again).

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015
Looking to pick up my 3rd Stormcrow chassis to Basic. Is there any real difference between the -A, -B, and -D other than what it comes armed with?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Pretty sure they're the same except the stock omnipods. Clan mechs are easy to master out since you just throw your favorite omnipods on and it's the same as your usual one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Melchior posted:

This makes sense. I was having the Master tier unlock after only eliting one of a chassis and I was wondering why. Most of what I've been skilling up are clan mechs, so I keep at most two chassis and all the omnipods from all 3. Good to know I don't have to elite three of the same chassis (2 of which I'll probably never use again).

Thats the way i understand it works.

quote:

To add just a bit more. Any three mechs at 4/4 elite in a weight class unlocks it for the class.

For example I have master in my jenner, raven, and spider chassis. Only one of each is 4/4 elite the others are only 8/8 basic. You do not have to master any particular chassis to unlock it for the entire weight class. Any 3 mechs in a class at elite will do that.

Condensed version.
Unlocking elite is chassis specific, Unlocking master is weight class specific.

and

quote:

Example:
Three variants of the hunchback with Master unlocked (don't need to have all/any of them in your mechbay).

Buy a Centurion-A
Unlock all basics then sell.
Buy Centurion-AL
Unlock all basics then sell.
Buy Centurion-D
You can now unlock all skills for the Cent-D.

• Locked thread