Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We take Mersing without a fight.

The offensive here continues. I'm still trying to clear out the railway lines.

The Chinese attack our forces, but they are poorly lead and inexperienced, and take heavy losses.

We need more troops to take Manilla.

Not much to mention here today.

I have no idea why these guys thought this was a good idea. They decided to go through mined Bataan to get to the location instead of the unmined hex.

Green is the expected safe route. Red is the route this bunch of idiots took.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It wouldn't be a proper war without people occasionally disobeying your orders to do something incredibly stupid. Or awesome, sometimes.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
I think exploring the "Set TF Routing" options might help your pixelmen be a little more predictable. There are a couple of toggles there that determine what route a task force will take. It defaults to "normal" which means the AI tries to route around enemy-held areas, but contested areas (like the Philippines here) can confuse it. Unless I'm dealing with convoys in rear-areas, I almost always set pathing to "direct". You can also use it to set waypoints if you want to route around an enemy area but don't trust the AI to make good decisions.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
So we're closing in on Singapore. Any idea what its defenses look like right now?

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Grey Hunter posted:

Might want to turn on hex-side details, I think that side of Clark is not reachable by sea (ie, its' red instead of blue).

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pervis posted:

Might want to turn on hex-side details, I think that side of Clark is not reachable by sea (ie, its' red instead of blue).

Correct.

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Grey Hunter posted:

Time to start whittling.

MacArthur still not withdrawn to Bataan? You're not pushing him hard enough....:)..

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

fredleander posted:

MacArthur still not withdrawn to Bataan? You're not pushing him hard enough....:)..

Dude was an egotistical douche. Might be for the best if he never leaves the Philippines.

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Dude was an egotistical douche.

Hmm....wherever did you read that......?

Cythereal posted:

Might be for the best if he never leaves the Philippines.

Seems to be holding up quite well. I'm a great admirer of MacArthur...he was the best...

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

fredleander posted:

gently caress MacArthur.

Bonus :lol:

:australia: posted:

MacArthur knew that he was born to rule, and born to greatness. Part of the reason he knew this, was that his mother repeatedly told him so. In fact when he went to West Point, she moved into an apartment nearby to supervise, and spent the next decades harassing every public officials she could think of to improve his chances of recognition and promotion.
link

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

First a nazi apologist, then a Macarthurite. WW2 threads bring out the worst in people.

But also great grandpa stories

And Grey sinking ships. Sometimes even ones belonging to the enemy! :allears:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

fredleander posted:

Seems to be holding up quite well. I'm a great admirer of MacArthur...he was the best...

"Our principal difficulty is General MacArthur. ... Here we seem to have a case of a commander publicly suggesting that his policy is not the policy of his government, not subject to the control of his own government, and who his own government is, nevertheless, unwilling or unable to discipline."

"Truman has earned the gratitude of all peace-loving peoples everywhere, by eliminating the greatest single opposition to peaceful efforts and policies in the Far East."

"I think the world learned a lesson - when you leave a man in a position of authority too long, he stops looking for ideas different from his own thoughts."

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

There was also his need to force all navy orders to go through him which caused impossible delays everywhere and indirectly caused the battle off samar to happen with such an enormous disadvantage for taffy 3.

That's without even talking of what happened in Korea and that he wanted to start ww3 early.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SIGSEGV posted:

There was also his need to force all navy orders to go through him which caused impossible delays everywhere and indirectly caused the battle off samar to happen with such an enormous disadvantage for taffy 3.

That's without even talking of what happened in Korea and that he wanted to start ww3 early.

Samar had nothing to do with MacArthur, that was all on Halsey for failing to cover the San Bernardino strait.

Honestly MacArthur wasn't nearly as good as he thought he was, but he was by no means as incompetent as people in this thread often consider him to be.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

my war hero is eddie slovik, but i sure do like watching the pixels fight

my grandpa did some stuff too but after he got out of the military he was a mailman and that's an honorable profession right there

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How does he compare to Montgomery, though?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Unlike Montgomery, mailmen will actually deliver.

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 14, 2016

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

McArthur wasn't incompetent but he had one of the most massive egos of any commander. He's right up there with Marc Clark in doing useless stupid poo poo just to get his name in the papers.

He's also the one who thought dropping nukes on the chinese once they intervened in Korea was the best course of action.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Here are a few quotes on MacArthur from Ronald Spector's Eagle Against the Sun, indexed by page.

110 posted:

[A]lthough the bravery of his Filipino and American troops and Japanese mistakes could somewhat improve the tactical situation, they could do little to alter the effects of MacArthur's ill-conceived scheme on the United States forces' logistical system. Under MacArthur's plan for defending all of Luzon, supplies and equipment had been moved to forward areas near the beaches instead of to Bataan as they would have been under the told Orange plans. Now these same supplies had to be hurriedly transferred to Bataan. Through heroic efforts, MacArthur's staff managed to move some of the supplies from the Manila Bay area across to Bataan and Corregidor, but much had to be abandoned when the city was evacuated on December 31.

The Orange planners considered the Philippines as a whole indefensible. American forces were to withdraw to a fortified position around Manila Bay (denying it to Japan) and hold until rescue operations could be mounted. MacArthur, believed to be intimately familiar with the Philippines due to long service there, was responsible for convincing high command to shift to a beach defense.

117 posted:

As the distinguished Australian historian Gavin Long observes, "MacArthur's leadership in the Philippines had fallen short of what might have been expected from a soldier of such wide experience." Like Kimmel and Short, but with less excuse, he had allowed his air force to be crippled by surprise attacks on the first day of the war. His ill-conceived and grandiose plan to defend the entire archipelago had resulted in confusion and near disaster; it helped to produce the acute supply shortage which was sapping the strength of the Bataan forces. His grandiloquent pronouncements, together with his strange refusal to visit the front, hurt morale and shook the confidence of his men.

138 posted:

The troops on Luzon would have been defeated in any case, but without MacArthur they might have been defeated without being racked by disease and tortured by slow starvation.
[...]
MacArthur's apologists later claimed that the prolonged defense of the Philippines "disrupted the Japanese timetable" and delayed their operations against Australia, New Guinea, and the Solomons. In retrospect, this appears to be nonsense: the Japanese had no immediate plans for an invasion of Australia; their operations against New Guinea and the Solomons, not to mention the ABDACOM area, were not delayed in the least by the Philippine campaign.

I feel like this one really captures the essence of his personality:

189 posted:

General MacArthur left Melbourne for his new headquarters aboard a special train on July 21 [1942]. Behind MacArthur's maroon-colored coach, built for the Prince of Wales's visit to Australia and still bearing the royal crest, were two flatcars. The first carried MacArthur's limousine, gleaming in the afternoon sun; the second bore General Sutherland's slightly less grand Cadillac.

A steady hand and strong diplomacy in New Guinea:

190 posted:

The Japanese advance [along the Kokoda trail] caused amazement and consternation at General MacArthur's headquarters. having been assured (quite erroneously) by his staff that the Australians outnumbered the Japanese on the Kokoda trail, MacArthur could only conclude that "the Australians won't fight." Superficial inspections of "the front" by Sutherland and his staff served to reinforce the commander in chief's misgivings. As the Japanese advance continued, MacArthur's headquarters became almost panic-stricken: this looked like Malaya all over again! General H. H. Arnold, visiting MacArthur on an inspection tour in early September, was surprised to see his "hands twitch and tremble—shell shocked". Arnold departed with the impression that "the Australian is not a bushman; he is not a field soldier. He is nothing but a city slum dweller." An officer on MacArthur's staff told Admiral Nimitz that New Guinea was "gone." Prime Minister John Curtis "won't let the Americans do anything in New Guinea because of the political effect it might have" and the Australians themselves "won't fight. This war has been a series of disasters and withdrawals for them and now they have the habit."

This wouldn't be the last time he blamed Australian troops or, indeed, the Australian national character for setbacks in his theater.

217 posted:

History has not been kind to MacArthur's "striking victory" in Papua. "The only result," concluded the army's official historian, "strategically speaking, was that after six months of bitter fighting and some 8,500 casualties, including 3,000 dead, the Southwest Pacific Area was exactly where it would have been the previous July had it been able to secure the beachhead before the Japanese ever got there." Others have pointed out that the Japanese entrenched at Buna and Sanananda could have been isolated and bypassed once the Allies had secured an airstrip at Dobodura.

MacArthur himself never went near the front, relying on staff officers to keep him informed. His insistence on pressing forward with repeated frontal attacks by poorly supported infantry against a heavily dug-in enemy was reminiscent of the worst generalship of the First World War. It might have ended in the same futile slaughter had not the Japanese finally collapsed due to starvation.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

that was all on Halsey for failing to cover the San Bernardino strait.

Halsey didn't cover the San Bernardino straight because he thought it was already covered by a detachment from Oldendorf's fleet. With hindsight we know that that detachment was just hypothetical/speculative rather than an actual order that was carried out, but such a miscommunication need not have come about if MacArthur's pissing contest with Nimitz didn't unnecessarily complicate the comms set-up during the invasion.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

There's an interesting bit in max Hastings' book on the Pacific theatre, Nemesis about how macarthur was a continual wanker and essentially whiny baby throughout his entire career, except for his "redemption" during the occupation. I don't know about that (especially because I dislike Hastings) but I've yet to read a single defence of the man that would hold up to even the slightest scrutiny. The Philippines were not his personal fief, and shouldn't have been treated as such.

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Grey Hunter posted:

I have no idea why these guys thought this was a good idea. They decided to go through mined Bataan to get to the location instead of the unmined hex.

If they had gone direct to "Clark Field", instead of skirting Bataan, what kind of port, and for how long time, had you planned for all these ships to be unloaded?

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

lenoon posted:

There's an interesting bit in max Hastings' book on the Pacific theatre, Nemesis about how macarthur was a continual wanker and essentially whiny baby throughout his entire career, except for his "redemption" during the occupation. I don't know about that (especially because I dislike Hastings) but I've yet to read a single defence of the man that would hold up to even the slightest scrutiny. The Philippines were not his personal fief, and shouldn't have been treated as such.

The official historian (Morrison) is actually quite lenient with him....:)

lenoon posted:

...I've yet to read a single defence of the man that would hold up to even the slightest scrutiny.

I did try in an article posted here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/56kyr114y9zukc0/HistorumQJH+vol.2-No.3.pdf

I believe it starts on page 104. Enjoy!

fredleander fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 14, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We jump north.

Sigh.

I'm going to try a shock attack here – it might be all that is needed to break the enemy.

I hope we have driven this sub off at least.

We crack another layer of fortifications – an destroy a lot of enemy squads! This is a good day, despite what the raw numbers of losses say.

We continue to batter the Chinese across the country.

Well, that's the Manchurian garrison stripped bare. I should have the doom stacks needed to wrap China up relatively quickly. Maybe a year or two....

Bloody AI pathing.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

What this really boils down to:

Japanese weapons
7.7mm Light Machineguns x 20

American weapons
.50 Cal Heavy Machineguns x 78

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I'm going to laugh when the Americans reoccupy that base in southern Mindanao that GH landed on, took, and then immediately evacuated from.

Also, maybe taking Bataan while it's undefended would be a good plan? If nothing else, it would let you sweep the mines from the entrance to Manila Bay so that you could send battleships in to bombard the enemy in Manila.

How are you doing on oil, by the way? It looks like you haven't taken Palembang, Tarakan or Balikpapan yet, and the longer you give the Allied garrisons to dig in the more likely that you end up damaging the oil when you have to crack through fortifications.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

fredleander posted:

The official historian (Morrison) is actually quite lenient with him....:)

I did try in an article posted here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/56kyr114y9zukc0/HistorumQJH+vol.2-No.3.pdf

I believe it starts on page 104. Enjoy!

[citation needed]

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

McNally posted:

[citation needed]

I started to look through the pages in the link, but stopped when I realised that no matter what was contained in the MacArthur article it wouldn't match what I'd already seen:

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

To be fair you wouldn't have gotten further than the part where he calls Sealion a "brilliant jewel of military planning, just as one would expect from the German ubermensch!" without a hint of irony.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

HerraS posted:

To be fair you wouldn't have gotten further than the part where he calls Sealion a "brilliant jewel of military planning, just as one would expect from the German ubermensch!" without a hint of irony.

Wait, you mean he was serious?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

HerraS posted:

Holy poo poo! :lol: The Germans never even took Malta and he's praising their half-assed Sealion plans?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

HerraS posted:

Well, actually, Sealion is the sort of brilliant jewel that I would expect to see come out of the Most Glorious (And Clean, Too!) German Military.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

McNally posted:

Wait, you mean he was serious?

:norway: posted:

When I read the often somewhat degrading descriptions of him, I get the same feeling as when I first started researching the German Operation Sea Lion (Unternehmen Seelöwe), the planned invasion of England in the Fall of 1940. The Germans are often portrayed as military amateurs with little or no experience in naval warfare or amphibious operations in spite of their recent military successes on the European continent and Scandinavia and their flare for offensive improvisations and Kraftsammlung! How could this be? The conclusions reached by myself after some years of research indicated that Operation Sea Lion was quite feasible, a jewel of military planning and execution. With General Franz Halder, the venerable German Army’s Chief of Staff as its progenitor, this should surprise no one. It was German staff work at its best and most expeditious. So convinced was I that I ended up writing a book about it.
:cawg:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Alright, someone's gotta find the book now.

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

HerraS posted:

Nothing to do with ubermensch - just a question of being professional. Oh, well, they didn't expect much resistance. The German generals, that is. Adolf, of course, didn't understand poo poo. That said, it would be interesting to hear what you KNOW about Operation Sea Lion. Not just the usual feverish denial stuff....some real facts. (If you don't have any I recommend my book - https://www.fredleander.com). But, I warn you, it should be very frustrating for lovers of the Ancient Empire. Ah, you didn't know it's gone....?

I suspect you know as little about Operation Sea Lion as you know about what happened with MacArthur and the Philippines. I can recommend another book: Peter Schenk - Unternehmen Seelöwe. You don't read German?

Please....Dunkirk! After I have "Saved MacArthur" ( http://www.fredleander.com/saving-macarthur.php ) my next project is named: "Dunkirk - The Ultimate Betrayal". And I don't mean the French........Ooops, please don't start posting about Dunkirk...!

And that Germany and Italy didn't take Malta is just to show what kind of idiots their dictators were. Just my opinion. It would have been even easier than invading the UK. Well, much easier....Ooops again, please don't start posting about Malta....or Gibraltar...

Anyway, as I have stated a couple of times already I won't derail this thread - MacArthur has, after all, a distant connection with the subject in hand, that of the Superior Race securing their Co-Prosperity Sphere. I didn't draw the Sea Lion out of the cabinet. Not this time, anyway. But you guys are free to continue to wring out your despair....:)

fredleander fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 14, 2016

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

This thread is already weirder than the whole last one put together.

Please Grey, save us! Sink the enterprise!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

lenoon posted:

This thread is already weirder than the whole last one put together.

Please Grey, save us! Sink the enterprise!

This thread is getting exponentially more entertaining actually.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
:munch:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

fredleander posted:

Nothing to do with ubermensch - just a question of being professional. Oh, well, they didn't expect much resistance. The German generals, that is. Adolf, of course, didn't understand poo poo. That said, it would be interesting to hear what you KNOW about Operation Sea Lion. Not just the usual feverish denial stuff....some real facts. (If you don't have any I recommend my book - https://www.fredleander.com). But, I warn you, it should be very frustrating for lovers of the Ancient Empire. Ah, you didn't know it's gone....?

I suspect you know as little about Operation Sea Lion as you know about what happened with MacArthur and the Philippines. I can recommend another book: Peter Schenk - Unternehmen Seelöwe. You don't read German?

Please....Dunkirk! After I have "Saved MacArthur" ( http://www.fredleander.com/saving-macarthur.php ) my next project is named: "Dunkirk - The Ultimate Betrayal". And I don't mean the French........Ooops, please don't starting posting about Dunkirk...!

And that Germany and Italy didn't take Malta is just to show what kind of idiots their dictators were. Just my opinion. It would have been even easier than invading the UK. Well, much easier....Ooops again, please don't start posting about Malta....or Gibraltar...

Anyway, as I have stated a couple of times already I won't derail this thread - MacArthur has, after all, a distant connection with the subject in hand, that of the Superior Race securing their Co-Prosperity Sphere. I didn't draw the Sea Lion out of the cabinet. Not this time, anyway. But you guys are free to continue to wring out your despair....:)

Fred I just wanna take this moment to seriously encourage you to take your claims to our resident military-historian thread so I can read their reactions:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585027

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

fredleander posted:

Please....Dunkirk! After I have "Saved MacArthur" ( http://www.fredleander.com/saving-macarthur.php ) my next project is named: "Dunkirk - The Ultimate Betrayal". And I don't mean the French........Ooops, please don't start posting about Dunkirk...!

Please, refute the points in the following essay about the infesability of Sealion. http://www.philmasters.org.uk/SF/Sealion.htm