Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Haha Spice Channel. I grew up outside the Battle Creek Michigan area, and in that city that channel was notorious because the local Cablevision company did about the most :effort: job at scrambling the signal. They'd just kinda make the picture look diagonal with color issues, and then wouldn't touch the sound. You could totally watch anything on there at like 85% clarity on a bad day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost
It's late 90s, but it checks out. This song was everywhere. Inescapable. Ubiquitous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_cILjrO23U

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Iron Crowned posted:

Goddamn, that looks terrible. Although I always got poo poo for it because my family had Macs, and Doom wasn't available until 1996, I really am glad that Bungie existed to make a drat good although highly underappreciated game called Marathon. One of my favorite things to do was change around and jack up the monster respawn rates on multiplayer maps, and use the level skip cheat to just shoot the poo poo out of everything until I died, I wasted so many hours doing that while listening to the alternative rock radio station.

It wouldn't really fly today unfortunately, because you had to read everything. On the other hand it was the first FPS that used ammo clips, and had a cohesive story years before Half-Life got all the credit. I really do recommend downloading it and giving it a go for seeing what my gaming experience was like in 1994. It's free and open source here: https://alephone.lhowon.org/

The original interface looked like this (the open source version is a re-skinned version of the Marathon 2 interface) :

Also it came in a box that looked like this (except blue) :

Marathon Infinity is one of my favorite games. To me, the Marathon games are the best told stories in video gaming. The story page still exists and it looks exactly the same. Some of my theories are up there

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's 90s as gently caress; talking about what PC games we're playing and our one mac owning friend saying "Marathon is better than any of those".

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

That's 90s as gently caress; talking about what PC games we're playing and our one mac owning friend saying "Marathon is better than any of those".

Well, Mac owners only had 19 games

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

19?

It was always Marathon, Escape Velocity, and the toaster oven screensaver.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Yeah I think your decimal place needs to move to the left.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

I knew I should have looked up the date but it's still pretty goddamn 90s

Here's a music video from 1992 which also uses terrifying early CGI.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

I love bizarre "X-TREME in your face with ATTITUDE!" video game ads from the 90s. For some reason people thought shock factor and jarring words/visuals alone could move products. If the 80s were fueled by cocaine, then the 90s were fueled by... I don't know? Ecstasy? Slim Jims and Go-gurt?

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

If the 80s were fueled by cocaine, then the 90s were fueled by... I don't know? Ecstasy? Slim Jims and Go-gurt?

Bill Clinton style arrogance

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rambling Robot posted:

Bill Clinton style arrogance

Yeah, that. Or whatever powered Bart Simpson.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Yeah, that. Or whatever powered Bart Simpson.

Butterfinger BBs.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Shigeru Miyamoto is gonna poo poo down your neck hole

SUCK IT UP

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Butterfinger BBs.

Don't you lay a finger on myyyy Butterfinger!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Don't you lay a finger on myyyy Butterfinger!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The soundtrack to this game was loving rad

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
For whatever reason this song popped into my head at random. After looking it up on youtube I had to share it. Quite possibly already posted, but I'm not about to check over a thousand posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEK8kAhV9s

7c Nickel has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Jan 14, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWu3JqLMImY

That wonderful 90s dance track that will full of new age love everyone bullshit. Also featured oiled up Jason Statham as a backup dancer.

You forget how many 90s dance tracks have rap verses.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
90s eurodance is like the only dance/electronic music I've ever liked. Mr. Vain :unsmith:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN8e9b2ON8s

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

This was recomended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkEXGgdqMz8

if the video was just the Amazon member of the band, it would be the best video ever.

https://youtu.be/xSSgmWXjwEI?list=PLVf3PXRSPQRarUyt_B_X7O1fm9mGpeqn4
In the 90s, I'd have Dune as one of my interest on early social media things, and people would constantly talk to me about this song. I'd answer "uh I'm talking about the books" and they were confused.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The loving 2 Unlimited video is the perfect example of just how much money the music industry was pulling in at the time. They built a elaborate giant pinball set for a group mainly known for making terrible jock jams.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The loving 2 Unlimited video is the perfect example of just how much money the music industry was pulling in at the time. They built a elaborate giant pinball set for a group mainly known for making terrible jock jams.

2 Unlimited had 11 number 1s in England

They sold 18 million copies

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The video for Scream was over a million dollars, I think.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

90s never coming back lol

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking back on it as an adult, instead of a teen, grunge seemingly came out of nowhere.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

whiteyfats posted:

Looking back on it as an adult, instead of a teen, grunge seemingly came out of nowhere.

It really did. Like, there were a couple of odd early acts like Alice in Chains or whoever that slid in under the metal banner, but it was seemingly like overnight that suddenly Nirvana was on the scene and every white kid's favorite band.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Choco1980 posted:

It really did. Like, there were a couple of odd early acts like Alice in Chains or whoever that slid in under the metal banner, but it was seemingly like overnight that suddenly Nirvana was on the scene and every white kid's favorite band.

Right? Like, it went from Poison and other cock rock bands to Alice In Chains, Nirvana and Stone Temple Pilots seemingly overnight.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's because "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was picked up by MTV and became the number-one video, and it just snowballed from there.

It's interesting because I've read these interviews that guys like Joe Elliott and Nikki Sixx did circa 1989/1990 and they're all saying hair metal is on the way out and something new is on the verge of replacing it as the biggest mainstream rock genre, but they seemed to think it would be Metallica and Anthrax breaking through and becoming mainstream stars.

For a while, just before Nirvana showed up and Metallica were number one with the Black Album, it probably looked like they were right, too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Choco1980 posted:

Them and Soundgarden I remember being out just before Nirvana broke. But yea, it was a weird time because it was a huge sea change that came almost over night.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it's because "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was picked up by MTV and became the number-one video, and it just snowballed from there.

It's interesting because I've read these interviews that guys like Joe Elliott and Nikki Sixx did circa 1989/1990 and they're all saying hair metal is on the way out and something new is on the verge of replacing it as the biggest mainstream rock genre, but they seemed to think it would be Metallica and Anthrax breaking through and becoming mainstream stars.

For a while, just before Nirvana showed up and Metallica were number one with the Black Album, it probably looked like they were right, too.

That reminds me how in the late 90s it looked like the next big thing was going to be techno/edm/electronic/whatever you want to call it, Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Crystal Method, Prodigy, Moby, and others all where huge hits, dominating the charts. But it lasted less than a year, because then Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears came out and bam, it was Boy Bands and poptarts suddenly.

I guess the Rap Metal was an reaction against that.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 04:50 on Jan 15, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I kinda see grunge as like a backlash against how downright silly and commercialized the early 90s were getting, where the decade still hadn't figured out its look or sound yet post 80s (every decade takes a few years to really find its "identity"). I never really thought it was as mind-blowing as my peers did, but I certainly understand why it existed when it did.

Gangsta rap was kind of the same way with the hip hop world at roughly the same time really.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There was a book I read about top albums of the 90s, and it talks about how as the 80s ended and the 90s started, Rap and Hip Hop were looking like they'd be a musical genre that entered the mainstream with most of its artistic integrity intact, and then Vanilla Ice and Mc Hammer happened.

It's probably over estimating the popularity of rap and hip hop that didn't fall in the Party Rap, but I think its mostly right.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's easy to look at golden age hip-hop and overestimate how popular - at least in terms of record sales - the groups who have stood the test of time were in their day. It's a bit like Little Richard and Chuck Berry in the 1950s; big stars who were enormously successful, but the second-biggest artist of the decade after Elvis was Pat Boone.

Here's a factoid for you: much is made of how Nevermind knocked Dangerous by Michael Jackson off number one on the Billboard 200 (which was a big achievement, make no mistake) but it was there for one week, then it was itself replaced by Ropin' the Wind by Garth Brooks, which was number one for 10 weeks and became the biggest album of 1992.

Going by how many albums he sold, you could argue that Garth Brooks was the most popular recording artist of the 1990s.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

twistedmentat posted:

There was a book I read about top albums of the 90s, and it talks about how as the 80s ended and the 90s started, Rap and Hip Hop were looking like they'd be a musical genre that entered the mainstream with most of its artistic integrity intact, and then Vanilla Ice and Mc Hammer happened.

It's probably over estimating the popularity of rap and hip hop that didn't fall in the Party Rap, but I think its mostly right.

The thing about that theory that strikes me as a bit off is that rap was already pretty well established in the mainstream pop world of the 80s. It had already entered the mainstream with integrity intact, with artists like Run DMC, LL Cool J, Sugarhill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, the Beastie Boys and others all appearing at the top of the Billboard charts regularly. It was closer to the mid-late 80s when you started to see overproduced albums from guys like MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice that were specifically trying to appeal to a wider pop audience. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they weren't legitimate artists or they weren't legit rap albums, it just seemed like a new kind of genre emerging since the production style was significantly poppier (and purposely so) than the majority of rap albums had been before. Almost immediately though groups like Public Enemy and Boogie Down Productions and artists like Ice T and Schoolly D (who all started up around the mid 80s) started gaining more widespread popularity outside of their core rap audiences who were already a large group. By the late 80s/early 90s there was an explosion of serious artists from the Native Tongues movement (De La, Tribe, Jungle Brothers, etc) and the west coast gangster guys who then blew up even more once Dre came out with The Chronic.

At least that's how I remember it seeming to unfold when I was growing up, I'm sure my details are probably off in some spots. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was an interesting time for music, and an awesome time if you were a rap fan in particular.

E: Something else to remember about that time as far as judging popularity and success is that album sales weren't necessarily the sole make or break factor of an artists standing like they are today. They were a big part of it, of course, but airplay on radio and TV were a huge part of how they decided to continue developing and supporting an artist. Now if you're not making at least gold right out of the gate you're hosed, but there really was a time when bean counters weren't the guys making the call on who gets the push and who gets dropped. I was lucky enough to catch the tail end of the good times when I got my first recording studio job back in the summer of 95, and it was pretty awesome. Of course they didn't last (the good times I mean, the job lasted a good long time; 20+ years later I'm still going!) but nothing lasts forever.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 12:59 on Jan 15, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Mentalizer posted:

At least that's how I remember it seeming to unfold when I was growing up, I'm sure my details are probably off in some spots. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was an interesting time for music, and an awesome time if you were a rap fan in particular.

In your recollection, how did people feel about Will Smith beating Public Enemy for the first ever hip-hop Grammy Award? I know it's seen as a bit of a joke in retrospect, but I honestly don't know what people thought of Will Smith as a hip-hop artist before The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air came out.

quote:

E: Something else to remember about that time as far as judging popularity and success is that album sales weren't necessarily the sole make or break factor of an artists standing like they are today. They were a big part of it, of course, but airplay on radio and TV were a huge part of how they decided to continue developing and supporting an artist. Now if you're not making at least gold right out of the gate you're hosed, but there really was a time when bean counters weren't the guys making the call on who gets the push and who gets dropped.

I don't know - albums don't really sell like they used to unless your name is Taylor Swift or Adele. Thanks to iTunes, you can just download the one song you want rather than shelling out for the whole thing.

Billy Ray Cyrus's second album was considered a disappointment when it came out in 1994 or so because it "only" ended up selling about two million copies. :D

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Before being a prime time safe-for-whites actor, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince were usually seen as jokey but talented, kinda like Beastie Boys at the time. And much like them, popular with white kids in the suburbs because of it. I can't say how people handled Public Enemy losing to them, but it couldn't have been as outrageous as Jethro Tull winning the first Metal Grammy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ha, Tenacious D won the Best Metal Grammy in 2015

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Wheat Loaf posted:

In your recollection, how did people feel about Will Smith beating Public Enemy for the first ever hip-hop Grammy Award? I know it's seen as a bit of a joke in retrospect, but I honestly don't know what people thought of Will Smith as a hip-hop artist before The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air came out.

I definitely remember people being disappointed about that. I think in general people considered him a good rapper but he was absolutely thought of as a pop artist and not really a serious artist like Chuck D. He wasn't considered a joke like Hammer or Vanilla Ice, and he obviously had skills, but his appeal was concentrated more in the younger high school demographic so you never saw cars rolling down the street bumping "Parents Just Don't Understand" on their system. Interestingly, though, Jazzy Jeff was/is considered one of the best DJs around. He was kind of a wunderkind if I recall correctly, and even the real serious guys I've worked with thought very highly of his skills. I don't think a lot of people are aware of that, since he's most popularly known for being the other half of the Fresh Prince act so most people not in the know just assume he's the DJ equivalent of Will Smith.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know - albums don't really sell like they used to unless your name is Taylor Swift or Adele. Thanks to iTunes, you can just download the one song you want rather than shelling out for the whole thing.

Billy Ray Cyrus's second album was considered a disappointment when it came out in 1994 or so because it "only" ended up selling about two million copies. :D

Oh yeah, that's actually what I meant. I probably could have been clearer, but I meant sales in general and not just album sales in particular. Albums, singles, downloads, whatever form someone can buy music, those numbers became the biggest factor in whether an artist's career lives or dies and I think the industry's suffered for it.

E:

Choco1980 posted:

I can't say how people handled Public Enemy losing to them, but it couldn't have been as outrageous as Jethro Tull winning the first Metal Grammy.

It's funny you mention that, I was gonna bring it up as a similar type of thing but I remember there being a lot more vitriol being hurled about over that screw up than for the Fresh Prince/PE one. I think the difference, or at least part of it, is that the Jethro Tull/Metallica gently caress up was due to the academy being just plain clueless whereas the Fresh Prince/PE switcheroo absolutely smacks of them choosing the safest option of what was to them a group of scary musical upstarts. I know it's cliche to blame racism for that kind of thing but in my experience the guys who did the voting for Grammies were definitely racist when it came to rap joining the other genres. Not in the cross burning/KKK kind of way, but moreso in the 'entrenched old white men' institutional kind of way where they don't think they're being racist but it's still an undercurrent that influences what they say and do.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 13:32 on Jan 15, 2016

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was the early 90s the last gasp of Adult Contemporary? Ya know, Rod Stewart (who I like :colbert:), Michael Bolton, Amy Grant...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Mentalizer posted:

Oh yeah, that's actually what I meant. I probably could have been clearer, but I meant sales in general and not just album sales in particular. Albums, singles, downloads, whatever form someone can buy music, those numbers became the biggest factor in whether an artist's career lives or dies and I think the industry's suffered for it.

I suppose a lot of it is streaming nowadays, and your social media profile (I think Billboard actually has a chart which registers artists' current impact on social media). There's outliers like Adele, but it seems to me as though you can't really go away for two or three years like you once could to make your next album; you need to keep yourself out there. The only comparable example I can think of is Wayne Cochran, who became a decently popular artist in the late 1960s despite never having a national hit, because he was constantly touring and appeared on all the top talk shows like Jackie Gleason's programme.

I was recently reading this book about the development of the Chitlin' Circuit (I recommend it to anyone who's interested in such things; it's by a guy called Preston Lauterbach, who I believe is a music journalist) which talks about how in the 1920s, you didn't make money from your recordings unless you were the leader of a big-name orchestra like Duke Ellington or Cab Calloway, so you had to keep your band on the road. Then it all changed in the 1940s and 1950s, when Louis Jordan popularised small R&B groups, big bands became too expensive to keep going, and you could earn millions with your records without ever having to tour.

A time when the record industry was run by mobsters, rather than accountants. :D

I don't suppose you could recommend any good books about the development of hip-hop (whether as a music genre and a cultural phenomenon, I'm interested in both)?

whiteyfats posted:

Was the early 90s the last gasp of Adult Contemporary? Ya know, Rod Stewart (who I like :colbert:), Michael Bolton, Amy Grant...

More or less. I think it's "adult alternative" now, which I believe is stuff like Train.