Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the thread has taken a good turn, at least if you hope to answer the topic.

Ok how about this perspective: can you imagine a possible world where you would be, or where you-right-now hope you-in-this-world would be, a "Racial Realist"? An adherent to the Dork Enlightenment?

For example, imagine a world where it is true that (quoting Wikipedia) "a great, on-going sacrifice sustains the Universe. Everything is tonacayotl: the "spiritual flesh-hood" on earth. Everything —earth, crops, moon, stars and people— springs from the severed or buried bodies, fingers, blood or the heads of the sacrificed gods. Humanity itself is macehualli, "those deserved and brought back to life through penance"." It is true the Gods demand human life; and they will richly reward those who die on the altar, by sending them to the second-highest heaven (the highest heaven is for children who die in infancy).
In that world, if not only this were true, but if you were absolutely convinced that this is the state of the world, deeper than any conviction you hold right now, would you be pro human sacrifice?

Imagine a world where Jews, under the definition of Jew given by the Nürnberg laws, actually conspire to destroy the West and try to drive the countries of Europe against each other. Also in this world, Slavs are truly, by genetic determination, and homogeneously, less creative and less civilized than their Western neighbors. Would you view the Nazis as a little less crazy in this world? Probably. Would you support Death Camps and the starvation of the east? Probably not - but you'd probably view them as ever so slightly less monstrous.

So in what possible world would you be a "Race Realist"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would probably be extremely racist if I lived in a pen and paper RPG setting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cingulate posted:

It is true the Gods demand human life; and they will richly reward those who die on the altar, by sending them to the second-highest heaven (the highest heaven is for children who die in infancy).
In that world, if not only this were true, but if you were absolutely convinced that this is the state of the world, deeper than any conviction you hold right now, would you be pro human sacrifice?
In that world I would be mostly pro infanticide. The logical endpoint of that society would be to kill everyone in infancy and then have everyone remaining kill themselves on an altar.
Do aborted fetuses go to the highest heaven too?

OwlFancier posted:

But not against owlbears?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah to be honest I'd only be a race realist if there were, in fact, actual major differences on that level but even then it'd be hard to justify telling an individual orc that he wasn't allowed to study math because orcs are, on average, less intelligent than other races.

But see that doesn't mean an individual orc is necessarily stupid. Though his race's average intelligence is 8 the -2 means that the natural maximum is still 16 which is still pretty drat smart even by the standards of other races. From a purely mechanical standpoint, anyway; even then it's tough to say "orcs can never be smart" when their average is less smart. Even if a stereotype has some truth to it you can't use it to predict how a specific individual will act.

Granted in my own D&D world I made one of the most powerful wizards alive a troll so what do I know.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

"But they're always Chaotic Evil! The Monster Manual justifies my actions!"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Anticheese posted:

That sounds a lot more like what the general rear end in a top hat portion of the right thinks about Muslims. NRx dweebs seem too busy drawing bell curves and writing thousands of :words: to come out with a simple statement of hate like that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

But not against owlbears?

I do not care for miscegenation thank you very much.

Anticheese posted:

It's mildly terrifying to consider what would happen if somebody got their hands on the monster manual for the reality we live in.

Though possibly less terrifying than if someone got their hands on the player's handbook.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
If you guys want to understand these guys, why don't you go to one of their subreddits/forums and ask them what they're all about? :confused:

This thread is just a bunch of circle-jerking about how awful people who have right-wing opinions are.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You don't have need to go to their forums, they are more than happy to shout their anti-social beliefs onto the internet as is, so you just look at that and them mock them.

I also don't think the "but what if racism was REAL" thought experiment is that useful. Human history as we know out would be completely unintelligible to us, no existing patterns would apply. Racist are racists in spite of actual history, it's not just an interpretive difference. You may as well ask if the world were flat.

All culture, language, arts, they all express the same humanity if you even have a passing familiarity with them. They all descend from, and mingle with, each other when given the chance.

A much better thought experiment, to empathize, is to think what mental state would you be on to be able to ignore that, what fear and hate would you have to feel to think the way they do.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Number Two Stunna posted:

If you guys want to understand these guys, why don't you go to one of their subreddits/forums and ask them what they're all about? :confused:

This thread is just a bunch of circle-jerking about how awful people who have right-wing opinions are.

The whole point of mock threads is to be able to enjoy horrible people being insane on the internet at a safe remove without having to engage in the soul-deadening experience of trawling through literal hate sites. I mean look at these guys, and then seriously ask yourself if you really want to stick your dick in that blender for any extended period of time.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah to be honest I'd only be a race realist if there were, in fact, actual major differences on that level but even then it'd be hard to justify telling an individual orc that he wasn't allowed to study math because orcs are, on average, less intelligent than other races.

But see that doesn't mean an individual orc is necessarily stupid. Though his race's average intelligence is 8 the -2 means that the natural maximum is still 16 which is still pretty drat smart even by the standards of other races. From a purely mechanical standpoint, anyway; even then it's tough to say "orcs can never be smart" when their average is less smart. Even if a stereotype has some truth to it you can't use it to predict how a specific individual will act.

Granted in my own D&D world I made one of the most powerful wizards alive a troll so what do I know.
Ok but the trick is not: what is the morally justifiable response to living in such-and-such world? The trick is, in what world do you think one ought to be a "race realist"?

OwlFancier posted:

It's mildly terrifying to consider what would happen if somebody got their hands on the monster manual for the reality we live in.
Why? How?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cingulate posted:

Ok but the trick is not: what is the morally justifiable response to living in such-and-such world? The trick is, in what world do you think one ought to be a "race realist"?
Why? How?

Only in a world where every member of one race has a certain trait and another does not. If you had a world where, say, one race was completely unintelligent beyond words with two syllables and very basic math then I could see being a "race realist" about them because then the reality is that that race isn't bright at all and can't accomplish much intellectually.

It would have to be pretty drastic, though. I'm talking an entire race of people that would all be mentally retarded by human standards.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can you imagine what would happen if the bible was literally and undeniably true, and it told you every meaningful functional detail about everything in the world?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Even the bits that contradict the other bits?

I'd think having the monster manual for the reality we live in would be useful if only to determine whether Stephen Fry is really in there or not. They'd keep on bringing out new editions though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Even the bits that contradict the other bits?

I'd think having the monster manual for the reality we live in would be useful if only to determine whether Stephen Fry is really in there or not. They'd keep on bringing out new editions though.

The bits that contradict the other bits would presumably be the footnotes for the tarrasque.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Only in a world where every member of one race has a certain trait and another does not. If you had a world where, say, one race was completely unintelligent beyond words with two syllables and very basic math then I could see being a "race realist" about them because then the reality is that that race isn't bright at all and can't accomplish much intellectually.

It would have to be pretty drastic, though. I'm talking an entire race of people that would all be mentally retarded by human standards.
Okay. From this exercise, have we learned anything about "Race Realists"?

Also, would you say that's a pretty high standard, or a reasonable standard, for you to accept "Race Realism"?

OwlFancier posted:

Can you imagine what would happen if the bible was literally and undeniably true, and it told you every meaningful functional detail about everything in the world?
Ignoring the contradictions part: well I guess a bit - Ted Chiang wrote a fantastic story about that.

On the other hand, millions of people literally did, and even do, believe that. A lot of them much smarter than me, too.

But I don't see how you've answered my question.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then I'm not sure i understand what your question is.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The question seems to be "if race realism was correct, and you knew it was correct, would you believe in it?"

Cingulate posted:

Nothing new. "Race realists" have an extremely low bar for evidence supporting "race realism," because it's something they really want to be true. Asking us to imagine a world where they have better evidence does not change this world in the slightest.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cingulate posted:

Nothing, really. Race realists are idiots grasping for any excuse to justify their racism. That isn't news.

The differences between races on Earth aren't that huge. The biggest difference is what horrifying genetic diseases a specific ethnicity is prone to. We all have them so it isn't like you can argue inferiority on that one either.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cingulate posted:

I don't think he's posted in this thread in awhile.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

Ignoring the contradictions part: well I guess a bit - Ted Chiang wrote a fantastic story about that.

I might be misremembering, but I felt like he cheated by making hell not actually that lovely.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Ok I'm going to attempt to express some things that I feel might help to better understand the Dark Enlightenment and extreme reactionary movements in general, but bear with me because it might be a bit counter-intuitive to most and I might be approaching this from a somewhat different angle that what I've read so far in this thread.

So where do such ideas come from originally? I feel there's a somewhat mistaken intuition that some hosed up people somewhere in their basement come up with them and spread them on the internet and that they then somehow seep through and contaminate the mainstream culture and "normal" conservative ideology etc from such initial echo-chamber nuclei of extremism.
I really don't see things that way. I propose that neoreaction is actually better understood as a "distilled" form of what is quite simply the dominant ideology of our society. Its origin is not to be found within a few deranged minds but inside the very structure of how our entire civilization and its whole set of institutions are organized. Most people do not really think things through to the extent that proponents of NRx do, and are able to hold completely contradictory beliefs and values about society without ever being put in a context where they have to confront and resolve them. That is, most people actually have already internalized the logic of neoreaction simply by virtue of having existed within contemporary society since birth, but have done so on a completely unconscious level, and in their conscious lives are able to operate always in complete denial about it. The people who turn neoreactionary are those who find themselves in a situation where for whatever reason "not thinking about uncomfortable things too much" is no longer the easiest thing to do.

The set of institutions I'm referring to include things like, the nation-state, the military, the police force, borders, private property, the education system, prisons, the justice system, citizenship, the job market, etc. These things did not always exist, they all appeared in their modern form more or less around the same period of history, they are now a fact of reality pretty much everywhere on the planet whether we like it or not, and we as individual humans have to deal with their existence. These are also all institutions that both liberals and conservatives will defend as being necessary, good, legitimate, etc. Our entire society is organized around them and around the ideological justifications of "individual freedom" and "meritocracy".

Everyone in our society learns pretty early on, by going through the school system, that not only are we not all equal, but that society is everywhere attributing value to us along certain metrics. We are taught that people who get better grades are "better" than people who get bad grades, they will go on in life to be more respected, have more power, etc. They also "deserve" this. This continues in adult life where our value on the job market varies wildly and where some of us are just deemed to be worth more than others by society, to get promoted, etc. Others end up becoming incarcerated and this is also something they "deserve". This is a fundamental fact of existence in class society and is so hegemonic as to be something that we barely ever think about. Most kids are not stupid and they also figure out easily that the value placed upon various human lives tend to be highly correlated with things like race and gender, that there's a clear pattern there. Some "kinds" of people will tend to be successful and others not, some "kinds" of people will tend to be criminals and others not. However what they quickly learn is that you are not allowed to say that out loud. You get heavily punished through social policing if you dare externalize the observation that white men tend to be "better" along the very same values that you are forcefully socialized into accepting. This is taboo and to exist within this society you have to both internalize its hierarchy as legitimate and just, and pretend that its organization is based purely on "merit" and "individual choices" which are things that are constructed to have nothing to do with the context in which someone is born. This is the fundamental contradiction at the core of our ideology. The closer you get to the ideological apparatus, the more important your voice or the better access you have to a public platform, the stronger this taboo become. So if you're condemned to obscurity in a low-paying job where you don't have any contact with the public, nobody really cares that much that you're a huge racist, or that you don't give a gently caress about following the rules, but if you go to university, go into politics, the media, management, etc you have to learn pretty quickly to suppress and hide these feelings you might have about the (actually quite obvious) logic of very the processes that put you there in the first place.

This is why reactionaries complain so much about "political correctness" (or "the cathedral" in NRx terms), they identify this superego pressure to suppress, to live in denial about our own omnipresent racism, and it feels to them like an absurd oppression because they've fully internalized the actual, underlying and unconscious, racist and sexist, values of our society. They cannot stand these contradictions. They see this performance of liberalism as a giant hypocrisy and in that, they are correct. They find pleasure in transgression: laughing at racist jokes feels liberating when you've internalized both the racism and the social pressure to deny it.

Both liberals and reactionaries have accepted the notion that IQ is an objective measurement of something called "intelligence" which is a neutral measure of a person's worth. They also both have accepted the notion that law and order is good and that commiting a crime is bad, that criminals should be put in jail etc. When the reactionary then encounters the statistical fact that white people have a higher IQ than black people on average, or that there are a lot more black people in prison, this takes on the allure of having discovered a hidden knowledge. When the reactionary then sees that liberals are made uncomfortable by those facts and that they'd rather pretend they don't exist or not think about them too hard, the reactionary is vindicated in his belief that he holds some secret truth which is being suppressed by the "cathedral" and it's quasi-religious faith in complete contradictions.
Of course, there is another possible way of resolving these contradiction, and that is to fully reject the very legitimacy of these constructions, of the institutions of power, and by extension the logic of our entire society. To see them as the tools of patriarchy and white supremacy that they are, and to assert that there is nothing good, true, natural or universal about their justificating ideology, that our entire civilization has been constructed to enable the brutal oppression and exploitation of some groups by others. This is something that is quite difficult to do when you have been given any stake at all in the system, as most of us have. If you are anything other than an outright criminal, a self-destructing political radical, or maybe a rare tenured postmodern academic, your entire identity and sense of self-worth, your entire hope for continued existence, is based on the position that you've been given within the system, and climbing its hierarchy is probably what all your desires revolve around in some way or another.
But most people never have to resolve these contradictions at all, it's completely possible to hold them in mind without ever being force to confront them. It is a constant source of anxiety for many liberals for sure, but it's completely possible to live your entire life in denial like that, or selectively picking and choosing what parts of society you reject (the ones you don't have a stake in personally). In some ways living like that is actually a privilege though, it's the situation that liberal professionals and educated people find themselves in. They get to convince themselves both that they're "good people" and better than the stupid redneck racists and sexists, and also that they deserve the position of privilege that they've been given by a society which is fundamentally just and good except for a few "bad apples" or for exceptional "corruption".

As soon as they start being affected directly though, a liberal will usually turn into a reactionary. As soon as their own personal involvement in racist/sexist structures are what's being examined they'll lash out and defend their fragile privileged ego at any costs. As soon as a liberal white male professor starts getting students that ask why 90% of the authors in the syllabus are white males, he'll start writing online op-eds about how safe spaces on campus are destroying free speech or whatever.
Many liberals are happy to self-congratulate and feel superior by making fun of the xenophobe right-wing racists who are afraid of refugees, but ask them if they think borders should be fully open and they'll probably say no, they'll probably defend the idea that borders should exist, that they should be guarded by an armed force, that people born inside them deserve citizenship and the right to vote and state services and people born outside them don't, and they'll make up some story about why all of this is necessary and good while being completely oblivious to the ways this system reproduces the very racism they like to make fun of. What should be done with the people who are willing to risk their lives to cross the border illegally? What happens when oppressed groups are willing to confront the police in large numbers and break the law and risk their lives to liberate themselves and destroy the old society? Good liberals don't think about these questions too much, until they are forced to do it by circumstances, at which point they might very well turn out to be reactionaries.

Bob le Moche fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 14, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is an interesting view, and what you say about the 'liberal contradiction' goes back to the dawn of liberalism with liberal philosophers tripping over one another over whether it's more illiberal for a tyrant to deprive a slaveholder of his property or for a free government to allow him to keep slaves.

What interests me is, upon seeing all of these contradictions of liberalism, on uncovering the 'great scam', why did they they opt for the pre-liberalism view of "that's a dumb argument, but it's right for a tyrant to keep slaves" rather than the opposite direction of anarchism?

Is it just them desperately clinging to their place in society, or is there something else at work?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
It's partly because you can see all those contradictions and decide that the thing to do is fight them rather than embrace them. That's why the NRx hates SJWs so much. Nobody is worse than the person who sees the same problems you do and comes to the opposite conclusion about what to do about them.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This view isn't new, but it's also simplistic. You have an incredibly distorted view of liberalism if you think they are the people who can't deal with facts. The people most guilty of distorting truth or propagating lies are the echo chambers like Brietbart. The absolutely shamelessness of these distortions is unique to the far right. Hell, the presidential candidate who has said the most number of disprovable lies is the one pandering to reaction, Trump, and it's not even close . Those facts about black incarceration and crime are often completely fabricated by reactionary movements on places like twitter, and you won't know unless you actually look up the real ones. That contradicts your 'hidden truth' narrative. That and its not really hidden anymore, people broadly know that minorities are disadvantaged, and unfairly so, hence policies to try and give them a leg up. This isn't unspoken, it's common knowledge.

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

rudatron posted:

This view isn't new, but it's also simplistic. You have an incredibly distorted view of liberalism if you think they are the people who can't deal with facts. The people most guilty of distorting truth or propagating lies are the echo chambers like Brietbart. The absolutely shamelessness of these distortions is unique to the far right. Hell, the presidential candidate who has said the most number of disprovable lies is the one pandering to reaction, Trump, and it's not even close . Those facts about black incarceration and crime are often completely fabricated by reactionary movements on places like twitter, and you won't know unless you actually look up the real ones. That contradicts your 'hidden truth' narrative. That and its not really hidden anymore, people broadly know that minorities are disadvantaged, and unfairly so, hence policies to try and give them a leg up. This isn't unspoken, it's common knowledge.

trump said that because he wanted the media to correct him, same thing nixon did

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
But he also purposefully keeps saying outrageous poo poo to continually shift attention away from his own distortions, hypocrisy and lies. By the time the old one is being fact checked, he's moved onto a new one. Does that sound like the strategy of someone dedicated to showing people hidden truths, or someone who's maliciously figured out how to exploit the media cycle to the detriment of society as a whole?

By why do it at all? Because it's not about facts, it's about signaling. Reactionaries are filled with fear and hate, so the big man promises to Attack The Other and they flock.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The psychology is an archetype the populace are well aware of, thanks. Tumblr on Kylo Ren from the new Star Wars:

wyattsalazar posted:

General ideology: Reactionary, the First Order wing. I was redpilled by Snoke. The tl;dr. version is this: optimize for intelligence, optimize for dark side (As much as possible in a declining galaxy) and select for a complacent population.

Dude is such a whiny privileged edgelord.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

You presume they understand themselves enough to offer insight into their condition. If they possessed self-awareness they wouldn't do half the things they do.

This thread's not objective but at least it's not delusional. Some things are better understood from the outside looking in.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Having a worldview that contains contradictions isn't bad. It's necessary. The fact that liberalism is rife with contradiction and compromise to accommodate it's imperfect human constituents is it's strength.

Only sick ideology tries to purge the contradictions.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't know of a single liberal that views IQ tests as a "neutral indication of intelligence" or whatever. IQ tests are flawed and generally only measure your ability to take IQ tests. So that's probably not a great example of liberal hypocrisy.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Do you think there's something they're about that this thread has missed?

And while I think "right-wing" is too broad a characterization for the people and ideas this thread is about, I would say that mockery is a good and healthy reaction to things that are repugnant.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

What Bob is talking about is the standard internal struggle that happens when someone believes in the liberal ideal of "all men are created equal" and the Just World Fallacy simultaneously, both of which are strongly ingrained in most people from a young age. Then they run into the facts of life, like "convicts are disproportionately black" and "high-level executives and politicians are disproportionately white dudes," and cognitive dissonance kicks in. Either the world is just and everyone gets what they deserve based on merit, in which case you have to conclude that white dudes are just better than everyone else; or all men are created equal, in which case you have to conclude the world is profoundly unjust. Accepting the former is a path to various reactionary ideologies, while the latter pulls you in the direction of the various ideologies I'll just clump together as SJW because that's apparently what we do now. Or you could go the third path, ignore the cognitive dissonance, and just carry on believing both things. The fact that the third path is the most popular lets people in the other two groups get all smug about how they've seen through society's lies / taken the red pill / whatever.

The rest of his post is just dousing that basic idea in some standard :ussr: jargon, like the weird claim that the Just World Fallacy is somehow unique to capitalism.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If liberals really had that much in common with reactionaries, reactionaries wouldn't try to silence or murder us every time they get even close to power.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

If liberals really had that much in common with reactionaries, reactionaries wouldn't try to silence or murder us every time they get even close to power.

Really? You seen what these fuckers are like to each other, right?

I don't remotely believe that liberals and reactionaries are two sides of the same coin, but that's an amusingly bad argument.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Bob le Moche posted:

laughing at racist jokes feels liberating when you've internalized both the racism and the social pressure to deny it.

This is a really good explanation of why legitimately racist jokes are sometimes defended as "satire": the defender is aware of both the harmful social implications of the joke, and has internalized or is familiar to the racist ideas behind it. This could create a cognitive dissonance, and they may claim the joke is actually anti-racist as a way to reduce that dissonance.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
The Left's transformation into apoplectic morality squad made the rise of a new Alt-Right inevitable.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Bob le Moche posted:

Ok I'm going to attempt to express some things that I feel might help to better understand the Dark Enlightenment and extreme reactionary movements in general, but bear with me because it might be a bit counter-intuitive to most and I might be approaching this from a somewhat different angle that what I've read so far in this thread.

So where do such ideas come from originally? I feel there's a somewhat mistaken intuition that some hosed up people somewhere in their basement come up with them and spread them on the internet and that they then somehow seep through and contaminate the mainstream culture and "normal" conservative ideology etc from such initial echo-chamber nuclei of extremism.
I really don't see things that way. I propose that neoreaction is actually better understood as a "distilled" form of what is quite simply the dominant ideology of our society. Its origin is not to be found within a few deranged minds but inside the very structure of how our entire civilization and its whole set of institutions are organized. Most people do not really think things through to the extent that proponents of NRx do, and are able to hold completely contradictory beliefs and values about society without ever being put in a context where they have to confront and resolve them. That is, most people actually have already internalized the logic of neoreaction simply by virtue of having existed within contemporary society since birth, but have done so on a completely unconscious level, and in their conscious lives are able to operate always in complete denial about it. The people who turn neoreactionary are those who find themselves in a situation where for whatever reason "not thinking about uncomfortable things too much" is no longer the easiest thing to do.

The set of institutions I'm referring to include things like, the nation-state, the military, the police force, borders, private property, the education system, prisons, the justice system, citizenship, the job market, etc. These things did not always exist, they all appeared in their modern form more or less around the same period of history, they are now a fact of reality pretty much everywhere on the planet whether we like it or not, and we as individual humans have to deal with their existence. These are also all institutions that both liberals and conservatives will defend as being necessary, good, legitimate, etc. Our entire society is organized around them and around the ideological justifications of "individual freedom" and "meritocracy".

Everyone in our society learns pretty early on, by going through the school system, that not only are we not all equal, but that society is everywhere attributing value to us along certain metrics. We are taught that people who get better grades are "better" than people who get bad grades, they will go on in life to be more respected, have more power, etc. They also "deserve" this. This continues in adult life where our value on the job market varies wildly and where some of us are just deemed to be worth more than others by society, to get promoted, etc. Others end up becoming incarcerated and this is also something they "deserve". This is a fundamental fact of existence in class society and is so hegemonic as to be something that we barely ever think about. Most kids are not stupid and they also figure out easily that the value placed upon various human lives tend to be highly correlated with things like race and gender, that there's a clear pattern there. Some "kinds" of people will tend to be successful and others not, some "kinds" of people will tend to be criminals and others not. However what they quickly learn is that you are not allowed to say that out loud. You get heavily punished through social policing if you dare externalize the observation that white men tend to be "better" along the very same values that you are forcefully socialized into accepting. This is taboo and to exist within this society you have to both internalize its hierarchy as legitimate and just, and pretend that its organization is based purely on "merit" and "individual choices" which are things that are constructed to have nothing to do with the context in which someone is born. This is the fundamental contradiction at the core of our ideology. The closer you get to the ideological apparatus, the more important your voice or the better access you have to a public platform, the stronger this taboo become. So if you're condemned to obscurity in a low-paying job where you don't have any contact with the public, nobody really cares that much that you're a huge racist, or that you don't give a gently caress about following the rules, but if you go to university, go into politics, the media, management, etc you have to learn pretty quickly to suppress and hide these feelings you might have about the (actually quite obvious) logic of very the processes that put you there in the first place.

This is why reactionaries complain so much about "political correctness" (or "the cathedral" in NRx terms), they identify this superego pressure to suppress, to live in denial about our own omnipresent racism, and it feels to them like an absurd oppression because they've fully internalized the actual, underlying and unconscious, racist and sexist, values of our society. They cannot stand these contradictions. They see this performance of liberalism as a giant hypocrisy and in that, they are correct. They find pleasure in transgression: laughing at racist jokes feels liberating when you've internalized both the racism and the social pressure to deny it.

Both liberals and reactionaries have accepted the notion that IQ is an objective measurement of something called "intelligence" which is a neutral measure of a person's worth. They also both have accepted the notion that law and order is good and that commiting a crime is bad, that criminals should be put in jail etc. When the reactionary then encounters the statistical fact that white people have a higher IQ than black people on average, or that there are a lot more black people in prison, this takes on the allure of having discovered a hidden knowledge. When the reactionary then sees that liberals are made uncomfortable by those facts and that they'd rather pretend they don't exist or not think about them too hard, the reactionary is vindicated in his belief that he holds some secret truth which is being suppressed by the "cathedral" and it's quasi-religious faith in complete contradictions.
Of course, there is another possible way of resolving these contradiction, and that is to fully reject the very legitimacy of these constructions, of the institutions of power, and by extension the logic of our entire society. To see them as the tools of patriarchy and white supremacy that they are, and to assert that there is nothing good, true, natural or universal about their justificating ideology, that our entire civilization has been constructed to enable the brutal oppression and exploitation of some groups by others. This is something that is quite difficult to do when you have been given any stake at all in the system, as most of us have. If you are anything other than an outright criminal, a self-destructing political radical, or maybe a rare tenured postmodern academic, your entire identity and sense of self-worth, your entire hope for continued existence, is based on the position that you've been given within the system, and climbing its hierarchy is probably what all your desires revolve around in some way or another.
But most people never have to resolve these contradictions at all, it's completely possible to hold them in mind without ever being force to confront them. It is a constant source of anxiety for many liberals for sure, but it's completely possible to live your entire life in denial like that, or selectively picking and choosing what parts of society you reject (the ones you don't have a stake in personally). In some ways living like that is actually a privilege though, it's the situation that liberal professionals and educated people find themselves in. They get to convince themselves both that they're "good people" and better than the stupid redneck racists and sexists, and also that they deserve the position of privilege that they've been given by a society which is fundamentally just and good except for a few "bad apples" or for exceptional "corruption".

As soon as they start being affected directly though, a liberal will usually turn into a reactionary. As soon as their own personal involvement in racist/sexist structures are what's being examined they'll lash out and defend their fragile privileged ego at any costs. As soon as a liberal white male professor starts getting students that ask why 90% of the authors in the syllabus are white males, he'll start writing online op-eds about how safe spaces on campus are destroying free speech or whatever.
Many liberals are happy to self-congratulate and feel superior by making fun of the xenophobe right-wing racists who are afraid of refugees, but ask them if they think borders should be fully open and they'll probably say no, they'll probably defend the idea that borders should exist, that they should be guarded by an armed force, that people born inside them deserve citizenship and the right to vote and state services and people born outside them don't, and they'll make up some story about why all of this is necessary and good while being completely oblivious to the ways this system reproduces the very racism they like to make fun of. What should be done with the people who are willing to risk their lives to cross the border illegally? What happens when oppressed groups are willing to confront the police in large numbers and break the law and risk their lives to liberate themselves and destroy the old society? Good liberals don't think about these questions too much, until they are forced to do it by circumstances, at which point they might very well turn out to be reactionaries.

It is almost as if people use liberal ideas AND collectivist ideas AND fascist ideas all the time because they are complementary rather than contradictory.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Maoist Pussy posted:

The Left's transformation into apoplectic morality squad made the rise of a new Alt-Right inevitable.

your not wrong. its part of it definitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I, personally, blame anarchists. As should we all.

More seriously, the left doesn't have the power to create that kind of influential change, and hasn't had it for a very, very long time. Alt-right is the expression of a kind of paranoia that has gripped politics since the nineties. A desperate and increasingly frustrated politics as a result of growing inequality. The left was crushed, and so here we are, stuck between cruelty and the status quo.

• Locked thread