Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErrantSystems
Jul 5, 2009

A Boy and His Herb. posted:

Is the close beta installer the same game files as the live game? I want to get started on downloading for the head start launch if possible.

Nope, the launch installer is here: http://download.bladeandsoul.com/BnS_Lite_Installer.exe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Amante posted:

If you enjoyed the wuxia cheese and punching/kicking/slashing dudes, then you'll enjoy B&S. The combat is great.

If you enjoyed stealing scripts, throwing up on people, and other associated griffery, there is little enjoyment in B&S to be had.

Cheers for this. Still seems at least interesting enough, then.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Khako posted:

If it's the $25 pack, don't do it. If it's $125, question previous life decisions.

What about the $75 one, seem like it gives a bit more stuff including one month of premium.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Went through and watched each class video again and now I'm torn between Kung Fu punch man or twirling sword anime.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Im kinda disappointed Lyn can't be punchmen. I want to armbar people as a super furry midget anime.

9foxtails
Jan 13, 2016
Well, if discovered why no founders pack for me. Digital River runs the payment processing and physical and billing address don't match due to living abroad. It was the same problem I had with FFXIV ARR, until they released it on steam. Guess the only way for me to play is the "grindy" way. Hopefully, it is good enough to keep me interested.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

9foxtails posted:

Well, if discovered why no founders pack for me. Digital River runs the payment processing and physical and billing address don't match due to living abroad. It was the same problem I had with FFXIV ARR, until they released it on steam. Guess the only way for me to play is the "grindy" way. Hopefully, it is good enough to keep me interested.

honestly i'd say the same thing i always do to anyone looking at a new F2P. try to play betas and (failing that now obviously) stay f2p unless you or some guys you've played with before recommend it. BnS is certainly my cup of tea but i freely realize it might not be everyone's.

if you like: Cheezy Wuxia punchmans, 1v1 arena dickwaving, or CRAAZZZYY movesets, you'll enjoy this game. In my opinion.

Edit: as far as keeping you interested once you've started, leveling is easy and can if you poopsock it be done in a single day of play (by which i mean 16 hours of grind and knowing a few tips along the way). expect to quite comfortably hit 45 within 2-3 days of 'usual' levels of playing time, 5-6 if you're the type who can only spare a couple of hours a day to punchman pixels.

HapiMerchant fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 14, 2016

9foxtails
Jan 13, 2016

HapiMerchant posted:

honestly i'd say the same thing i always do to anyone looking at a new F2P. try to play betas and (failing that now obviously) stay f2p unless you or some guys you've played with before recommend it. BnS is certainly my cup of tea but i freely realize it might not be everyone's.

if you like: Cheezy Wuxia punchmans, 1v1 arena dickwaving, or CRAAZZZYY movesets, you'll enjoy this game. In my opinion.

Edit: as far as keeping you interested once you've started, leveling is easy and can if you poopsock it be done in a single day of play (by which i mean 16 hours of grind and knowing a few tips along the way). expect to quite comfortably hit 45 within 2-3 days of 'usual' levels of playing time, 5-6 if you're the type who can only spare a couple of hours a day to punchman pixels.

Sound good. So the game is pretty accessible. I'm planning to level up over the course of a few days. However, if I plan to grind it out, would you please detail the finer points of "poopsocking"? What brands and cotton blends hold maximum volume with minimum leakage?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

9foxtails posted:

Sound good. So the game is pretty accessible. I'm planning to level up over the course of a few days. However, if I plan to grind it out, would you please detail the finer points of "poopsocking"? What brands and cotton blends hold maximum volume with minimum leakage?

the rule i was always told whenever i asked was "ignore sidequests til level 9 or 10, and then only do the ones that give 1K+ xp"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeCCiZ4_WwI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ictMQ1oZrpA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOiF_2bj12M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liSSb6qAk5w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3zQ-KHHmM0

For the avid depends user, check these out. Do note that these guides also assume you are A: premium user and B: using cash shop combat xp boosters (aka more xp for mob kills) and also contain major major story spoilers

I wouldn't advise poopsocking this badly unless you had a 45 or two from cbt. if you're fresh, enjoy the ride. its the most wuxia plot i've seen in a while.

HapiMerchant fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 14, 2016

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Yeah you should definitely pay attention to the story at least once. It's pretty silly but it's a lot of fun.

Hakurai's also been doing a leveling guide, I think his is less reliant on just aoe grinding poo poo constantly though and more on strategically doing quests and saving time elsewhere. Still waiting on part 3 though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTtOklFq8BY

Also if you're going straight F2P make sure you read the OP and be familiar with how weapon evolution, keys, and hongmoon coins work since that could save you some time and trouble along the way.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

How intensive are the material requirements for crafting over time? Can you level a craft decently with only one gathering that matches it, making something like Jewelry and Pottery feasible?

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
Yep 2016 off to a flying start - Nearly £100 on a F2P game also a glimpse of my future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4p8ewFhvWo

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 14, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ErrantSystems posted:

People over at the bladeandsouldojo forums are so angry about their anime names being taken (note: basically CMs took some popular names before name reservation was open to the public, initial thread about this is here). Some quotes:

Meanwhile some NCSoft employees make some nice responses:

I hope they didn't reserve Sephiroth :ohdear:

Most people are uncreative. Shocker :nallears: I'm gonna have a weebname but I just know nobody will ever have it because it combines two different meanings, and I've always used them in most mmos without fail and it'll be perfect for my Jin Assassin~

Make like aa KFM named Danger Cobra or whatever, same idea with mine but its elegant~ gently caress, she might be better as a blade master...

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Look who's here: http://na-bns.ncsoft.com/ingame/bs/character/search/info?c=FranBunnyFFXII

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
:laffo:

why not just use her japanese name? Furan~ :smuggo:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/8321214/

Furan McFran~

reminds me of a Lalafell named Rand Paul~

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Yeah I saw them posting in the summoner forum on dojo and was like o gently caress

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
2DCat if your character isn't named Damaged Syrup, I'll.. I'll..

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So is the PVP here as crazy as it in Age of Wushu (kidnap offline players and sell them into slavery, invade and burn down guild halls, steal their skillbooks) or is it basic arena + world PVP stuff?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The Latter, though with the outfits you can get some good chances for dynamic tears.

((Your pvp flag is an outfit you wear which is related to different factions, some people put on the outfit without realising this)0

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Pierson posted:

So is the PVP here as crazy as it in Age of Wushu (kidnap offline players and sell them into slavery, invade and burn down guild halls, steal their skillbooks) or is it basic arena + world PVP stuff?

Nobody reads the OP... :smith:

Yeah no crazy stuff here. 1v1 and 3v3 equalized arenas are the most popular form of PvP. The open world stuff is mostly putting on your faction dobok and fighting over areas with faction NPCs that you farm (or farm other players) for prestige points that can be turned in for faction rep. If you get killed, remove outfit, or teleport out you lose the prestige you didn't turn in yet. I think you get a multiplier the more prestige you collect without turning it in though so you can go riskier if you want for a bigger payoff.

After 50cap we'll get a 6v6 battleground type thing too. OWPvP and 6v6 are not equalized, unlike the arenas.

edit: Yeah Stormgale makes a good point there will be plenty of people that don't understand the concept of faction doboks and will leave them on by accident, so you can kill them if you want. There are other opposing factions besides Red vs Blue, like Bamboo Guards vs Blackram Pirates, and they function in the same way PvP-wise.

cathead fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 14, 2016

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

cathead posted:

Nobody reads the OP... :smith:

I read the OP, it is good :)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Ops are in the past and I'm always looking AHEAD (to gaming) (sorry)

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Manac0r posted:

Yep 2016 off to a flying start - Nearly £100 on a F2P game also a glimpse of my future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4p8ewFhvWo

That PVP looks fun as hell. I can't wait to go 0-672!

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

After watching that video, I was really hoping that 'Bomani' was a single person who was straight up farming that guy. Unfortunately it turns out that 'Bomani' means something like 'Nameless'. At low ELO the designers chose to anonymize people's names by changing their name to 'Bomani'.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I found this tutorial video informative, and not annoying to watch: https://youtu.be/LBAhN8ZZzBU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

CompeAnansi posted:

After watching that video, I was really hoping that 'Bomani' was a single person who was straight up farming that guy. Unfortunately it turns out that 'Bomani' means something like 'Nameless'. At low ELO the designers chose to anonymize people's names by changing their name to 'Bomani'.

That was actually a bug in beta, it's since been changed to "Opponent". There's another guy in the game named Bomani and the strings got mixed up, and nobody noticed for awhile since like you said Bomani can mean nameless.

Of course, the damage has already been done and Bomani is now a derogatory term for bad pvpers on dojo and reddit.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I look forward to being in Goon Squad 2, 3, or 4 tomorrow

AngstPenguin
Oct 10, 2006

yeah don't clans only start with a 30 member cap or something lame?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Are there really that many people playing this?

I guess its more of an issue with alts being so prevalent considering how easy it is to level.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
idk there usually is a big goon rush in games and then it dies a week later

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Eonwe posted:

Pretty much this. Since its F2P and you can hit cap over a weekend, there's no reason not to try it out and putz around for a week or two. By the time the rush dies down we should have a somewhat leveled guild that can fit everyone who sticks around.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eonwe posted:

Hey I plan to play this for at least 2 weeks.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

http://twitch.tv/bladeandsoul/

Stream going on apparently

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
player retention in mmo is like bladder retention

you just can't hold them/it in forever~

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
more like bowel retention cause youre all poo poo :smuggo:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Premium confirmed for 959 ncoins, so about $12.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

cathead posted:

Premium confirmed for 959 ncoins, so about $12.

theyre selling nc coin cards at gamestop that give bonus dragon whats-it soup for 30 minutes of extra exp and loot per soup

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
I like soup :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Everyman posted:

Pretty much this. Since its F2P and you can hit cap over a weekend, there's no reason not to try it out and putz around for a week or two. By the time the rush dies down we should have a somewhat leveled guild that can fit everyone who sticks around.

Even with MMO's if I get a month enjoyment out of it, it's money well spent. But then I view people who talk about being unable to quit WoW because of how invested they are in their character as the crazy people they are. The investment is literally reset every raid tier and doubly so in expansions. Just how invested can you be?

• Locked thread