Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It could have been far worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Niton posted:

Alexander has poo poo for story. It has zero buildup before the unlock

A1-4 is the buildup.

I also don't think it's fair to compare something that has had a story build up for like 2 years to something we've only seen the build up for.

e: Also, personally I'm hyped for 3.2. If a1-3 lyrics are supposed to mean anything, we're gonna get some epic poo poo going on soon. And Belzac is right about the cutscenes.

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 14, 2016

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

I'm making this message because I ended again with some overblown heads who kicked me out because of my playstyle as thaumaturge, which mainly consist of never being manaempty (rotating bliz and fire).

And here comes the overblown ego heads that claim it's actually better to spend the whole MP casting fire1, then transpose as it supposedly restore the whole MP bar, which does not happen when I tried it and I didn't like it. Fine, I can understand that some players love to play it like that, but get it in your skull that there's more than one playstyle!

Giving advice is OK, but telling the other exactly what he should do, how he should do and how to play is called ruining the fun. If you are one of those with the overly inflated ego, please, just stop believing your way is always good. There's more than one good way to play, each player has it's own.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

nrrrghhhhh

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I find this more repulsive than the "ice mage" idea.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

"I tried it and didn't like it" - every idiot who's got no idea how to play a game

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I'm more worried about the indications in his word choice of an inflation fetish he's struggling to contain.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The instructions said it was good to kill enemies before they kill you, but I tried that and didn't like it. I prefer wiping, it is a legitimate playstyle.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

They'll probably get offended when they unlock Flare.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
what happens if he's out of mp and the healer dies and he can't keep the tank up with cross classed physick. Geez Louise, get a brain.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

HiKaizer posted:

If you and other people don't care for Alex or the theme or whatever other part of it you feel is inferior to Coil that's fine, just don't say it has less or no story because of that because it's inaccurate.

The amount of story actually contained within A1-4 compared with the amount of story actually contained within T1-5 is probably similar-ish.

The problem is that the story contained in A1-4 is boring and disconnected from the rest of the stories of the game in a way that you wouldn't think the centerpiece raid would be.

So much of the content in the game that has a story relates to the history of Eorzea in some way or another in a big interlocking plot puzzle. Coil was obviously finishing the major "whoops 1.0 was bad nuke the world" plot line, and Crystal Tower was also related to that, as well as some of the dungeons. Other dungeons deal with the time period when mages hosed over the world, which is what the Void Ark series is going to be about.
Even the plot of 3.0 still had ties to the overall Coil story.

Alexander is just "goblin cheese mafia thought really hard and now there's a robot you have to run around inside of with an uninteresting dragon girl". If it wasn't for the "IT'S LITERALLY SUCKING THE AETHER OUT OF THE LAAAAAAND" the warrior of light would probably not even be giving a poo poo. It has nothing to do with anything except itself, and the only thing it has going for it is the music.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

but it has so much more story than coil 1-5

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Klades posted:

The problem is that the story contained in A1-4 is boring and disconnected from the rest of the stories of the game in a way that you wouldn't think the centerpiece raid would be.

So much of the content in the game that has a story relates to the history of Eorzea in some way or another in a big interlocking plot puzzle. Coil was obviously finishing the major "whoops 1.0 was bad nuke the world" plot line, and Crystal Tower was also related to that, as well as some of the dungeons. Other dungeons deal with the time period when mages hosed over the world, which is what the Void Ark series is going to be about.
Even the plot of 3.0 still had ties to the overall Coil story.

This goes both ways - there's actually a ton of stuff in the Hinterlands referencing / involving the Illuminati, but it's completely segregated from the main plot. The Illumininati are touched on lightly in the first half of the zone, but your direct involvement with them is limited to helping Brayflox out and maybe a pair of fetchquests - then you're done with them, fix the bridge and the subplot just.. ends as you move on to Azys Lla.

Niton fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 14, 2016

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

A shallow reference doesn't quite connect is as meaningfully as even Void Ark. It's bizarre, because the Void Ark storyline feels like a bigger and more significant deal than Alexander and steals the spotlight. It's way more engaging too, and even had more build up within its own story.

Void Ark is what Alexander should have been like. Instead, like they're all saying, it feels disconnected. There isn't even a real sense of stake because the goblins are so incompetent.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Alexander is significant to the world -- it's a primal that would kill everything in Dravania and Coerthas just by existing -- but the plot really undersells it by focusing on Mide, the Garlond engineers and the Idyllshire goblins. There's still a few patches' worth of room for them to tie it into the world, though.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I suspect that they looked at the completion rates of Coil and the Crystal Tower and decided that since not everyone can do raids like Coil that they were going to keep the story separate and not have a large portion of the player base effectively miss an entire part of the story. (Although it still would be nice if they did something to make it possible for people who missed Coil to see it since it does play such a large role in the story and there's absolutely no reason for anyone to go back to it today.)

Of course then they added story mode at the same time, solving the same problem a second way. But I still think that they're intentionally keeping Alexander its own thing on the theory that most players just won't bother with it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think it's ok to have the raids be self-contained stories mostly unrelated to the MSQ.
I also think it's too early to judge the quality of a story after having seen a third of it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
It still needs some kind of visible hook to the greater world - there's an entire half a zone that's swarming with the Illuminati, but they get almost no screen time compared to the rest of the antagonists. The Hinterlands not building up the Illuminati as an immediate threat is one of the big storytelling misses of 3.0, and not just because Alexander is reliant on caring about them.

Niton fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 14, 2016

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

the thing is that coil was already loving rad in the first third of it, and alexander is just bland. knowing that you're still going to be inside that tiny cramped space also means the areas probably are going to be just as uninspiring as the current set is

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Mymla posted:

I also think it's too early to judge the quality of a story after having seen a third of it.

While this is not incorrect, it's also a huge mistake to stuff all the good parts of a story into the rear end end of it and have the first part be boring shite.
If there was a trilogy of novels, and the second two were great books, but the first was Ready Player One, I would probably not read that trilogy. Even if I agreed that objectively, the trilogy as a whole was excellent, I would not be willing to slog through the first third to get to the good parts.

It's like Metroid, except Metroid 1 was groundbreaking when it came out and is only awful in retrospect.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

ilifinicus posted:

the thing is that coil was already loving rad in the first third of it, and alexander is just bland. knowing that you're still going to be inside that tiny cramped space also means the areas probably are going to be just as uninspiring as the current set is

BCoB wasn't 'rad'.

Three out of the five turns were awful. One was a corridor maze (though pick your own boss mechanics was neat), one was totally worthless running around for no purpose other than to extend the amount of time you spent in there, and the other was an elevator shaft of blandness on top of reused enemy models.

Turn 1 and Turn 5 in BCoB were cool from an aesthetic standpoint, though.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Turn 3 is the best from both a lore and gameplay perspective. :colbert:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Klades posted:

While this is not incorrect, it's also a huge mistake to stuff all the good parts of a story into the rear end end of it and have the first part be boring shite.
If there was a trilogy of novels, and the second two were great books, but the first was Ready Player One, I would probably not read that trilogy. Even if I agreed that objectively, the trilogy as a whole was excellent, I would not be willing to slog through the first third to get to the good parts.

It's like Metroid, except Metroid 1 was groundbreaking when it came out and is only awful in retrospect.

The first season of Stargate SG-1 is genuinely hot garbage, but I don't regret watching it because it let me enjoy the rest of the series.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

FaintlyQuaint posted:

BCoB wasn't 'rad'.

Three out of the five turns were awful. One was a corridor maze (though pick your own boss mechanics was neat), one was totally worthless running around for no purpose other than to extend the amount of time you spent in there, and the other was an elevator shaft of blandness on top of reused enemy models.

It was the intros and the theme that made it for me. When the camera swoops down and says like "900 YALMS DEEP - THE IMPERIAL BAHAMUT MINES" Alexander seems like it's supposed to be the same thing,: You're fighting through the inside of an ancient robot that lives under a lake. But the goblins kind of take over the story. And the Void Ark at least had some build up with it moving about the sky in 3.0

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
More BLM talk. When I was running Stone Vigil way back, someone stared squawking at me for using blizzard on the ice sprites (after burning my mana on Fire 2). He got pissed off that I was healing them, and that I should just transpose, and use lightning spells until I could go back to fire.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

FaintlyQuaint posted:

BCoB wasn't 'rad'.

turn 3 before you started to realize that you could just run from everything as a hecka lot cooler than it is in its current form

those jumppads were some of the funnest poo poo when you got in there the first time

turn 4 was just a reminder that FF13 exists tho so that sucked

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

ilifinicus posted:

turn 3 before you started to realize that you could just run from everything as a hecka lot cooler than it is in its current form

those jumppads were some of the funnest poo poo when you got in there the first time

turn 4 was just a reminder that FF13 exists tho so that sucked

Turn 4 was nice in that it was the first Boss Fight in Circluar Arena style of raid that tried to disguise it's nature by making the environment interesting to be in, even if it was still literally just a circle. The environment changing colour the further down you got was a nice touch.

In fact a tiny thing that annoys me about Alex's aesthetic is that it's like they're not even trying in this regard. Practically every raid arena boils down to a simple geometric shape but at least they made an effort in Coil to distract you with a well designed environment. T5 may just be a circle but no one cares because it's the fossilized goddamn hand of Bahamut holy poo poo I'm fighting dragons in the palm of a bigger dragon. T4, T5, T7, T9, all of FCoB; all circles, but they all look dramatically different from each other. Meanwhile everything in Alex looks like the same loving boiler room.

Drifting off topic but still on aethestics it bugs me for some reason I can't quite quantify that the Manipulator is this giant stationary machine just kind of sitting on half of a tiny platform suspended well above anything of importance. He looks out of place in his own fight. How did he get there? What is he doing there? Nael and Bahamut had reasons for being in the arenas they were, and Twintania doesn't just chill on the hand waiting for you, it flies down from above when you approach.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

More BLM talk. When I was running Stone Vigil way back, someone stared squawking at me for using blizzard on the ice sprites (after burning my mana on Fire 2). He got pissed off that I was healing them, and that I should just transpose, and use lightning spells until I could go back to fire.

I'm pretty new to this game so maybe I'm missing something but that sounds like good advice?

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Volume posted:

I'm pretty new to this game so maybe I'm missing something but that sounds like good advice?

Nothing in this game has elemental immunities/absorbs/reflects/weaknesses.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Volume posted:

It doesn't actually heal them

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well never mind me then lol

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

resistances and healing from that kind of poo poo makes pubbies very mad because you kill Ifrit by casting Fire on him

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm like 3/4 water and can still drown.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
If you haven't upgraded to Heavensward yet and still have only the base install, you might need to free up some hard drive space before 3.2 drops next month.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/bdd3156a32a13a8b7590e9a5e0aa542bcab14c7f

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I think the dumberest thing about Alex is that Gorias ends with you disabling the power core for ALL of Alexander. Not just the arm or whatever, that's suppose to be the power core for the whole robot. This means when it turns back on and takes another step in 3-6 months we're going to have to some loving stupid rear end cutscense to explain how it turned back on and just waste more time.

T5 you can see the other spaceships powering up Bahamut, wow case solved don't need to talk about why were' going back.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Belzac posted:

I think the dumberest thing about Alex is that Gorias ends with you disabling the power core for ALL of Alexander. Not just the arm or whatever, that's suppose to be the power core for the whole robot. This means when it turns back on and takes another step in 3-6 months we're going to have to some loving stupid rear end cutscense to explain how it turned back on and just waste more time.

T5 you can see the other spaceships powering up Bahamut, wow case solved don't need to talk about why were' going back.

My best guess, considering how much the goblin was gloating at the end, is that there are multiple cores and we took out a backup.

The layout of the zone shows that Alexander is going to lurch up again when the next wing opens up, so we obviously didn't stop it.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I'm like 3/4 water and can still drown.

yeah but you drown 1/4th as fast as someone made up of no water

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

If you haven't upgraded to Heavensward yet and still have only the base install, you might need to free up some hard drive space before 3.2 drops next month.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/bdd3156a32a13a8b7590e9a5e0aa542bcab14c7f

What's up with the extra 20 GB the PS4 uses compared to PC? Console inefficiencies? Better textures?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Gearhead posted:

My best guess, considering how much the goblin was gloating at the end, is that there are multiple cores and we took out a backup.

The layout of the zone shows that Alexander is going to lurch up again when the next wing opens up, so we obviously didn't stop it.

Yeah but that means there's going to be a stupid cutscene with Mide talking for like 10 minutes about how it could be back on and the whole time I'll just be wishing she wasn't in the game game and how she could have just been replaced by Cid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Grim Up North posted:

What's up with the extra 20 GB the PS4 uses compared to PC? Console inefficiencies? Better textures?

Language support, maybe?

• Locked thread