Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Has there ever been a film that tried to be "bad on purpose" and was actually entertaining about it? Most "bad on purpose" films I've seen just ended up really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holttho
May 21, 2007

Sharknado would probably be the closest to that. Otherwise, not really.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Eschers Basement posted:

Has there ever been a film that tried to be "bad on purpose" and was actually entertaining about it? Most "bad on purpose" films I've seen just ended up really bad.

I refuse to believe that Rocky Horror was not "bad on purpose"

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

You could probably call the Troma flicks bad on purpose.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

BgRdMchne posted:

Yeah, most of that Troma stuff (especially Killer Condom and Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.) is entertaining as hell, but so, so bad.

edit: (unrelated)

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Jan 14, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Eschers Basement posted:

well, according to Wiseau, The Room was supposed to be a bad on purpose comedy

(it totally wasn't)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Eschers Basement posted:

John Waters is basically the only man who has been able to get the balance juuuuuuuuuuust right.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Eschers Basement posted:

It's a TV series, but Garth Marengi's Darkplace hits all the right buttons for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkN8WtFTpE

The DVDs have a complete in-character commentary track, it's fantastic.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 17:09 on Jan 14, 2016

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Eschers Basement posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

I give you Kung Fury

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Eschers Basement posted:

The Taint

A gross out zombie film that made me laugh at just how bad it tried to be

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

No, he said bad on purpose that actually end up entertaining.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Danger Five?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Kung Fury had its moments, and it was just the right length that it didn't wear out its welcome (for me).

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Danger Five?

Danger 5 is amazing and beautiful. I was unsure about its second season but turns out that it is just as brilliant and fantastic.

:gonk: HITLER DOES WEAR HATS

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm Gonna Get You, Sucka was kinda bad on purpose, and that movie is loving awesome.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Bad movie that is good?

More here.

:nws:Here too.:nws:

RickVoid has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Jan 14, 2016

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
You guys are mostly mentioning parodies though, I'm pretty sure Eschers Basement means films that try to replicate something like "The Room" on purpose but just end up plain bad instead of "so bad it's good". And I agree, I don't think anything like that really works without the influence of some kind of eccentric director or producer that thinks he's truly making an unironic masterpiece.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I think Showgirls might fit as a "so terrible it's enjoyable" movie.

Since this is the funny pictures thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svXrAZKfX5k

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
Black Dynamite is bad on purpose and one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LittleFuryThings posted:

Black Dynamite is bad on purpose and one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

Yes.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

a cat irl posted:

Danger 5 is amazing and beautiful. I was unsure about its second season but turns out that it is just as brilliant and fantastic.

:gonk: HITLER DOES WEAR HATS

Season two really ramps up the insanity and it's glorious.

Johnny Hitler, coolest kid on campus.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Passible butt, possible :nws:?

http://i.imgur.com/0xQIQXu.jpg

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

I threw a rotisserie chicken carcass in the dumpster at work recently and the local crows managed to get it out of the dumpster (out the side door) and fought over it. It was pretty great. Shame this guy wasn't there, he could have cut up the chicken into even parts and shared with everyone

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

I threw a rotisserie chicken carcass in the dumpster at work recently and the local crows managed to get it out of the dumpster (out the side door) and fought over it. It was pretty great. Shame this guy wasn't there, he could have cut up the chicken into even parts and shared with everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_8hPcnGeCI

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hobo With A Shotgun was pretty good but I don't know if it's so much "bad on purpose" as "80s on purpose".

Darkplace owns and Kung Fury is some visual effects guy's demo reel that he suckered a bunch of folks into financing through Kickstarter.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Does Pacific Rim count?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Was Leprechaun in the Hood bad on purpose or accidentally?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you think that looks like a butt you may have spent too much time in silent hill.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BgRdMchne posted:

Was Leprechaun in the Hood bad on purpose or accidentally?

I dunno, but it was awesome. Like the Child's Play series, it's better than it has any right to be.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Angela Christine posted:

If you think that looks like a butt you may have spent too much time in silent hill.

Works way better thumbnailed, but I played it safe.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Does Pacific Rim count?

You shut your god damned mouth. Pacific Rim owns, and that reminds me, I haven't watched it since I got my new TV.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Does Pacific Rim count?

Nah its just unironically bad.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Season two really ramps up the insanity and it's glorious.

Johnny Hitler, coolest kid on campus.

He looks like an old Italian man pretending to be an older German man.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

BgRdMchne posted:

I will fight you with every ounce of my being.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Black Dynamite wasn't a purposefully bad movie, it was a comedy and a parody of 70's blaxploitation films. Parody movies can be good, and Black Dynamite was well made, if a little cheesy (like a lot of comedies).

Kung Fury was inoffensive in that it was released for free on YouTube and was short. It did try to shoehorn in a little too many things that are Approved Funny By The Internet, but it seemed the producers put some effort into making it all look good, so that made up for it. It was decent 6/10 entertainment, but would've really sucked to watch for 90 minutes.

I think if you make an intentionally bad movie you'll succeed in just doing that; you'll make a bad movie. Making something good doesn't have to mean it's perfect. As long as no aspect of it explicitly sucks you can save your movie by making at least one aspect of it great, whether that is the acting, witty dialogue, solid jokes or an interesting plot. And if you do put in honest effort to make something good and wind up making something that really sucks, that's the thing that makes it funny to watch. Intentionally making a bad movie in hopes of making something funny is a hopeless endeavor.

I've written too many :words: about bad movies. Here's a funny picture of Alan Rickman, who we'll miss :(, without a penis, holding a Ken Doll his non-penis was modeled after.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I Am Crake posted:

I've written too many :words: about bad movies. Here's a funny picture of Alan Rickman, who we'll miss :(, without a penis, holding a Ken Doll his non-penis was modeled after.

I wonder if getting that makeup job was awkward. Bunch of special effects guys rooting around in his junk.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alan Rickman died? :(

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Eschers Basement posted:

Poolboy 2: Drowning Out the Fury is a masterpiece and I won't hear otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

whiteyfats posted:

Alan Rickman died? :(

I'm so sorry :(

E: That you found out because of my post, which already wasn't stellar, in the funny pictures thread. Not because I killed him or anything, I didn't.

• Locked thread