Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

surprised they aint retconned the ork tech thing since they've retconned everything good in that universe.

They may very well have. I washed my hands of 40K sometime ago.
It's a pretty consistent feature of Space Opera. Peter f Hamilton has some cool ideas buried in his endless books about space ghosts and underage pregnancy.

Also, I'm finally onto Legacy of the Void, and, holy poo poo, it's not even pretending to be Space Opera. It's just a fantasy universe with space ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yes it's very very bad.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

They may very well have. I washed my hands of 40K sometime ago.
It's a pretty consistent feature of Space Opera. Peter f Hamilton has some cool ideas buried in his endless books about space ghosts and underage pregnancy.

Also, I'm finally onto Legacy of the Void, and, holy poo poo, it's not even pretending to be Space Opera. It's just a fantasy universe with space ships.

I would love to read a book by someone who isn't a loving pedophile.

I was trying to read the Reality Dysfunction? I think it was called that, and I had to put it down when we got to the part where this 15 year old has SUPER genetic advancements which make him look like an adult and he's loving these women on a boat. My boyfriend then got me a wilbur smith book because I like history. It's racist, sexist, homophobic and everyone in the book wants to gently caress a 14 year old girl.

I think i'm going to burn it it's that gross.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

The imagination of these authors are powered by draining the innocence of children. It is their dark secret.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

I was trying to read the Reality Dysfunction? I think it was called that, and I had to put it down when we got to the part where this 15 year old has SUPER genetic advancements which make him look like an adult and he's loving these women on a boat. My boyfriend then got me a wilbur smith book because I like history. It's racist, sexist, homophobic and everyone in the book wants to gently caress a 14 year old girl.

I think i'm going to burn it it's that gross.

Yeah, Reality Dysfunction is especially weird, giving us great detail on the dick adventures of Not-Han-Solo, including knocking up some 16 year old Space Victorian, which takes dozens of pages.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I don't think anyone could be as bad as Piers Anthony. I'd look up quotes about him and pedophilia but gently caress reading that poo poo again. Guy's creepy as gently caress.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

I don't think anyone could be as bad as Piers Anthony. I'd look up quotes about him and pedophilia but gently caress reading that poo poo again. Guy's creepy as gently caress.

His name is piers, which should have been a red flag.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

you....you magnificent bastard

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m59oTieJFF4

Zug-zug!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Helsing posted:

I think they had to get rid of the cerebrates and Overmind because of a legal dispute with Games Workshop, who correctly understood that the Zerg are basically a massive rip off of the Tyranids.

It's bullshit, of course, because everything in the Games Workshop universe is directly ripped off from Michael Moorcock, Dune, Tolkien, Aliens and Terminator.

The cerebrates and the Overmind are actually zerg with no even remotely close tyranid equivalents. The equivalents of psychic mass controller bugs for tyranids are all big melee monsters because GW is very bad at designing support HQ units and so fall back on every HQ or titan being either melee or shooty. GW has literally never threatened a law suite over Tyranid designs. The only lawsuit regarding Tyranids is the one by Fox suiting GW for the hive tyrant looking took much like the queen from Aliens. Hence why hive tyrants when to looking like thin upright carnifexes.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Terrible Opinions posted:

The cerebrates and the Overmind are actually zerg with no even remotely close tyranid equivalents. The equivalents of psychic mass controller bugs for tyranids are all big melee monsters because GW is very bad at designing support HQ units and so fall back on every HQ or titan being either melee or shooty. GW has literally never threatened a law suite over Tyranid designs. The only lawsuit regarding Tyranids is the one by Fox suiting GW for the hive tyrant looking took much like the queen from Aliens. Hence why hive tyrants when to looking like thin upright carnifexes.

I'm pretty sure that all they have to bring against Blizzard is their regret over not having licensed their properties to Blizzard's vastly more competent creative ability.

I wonder if anyone at GW ever cried when they saw WoW's subscription numbers. Or when they realized that it could be Warhammer acting as a cultural ambassador on a level not seen since Mickey Mouse to Asian markets.

e: They deserve tears; they have a rich, Dune-inspired sci-fi-fantasy setting that pulled me in the minute I read a source book dedicated to society and politics and they can barely figure out what to do with it besides trying to turn kids into manchildren fapping over space marines.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 13, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Red Mundus posted:

This is interesting to hear because the only two people I know who like Anthony's books are my wife and a friend of hers she went to school with, who now lives in Sweden, who my wife sent an Anthony book to as part of a present/care package - now she is reading a bunch of his books. Both are leftist feminist turbo nerds. Maybe they haven't gotten to the creepy stuff yet?

I've never read any Piers Anthony. I just know his covers are weird as gently caress. Which is fine with me but they are very strange.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 13, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!
Honestly, most of his better-known books are okay. There's some sort of weird stuff in the early Xanth books, but for the most part it isn't really any weirder than actual mythology and has decent enough ethics and morals. The first Xanth book, for example, features the protagonist being offered sex for saving a girl, and turning it down because he just isn't comfortable with that. They eventually legitimately fall in love and get married.

He is way, way more comfortable and open about sex than most kid's authors. That isn't inherently a bad thing. It is when he crosses the wrong boundaries, though, and he is guilty of that as a whole- just not in every book or series.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Noam Chomsky posted:

This is interesting to hear because the only two people I know who like Anthony's books are my wife and a friend of hers she went to school with, who now lives in Sweden, who my wife sent an Anthony book to as part of a present/care package - now she is reading a bunch of his books. Both are leftist feminist turbo nerds. Maybe they haven't gotten to the creepy stuff yet?

I've never read any Piers Anthony. I just know his covers are weird as gently caress. Which is fine with me but they are very strange.

His early stuff tends to have a sex-positive aspect to it and having decent editors helps as well.

Now-a-days though it's bad. REALLY bad. He's a pedo apologist and one of his books had a short story written by a child rapist and in the afterword (or foreword) stated society should forgive and understand him as we all have fetishes and who are we to judge?

source posted:

Another one of the stories in Firefly was actually written by convicted child molester, Santiago Hernandez, who is possibly one of Piers' pedophile pen-pals. Ironically, this is one of the few non-sexual stories in the book, but that doesn't stop Anthony from questioning the reason behind the man's incarceration.

Piers Anthony posted:

"But this is another bit of evidence of the problem in our society: as far as I know, Santiago Hernandez did not hurt anyone. He just happens to be sexually attracted to small boys."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There is a legitimate point in there, where pedophiles who haven't acted on those urges (but who do have them) are afraid to identify themselves because of vilification. It's hampering research into treating those urges, since they've only got data from those who did act on the urges.

I have a feeling that that's not what Piers is talking about, though. And he's just a creepy fucker.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What is it with guys named Piers?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Every time I'm feeling down I remember that I'm not Piers Anthony's granddaughter and it really helps me appreciate my life.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the movie woulda been good like this tbh

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Lurdiak posted:

What is it with guys named Piers?

they become 007

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Right now a tyranid warrior is basically a hydralisk with legs and a gun practically bolted on, which is what gives rise to this Zerg Vs. Tyranid thing. I could go on, but the aesthetic is always close and the original Zerg/Tyranid fluff is identical on the main points. Neither of these were the original spaceborne communal bug creatures by a long shot. (What's important is that tyranids didn't look like this until 2001. Standard warnings apply, GW is not a good company, don't buy their stuff.)

Anyway, everyone I know is greeting this Warcraft movie with a mehhhh. The time to push this out was really 10 years ago, when "I played WoW when it was good" was not such a Thing. Now this movie looks rather trite, and the fantasy wave in movies is over. As discussed, we're also going over origin story stuff that's since been retconned almost beyond recognition. I think the only thing more stale would be trying to make a Forgotten Realms movie (which I think they are doing, actually).

Name Change fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 14, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah cause back in 1998 when Starcraft came out tyranid warriors looked like this.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah cause back in 1998 when Starcraft came out tyranid warriors looked like this.

Yeah they had a very different pulp mid-century scifi vibe to them and were recognizably humanoid.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so I was kind of confused when I saw this trailer before Star Wars, is this supposed to be based around Orcs and Humans? Is that why there were pretty much only humans featured and no one else that is in the Alliance?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

I don't know what I'm arguing for here, 'cause I don't have a horse in the race, but the guy on the left in the bottom picture is the same as the top guy without a dick cannon. He's also pretty much a 1998 zergling, or a 1998 zergling is pretty much him. Whatever. Blizzard and Games Workshop both exist because they've crammed every scifi or fantasy thing into their products and amped it up by a factor of cocaine.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 14, 2016

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dig the dudes shredding on his axe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aces High posted:

so I was kind of confused when I saw this trailer before Star Wars, is this supposed to be based around Orcs and Humans? Is that why there were pretty much only humans featured and no one else that is in the Alliance?

Yes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There are elves and dwarves in that big crowd shot in the trailer, there will probably be a goblin and a troll somewhere too

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aces High posted:

It's literally the plot of the first game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

computer parts posted:

It's literally the plot of the first game.

It's more like the plot of the really bad novels of the first game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lurdiak posted:

It's more like the plot of the really bad novels of the first game.

This is the most correct, warcraft really didn't have a story when it was released. And the campaign's were identical except you change sides. I think all the units were the same also. They didnt start to get different units intill warcraft 2.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

This is the most correct, warcraft really didn't have a story when it was released. And the campaign's were identical except you change sides. I think all the units were the same also. They didnt start to get different units intill warcraft 2.

Actually WC2 also had identical units. In both 1&2 the mage units were slightly different from one another, but 2 added a single upgrade difference between trolls and elves that was so expensive that it wouldn't show up in any multiplayer games.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Likely spurred on by an upcoming movie release/the fact that Blizzard is sitting on a money hose, Warcraft 3 is getting a patch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgBPaj4o5KY

Diablo 2 got a patch, as well.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 19, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Likely spurred on by an upcoming movie release/the fact that Blizzard is sitting on a money hose, Warcraft 3 is getting a patch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgBPaj4o5KY

Diablo 2's recent patch was basically just making the game more compatible with modern systems. They've been saying for over a year now that they plan to bring their classic games back to a playable state, so this isn't really a surprise.

Fingers crossed that this is part of a nefarious plot to bring us Warcraft 4.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

Diablo 2's recent patch was basically just making the game more compatible with modern systems. They've been saying for over a year now that they plan to bring their classic games back to a playable state, so this isn't really a surprise.

Fingers crossed that this is part of a nefarious plot to bring us Warcraft 4.

I had no idea they added matchmaking and modern poo poo to Warcraft 3 before this, so I'm going to go down memory lane today.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

didn't it always have matchmaking/ladder? i know there was arranged team since the beginning.

it's nice to see them patching their last good game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

didn't it always have matchmaking/ladder? i know there was arranged team since the beginning.

it's nice to see them patching their last good game.

Yeah, Warcraft 3 shipped in a state that would be basically considered "modern" today if not for the graphics. Matchmaking, ranking, ladders, the works. All it's missing are horribly unbalanced abilities that the better players can unlock to ruin the entire game like all the modern shooters have.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I still see people playing War3 among all the LoL in LAN cafes here, they might fit in some regular games as well as custom maps

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I saw they already have Warcraft movie figures in stores. They look like godawful cheaply made garbage and they cost $25. :lol

I can't find any pictures of them online. Just early prototype stuff that is WAY higher quality and detail than what is actually on shelves right now. They're this weird 4 ot 5-inch scale figures with limited articulation and look like they were molded and painted on the way to be shipped to the store. Meanwhile, the old WoW series of figures were like twice as big, twice as detailed, and cost half as much.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My assessment brought on by the recent patches is that Diablo 3 feels nearly unplayable these days but Warcraft 3 remains very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

My assessment brought on by the recent patches is that Diablo 3 feels nearly unplayable these days but Warcraft 3 remains very good.

Yo what's wrong with Diablo 3?

I haven't played much since season 3 (maybe two? I don't loving know) but it was pretty dang good then.

• Locked thread