Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Here's my current loadout for my Cobra III.

What can I do better here? I recently switched out my gun hardpoints as I figured having the cannons on the medium hardpoints would make more sense as it usually takes less time to kill the shields than hull on larger targets anyway.

I've turned off the cargo hatch to bring me below 100% power usage with hardpoints deployed too.

Currently got... 3 million in my account, and I don't know what to do really. I feel like I want to get a better ship, but I've no idea what to go for. Is it worth maybe buying a cargo ship to earn better trades (only done rare trading in the Cobra), and outfit the Cobra with the best power systems, and get rid of the cargo racks in favor of hull reinforcement packages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Falken posted:

What can I do better here? I recently switched out my gun hardpoints as I figured having the cannons on the medium hardpoints would make more sense as it usually takes less time to kill the shields than hull on larger targets anyway.

I've turned off the cargo hatch to bring me below 100% power usage with hardpoints deployed too.

Currently got... 3 million in my account, and I don't know what to do really. I feel like I want to get a better ship, but I've no idea what to go for. Is it worth maybe buying a cargo ship to earn better trades (only done rare trading in the Cobra), and outfit the Cobra with the best power systems, and get rid of the cargo racks in favor of hull reinforcement packages?

If you are wanting to do rares trading in the Cobra, you need to get a laden range of about 170ly to run the longest legs without refueling. You also want to have more cargo, as you need to get somewhere near 40t of capacity (the most I ever saw on a route was 43t).

If you have sufficient range, you don't need the scoop. Upgrade the cargo racks to the same size as the slot they are in.

This build is probably a decent rares trader - http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/03A4D4A3D3A3C4C1b1b--00-03034801f2f2.AwRj4yKA.Aw1-kA==

You don't need all the guns and the KWS, they are just extra weight.

I didn't downgrade your sensors to D, that would save more weight and slightly increase your range (another 2.x Ly), but the big changes are upgrading the FSD to A, and downgrading the shield to D to save weight. It's not a fighting build, so I dropped to just a pair of pulses which should be sufficient for any interdiction's you can't evade, if you don't want to just pop chaff and run.

Replace the class 2 cargo rack with a fuel scoop on your first run of the route just to be safe, but with 170ly range, you should be good as the longest leg is 169ly (on this route - https://i.imgur.com/SVpPHrv.jpg).

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
So after posting that, I managed to complete a mission that gave me 100k.

I've now upgraded my sidewinder a little and I'm shooting non cop/wanted dudes in the anarchy system in currently sat in.

It's working for getting a little cash and quite fun. I will upgrade my ship type and get some more toys when I have a little more cash over the weekend.

I'm playing on the xbox if it makes any difference at all, but I had another mission last night called running the gauntlet. It was to haul slaves for really good money but I couldn't work out where to find the contact for the destination to deliver said slaves. The mission details are awful from what I've found so far. Everything I've attempted I've failed at except one mission.

Mining make me want to kill myself after I tried that for a half hour and exploring was a little dull but got me some pocket change.

Edit:
Games very confusing as new player. What's a RES site and what's a rare?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Falken posted:

With the money you have, I'm not sure you can get a significantly better ship, more of a sidegrade (pretty much all ships in that price range have the same 2 medium 2 small hardpoints).

If you want to stick with multirole, the Cobra mkIII is still the best all around ship until you get to about 15 millions and can decently kit an Asp; I would rework and upgrade it to something like this (if you can actually hit things with fixed weapons on the small hardpoints great for you, I can't so I'd switch those to gimbals and put multicannons on the mediums - but weapons are personal preference so I left those as you already have), no reason to not have max size cargo racks, drop the KWS to D since it's only 0.5 km less range and saves money and power, get better thrusters and FSD to play the Cobra strenghts (speed and range), upgrade power plant accordingly, add some armor for when your pathetic shields eventually go down, either with bulkheads or sacrificing some cargo - possibly the size 2 cargo rack - for a hull reinforcement. You can keep upgrading the Cobra to all A fit, will cost you around 10 millions.

if you like pure combat instead the Viper Mk IV too, less maneuverable and slower but bigger shields and hull, and a bit less internal space. OTherwise the DBS is actually a decent upgrade in that it's much more maneuverable and the hardpoints are positioned better, but it will cost you more to properly fit for combat...

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Some post-Horizon exploration pics:

I found this guy 6,000ly from Sol, marooned in the bafflingly rusted remnants of a crashed ship. There's no way a normal human could've survived that long in an escape pod, so I reasoned he must be a Space Zombie and refrained from picking him up. This judgement was boosted when I found an identical pod 5km away from this one, this apparently being a Zombie Moon.

This was the first Metal Rich world I found without an atmosphere, although disappointingly this meant there were no open rivers of lava. However, it seems that different worlds have different spawn frequencies for synthesis materials, and if you want vanadium, head to a metal rich world. Every other asteroid on this world had it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I've now upgraded my sidewinder a little and I'm shooting non cop/wanted dudes in the anarchy system in currently sat in.

Don't bounty hunt in anarchy systems, my understanding is that since they are 'lawless', you don't get all the bounty rewards to turn in for payola.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Games very confusing as new player. What's a RES site and what's a rare?

RES is short for Resource Extraction Site. These are visible on your navigation panel and appear in planetary rings. Its where you would go to mine, but also where you go to hunt the pirates who are hunting miners. They come in Low, normal (no description), high, and Hazardous. There are cops and fairly weak pirates in Low, slightly harder pirates in normal, less cops and harder targets in High, and no cops and the hardest (but most profitable) pirates in the Hazardous.

Rares are commodity's that are available (in very limited quantity) at some stations that you can make large profits from moving over 160ly from that station before selling. The image linked in my last post has the 'rare' route that I tried, you simply follow that route and buy the rares (they show up in yellow in the commodity screen) at each station and then fly them 160ly and sell them. The rare 'route' maximizes the profit by having the sell point also be a station that has more rares to buy to continue the circle.

You can do a rare route in a Hauler, or any other ship that you can get good jump range and max range out of, while having 36-48 tons of cargo capacity.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Pictures! I knew I forgot something.

From my visit of Antares: A small and strange high metal planet with a lot of rings. (And a unhealthy dose of radiation from the two titanic suns in this system.)

This planet is rather hot, hopefully nothing bad happens!

Not visible: Me losing shields and part of my hull. The shadows are wavering. If I had thought of making a video, this here would really look like your ship could melt at any minute.

This is Antares itself, a orange super-giant. To take things into perspective: The small, barely visible blue sun down there is a giant itself.

I was sitting on this from a multiplayer-session. While trying out my lights, I discovered the station we were hanging around had some visible damage. Probably because there was a war ongoing at the time.

This looks a lot more interesting then the boring crater itself.

Chronologically, this is a whole lot earlier. It's a city in some permit star system. I suddenly got the permit after getting some Federal ranks, so I went to visit it.

For some reason, the people living here really didn't want some random commander rolling around outside their city.

After a long hunt around the outer walls, all those flying bots finally caught up with me.

The same system. I just wanted to visit the station called "Black Mausoleum". Because with that name, it must be really something!

Oh. Welp, neat station but nothing really interesting here.

From my effort in helping to locate the Starliner Antares. I found enough wreckage to get into the top 15%. For my help I got 25k credits. Something tells me the people in charge don't actually want that ship to be found. Call it a hunch.

Ice planet time!

Sometimes I just love this game!

The glaring white makes for nice, clean screenshots. No weird blue light nor strange heatwaves and dustclouds messing things up.

Speaking of dust, holy poo poo.

No seriously, you can't see poo poo on this planet. Rolling around in my SRV was an interesting, but really dirty experience. :shepface:

Some random planet just outside the bubble.

Time to land!

While driving around, I saw some strange light in the distance. Aliens?!

Uh, what? Some kind of illegal installation. No aliens though. :sigh:

Welp, obviously it's my duty to snipe those illegal defense turrets protecting the illegal whatever-base.

If you look closely, you see dust and stuff coming from what was once a very hurtfull anti-SRV weapon.

Anyway, back to duty!. Those things are apparently some sort of illegal extraction units, time to remove them!

Aaaand gone! Wait, mining fragments? So this is an illegal mining installation, now I get it!

Looks like the control center for this shindig. But the doors just laugh at my attempt to shoot my way in, so I leave the ruins of the installation. I declare OP success.

Time to go! And speculate over the damage this jump would cause over a populated planet. :shepface:

Stuff I confiscated in the line of duty. Minus the cache, that thing was already in there.

Canyon planet.

Of course I try to hit one of the canyons.

Then I get disappointed because this must be like the flattest canyon ever. Well, you can't win every time, I suppose. :shrug:

So, this was my own little collection of Horizon-screenshots.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Europa is pretty fun for flying around Canyons and such.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Aw man now I want Horizons.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Akion posted:

Europa is pretty fun for flying around Canyons and such.

Man there are countless other worlds in the galaxy, and you gotta attempt landings THERE of all places

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Sarsapariller posted:

Your name is the name of a good comic so I'm going to share my Asp build-
http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/04A5A5A4D4A5D5C--18---000404-05f5f3402tf22f.Iw18WQ==.MwBhrSuhGAmc4g==?bn=Ezz%20Smuggler

It is entirely built around slave running. Fuel tanks so you never have to stop between Robigo and your first destination, only 64T of cargo (that is like 10 missions simultaneously- you can trade fuel for cargo if you want more). A single gun so you can interrupt scans by popping hardpoints. Max thrusters, max FSD, then cut weight on everything else.

Edit- also, Sothis is pretty good I hear.

Hehe, thanks. Yeah, my build is similar, with no weapons at all (only chaff and shield boosters) and having capacity for 72 tons of cargo, with a 5C fuel scoop because I want my stops to be as short as possible. Extra cargo is for safety margins and the occasional normal cargo haul mission. Ideally, I want to keep as close as possible to the 30ly jump range.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HJE-Cobra posted:

Man there are countless other worlds in the galaxy, and you gotta attempt landings THERE of all places

I'm actually kinda glad you can't probe Uranus.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

seeing all these exploration photos makes me feel fuzzy inside :3: I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves a little up-close stargazing and planet-bumbling

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm actually kinda glad you can't probe Uranus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6rtQ0-ez4g

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Libluini posted:

From my effort in helping to locate the Starliner Antares. I found enough wreckage to get into the top 15%. For my help I got 25k credits. Something tells me the people in charge don't actually want that ship to be found. Call it a hunch.

Well you say that, but...

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

quote:

This discovery could serve as the catalyst for a whole new era of interplanetary travel.
Aha, so that's how they're going to explain adding in-system jumps between stars :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its going to be either a new type of jump drive thats weaker long distance jumps but the ability to do in system jumping or another module that takes a spot that could be used for domething else.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its going to be either a new type of jump drive thats weaker long distance jumps but the ability to do in system jumping or another module that takes a spot that could be used for domething else.

One of these days Frontier are going to discover how to do passive railroading, but until then i think it's kinda cute that they're at least willing to try to make it look like we were involved in it

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
did frontier really nerf 17 drac?

:laffo:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
It's refreshing how much more entertaining exploration gets when you take the time to do some serious reading on how stellar classification works. Jumping from Herbigs to supergiants to entire clusters of neutron stars and black holes just from scanning the galmap in realistic mode is a good time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

A Vulture makes mad money in a High RES. One continuous furball for an hour, landed with 3 million+ in bounty's. I think I'm just going to stick with the 2 pulse lasers, they get the job done and don't require a lot of micro-management. I have given up on bothering with the KWS though and replaced it with a 2nd shield booster.

I have settled on this: http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A5A4A3D5A4B3C1e1e00000404B22b272524.AwRj4zyA.CwBhGYCYxBGXKXOWxTCA?bn=Current%20Vulture

I upped the sensors to B, and love them, it's a fantastic upgrade for flying around looking for bad guys to shoot. A sensors need too much power though. As it is I have to lower weapons power slightly when I start taking hits, or the systems can't recharge the shield and run the chaff dispensers at the same time. I reset my power priorities so that it shuts off the docking computer as soon as weapons are deployed, and if something takes too much drain after that, the FSD will go down next. So far that hasn't bitten me in the rear end, since I haven't had to run. FDL's are surprisingly soft and tasty eating (NPC's).

Is there a way to hot-key subsystem targetting? It sucks to have to go into that panel each time in order to target the powerplant, so I only do it on the big ships, Python+.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Locator posted:

Is there a way to hot-key subsystem targetting? It sucks to have to go into that panel each time in order to target the powerplant, so I only do it on the big ships, Python+.
I use a VoiceAttack macro that hits my "cycle previous subsystem" hotkey six times in a row. That does the trick for most ships, though it might miss by one on some ships due to variations in number of subsystems (usually it lands on the FSD in those cases and I can just hit the button once more myself).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Helter Skelter posted:

I use a VoiceAttack macro that hits my "cycle previous subsystem" hotkey six times in a row. That does the trick for most ships, though it might miss by one on some ships due to variations in number of subsystems (usually it lands on the FSD in those cases and I can just hit the button once more myself).

Ah, so I need to find the cycle previous/next subsystem things and hotkey those, that will work well enough for me, I can hit it until I find the PP while I'm chewing through the shields easy enough. Thank you.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Helter Skelter posted:

Same. Works very well.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

are you talking about the smuggling missions or the rep donation stuff?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Went nebula sight seeing :3:

Dumbbell Nebula

The entire sky is a beautiful dark purple and pink

Veil Nebula West

It's like a giant strip of toothpaste!

I flew like 300k LS to get to this little ice moon, I probably should have just flown to a different system for a closer planet but eh, it's just so nice!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kuvo posted:

are you talking about the smuggling missions or the rep donation stuff?

I got to chief petty officer in like 2 days of doing a few draconis runs in each so Im guessing the rep part is fine still unless things changed since last week.

It was hard getting smuggling missions for the return trip though.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Sarsapariller posted:

Your name is the name of a good comic so I'm going to share my Asp build-
http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/04A5A5A4D4A5D5C--18---000404-05f5f3402tf22f.Iw18WQ==.MwBhrSuhGAmc4g==?bn=Ezz%20Smuggler

It is entirely built around slave running. Fuel tanks so you never have to stop between Robigo and your first destination, only 64T of cargo (that is like 10 missions simultaneously- you can trade fuel for cargo if you want more). A single gun so you can interrupt scans by popping hardpoints. Max thrusters, max FSD, then cut weight on everything else.

Edit- also, Sothis is pretty good I hear.

Wait does just popping hardpoints interrupt scans? If so that's awesome to know and I'm definitely gonna add a gun to mine.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Jack the Lad posted:

Wait does just popping hardpoints interrupt scans? If so that's awesome to know and I'm definitely gonna add a gun to mine.
Shooting the cop scanning you will interrupt it. Any minor bounty you may incur while doing this will clear on its own in about 10 minutes.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
When I go to buy a ship, I think it says I own a Viper for some reason, and in the Galaxy map I see the red hangar icon in a system super far away. Did they give Vipers away to everyone a long while ago?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Yeah, it was party of an Christmas thing for newbies.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Helter Skelter posted:

Shooting the cop scanning you will interrupt it. Any minor bounty you may incur while doing this will clear on its own in about 10 minutes.

Ah, okay. Sounds risky since you only have 10 seconds once the scan starts.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

DarkAvenger211 posted:

When I go to buy a ship, I think it says I own a Viper for some reason, and in the Galaxy map I see the red hangar icon in a system super far away. Did they give Vipers away to everyone a long while ago?

Yes and it is a pretty good ship. I recommend picking it up and either keeping it or selling it for a Cobra MK III.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Interdiction escape : shoot, chaff and leave.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I went there yesterday after reddit freaked out about it and there were assloads of donation missions, but no cash missions. I don't know if that's normal or not.

Jack the Lad posted:

Ah, okay. Sounds risky since you only have 10 seconds once the scan starts.

I never actually shoot, I just target and deploy hardpoints while boosting away at max speed. I'm told this stops the scan, but I've never stuck around to find out (and I've never been scanned, so it works for me... so far).

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 14, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Yeah, god forbid you don't do any missions except scum donations to progress in the game, or to take hauling missions and just give up and sell the items because the fine doesn't matter.

:frontear: should know that if a player finds a way to do something with absolutely no effort required, they will abuse the hell out of it. Perhaps if they fixed the broken missions, people would actually do them. Nobody likes waiting 40 minutes to find out that their target will not show up due to a bug. The "time of arrival" for things are generally wrong if you need to meet somebody, or interdict something at a certain time. Being contacted with the delivery location will only show up after the timer expires to wait another 40 minutes for the guy to spawn, and then he won't show up at all.

The reason players are scumming the system is because the system is broken. Trying to throw players into doing something they don't want to do because it's broken in the first place doesn't help fix it. It's like you have a boat that's sinking, and the players are using buckets to get the water out of the boat. Frontier is taking away the buckets and telling them to use their hands to get the water out, without even trying to fix the holes in the boat which they are able to do.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Yeah, god forbid you don't do any missions except scum donations to progress in the game, or to take hauling missions and just give up and sell the items because the fine doesn't matter.

:frontear: should know that if a player finds a way to do something with absolutely no effort required, they will abuse the hell out of it. Perhaps if they fixed the broken missions, people would actually do them. Nobody likes waiting 40 minutes to find out that their target will not show up due to a bug. The "time of arrival" for things are generally wrong if you need to meet somebody, or interdict something at a certain time. Being contacted with the delivery location will only show up after the timer expires to wait another 40 minutes for the guy to spawn, and then he won't show up at all.

The reason players are scumming the system is because the system is broken. Trying to throw players into doing something they don't want to do because it's broken in the first place doesn't help fix it. It's like you have a boat that's sinking, and the players are using buckets to get the water out of the boat. Frontier is taking away the buckets and telling them to use their hands to get the water out, without even trying to fix the holes in the boat which they are able to do.

Having a mission system set up so people could take a mission, get free goods, abandon the mission, and sell the goods for tons of profit, all without leaving the station, is really really dumb, and I'm glad they're trying to fix that. There are of course tons of other problems with the mission system, and I hope Frontier keeps working on those too.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Well :frontear: have done it again,

Logged in today and rather than just logging me in it forced an email verification claiming that this is a new computer!

Nice one!

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TheresaJayne posted:

Well :frontear: have done it again,

Logged in today and rather than just logging me in it forced an email verification claiming that this is a new computer!

Nice one!

Every time I have to update the launcher it makes me verify the account. Sometimes it'll do it if I haven't logged in for awhile too.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Somebody found one of the alien barnacle things they've been hinting about :

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=222049&page=313

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

The Locator posted:

A Vulture makes mad money in a High RES. One continuous furball for an hour, landed with 3 million+ in bounty's. I think I'm just going to stick with the 2 pulse lasers, they get the job done and don't require a lot of micro-management. I have given up on bothering with the KWS though and replaced it with a 2nd shield booster.

I have settled on this: http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A5A4A3D5A4B3C1e1e00000404B22b272524.AwRj4zyA.CwBhGYCYxBGXKXOWxTCA?bn=Current%20Vulture

I upped the sensors to B, and love them, it's a fantastic upgrade for flying around looking for bad guys to shoot. A sensors need too much power though. As it is I have to lower weapons power slightly when I start taking hits, or the systems can't recharge the shield and run the chaff dispensers at the same time. I reset my power priorities so that it shuts off the docking computer as soon as weapons are deployed, and if something takes too much drain after that, the FSD will go down next. So far that hasn't bitten me in the rear end, since I haven't had to run. FDL's are surprisingly soft and tasty eating (NPC's).

How do you like the bi-weave shields vs STD? Does the faster recycle time work out better than up front endurance?

• Locked thread