Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

gwrtheyrn posted:

A little more likely since you can do 2x temple. I'm not too up to date on what lists could have more ways to grab 4 mana on turn 2. eye + urborg gets 4 mana but doesn't produce the colorless.

On the bright side this means you probably can't get t1 thoughtseized and t2 thought knot seered

T1 - Urborg - Thoughtseize
T2 - Eye of ugin - Thought-knot Seer

100% possible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Cauldron Moose posted:

100% possible!

There is no colorless source. Eye of ugin reduces generic mana and both lands tap for black

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Cauldron Moose posted:

100% possible!

Produces BB, which can't cast something that costs {1}{C}.

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

gwrtheyrn posted:

There is no colorless source. Eye of ugin reduces generic mana and both lands tap for black

Ah, of course. Better to make the mistake here than in a game, though!

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
You can do T1 Thoughtseize T2 Thought-Knot if you're playing in the mirror and your opponent leads with Urborg.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cauldron Moose posted:

100% possible!

Double Eldrazi Temple or Temple/Eye does give a T2 Seer mind, not to be sniffed at.

What's in the Oath preprelease packs? Is it a seeded pack, three Oath and 2 BFZ? I forgot how the promos are done now, maybe it's just six packs and a bonus stamped rare?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 14, 2016

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Double Eldrazi Temple or Temple/Eye does give a T2 Seer mind, not to be sniffed at.

What's in the Oath preprelease packs? Is it a seeded pack, three Oath and 2 BFZ? I forgot how the promos are done now, maybe it's just six packs and a bonus stamped rare?

4 oath, 2 BFZ, bonus stamped rare.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

kizudarake posted:

Sounds fine, although it seems a shame to get fewer rare rolls on Oath.

Wondering if I'm going to regret not pre-ordering Thought-knot. I think rare value is going to have a better distribution this set, but it's a card a lot of folks seem keen on trying in the modern deck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

kizudarake posted:

With the stamped rare being playable.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I actually bought some of these 2 months ago based off an MTGLion video. The Chinese fakes are two things: Hilariously bad or perfect. Some cards are brighter on the back and feel like poo poo and some others you can't tell it's a fake.

I just wanted to bring this back because in the time that I've been investigating chinese fakes (for real trying to find ways to identify them) I have still never seen one that isn't immediately obvious if you just pull out a loupe. This includes some of those fakes from a few months ago that people freaked out at a GP over.

If you're ever really worried about fakes, grab a loupe off amazon (its like 10 bucks) and just look at the text on the card. Is it printed as a hard-edged layer of ink above the printing on the rest of the card? Congrats, it's real, and I've seen no evidence anywhere of a fake being able to come close to matching that.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
haha the idea of a mouthbreather with a binder holding a flipjace up to the fluorescent light at the convention center with a jeweler's loupe jammed in his eye is hilarious to me

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
"hmm, first run printing..." *sniffs card deeply* "...opened in australia..." *waggles card past ear* "...stored at optimal humidity..." *runs finger along length of card and touches his fingertip delicately to the tip of his tongue "...and played in three SCG tournaments, top 8'ing once."

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

With the stamped rare being playable.

There have been pre-releases with unplayable promos haven't there? Like something where there was just one promo? Can't remember but I feel that's happened since Innistrad?

Edit: ^ dread to think what you would see if the florescent light was turned back on them.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lancelot posted:

"hmm, first run printing..." *sniffs card deeply* "...opened in australia..." *waggles card past ear* "...stored at optimal humidity..." *runs finger along length of card and touches his fingertip delicately to the tip of his tongue "...and played in three SCG tournaments, top 8'ing once."

*licks card* hint of citrus.... This is a counterfeit, a true card tastes like almonds!!!!!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

There have been pre-releases with unplayable promos haven't there? Like something where there was just one promo? Can't remember but I feel that's happened since Innistrad?
They only became playable in R2R block prereleasese.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, I had a Biovisionary in my DGM Simic pack. That was pretty unplayable!

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Edit: got eem!

ScarletBrother fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 14, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah, I had a Biovisionary in my DGM Simic pack. That was pretty unplayable!

A 3 mana 2/3 is playable, just not good.

With the current system I'm looking forward to tales of people getting a date-stamped foil Call The Gatewatch as their promo rare. :geno:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

I just wanted to bring this back because in the time that I've been investigating chinese fakes (for real trying to find ways to identify them) I have still never seen one that isn't immediately obvious if you just pull out a loupe. This includes some of those fakes from a few months ago that people freaked out at a GP over.

You don't even need a loupe, the best examples only look good at a glance, in a sleeve. The worst of them have painfully bad errors, I saw Batterskull without a set symbol (think I posted it in the last mtg thread) and I've seen cards like Imperial Recruiter with the wrong rarity symbol.

But somehow people are still being fooled and buying fake duals at events, so do the needful and mark your proxies everybody.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lancelot posted:

Its like Olivander from HP but for magic cards!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jassi007 posted:

Its like Olivander from HP but for magic cards!

Too soon bro. :(

TheKingofSprings posted:

How many Zombie Wizards are there in Magic

I need to know which one would make the best alter

Nekusar is pretty notable.

But it's pretty small, though.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 14, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How many Zombie Wizards are there in Magic

I need to know which one would make the best alter

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
There are 24

Dralnu is the best tho. Yixlid Jailer is also pretty cool.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I completely missed

quote:

If you see something in a private venue that you can reasonably believe is real, especially if it's prior to preview season, you may be in possession of stolen property.
You wouldn't download a car!

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 14, 2016

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Zoness posted:

There are 24

Dralnu is the best tho. Yixlid Jailer is also pretty cool.

zombie venser will be great

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
gaby spartz is gonna be a commentator moving forward, i don't really know who she is but getting women into the booth isn't a bad thing

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mandatory lesbian posted:

gaby spartz is gonna be a commentator moving forward, i don't really know who she is but getting women into the booth isn't a bad thing

I'm not super clear how she got from obscurity to recognition, other than being a female who streams magic, is decent at it, and relatively normal. She made a connection with LSV somehow, he's promoted her stream etc. and she wrote a women in magic article for CFB.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

jassi007 posted:

I'm not super clear how she got from obscurity to recognition, other than being a female who streams magic, is decent at it, and relatively normal.

I think given the pool to choose from, that's plenty.

I watch her stream from time to time, she's entertaining. Last night she was shitfaced running RG tron.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

jassi007 posted:

I'm not super clear how she got from obscurity to recognition, other than being a female who streams magic, is decent at it, and relatively normal. She made a connection with LSV somehow, he's promoted her stream etc. and she wrote a women in magic article for CFB.

Her day job is running a pair of content aggregator / clickbait-y sites - she has all the tools and knowledge needed to promote herself on top of her other positives.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Gaby was one of the best commentators on the Super League, and is a drat sight better than Randy Buehler or BDM, so good for us.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Terrible Horse posted:

I think given the pool to choose from, that's plenty.

I watch her stream from time to time, she's entertaining. Last night she was shitfaced running RG tron.

Agree. I like her stream. I'm more saying she didn't rise up in the ranks because she's super good at magic. That isn't to say she's bad, but like Kenji she's better than most, probably not pro tour caliber player like Melissa Del Toro. Putting her in a coverage role is perfect, she plays a lot, is good, can speak well. Looks like some upcoming coverage teams are her, Marshall, and LSV. I think that is a great team, Marshall/LSV are fun to listen to on lrcast, and LSV/Gabby are fun to watch stream together.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jassi007 posted:

There does appear to be some kind of pattern when it comes to women that get into broadcasting.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

There does appear to be some kind of pattern when it comes to women that get into broadcasting.

Yes she is attractive if that is what you mean, however she isn't an empty shell when it comes to magic. She speaks well in public and is knowledgeable enough about the game to do a good job in coverage.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Who makes a good commentator seems to be very hard to predict. Kenji and PV, both great players, got their shot and were underwhelming and don't seem to be invited back anytime soon. Huey surprisingly resulted in a ton of dead air when I was watching, despite LSV and Marshall's best efforts. Randy is terrible but keeps reappearing. Who knows.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Also, I didn't make the connection, but her husband is a very famous/influential person, which certainly can't hurt your chances.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Interesting people only look for "patterns" when it comes to women getting into the booth.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Niton posted:

Also, I didn't make the connection, but her husband is a very famous/influential person, which certainly can't hurt your chances.

Forbes and Privacy Badger don't play well together. Who is her husband?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I like how it took about 8 posts before anyone was brave enough to mention Gaby Spartz is hot. Congratulations on your courage guys!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

jassi007 posted:

Forbes and Privacy Badger don't play well together. Who is her husband?

Her husband is Emerson Spartz, the founder of an enormous Harry Potter fansite called MuggleNet (at the age of 12.

I didn't really know anything about the guy, but reading up on him he's really quite impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Kenji is cute too but he's not a good commentator.

• Locked thread