Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

gohmak posted:

One change I really don't like is turning Amos from the only Earther with the balls to get fall out drunk, gamble and gently caress hookers in a belter brothel into a captain save a male ho.

I think they're hinting at Amos's upbringing by transferring a lot of stuff from later books forward. Perhaps some of the hanging-out-with-Fred stuff got shuffled to a later episode?

Also I could watch Jared Harris as Dawes all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Yeah, just because he doesn't dive in doesn't mean Amos doesn't get it. Again, I haven't read the books but I thought that was a strong character moment for someone who's been mostly a (deliberately) blank slate.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

OK so OPA is Outer Planets Alliance.

What's MCRN actually stand for? Mars ??? ??? Navy.

Really enjoying the show but feels like I missed an intro crawl or exposition somewhere for some of the terms.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Martian Congressional Republic

Chard posted:

Yeah, just because he doesn't dive in doesn't mean Amos doesn't get it. Again, I haven't read the books but I thought that was a strong character moment for someone who's been mostly a (deliberately) blank slate.

Pretty much my thoughts on it. If he'd actually been celebrating something, like a cash infusion to blow through, he'd probably be off doing that, but he's dealing with "emotions" at the moment. I like to think he stoked a brawl thirty seconds after the scene cut, instead.

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 14, 2016

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

VodeAndreas posted:

Really enjoying the show but feels like I missed an intro crawl or exposition somewhere for some of the terms.

Martian Colonial Republic Navy? (Just a guess)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
OPA should be Space Greeks whose entire economy is based on tzatziki, saganaki and moussaka.

Perhaps they could even co-own a comedy club with the Space Mormons.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Catzilla posted:

Martian Colonial Republic Navy? (Just a guess)

Close! It's Mars Congressional Republic Navy.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

VodeAndreas posted:

OPA Outer Planets Alliance. Belters and Jovians.
MCRN Mars Congressional Republic Navy
UN United Nations. Earth and Luna

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Are OPA a formal military or terrorists?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Both, neither. The OPA has a lot of internal conflict and many different people who have differing ideas about how to achieve their ultimate political ends which is basically to end the exploitation of the belters by the inner planets and achieve political independence. There are radical segments of the OPA who are terrorists through and through and there are more moderate segments which form a quasi-government. At the moment they are not recognized as a formal government by either Mars or Earth who consider the stations in the belt and the colonies on the outer planets to belong to Earth and Mars based corporations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Paramilitary

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Political movement consisting of different factions with varying degrees of rhetoric and tactics.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
They're terrorists according to the UN an MCR. But start morphing into a quasi government with a formal military, although there are rogue elements of the group that do not agree with the direction mainstream process the organization begins to take.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

They're terrorists according to the UN an MCR. But start morphing into a quasi government with a formal military, although there are rogue elements of the group that do not agree with the direction mainstream process the organization begins to take.

They're the IRA of a hundred years ago with Dawes serving as Eamon de Valera.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This show is still pretty cool. Are the books all done, or are we going to run into a Game of Thrones where the TV show takes over the books and the few people who can read get all tut tutt about it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

At this pace the show will never catch up with the books, it's moving too slowly and the authors bump those things out fast

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They're the IRA of a hundred years ago with Dawes serving as Eamon de Valera.

I was just about to post this.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Philthy posted:

This show is still pretty cool. Are the books all done, or are we going to run into a Game of Thrones where the TV show takes over the books and the few people who can read get all tut tutt about it.

"Babylon's Ashes" is the sixth book, supposed to come out in June.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Kesper North posted:

It seems like the sort of thing Belters are raised from childhood to never, ever, ever do.

So of course the young, dumb ones make a point of doing it.

Might even become a spiritual thing, like baptism of the void or something.

The biggest risk is falling unconscious - as the dissolved gases in your bloodstream start to boil, you lose consciousness within 15 seconds iirc. So if you are slow or have any trouble at all getting your helmet back on, :rip:

Your blood doesn't boil in space due to tissue pressures and blood pressure in general. The whole 'blood boils in space' comes from some freshmen physics students doing calculations of blood by itself - the reality is more complicated.

It just causes some inflammation to the skin from the exposure.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Philthy posted:

Look at their consistency of book releases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(novel_series)#Works

1 Leviathan Wakes - June 15, 2011
2 Caliban's War- June 26, 2012
3 Abaddon's Gate - June 4, 2013
4 Cibola Burn - June 17, 2014
5 Nemesis Games - June 2, 2015
6 Babylon's Ashes - June 16, 2016

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Philthy posted:

They are going a lot slower than the books, so it seems like they have little chance of catching up. If they get cancelled before catching up, several of the books end without leaving too many loose ends hanging, so I feel like we're good either way.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Goreld posted:

Your blood doesn't boil in space due to tissue pressures and blood pressure in general. The whole 'blood boils in space' comes from some freshmen physics students doing calculations of blood by itself - the reality is more complicated.

It just causes some inflammation to the skin from the exposure.

Okay, a little hyperbole. You're right in that it doesn't boil, per se - but gas bubbles do form in the bloodstream, leading rapidly to unconsciousness within fifteen seconds, as the bubbles cut off blood flow to the brain as they form. (Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/survival-in-space-unprotected-possible/)

Incidentally, to get into a modern spacesuit requires the astronaut perform hours of decompression and recompression to avoid the bends, because they have use low air pressures to allow the suits to be flexible enough for work, a requirement that never shows up in science fiction because it would ruin virtually every plot that involves EVA. The Mark III prototype being tested by NASA supposedly doesn't require oxygen prebreathing, so hopefully this issue can be solved using current technology.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

swampface posted:

They are going a lot slower than the books, so it seems like they have little chance of catching up. If they get cancelled before catching up, several of the books end without leaving too many loose ends hanging, so I feel like we're good either way.

Book 3 would be a good place to finish at

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kesper North posted:

Okay, a little hyperbole. You're right in that it doesn't boil, per se - but gas bubbles do form in the bloodstream, leading rapidly to unconsciousness within fifteen seconds, as the bubbles cut off blood flow to the brain as they form. (Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/survival-in-space-unprotected-possible/)

Incidentally, to get into a modern spacesuit requires the astronaut perform hours of decompression and recompression to avoid the bends, because they have use low air pressures to allow the suits to be flexible enough for work, a requirement that never shows up in science fiction because it would ruin virtually every plot that involves EVA. The Mark III prototype being tested by NASA supposedly doesn't require oxygen prebreathing, so hopefully this issue can be solved using current technology.

Yeah, though I give this show a pass since if they can have drugs that reduce the strain g forces have on the body they probably also have drugs that better filter nitrogen in the blood.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, though I give this show a pass since if they can have drugs that reduce the strain g forces have on the body they probably also have drugs that better filter nitrogen in the blood.

I'll admit I didn't pay too close attention to the EVA suits, but did they have articulated joints? Because that would allow higher pressure suit environments. Gloves might be problematic.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I thought the helmet scene was supposed to show that people who grew up in space can do poo poo regular humans can't

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Basically Johnson's OPA are a bunch of belters who pooled resources and built Tycho Station, aka the biggest shipyard and trade hub in the belt. Between that and a bunch of loosely aligned belter trade unions and shipping companies, he has something that's almost a government.

Most OPA 'members' though probably don't actually work for him or any of the OPA companies or unions. They just agree with his politics, get a tattoo or three and drink with other people who think the same.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

Basically Johnson's OPA are a bunch of belters who pooled resources and built Tycho Station, aka the biggest shipyard and trade hub in the belt. Between that and a bunch of loosely aligned belter trade unions and shipping companies, he has something that's almost a government.

Most OPA 'members' though probably don't actually work for him or any of the OPA companies or unions. They just agree with his politics, get a tattoo or three and drink with other people who think the same.

Yeah It's more a loose coalition with the same general goals and ideology

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Strategic Tea posted:

In the books I think they say Tycho station was built by an Earther family/corporation, only that they actually care about Belter rights.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

etalian posted:

Rocinante is pretty good literary joke given Holden's personality. Similar to Don Quixote Holden is obsessed at chasing windmills, has similar messiah complex and isn't cynical enough to see how hosed the world really is.
In Don Quixote, Rocinante is a worn-out old work horse, much like the nobleman himself. It's funny that both Holden and the Roci in this series, are young and impetuous, a brand-new captain and a brand-new ship.

Philthy posted:

Doesn't really matter with the way they're pick and choosing content from different books. It reminds me of Legend of the Seeker where they just do a monster of the week format, involving some small arc from Terry Goodkind's sword of truth books. The show is way more worth watching than the books are worth reading in that case.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 15, 2016

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I thought the helmet scene was supposed to show that people who grew up in space can do poo poo regular humans can't

I think it's part of the whole Belter cultural thing. Their (old) suits leave fat-rear end neck scars so presumably they were a tight seal below that point. You could open a faceplate for a few seconds and be okay in that case. Although if it were me I'd prefer if it were a little trickier to open my faceplate than just you know handling it :stare:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
How can you possibly translate Avasarala to television without the full power of her obscenity?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Subterfrugal posted:

How can you possibly translate Avasarala to television without the full power of her obscenity?

I'm hoping that the more she has to put up with Holden's crazy poo poo, the more she'll start swearing.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

flosofl posted:

I'll admit I didn't pay too close attention to the EVA suits, but did they have articulated joints? Because that would allow higher pressure suit environments. Gloves might be problematic.

Some of them might, but I really liked how when the young belter got dumped out of his ship he just hung there with his arms frozen because his suit was basically a giant balloon at that point.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh I was wondering about that. I like that they're trying to be as hard as they can on the science. On the same note, I can see plenty of folks frequently go "Hurrr durrr durrr that's silly!" and being put them off for no reason.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

ShakeZula posted:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0236495/?ref_=tt_cl_t12

Shawn Doyle, who you might recognize from 80% of television produced in the last decade. I know him from Big Love.

He also looks really similar to MMA fighter Tim Kennedy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finished Cibola Burn and went straight into Nemesis Games. I hope I never have to experience Elvi ever again but I'm sorry that Miller is gone :(

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

beerinator posted:

Look at their consistency of book releases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(novel_series)#Works

1 Leviathan Wakes - June 15, 2011
2 Caliban's War- June 26, 2012
3 Abaddon's Gate - June 4, 2013
4 Cibola Burn - June 17, 2014
5 Nemesis Games - June 2, 2015
6 Babylon's Ashes - June 16, 2016

My god, after seeing books in the Song of Ice and Fire series constantly be delayed and having to wait extra long for books from my other favorite fantasy authors, I just bow down and worship at that level of consistency. I can't imagine churning out 550 pages a year, even as a two-person team. I suppose that people like Stephen King and John Grisham just laugh at that as they pop out well over 1k a year on average though.

Kesper North posted:

Hmm, I didn't know that was the deal with current spacesuits. I have no problem assuming that was an issue they solved in the future from a pure suit standpoint, no fancy drugs required.

On a similar note, for all the talk of how belter bodies are always wrecked by working in zero/low g and constantly being in space, I'd like to see a belter who is a crazily good fighter/physical specimen and just the deadliest dude or lady in a weightless environment. Basically, give me zero-g fight sequences, please and thank you.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 15, 2016

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Nahhh they are still human. It just belters have lived in hard vacuum their whole life and know all the tips and tricks on dealing with such a harsh environment. Notice how he breathed out before opening his space suit to get all the air out of his lungs?

It only looks amazing since have no experience with hard vacuum and what a person can and can not do in such a place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Subterfrugal posted:

I love the actress but I do hope that as they get into more of the pre-existing story for her they ramp up the language some.

• Locked thread