Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hellsau posted:

Kenji is cute too but he's not a good commentator.

Nobody watches Kenji for the commentary.

We watch Kenji because he spews drafts off so we don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

odiv posted:

Interesting people only look for "patterns" when it comes to women getting into the booth.

I'm personally not looking for a pattern, I just said i didn't know how she went from obscurity to recognized magic community member. Marshall started a podcast with his buddy/designer serach contestant John Loucks, LSV is a crazy good player who has a pro resume a mile long, Gabby afaik is a streamer that LSV started interacting with and wrote an article about women in Magic for CFB. I personally take an interest in the "known" people of magic regardless of their gender. People's stories are interesting to me.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

Nobody watches Kenji for the commentary.

We watch Kenji because he spews drafts off so we don't have to.

He's funny/entertaining in a way that wouldn't translate well to coverage. I mean personally I'd like to watch Kenji cover a PT draft when someone cracks a foil goyf and he just shouts GET THE SLEEVE! but most people wouldn't.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 14, 2016

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Hmm, so why is Modern Zombies not a deck? I mean Modern Goblins is a tier 2 deck. Merfolk is basically a tier 1 deck. Zombies has solid lords, black has good cards in it.

Seems like a Aether Vial fuel zombie deck that runs lots of disruption and removal would be pretty solid.....

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Was specifically talking about Sickening's "subtext", jassi007.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

odiv posted:

Was specifically talking about Sickening's "subtext", jassi007.

goony goon says something creepy about women

water is wet

life goes on.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

odiv posted:

Interesting people only look for "patterns" when it comes to women getting into the booth.

well of course, no females could ever have the natural talent of a man so she must have gotten it by trickery

now let me tell you about how wizards banning the rapist was bad

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Going to be in Fremont California for work the next few weeks. Looking at possibly hitting up a pre-release event/day this weekend. Anyone have suggestions for where to hit up or what places are good.

Thanks

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hellsau posted:

Gaby was one of the best commentators on the Super League, and is a drat sight better than Randy Buehler or BDM, so good for us.

That isn't saying much the commentary on the super leagues is MISERABLE. Who the hell does Randy have pictures of?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mcmagic posted:

That isn't saying much the commentary on the super leagues is MISERABLE. Who the hell does Randy have pictures of?

considering they were Randy's baby, apparently not enough good commentators

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

anglachel posted:

Hmm, so why is Modern Zombies not a deck? I mean Modern Goblins is a tier 2 deck. Merfolk is basically a tier 1 deck. Zombies has solid lords, black has good cards in it.

Seems like a Aether Vial fuel zombie deck that runs lots of disruption and removal would be pretty solid.....

My guess is that it's because zombies as a tribe are mostly about grinding out a long game with value based recursion, which is just not a strategy that works in a format like Modern.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Barry Shitpeas posted:

considering they were Randy's baby, apparently not enough good commentators

The super leagues are a great idea. The production values were garbage, not sure if they've gotten better or not but they were crap. Also the rotating streamers is not attractive to me. Many of the players are not all that great at commentating on Magic.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

anglachel posted:

I kinda wanna do this but I also really don't wanna burn the cash on Aether Vial.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Do zombies have anything as aggressively costed as the 8 Lord of Atlantises?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Do zombies have anything as aggressively costed as the 8 Lord of Atlantises?

No, most of the zombie lords are XX1 (Death Baron, Diregraf Captain, Lord of the Undead) or more (Risen Executioner, Mikeaus)

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 14, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

jassi007 posted:

The super leagues are a great idea. The production values were garbage, not sure if they've gotten better or not but they were crap. Also the rotating streamers is not attractive to me. Many of the players are not all that great at commentating on Magic.

Counterpoint: Rich Shay and LSV commentating this week. :allears:

But most of the time it's not that good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

odiv posted:

Sickening posted:

There does appear to be some kind of pattern when it comes to women that get into broadcasting.

Excuse me sir! Do you have the time to discuss your local MRA? It will only take a moment and it could change your life.

Serperoth posted:

Counterpoint: Rich Shay and LSV commentating this week. :allears:

"I think his first name is Kai." The VSL has always had great commentary, though obviously some (Rich, LSV, Dave Williams) have been better than others. I don't think any of them have been bad in the VSL specifically. I don't doubt that Randy is terrible at standard and modern commentary because I don't think he ever plays those formats.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

Kenji is cute too but he's not a good commentator.

What does Kenjia Egashira do that isn't meme-ing and making me remember that there is a Kenji that isn't Tsumura?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'll be a commentator.

STRENGTHS: can constantly make every play sound like it was the most genius move by supermen, knows cards

WEAKNESSES: my voice sounds like a convicted felon's, must refer to Undertale at least once every two hours lest the Wasting set in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

anglachel posted:

A guy at my old LGS actually had some pretty good success running uB Aggro (mostly Zombies) for a while. Gravecrawler, Diegraf Captain, Geralf's Messenger etc., with a bit of Disruption like Thoughtseize and Tragic Slip (and Mortarpod to combo with Captain and Crawler). Also Phyrexian Obliterator because why not? No Vials either, I can post a list when I get home from work.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 14, 2016

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

WEAKNESSES: my voice sounds like a convicted felon's, must refer to Undertale at least once every two hours lest the Wasting set in.

Well, what kind of convicted felon? If you sound like a Mafia hitman, that'd be a strength, not a weakness. And even if you sound like some meth-head who just blew up his trailer park, play it right and it might become a good shtick, always think on the bright side!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Anyone who heard Joe Lossett's "GP Level" commentary knows that he is the only choice moving forward.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Kylaer posted:

Well, what kind of convicted felon? If you sound like a Mafia hitman, that'd be a strength, not a weakness. And even if you sound like some meth-head who just blew up his trailer park, play it right and it might become a good shtick, always think on the bright side!

I don't know why I immediately figured "child molester" but if that's the case OFS would fit right in with the other commentators.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Anyone who heard Joe Lossett's "GP Level" commentary knows that he is the only choice moving forward.

It was really on par with what SCGLive was like last weekend's open imo.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Wizards just put out an actual announcement regarding proxies.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/proxies-policy-and-communication-2016-01-14

Unsurprisingly, Trick did a loving horrific job of conveying any of this.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I tweeted Elaine Chase and asked if events that use non-WOTC swiss pairings that have entry fee/prize support are ok. Answer incoming in 3...2...1...

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

GeneX posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/proxies-policy-and-communication-2016-01-14

Elaine also carefully elided discussion of non-sanctioned tournaments.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

GeneX posted:

So from looking it over, it sounds like a store can still host an unsanctioned event where "playtest cards" are allowed as long as they use that term instead of "proxy," without fear of getting blammoed by Wizards? They don't have to dance around with plausible deniability and "no, no, it's really the PLAYERS who are organizing this tournament"?

If so, that's good. Still no awareness from Wizards of how they've helped create the market for counterfeits but that would have been too much to hope for, I'm sure.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Booklegger posted:

Elaine also carefully elided discussion of non-sanctioned tournaments.

Which was the whole thing that started this. The fact that Trickster McGee suggested that writing "Fellwar Stone" on a Time Vault made it a counterfeit was what set it off, but most people just want to play Legacy and Vintage tournaments and don't want the formats killed off by destroying unsanctioned proxy tournaments.

Obviously this is just a wink wink from Wizards that no, you can't have unsanctioned tournaments anymore and that they really want Legacy and Vintage to die.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

jassi007 posted:

I tweeted Elaine Chase and asked if events that use non-WOTC swiss pairings that have entry fee/prize support are ok. Answer incoming in 3...2...1...

Yeah, you and a ton of other people; her mentions right now are almost universally "okay, and what about non-sanctioned events???" (as they ought to be).

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JerryLee posted:

So from looking it over, it sounds like a store can still host an unsanctioned event where "playtest cards" are allowed as long as they use that term instead of "proxy," without fear of getting blammoed by Wizards? They don't have to dance around with plausible deniability and "no, no, it's really the PLAYERS who are organizing this tournament"?

If so, that's good. Still no awareness from Wizards of how they've helped create the market for counterfeits but that would have been too much to hope for, I'm sure.

It kind of says that, without saying it. At the same time they clearly state they contacted a store because they heard about events with a large prize pool that was using proxies. That doesn't in fact clarify at all if unsanctioned events with entry fee/prizes are ok as long as they aren't DCI events.

The answer obviously is they don't want you to do it, but as long as you aren't brazen about it there will almost certainly not be an issue. Don't start streaming/promoting Legacy for Power events where everyone has duels/fow/wasteland proxied. Do keep running your weekly legacy event and having that "wink nudge" 10 card proxy limit.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GeneX posted:

it looks to me like they're just saying "we don't care about unsanctioned tournaments" and they don't mind playtest cards. and clearly you intend to one day buy that legacy deck you're making fake cards for so it's cool

lol if anything this seems like her slapping down trick for rushing to defend wizard's ip in such a dumb way

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Obviously this is just a wink wink from Wizards that no, you can't have unsanctioned tournaments anymore and that they really want Legacy and Vintage to die.

I don't think so. From having read the judge forums concerning such matters there's a very strong prohibition on saying that proxies are okay. They work hard at constructing the "pregnant negative" where they tell you all the things that are not okay and leave the obvious hole in their prohibitions.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GeneX posted:

I didn't read anything about a man calling himself trick getting fired. Are we sure this is the right announcement? :confused:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mandatory lesbian posted:

it looks to me like they're just saying "we don't care about unsanctioned tournaments" and they don't mind playtest cards. and clearly you intend to one day buy that legacy deck you're making fake cards for so it's cool

lol if anything this seems like her slapping down trick for rushing to defend wizard's ip in such a dumb way

They explicitly say playtesting with sharpied/text printed proxies is ok. Playing with cards that are intended as reproductions of cards, with art etc. is not ok. They explicitly say you can't have a sanctioned event with proxies. What is left to be read between the lines is, is it ok to hold an unsanctioned event that isn't playtesting, with entry fee and prizes. You can assume that they're ok with it as long as it doesn't get to much publicity (large prize pool) so it doesn't attract attention. They won't state it outright because they don't want Card Kingdom/Tales from Adventure/other big stores streaming twitch legacy events with sharpied duals.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
My biggest takeaway from all this is that Trick isn't his actual given name, bestowed upon him by hippie parents as I thought, but the short form of Patrick that he willingly chooses to use in the year 2016.

Edit: Maybe it's time to whip up that web-based WER alternative I've been toying with, since one of the qualities of a tournament being "sanctioned" is it using WER.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

jassi007 posted:

They explicitly say playtesting with sharpied/text printed proxies is ok. Playing with cards that are intended as reproductions of cards, with art etc. is not ok. They explicitly say you can't have a sanctioned event with proxies. What is left to be read between the lines is, is it ok to hold an unsanctioned event that isn't playtesting, with entry fee and prizes. You can assume that they're ok with it as long as it doesn't get to much publicity (large prize pool) so it doesn't attract attention. They won't state it outright because they don't want Card Kingdom/Tales from Adventure/other big stores streaming twitch legacy events with sharpied duals.

yeah that's what i said, they don't care about unsanctioned tournaments

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
imo the ideal way to organize and run nerdgame events is under a climate of fear and alienation, which is why companies such as wizards of the coast and game workshop should try to cultivate those emotions as much as possible

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Card Kingdom wouldn't be an issue, as even when they can't sanction a tournament format (pauper, no-ban modern) they still run the event at an appropriate REL, though the event is entered into WER as casual. For instance their paper pauper tournaments require decklists and are essentially run at competitive REL. I've never seen an event at CK where a proxy was allowed.

But yeah, seeing proxies on a stream would make wizards lose their poo poo in a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah that's what i said, they don't care about unsanctioned tournaments

I think they do, but they realize it is going to far to try to crack down on them. They really don't want people advertising/streaming events with proxied cards. Especially events with prize support. When it happens quietly there isn't much they can do, but they do not want publicity of magic events not using magic cards. Bad for business.

• Locked thread