Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh okay that's fine then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Catherine is literally one of the best puzzle games ever made and probably the very best block puzzle game. It's pretty amazing and only let down by the Persona team not being very good at telling the more mature story they were trying to go for.

Also I actually like the dungeon crawling in the Persona games, but I guess most of that hinges on liking the combat, which I do.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

axleblaze posted:

Catherine is literally one of the best puzzle games ever made and probably the very best block puzzle game.

Absolutely not and maybe. I don't play much in the way of block puzzles so it could be the best of all time. But for puzzles I can think of half a dozen or more than easily beat it. If you want games available on consoles then maybe not.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Puzzle is such a wide genre. It wouldn't make much sense to compare something like Tetris Attack to Catherine.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Catherine story and characters are fine. Mature? Lol no, but it's a story about relationships involving psychotic mind demons and a dude with commitment issues voiced by Troy Baker exaggerated to silly extents, it's gonna be about as goofy as you could expect but it's still a fun story with cool characters except like Toby and Johnny, they're both kinda whatever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Baal posted:

The Catherine story and characters are fine. Mature? Lol no, but it's a story about relationships involving psychotic mind demons and a dude with commitment issues voiced by Troy Baker exaggerated to silly extents, it's gonna be about as goofy as you could expect but it's still a fun story with cool characters except like Toby and Johnny, they're both kinda whatever.

Catherine's plot is even goofier than Persona in a lot of ways, especially towards the end. The main villain outs himself by accident because he launches into his evil "mwa ha ha, so you figured out it was me all along" speech too early. That's just amateur hour.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thomas Mutton is one of the most pathetic main antagonist's to a game I've ever seen and it's so loving funny, I love it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

My impression of Catherine from the marketing was that it was supposed to be like a horror movie aimed at twenty-somethings. My impression in the first few minutes (and through the rest of the game) was that it was an episode of Tales From the Crypt. I didn't mind it because the game makes that point very early, but it was not quite what I was expecting. Still enjoyed it though.

Edit: There was a weird amount of transphobia played for laughs in it, though. Even for five years ago.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The transphobia is a touchy subject (In more than one way of course), because it could just as easily be argued that the only one who had an issue was Toby, but the guys in general act the way they do towards Erica because they are her friends and have known her forever. Personally, It never really came off to me like they were making fun of her, because it's obvious the guys care about her and have know her since they were kids which is why they talk like they do about and to her. Even she as a character is portrayed pretty positively and the only joke about the whole thing is Toby's reaction to her at the end of the Lovers True Ending.

I can see where it comes from though and it's definitely a weird cap to the whole thing.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Baal posted:

The transphobia is a touchy subject (In more than one way of course), because it could just as easily be argued that the only one who had an issue was Toby, but the guys in general act the way they do towards Erica because they are her friends and have known her forever. Personally, It never really came off to me like they were making fun of her, because it's obvious the guys care about her and have know her since they were kids which is why they talk like they do about and to her. Even she as a character is portrayed pretty positively and the only joke about the whole thing is Toby's reaction to her at the end of the Lovers True Ending.

I can see where it comes from though and it's definitely a weird cap to the whole thing.

Yeah, it clearly is just the most immature character who makes those comments; it's just that with the timing and delivery of those lines it was unclear as to whether I was supposed to be laughing at just his reaction or at the concept of him having sex with a trans person.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Danganronpa/2 is on sale. Are they worth getting for my pstv if I like visual novels and persona type murder mysteries?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Catherine was amazing in my experience which was playing through on the easiest difficulty. I'm not crazy about hard puzzles but the story + characters + art design + tense puzzles made for a really cool world and atmosphere throughout. I would like a sequel but I can't imagine that ever being a thing. There hasn't been anything since that scratches the itch sadly enough, though I'm sure P5 will hit the marks in some capacity.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr E posted:

Danganronpa/2 is on sale. Are they worth getting for my pstv if I like visual novels and persona type murder mysteries?

The first one definitely, the second is, uh, more of an acquired taste.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

The first one definitely, the second is, uh, more of an acquired taste.

The second one definitely has issues and flaws that the first one doesn't really have, although the storyline does do some interesting, if anime-as-gently caress, things. I enjoyed it but I think you have to be the right type of weeaboo to. At least you probably have to think the first game is really good; if it was just "OK" for you, you might as well skip the 2nd.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ebay, sold by Newegg: 1-year PS+ $40, limit 5 . I believe this is a card, not an instant code.

Update:

Canada:
Some convoluted way to get CA$100 in PSN funds for CA$80 through staples.ca with an online coupon. I can't verify if this still works, but a few people there confirmed it worked for them.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 14, 2016

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

I enjoyed both DanganRonpa games very much, enough so that I found the translated books later. First is better than the second, but I found them both incredibly engaging.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Mr E posted:

Danganronpa 2 is boring as hell and has weird pedo anime bullshit

Danganronpa 1 was fun and more interesting. The characters were surprisingly decent (except for a couple, but because there weren't many they could easily be ignored) and I was "sad" when some of them died.

I want everyone in D2 to die and I am skipping through most of the dialogue. Will probably eventually beat it just to see if my suspicions are correct.

the truth fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 14, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Move over Corn theme, you got a new theme to complete with!

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/an-elven-blacksmith-dynamic-theme/cid=UP2136-CUSA02727_00-KODOSCEADPS40048

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Holy poo poo! $7!!

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who sees that as an unreasonable price. I really wonder how many folks will buy it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Irsh posted:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who sees that as an unreasonable price. I really wonder how many folks will buy it.

Hopefully everyone for something so unreasonably low! It's like those infomercials asking if you'd pay $100 for something and calling you a loving moron because it's only $20! Is there a way to buy two of the same thing?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

barren_sky posted:

Holy poo poo! $7!!
That is one amazingly expensive animated GIF

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol you can get retail games for $7

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Few things:

PS4 open beta of Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 is now up for everyone. NA store link , EU store link Beta is around 17 GB and will run until Monday, January 18.

EU store:
The individual listings for the PS2-to-PS4 Star Wars games are finally showing up on PSN:
Star Wars Bounty Hunter, not up yet
Star Wars Jedi Starfighter
Star Wars Racer Revenge

Japan store:
PS4 demo of Yakuza 6 will be up on January 28, and only available to those that purchase Yakuza Kiwami.

All regions:
These songs from Rock Band will be pulled from PSN by the end of the month:

quote:

Guns N Roses “Chinese Democracy” (LP Chinese Democracy 01 Pack)
Guns N Roses “Scraped” (LP Chinese Democracy 01 Pack)
Night Ranger “You’re Gonna Hear From Me” (Night Ranger 01 Pack)
Nazareth “Hair Of The Dog” (single)
I Mother Earth “Levitate” (Single)
Hawkwind “Master Of The Universe” (Single)
Superchick “Stand In The Rain” (Single)
Silverchair “Straight Lines” (Single)
LP Chinese Democracy 01 Pack
Night Ranger 01 Pack
Tom Petty A Woman In Love (It’s Not Me) (Live) / Century City (Live) / Jammin’ Me (Live) / Nightwatchman (Live) / The Waiting (Live) / Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Live Anthology Pack 02

Rock Band 1 export pack is now available for Rock Band 4 in NA region, instructions here. As of now it's not yet available in the EU region (shocking).

PS Blogcast is already up. I'll post whatever they'll announce within the next hour.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 15, 2016

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Who's ready for that new Digimon game? I'm ready for those digital monsters man

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Squallege posted:

Does anyone know if the Digimon World remake will come to PS4? I was always disappointed they never really followed up on it (that I know of).

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some of the things announced for next week, announced on PS Blogcast

quote:

PS4 Games
5-Star Wrestling Re-Genesis
A Boy and His Blob (cross-buy PS4|Vita)
Attractio
Baseball Riot (cross-buy PS4|Vita)
Croixleur Sigma
Dark Cloud 2 (PS2 conversion)
The Deadly Tower of Monsters
Inside My Radio
Klaus
Resident Evil 0
Stardust Vanguards
Tachyon Project

PS4 Demos
Baseball Riot
The Deadly Tower of Monsters

PS3 Game
Resident Evil 0

Vita Games
A Boy and His Blob (cross-buy PS4|Vita)
Atelier Escha & Logy Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky
Baseball Riot (cross-buy PS4|Vita)
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty (cross-buy PS4|PS3|Vita)

Vita Demo
Baseball Riot

Not mentioned in the blogcast: World of Tanks will also be officially released for PS4 this Tuesday, along with a bonus pack for PS+ members.

Also, Life is Strange and Resident Evil Origins Collection (RE Remake and RE 0) will come out on PS4 Bluray this Tuesday.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 15, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Yechezkel posted:

Some of the things announced for next week, announced on PS Blogcast

Also, Life is Strange and Resident Evil Origins Collection (RE Remake and RE 0) will come out on PS4 Bluray this Tuesday.

wait lol is 5 Star Wrestling Regenesis an enhanced port of that awful-looking 5 Star Wrestling game on ps3? and is this the same company that's trying to run huge spot shows in the UK with like aj styles vs rey mysterio. what the heck

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Is A Boy and His Blob the same as the Wii version or is it some new thing?

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Thanks a whole bunch for the Rock Band info. I really appreciate the heads-up.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

axleblaze posted:

It's the same game! Complete with hugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xdgu_bzIgU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

axleblaze posted:

Same as the Wii version.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Squallege posted:

I'm very excited so long as it's more like a less grindy digimon world 3

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Boy and His Blob Wii was awesome.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
As somebody who actually completed the original NES version, is there anything new in this version that would make me want to revisit the frustration that was the game?

It was the game I rented the most when I was 8.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I didn't play it much but it was a very different game that just used the same mechanics.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Check your email inbox. The "extensions" for PS+ from last week's downtime are being sent out, but the extension is in a form of a PSN code for 1 day of PS+ that you have to redeem yourself. :wtf: That is worth around 14 cents.

I haven't received my code yet.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Irsh posted:

As somebody who actually completed the original NES version, is there anything new in this version that would make me want to revisit the frustration that was the game?

It was the game I rented the most when I was 8.

It's not a remake of the NES game, it's an entirely new (and much better, less obtuse) game using the same jellybean mechanics.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Squallege posted:

why does this come out 3 days before xcom 2

why is february doing this to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hahaha Five Star Wrestling is getting a PS4 re-release?!?!

https://youtu.be/-AIH28G2YRo

• Locked thread