Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Just seems an odd choice when everything else down to municipal does have that requirement. Why exempt probate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eviltastic posted:

Just seems an odd choice when everything else down to municipal does have that requirement. Why exempt probate?

If you think that's weird don't look up "Judge-Executive"

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

hobbesmaster posted:

I love Kentucky county structures. Judge-Executives are the executive, and are also part of the Fiscal Courts...which are the legislatures.

Neither Judge-Executives nor Fiscal Courts exercise any judicial power, though.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Wow. I like that he actually has no judicial power but does have some degree of legislative power.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The Warszawa posted:

I love Kentucky county structures. Judge-Executives are the executive, and are also part of the Fiscal Courts...which are the legislatures.

Neither Judge-Executives nor Fiscal Courts exercise any judicial power, though.

What in the blue hell is going on in the Commonwealth?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Rygar201 posted:

Same as it ever was, basically.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rygar201 posted:

It's "just" weird names from the 18th century. I'd think that'd be par for the course in a law thread.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

IANAL though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not a lawyer either, I've just been around too many!

Other fun things, this is the oath of office for all commonwealth officials:

quote:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of this Commonwealth, and be faithful and true to the Commonwealth of Kentucky so long as I continue a citizen thereof, and that I will faithfully execute, to the best of my ability, the office of .... according to law; and I do further solemnly swear (or affirm) that since the adoption of the present Constitution, I, being a citizen of this State, have not fought a duel with deadly weapons within this State nor out of it, nor have I sent or accepted a challenge to fight a duel with deadly weapons, nor have I acted as second in carrying a challenge, nor aided or assisted any person thus offending, so help me God.

An amendment to remove that part was voted down 20ish years ago.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

eviltastic posted:

Upon looking this up, I have learned that Alabama probate judges do not need to be lawyers. Ok then.

Wow, even Texas requires that.

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/candidates/guide/qualifications.shtml

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
A legal system based on precedent takes pride in its traditions. The US is in the sweet spot where it adopted tradition directly from rough and ready frontier austerity. The original SCOTUS justices actually rode circuits around the country judging cases.

And it worked surprisingly well. I mean, would Judge Roy Bean be a worse justice than Judge Roy Moore?

eDIT: cAPS lOCK wAS oN.

Ceiling fan fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 8, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Looks like you could spend 4 or 10 years as a justice of the peace though?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Guess Zell Miller isn't moving to Kentucky anytime soon.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

In Texas a justice of the peace doesn't need to be a lawyer, nor does a constitutional county judge, which is the name for the ceo of a county. But the county judge can, in some counties, hear trial de novo from a justice court, and can hear probate matters too.

It's bad when you have real issues in front of those judges.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Aren't those the types that say "appeal me I don't care I'm ordering it this way regardless?"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

hobbesmaster posted:

Honestly? I don't have a problem with that being in the oath. gently caress duels, Hamilton died too young.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

hobbesmaster posted:

Was this because of Aaron Burr or Andrew Jackson? I always assumed the latter but never looked it up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

1849 so neither. All I can find about it is that it was put into the constitution so that gentlemen couldn't simply cross state lines to settle disputes. This does mean that Abraham Lincoln was ineligible for office in Kentucky when elected president!

I have never had to take the oath but my mom has and as a history buff she loved it.

Edit: note it says deadly weapons. Taser duels are legal!

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 8, 2016

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

eviltastic posted:

Upon looking this up, I have learned that Alabama probate judges do not need to be lawyers. Ok then.

In my state, the position that performs most of the duties of a Probate Judge is a Court Commissioner, and there is no requirement that a Commissioner be licensed to practice law, only that they be a citizen of the United States. They also aren't elected though, they are appointed by the judges of the county in which they sit, and almost every county has a local rule that requires Court Commissioners be licensed to practice law.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Aren't those the types that say "appeal me I don't care I'm ordering it this way regardless?"

I had a Court Commissioner straight up say, on the record, "I don't care what the rules say, I'm not considering this motion. Find a judge." Fortunately it was a small county and opposing counsel and I were able to find a judge that didn't have anything else going on.

E: My state also used to allow unlicensed municipal judges and district court judges to serve in small towns and districts, provided you could pass an exam. That was abolished in 2003, but anybody who took the exam before 2003 grandfathered in. I don't know if there are still any unlicensed judges serving though.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 8, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

What happens if a Justice dies between arguments and the release of opinions? Does the replacement Justice get to vote? Do they reargue?

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Rygar201 posted:

What happens if a Justice dies between arguments and the release of opinions? Does the replacement Justice get to vote? Do they reargue?

8 justices vote.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rygar201 posted:

I think the standard procedure is if there's still a majority, they vote without the new justice, if the decision is now tied, they reargue with the new justice.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Friedrichs v. California Teachers Association is a case I'm interested in. Judging by the remarks during oral arguments, it's quite possible that the ability of many public unions to spend their dues on political things is about to get gut-shot.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'll be stunned if the unions win this case. I'd sooner expect a 6-3 (or worse) ruling against them than for any of the conservative justices to rule in favor of a union on basically anything.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

-Troika- posted:

Friedrichs v. California Teachers Association is a case I'm interested in. Judging by the remarks during oral arguments, it's quite possible that the ability of many public unions to spend their dues on political things is about to get gut-shot.

They already cannot spend compulsory dues on political lobbying. The argument from plaintiff is that since they are employed by the government, any negotiation done by the union, whether for pay/benefits or not, is de facto political lobbying. Thus no union dues can compulsory.

A win here basically destroys any government employee union.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

hobbesmaster posted:

my dad's a kentucky colonel

I forget how that scam works

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

They already cannot spend compulsory dues on political lobbying. The argument from plaintiff is that since they are employed by the government, any negotiation done by the union, whether for pay/benefits or not, is de facto political lobbying. Thus no union dues can compulsory.

Couldn't you equally argue that capitalism is a political ideology, therefore all negotiation is political lobbying? Or maybe only companies that are regulated by the government.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

For what it's worth, I personally belong to a government employee union that does not collect compulsory bargaining dues. So it's certainly possible for such a thing to exist.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Public sector unions won't die overnight, of course. The old timers will mostly keep paying their dues. But as time goes on you'll get more and more people coming into those jobs saying "well the pay and benefits are already good, why would I pay dues??" and before you know it, there aren't enough dues-paying members to keep the organizations afloat.

And of course, any loss of funds significantly impacts local lobbying efforts. Unions spend a lot of money on local matters that come before state legislators and supervisory boards and the like. So yeah, public sector unions will still exist, they'll just lose what little clout they have left.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PerniciousKnid posted:

Couldn't you equally argue that capitalism is a political ideology, therefore all negotiation is political lobbying? Or maybe only companies that are regulated by the government.

While I don't think that your idea necessarily would work, there certainly are think tanks working right now on ways to expand this decision to private sector unions if they win at the SCOTUS.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mr. Nice! posted:

While I don't think that your idea necessarily would work, there certainly are think tanks working right now on ways to expand this decision to private sector unions if they win at the SCOTUS.

Oh, those plans/arguments would have been in place before this case ever started. The better shops have a couple cases planned out for any foreseeable outcome of the current test case.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You ask a state legislator nicely and you later get a nifty looking certificate in the mail.

You can nominate other people. This works best for the spouses of active duty or retired Lt. Colonels.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Please tell me your last name is Sanders. :allears:

Litany Unheard posted:

Public sector unions won't die overnight, of course. The old timers will mostly keep paying their dues. But as time goes on you'll get more and more people coming into those jobs saying "well the pay and benefits are already good, why would I pay dues??" and before you know it, there aren't enough dues-paying members to keep the organizations afloat.

And of course, any loss of funds significantly impacts local lobbying efforts. Unions spend a lot of money on local matters that come before state legislators and supervisory boards and the like. So yeah, public sector unions will still exist, they'll just lose what little clout they have left.

Agreed; it's hard to message the importance of a union to people already working 60 hours a week at a little above minimum wage. The union lacks the strength to get a better wage and the workers see the union as too weak so why bother paying or being involved, and a vicious cycle digs them into non-existence.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

then by that logic isn't every company that has a government contract actually a lobbyist? :psyduck:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

then by that logic isn't every company that has a government contract actually a lobbyist? :psyduck:

Yes and?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

axeil posted:

Money is just speech my friend.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

axeil posted:

Are you under the delusion that anti Union legislation is done in good faith?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

axeil posted:

You can even expand this logic and say that all non-consumption taxes are a restriction on free speech, because less money = less speech.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mo_Steel posted:

Agreed; it's hard to message the importance of a union to people already working 60 hours a week at a little above minimum wage. The union lacks the strength to get a better wage and the workers see the union as too weak so why bother paying or being involved, and a vicious cycle digs them into non-existence.
Except that last year fast-food workers and others were able to get significant minimum-wage rises in New York City, New York State, San Francisco, Seattle, and other cities. Unions can work to pass laws, not just negotiate with individual employers.

Current fight in Pasadena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

gonna laugh for when this destroys unions and as a last measure the unions get every major corporation in america classified as lobbyists.

Gerund posted:

You can even expand this logic and say that all non-consumption taxes are a restriction on free speech, because less money = less speech.

you joke, but i bet we'd see a constitutional challenge to the income tax if it wasn't already enshrined as an amendment.