Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FireSight posted:

We run Casper, but the Senior Support Services guy, the dude who doesn't want anyone but himself to have admin access to most poo poo, hasn't figured out how to use it to deploy updates or... really anything but get info off of the machines.

I'll see if I can badger him into figuring out how to push an updated file. Since that won't cost us any more money, he will probably get off my back on this project (and, you know, never actually bother figuring it out).
If he doesn't want anyone to have admin access then he shouldn't have a problem restricting software installs on remote machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

anthonypants posted:

If he doesn't want anyone to have admin access then he shouldn't have a problem restricting software installs on remote machines.

No no no, he doesn't want anyone having admin access to the IT tools! Dude is a roadblock to anything getting done. Users ALL have admin on their own machines, because *reasons*.

I mean, I love this workplace, the company is great, but the senior IT dude just seems to have some kind of fear that if anyone else gets access to the tools, he will become useless and get replaced.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FireSight posted:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was hoping there was something we could install that would point to one of our servers to get updates, so we could update the list here and all the remote people would have their list update automatically.

I mean, the hosts file works, but it means I'm going to have to get access to each users computer individually and then update the hosts file... every time we make a change. With about 200 remote users and only 3 helpdesk people, that's not going to work well.

Get some endpoint security software that can enforce content filters. I like the Sophos cloud offering, and it's a reasonable price.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

FireSight posted:

I mean, I love this workplace, the company is great, but the senior IT dude just seems to have some kind of fear that if anyone else gets access to the tools, he will become useless and get replaced.
In my experience, this usually means that he's already useless and needs to be replaced.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

FireSight posted:

We run Casper, but the Senior Support Services guy, the dude who doesn't want anyone but himself to have admin access to most poo poo, hasn't figured out how to use it to deploy updates or... really anything but get info off of the machines.

I'll see if I can badger him into figuring out how to push an updated file. Since that won't cost us any more money, he will probably get off my back on this project (and, you know, never actually bother figuring it out).

Casper is the best platform manager for the Mac and could totally do what you need it to do if your guy could be bothered to actually do it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

FireSight posted:

No no no, he doesn't want anyone having admin access to the IT tools! Dude is a roadblock to anything getting done. Users ALL have admin on their own machines, because *reasons*.

Seconding that OpenDNS could solve this issue. Umbrella is quite good.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

NeuralSpark posted:

Casper is the best platform manager for the Mac and could totally do what you need it to do if your guy could be bothered to actually do it.

Yeah, I've actually downloaded the Casper manual so I can just say "Look, here is how to set this up, we just push a new hosts file when we have updates. Boom. Done."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Seconding that OpenDNS could solve this issue. Umbrella is quite good.

Thirding, although I'm sure it's not necessary at this point. OpenDNS is super easy DNS filtering, great for remote users as well. Although I have some concerns that we'll see price hikes now that they've been acquired by Cisco.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm reasonably certain this is what Hollywood thinks hackers' apartments look like.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

I'm reasonably certain this is what Hollywood thinks hackers' apartments look like.

not nearly enough screens. How can you use your 1337 5k1llz without 30 screens?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Those are in the room next door.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

His video cards are all tied up mining bitcoin.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Docjowles posted:

I currently have 2 27" Dell U2713H's at work and it's kind of an intimidating amount of real estate. I dedicate one to work I'm actively doing, and the other is the dumping ground for background poo poo like email/hipchat/iMessage/Evernote etc. I should really dedicate some time to taking advantage of all that space.

#FWP

I have 4 24" Dell monitors at work. Two are vertical, two are horizontal. :smug:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Those are in the room next door.

Here I have a true hollywood example of "hackers"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ

:nms: for triggering tech terms

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, a job that I interviewed with that I would love to have until I can get down to Florida just contacted me for the next step. They want 5 references. I sure hope they'll take three, and only two from an IT job.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KillHour posted:

Not enough case windows or LED fans. Also, lighting in the room?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

KillHour posted:

Put a pile of raspberry pi's on the ground(for your exposed PCB quota) all plugged into a garbage tier switch that's not even powered on (for your director incompetence quota).

The room is too bright too.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, a job that I interviewed with that I would love to have until I can get down to Florida just contacted me for the next step. They want 5 references. I sure hope they'll take three, and only two from an IT job.

5 seems kind of excessive. Is the job working with children, the military or other super secret stuff? I thought the norm was usually 2-3.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

FireSight posted:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was hoping there was something we could install that would point to one of our servers to get updates, so we could update the list here and all the remote people would have their list update automatically.

I mean, the hosts file works, but it means I'm going to have to get access to each users computer individually and then update the hosts file... every time we make a change. With about 200 remote users and only 3 helpdesk people, that's not going to work well.

Open DNS umbrella can do this with the roaming client. It filters out malware, adware and other categories you set and you can make a company wide deny list also. For all of the computers in the office you can just update the dns forwarding without installing software on each computer.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I have 4 24" Dell monitors at work. Two are vertical, two are horizontal. :smug:

Yeah I have two of the Dell ultra sharp 24 inch monitors mounted on swing arms for my WFH office. They're pretty awesome.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yes they are, IPS for life.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Methanar posted:

Put a pile of raspberry pi's on the ground(for your exposed PCB quota) all plugged into a garbage tier switch that's not even powered on (for your director incompetence quota).

The room is too bright too.

That reminds me of my favorite line from Mr. Robot.

"This [holds up circuit board] is an embedded microcontroller that can be used to..."

"Cut the poo poo. We know what a Raspberry Pi is."

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Everyone here has 4 24" monitors. I'm not sure I could ever go back to a measly two.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're not allowed to give someone more than 1 monitor unless their boss and then their departmental exec signs off on it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Sr. Admin just put in notice. Let's see how long it takes/if they're smart enough to promote me to Sr. Admin as soon as possible. :getin:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Some select users have a single or double 22" 16:9 while most have double 19" 4:3 screens.

Everyone in IT has double 24" 16:10 screens. :smug:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Erwin posted:

Everyone here has 4 24" monitors. I'm not sure I could ever go back to a measly two.

My life is all sorts of hosed up now. The fiancee has one of my nice 26" monitors, the other is hooked up to a Google TV, I've got one Dell 2408WFP hooked up to my desktop, and the other boxed up. The remaining 3 2007FPB are stacked in a luggage roller case along with a 2208wfp.

Collateral Damage posted:

Some select users have a single or double 22" 16:9 while most have double 19" 4:3 screens.

Everyone in IT has double 24" 16:10 screens. :smug:

16:10 supremacy. I haven't bought a monitor in years because I can't find a decent one with that aspect ratio.

Edit: are there any excellent 2k 16:10 120+hz around?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 14, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Yes they are, IPS for life.

This looks like the desk of a serial killer or coop student.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pfft. Better than any desk encrusted with whatever disgusting crap.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

And I really wish it was possible to get 4:3 or 5:4 screens with resolutions that don't smell like 2002. Something like 2048x1536 maybe. I'd probably prefer 3 of those to 2 widescreens with similar total resolution.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Pfft. Better than any desk encrusted with whatever disgusting crap.

Yes because stationary or any personal items counts as encrusted crap.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 14, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have two 4k monitors and use the surface book monitor as a dedicated email screen so my nice screens are as little work related as possible.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CLAM DOWN posted:

Seconded. Not a desk from someone who works in IT.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My life is all sorts of hosed up now. The fiancee has one of my nice 26" monitors, the other is hooked up to a Google TV, I've got one Dell 2408WFP hooked up to my desktop, and the other boxed up. The remaining 3 2007FPB are stacked in a luggage roller case along with a 2208wfp.

16:10 supremacy. I haven't bought a monitor in years because I can't find a decent one with that aspect ratio.

Edit: are there any excellent 2k 16:10 120+hz around?

We have a bunch of Dell U2412Ms and it's one of the only good things about our office.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

LochNessMonster posted:

Seconded. Not a desk from someone who works in IT.

Just because you are a slob and cover your desk in anime figurines, doesn't mean everyone else has to.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Moey posted:

Just because you are a slob and cover your desk in anime figurines, doesn't mean everyone else has to.

there IS a middle ground, you know

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

there IS a middle ground, you know

Yeah, and to each their own. I prefer a more minimalist look, some people want posters and other things displayed.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

i have bb-8 on my desk because he's my rubber duck coding buddy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Moey posted:

Yeah, and to each their own. I prefer a more minimalist look, some people want posters and other things displayed.

again, there's a middle ground between posters and anime vs a serial killer empty desk. At the very least I'd expect some stationary, maybe a few sticky notes, a coffee mug or water bottle, like jesus man it's not rocket science

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

jaegerx posted:

i have bb-8 on my desk because he's my rubber duck coding buddy.

sup star wars debugger pal