Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

What the gently caress. Was just talking to a buddy the other day and saying, if they really come in threes and loving David Bowie is only #2, I'm bracing myself so hard you have no idea.

Lotta folks posted Death quotes when Terry Pratchett died; turns out the appropriate one would have been the "think of it as beating the rush" one.

gently caress Alzheimer's, gently caress cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Skippy (November 15, 1928)

Peanuts (January 16, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 3-4, 1928)

Thimble Theater (August 2, 1929)

Imagine if Glim was the breakout character of 1929. A whole series of Fleischer cartoons built around quick changes and squeaky shoes. Yikes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

After having Sagendorf's Popeye in this thread for years, I feel like I'd give him a fair chance.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (August 2, 1929)

Still better than Inspector Danger.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Has the overwhelmingly negative reaction caused the Evanses to rethink the whole 9/11 wedding thing?

Credit where credit is due, having multiple things go to poo poo all at once and then want to elope is an accurate depiction of wedding planning.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Tiggum posted:

This has been bothering me since this storyline started. How is this article going to work? Mark's going to talk about these healthy bats and then awkwardly segue into "but if they happened to have white-nose syndrome, that would be bad." Don't you want to go visit a sick colony and observe the effects for your article? Why are you looking at healthy bats as research for your article about bat diseases?

Presumably Mark's built up a lot of wiggle-room for the occasional crappy fluff piece based on the success of his multi-part saga "I Fought a Bear and Won."

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Has the overwhelmingly negative reaction caused the Evanses to rethink the whole 9/11 wedding thing?

As someone with a firefighter buddy, I can tell you that the captain denying vacation time is pure horseshit. My friend can routinely string together a month off every year because of the way their schedules work; you're on for 24 hours, off for 48. On the ninth or tenth cycle, you're off for the 24 you're supposed to be on. But you can trade days with other firefighters and stack massive amounts of time off with no one batting an eye. And on way less notice than what Brad and Toni are giving.

The stakes for this comic are always so drat low; how does it engender more rage in me than all the others combined? :bang:

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 14, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Gabe, we can get shirtless and go bouldering to reach the roosts for a few photos, and then maybe wrestle a few big horn sheep for some more pictures to go in a sidebar. Then you can get some more shots of my torso for the regular column on outdoor muscle toning, written by my abs.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You know what, I'm all spry on Grolsch, let's have an early gently caress You Friday Comix!

Fucky Winterbutt

Pooch Café

At some point, Poncho learned how to tie a noose. That's bad for everybody.

Ballard Street

Come to SA instead, everybody loves you here. And frankly, we could use the extra numbers.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Man, gently caress this guy.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 21, 1950)

Barnaby (May 28, 1942)

Nancy (February 4, 1943)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Remember this Mark Trail from a few weeks ago? Turns out James Allen is a climate change denier:

Jam Esallen's Facebook posted:

Today’s Mark Trail—folks I try not to get political over here, but I can admit to you that today’s strip is a little dose of “get real” to people that think mankind is ruining the planet by creating global warming! We are so tiny compared to this planet and what it can do (and recover from).

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

I felt obligated to look this up - the Sick, Sick Sick ran on December 31, 1958.

Here's the Mary Worth storyline, starting December 2, 1958. Sorry for the image dump, and forgive the quality, some were vertical, some horizontal, and I did my best. Also, some dates are missing. Mary did her meddling duty, but that strike in NYC must have sucked.

Mary Worth (December 2, 1958 to December 28, 1958)
Wow! Thanks for finding that. All the sites I found where it looked like I could look at scans of old papers had a paywall. An interesting story. It's nice to see some Classic Mary Worth.

F Minus

I know Carrillo's just being silly here, but in a way this is kind of sweet.

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Peter Parker is happy to have Sarah at his school.

Secret Agent X-9

Well that's a left and not a right, and the wallet falling out is a bit silly, but I'll forgive all that because I think we're in for a good fight scene.

Apartment 3-G

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

You know, I really don't like Calvin and Hobbes. I think it'd probably be better if it were a lot less wordy.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Pluggers

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Wanamingo posted:

You know, I really don't like Calvin and Hobbes

What's the appropriate punishment for high heresy?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Moon Slayer posted:

Remember this Mark Trail from a few weeks ago? Turns out James Allen is a climate change denier:

Disappointing, but as that position is more or less ubiquitous among American conservatives and he's a middle aged white guy from Georgia, not terribly surprising. Still, it does kind of ruin what was otherwise an amusingly pessimistic Sunday strip.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Too bad she rolled 155 times :(

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

ikanreed posted:

A month of Raising Hector.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You'd think people called "pluggers" would understand plugging color-coded plugs into color-coded receptacles.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Transmodiar posted:

As someone with a firefighter buddy, I can tell you that the captain denying vacation time is pure horseshit. My friend can routinely string together a month off every year because of the way their schedules work; you're on for 24 hours, off for 48. On the ninth or tenth cycle, you're off for the 24 you're supposed to be on. But you can trade days with other firefighters and stack massive amounts of time off with no one batting an eye. And on way less notice than what Brad and Toni are giving.

The stakes for this comic are always so drat low; how does it engender more rage in me than all the others combined? :bang:

Come on, you can't let a firefighter take a break any old time. Especially not in winter and fall, which everybody knows are the two busiest fire seasons.

Luann

The anniversary of the day the dog died is a very sad day you should never have a wedding on. 9/11, however...

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Fritzi Ritz

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)

Wee Pals

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

He has grabbed that poor barber by the testes.

Slammy posted:

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)

Wasn't Tab Hunter the least secretly gay man in Hollywood? Is that the joke?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Wasn't Tab Hunter the least secretly gay man in Hollywood? Is that the joke?

Well, Liberace would probably fight him for that title.

But I think the joke is that the writer turns out a script on racism that's just a string of cliches ... and Hollywood is still so afraid of controversy that they replace the black character with a blond, blue-eyed all-American type, completely obliterating whatever social message the script might have had.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Wanamingo posted:

You know, I really don't like Calvin and Hobbes. I think it'd probably be better if it were a lot less wordy.

:unsmigghh:

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

ikanreed posted:

I'd normally say let it slide, but this guy bitched about wordiness when he posts Zippy, like it's not an illustrated novel. Point and laugh, I guess.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Selachian posted:

Well, Liberace would probably fight him for that title.

But I think the joke is that the writer turns out a script on racism that's just a string of cliches ... and Hollywood is still so afraid of controversy that they replace the black character with a blond, blue-eyed all-American type, completely obliterating whatever social message the script might have had.

Based on a true story. Although knowing Serling, he wouldn't do it the easy way if it was in his power.

As far as confronting civil rights issues, 1950s television (on the fictional side, at least) was an embarrassment. One of the anthology series did a version of Huckleberry Finn and Jim wasn't even in it.

Which somehow segues into today's Pogo, where superior logic is no match for overwhelming numbers. (January 15-16, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (January 21-24, 1954)

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

oh my :pervert:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set knows that it's mo' money mo' problems.

Working Daze needs to stop with the lovely "political" "jokes".

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is powered by AdSense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kumaton posted:

Still better than Inspector Danger.
Hey, Inspector Danger gets results. If he were on the case Herringbone would be behind bars already. Sure it'd be on some absurd, trumped-up charge, but the money would be safe.

goatface posted:

Gabe, we can get shirtless and go bouldering to reach the roosts for a few photos, and then maybe wrestle a few big horn sheep for some more pictures to go in a sidebar. Then you can get some more shots of my torso for the regular column on outdoor muscle toning, written by my abs.
If Mark Trail just became an endless series of excuses for Mark to take his shirt off and wrestle animals, I would be totally OK with that.

Moon Slayer posted:

Turns out James Allen is a climate change denier
Well, that is unfortunate.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD
She literally has mind control powers, doesn't she? :tinfoil:

You're asking the salesperson to make you a lovely version of something that is already included with the product! :psyduck:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
HEY WAIT A SECOND

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Karen Evans: Eight months lead time isn't enough for wedding strips.
Greg Evans: Why not just give some bullshit reason to push it back another two months?
K: Perfect! Now we can do some back story on Piro's hair cut, too.

:derptiel:

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Wikipedia posted:

Lucy was modeled after Schulz's first wife, Joyce Halverson.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 02/15/15

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Edda must be reading this strip's comments again.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Just in case you missed the previous strip, you know, the one with the exact same text.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Moon Slayer posted:

This is incredibly disappointing to learn.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family CIrcus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Wow, Rose is Rose has dramatically improved as of late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

• Locked thread