Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The sexy-pose-off between Youko and Minagawa while Rin wanders around bored in the background got me good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

*Perceptions may vary

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

chumbler posted:

The ultimate battle occurs in this chapter.

*Individual Perceptions May Vary

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Asahi's loving dead

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I'm so glad the cool beauty is back in full force.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Cake Attack posted:

It got anime and hasn't been cancelled after more than 100 chapters so well enough

Let's play devil's advocate: The anime was terrible and unpopular, though I feel that was moreso the studio's fault. More discussion in the anime thread, methinks.

Tarage posted:

Also, I'd like to draw some eyes over here: http://www.amazon.com/My-Monster-Secret-Vol-1/dp/1626922381/
This is the official English release of Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa, known as My Monster Secret. The entire team adores this manga, and we want it to succeed, so consider picking up a copy if you can. I got mine, and it's great!

Maybe we should update OP if possible?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I will when I get home

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Done, also edited it a bit, such as changing "a bunch of weirdoes in high school" to "a bunch of dorks in high school" because yeah

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mirage posted:

The sexy-pose-off between Youko and Minagawa while Rin wanders around bored in the background got me good.
:allears:
Definitely the best part. Those two girls have no chance at all so much to strive for..

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I could take or leave all of the charismatic pervert stuff to be honest, but as usual Youko is able to come to the rescue.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Has anyone else noticed that there's a war brewing in the first years' class? Probably Akane's fault.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Did we always know that the Charismatic Pervert was a human? Truly, Man is the most fearsome creature of all

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
http://bato.to/reader#dff44d704fa94787_20

youko put her blazer over rin as a blanket. :kimchi:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HellCopter posted:

Did we always know that the Charismatic Pervert was a human? Truly, Man is the most fearsome creature of all

Shiho is human. Shido's the wolf.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Just sitting here looking at the last page, trying to figure out the geometry of Shiho's spine. Baby got back, apparently.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Who?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HellCopter posted:

no, perverts are the most fearsome creatures. You said it yourself.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Is asahi's mum the real pervert? That'd be a crazy twist.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I love this manga for having come up with a completely nonsensical yet hilarious mythology based around perverts and glasses gods.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

ZiegeDame posted:

Has anyone else noticed that there's a war brewing in the first years' class? Probably Akane's fault.

Both the Kuromine siblings have it rough.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Man I really haven't ever completed or read manga regularly but the person who dumps this owns. This stuff is genuinely good in balancing the romcom genre.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I really need to catch up on this. Left off around chapter %(-^), and I've just left it by the wayside.

On the other hand, this got an official English print, and I picked up the first volume yesterday! Hopefully the translation is good.

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.
No new chapter this week, we fell behind. Sorry.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Welp, time to swallow a bullet :v:

EDIT: Actually, I do have a few more questions about the fan-translation business, if you don't mind turning this into a short Ask/Tell. What would you say is the hardest part of translating a manga? From where I'm standing, it seems redrawing might be the hardest and most time-consuming, but that's just me. Also, do you ever go back and correct stuff you've translated (maybe adjusting for context and stuff), re-uploading 'corrected' versions of whatever manga you've done? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 21, 2016

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.
Sure. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

Which part of scanlation is the hardest? That's a tough question, and it really depends on the manga. Full disclosure, I only really have experience with typesetting and QCing, but I know some of the annoying stuff that we've encountered. In regards to redrawing, it really depends on the manga. Sometimes I am baffled at what my redrawer says about some pages. I look at them and go "This looks like a nightmare" and he'll respond "Nah that's super easy". Likewise there are pages that look simple to me that cause him to melt into a puddle of tears. I've heard that speedlines and trees are the most obnoxious to redraw.

On the translation side two things do come to mind. Localization of jokes/puns and accents. Some authors love wordplay. Nishio Ishin is famous for this, which makes translating his works a nightmare. Jitsu Wa is easier, but still will every so often have some crazy wordplay that requires us to dig deep to figure out a way to translate the joke to Japanese. Futari Wa Pretty Anon's group leader AnonBlack has a ton of guides about localization that just scratch the surface of how to translate this stuff, which can be found here: http://prettyanonymo.us/index.php/scanlation-resources/scanlators-guide-to-translation/ The other issue is accents. One of the most frequent accents is Kansai-ben. This accent is from the Osaka region of Japan and usually gets equated to a southern accent. I suspect this is done because that's the easiest accent to show. The last chapter with Succushortbus was a challenge for us because we had to come up with yet another accent. Being that she was from the north and was a bit... pure, we tried to go with a minnesotan accent. Luckily we have a proofer who is from that area, so he was able to give us some advice, but I'm still not sold we actually pulled it off, or if people weren't thinking "Oh, she's from where Youko is from", which she is not.

Typesetting can be challenging when you start out, because you have to pick the right fonts, but after that it's about consistency. The fonts we use don't need a whole lot of kerning, so it's nice. Other series I've worked on have been a nightmare to kern. And while we're on the topic of consistency, one thing we always have to watch out for is that we are consistent with names and phrases. There have been times where we forgot the "female" part of the "charismatic female pervert" moniker, and it's annoyed me to no end. There have been many chapters where I've had to go back to previous chapters to check the way people said things for flashbacks. You can't hit them all, but you do what you can.

As for re-uploading 'corrected' versions, this is an annoying subject due to one thing: manga aggregators. The reason I always link to Batoto as opposed to sites like Kissmanga and what not is because Batoto gives scanlators full control over content. If we make a typo or forget a bubble, it's a simple process of deleting the chapter, uploading a new one, and everything's happy. Or it should be, if it weren't for aggregators. See, we don't upload to them, they take from sites like Batoto. And they do it in the most lazy way possible: bots. These bots troll rss feeds and when they see a new chapter go up, they grab it, slap their water mark on it, and upload it to their site to get page views. However, if I go back later and re-upload a chapter because of a mistake, the bots ignore it. They only ever grab the first thing that's uploaded. I managed to troll them one time by replacing a bubble saying "Why are you reading this on mangahere? Read it on an actual website". It took them days to notice.

So the short answer is, there are chapters I'd love to go back and fix, but due to the fact that so few people would ever see them, I only really do it if we majorly screw up. It's the reason we brought on a QC and post the pages to 4chan first. If a mistake is made, I want to catch it before it goes on Batoto so the incorrect version doesn't end up plastered over every manga reader site.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Tarage posted:

And while we're on the topic of consistency, one thing we always have to watch out for is that we are consistent with names and phrases. There have been times where we forgot the "female" part of the "charismatic female pervert" moniker, and it's annoyed me to no end. There have been many chapters where I've had to go back to previous chapters to check the way people said things for flashbacks. You can't hit them all, but you do what you can.

Real talk though, that phrase is clunky as hell, how did you wind up settling on it? There's got to be a way to translate 痴女 that isn't such a mouthful. I know in earlier chapters they just used Charismatic Pervert which flows better but obviously leaves out an important piece of information. Don't know if that was the same group, though. I'm just wondering if you guys ever considered other words? (A few off the top of my head: Slut, Harlot, Hussy, Nympho, Jezebel.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Pervert Queen

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

(A few off the top of my head: Slut, Harlot, Hussy, Nympho, Jezebel.)
I'm really glad they didn't go with any of these

Captain Invictus posted:

The Pervert Queen
This one's not too bad though

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, all of those imply a level of both moral disapproval and sexual availability that are both misleading and traditionally degrading in ways that Shiho's Mom really isn't. Pervert Queen's pretty okay.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It would also make Shiho the Pervert Princess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, that's very appropriate. The CFP really is treated like royalty in her own strange way.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I can't say I'm familiar enough with Japanese to know if 痴女 carries the same negative connotations that are traditionally associated with female sexuality in English. But that's the thing, it's not so much the words as the very idea of a sexually empowered woman that carries traditionally negative connotations. I mean, Pervert isn't exactly glowing praise. It's the context that it's used in the comic that changes that connotation. And it's not just about Shiho's Mom's title; this is a world that regularly holds Chijo Olympics.

There's a lot of words out there that carry that basic meaning. My favorite for being completely unworkable for this instance is vamp.

e: I mean going off the google translate of 痴 in Chinese it isn't exactly a nice term.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 22, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, but pervert has agency in a way that slut doesn't, the Pervert Olympics are much different in tone than the Slut Olympics would be.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I dunno, I've been to enough Slut Walks for the term to connote plenty of agency to me.

Something else to chew on is that Pervert is the only one of these terms that can be, and in fact is more frequently is, used to refer to men.

VVVV Why exactly can't we have a civil discussion about an interesting subject?

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 22, 2016

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Boy, this would be a great thread to not bog down in a discussion of gendered and discriminatory language.

Why don't we talk about a funny comic book instead? I liked when the Principal made adorable mini versions of herself to help Aizawa confess. Have we ever seen those guys again?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nipponophile posted:

Boy, this would be a great thread to not bog down in a discussion of gendered and discriminatory language.
Oh, please. Until the localization gives her an official name, it's not unreasonable to discuss what to call her, though stuff like slut probably shouldn't even be on the table since yeah, they're pretty negative! "The Pervert Queen" carries no such negativity, especially since pervert is already in there, and queen implies she's above all others.

case closed

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I like "The Debauchee' as a potential title for her. It has fewer negative connotations, it's short, and is French, so it sounds kind of elegant at the same time.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

There Bias Two posted:

I like "The Debauchee' as a potential title for her. It has fewer negative connotations, it's short, and is French, so it sounds kind of elegant at the same time.

I hope she works at the Maison Derrière.

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.

ZiegeDame posted:

Real talk though, that phrase is clunky as hell, how did you wind up settling on it? There's got to be a way to translate 痴女 that isn't such a mouthful. I know in earlier chapters they just used Charismatic Pervert which flows better but obviously leaves out an important piece of information. Don't know if that was the same group, though. I'm just wondering if you guys ever considered other words? (A few off the top of my head: Slut, Harlot, Hussy, Nympho, Jezebel.)

The short answer is we didn't. That was Underdog. However, we kept it for consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

CommissarMega posted:

Welp, time to swallow a bullet :v:

EDIT: Actually, I do have a few more questions about the fan-translation business, if you don't mind turning this into a short Ask/Tell. What would you say is the hardest part of translating a manga? From where I'm standing, it seems redrawing might be the hardest and most time-consuming, but that's just me. Also, do you ever go back and correct stuff you've translated (maybe adjusting for context and stuff), re-uploading 'corrected' versions of whatever manga you've done? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions.

In my limited experience (proofreading/QCing), I'd say redrawing and translating can be equally ridiculously difficult, each depending on the series you're doing. Next is typesetting, then comes cleaning, then proofreading/QCing.

The really surprising thing is how even though proofreading is the easiest scanlation job, so many people do it so very terribly.

Nipponophile posted:

Why don't we talk about a funny comic book instead? I liked when the Principal made adorable mini versions of herself to help Aizawa confess. Have we ever seen those guys again?

I believe so, although they did not grant wishes. They were just cute mini-principals.

• Locked thread