Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Could you make some sort of permanent litter tray? Take an ordinary one and nail it to the ground or something so he can't flip it, or make ramps for him to get in and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Fashionable Jorts posted:

The right (wrong?) kind of dog will take care of those delicious cat pellets for you no problem!

"You rang?"

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
You're not thinking big enough for Butterscotch. He's a big cat. Big cats don't need residential litter boxes, they need something more... industrial. We had some pretty fat cats growing up and my dad re-purposed a concrete mixing tub as a litter box. They come in different sizes but are usually only 6 inches tall, so most cats can step into it, and 10 gallons of sand/litter isn't going to be moved by anything under 50 pounds.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Haha. I love that a little throwaway story sparked such an informative de-rail.

In similar news to that, I've felt kinda bad hijacking the cute thread into the Butterscotch show. I may be starting a foster mega-thread in PI, which of course Butterscotch will be the mascot for, that may happen sooner rather than later if I gather up enough time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Chili posted:

In similar news to that, I've felt kinda bad hijacking the cute thread into the Butterscotch show. I may be starting a foster mega-thread in PI, which of course Butterscotch will be the mascot for, that may happen sooner rather than later if I gather up enough time.

Cool, Butterscotch will be one of the greats to get his own thread like Refurb!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

The right (wrong?) kind of dog will take care of those delicious cat pellets for you no problem!

When I had a roommate with a cat my dog would do that. He would come out of the bathroom with kitty litter stuck to his face. I just called them doggy protein bars.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
While most wildlife will kill you here in Australia, the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo is not in the deadly category. They make up for this by being destructive bastards

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Birb Katter posted:

While most wildlife will kill you here in Australia, the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo is not in the deadly category. They make up for this by being destructive bastards

My cat would do the same thing in that situation, only each tissue would be lovingly reduced to confetti first

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

khysanth posted:

We had a large cat that would also dangle his butt off the side of the litter box to both pee and poop! I ended up buying a plastic storage bin and cutting an entrance on the side (used an electric jigsaw, then filed the edges smooth). It also prevents a lot of mess the idiot cats make when they kick to bury their poops.

This. I searched for ages to find a box with high enough sides so my male cat wouldn't piss over the walls until I cut up a storage bin just like that. Way way way cheaper and more effective than any box I ever found at a pet store. Used a dremel to cut it to the best size for him to get in.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Instead of making the walls higher, make them go all the way over. As in: get a covered litter box. No jumping over walls required. Kitty goes in the entrance in the front, turns around to stick their face out into the light, dumps, scratches litter everywhere and most of that litter hits the walls and falls back in the tray.

I think they usually come with flaps on the front, to keep the litter from getting kicked out the entrance, but when I put the tray down with the flap on the cats didn't know what to do and pissed on my clothes instead. I just take the flap off. Still some stray litter pellets, but not a great deal.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

The Litter Robot is the best thing I've ever bought.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I had to take the lid off my cat's litter box, because she decided it was terrifying, and what little old lady cat wants, little old lady cat gets.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I usually put a small line of paper towels around the edge of the litter box for when my cat feels like going outside the walls, but that storage bin with the side cut open sounds like the best thing ever

In other news, have this lively tomato:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh my god it has a heart on it. :kimchi:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Patagonian penguin becomes best friends with an old man in Brazil, returning to his home yearly since 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjyx7cQ13kI

Elias_Maluco has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Jan 13, 2016

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

HopperUK posted:

I had to take the lid off my cat's litter box, because she decided it was terrifying, and what little old lady cat wants, little old lady cat gets.

Ditto. I bought the big fake flowerpot thing off Amazon and Mona will pee in it, but she will poo on the floor in front of it. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to conceal the litter box, since it's in my bedroom, and I'm thinking of putting the lower half of the flowerpot (the base of the litterbox) on a small side table from Ikea, then putting the decorative flower top part on top, then hiding it behind a kitty litter screen. That way you won't know what's back there unless you go over and look. We'll see, I guess.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I find this song cute.

https://soundcloud.com/gamechops/tem-shop-undertale-remix

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
I'm not sure if this is an awesome Battle Master post or a terrible Battle Master nightmare

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/A5...gKlDxye5OjFLGqf

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Selfie sticks are officially the best invention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGCDUsyNkVU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Jumpy is a wonderful dog name. Also very fitting for that dog. Just had a poke round on that channel and wow.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Yeah, Jumpy is pretty awesome. The guy who owns him, Omar, was also the owner/trainer of Uggie, the JRT best known from The Artist. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XLx_mHuwX4

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

That's really awesome

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DarklyDreaming posted:

I usually put a small line of paper towels around the edge of the litter box for when my cat feels like going outside the walls, but that storage bin with the side cut open sounds like the best thing ever

In other news, have this lively tomato:

Wanna rub its fat tummy. :kimchi:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Watching the way his tail shifts around during a jump is really interesting

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Hyperlynx posted:

Instead of making the walls higher, make them go all the way over. As in: get a covered litter box. No jumping over walls required.

Tried that. He wouldn't use it. Also the one I made costs like $6.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
My apartment has a no pets policy, so when I get the opportunity to visit my parents, and see their cats, I try and make the most of it.

Paddington is a big goofy troublemaker who loves running around in the attic and sneezing in people's faces.

He is also enthusiastic about bags, and is impressively tolerant of being picked up and carried around.

His brother Brendan is a little more skittish, but he too has recently discovered the joys of running around in the attic, though he's way more graceful about it. Also, when you pet him, he will stick his butt into the air, and continue lifting until he loses balance and falls over.

They are cat buddies.

Yin and Yang, they are.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

Chili posted:

We didn't succumb to the pressure from you lovely goons.

We really always wanted to keep him, it was just a matter of ensuring that we could do our absolute best for him. Butterscotch is relatively high maintenance.

He is in fact, adorable and lovely, but there's a lot of behind the scenes stuff that you all don't see.

A prime example of this are his poops. What's wrong with his poops you ask? Well, we have yet to find the exact right litter box to accommodate his size. They're all too small. What that means is that he goes in them and tries his damnedest to keep the litter in the box, but about half the time he ends up dropping little nuggets right over the edge.

So, go bigger right? Well you can't go too big, cause if you go too big then he can't clear the ledge and he can catch his back feet on it... which can flip the litter box. There's a sweet spot, and hopefully we'll find it soon.

Then of course there's the expensive food, the inevitable health problems down the line, the fact that he needs daily brushing/grooming 'cos he can't quite take care of himself, and that he treats the hours before mealtime as a cat opera.

To be clear, I am not complaining, just outlining our thought process. There were so many reasons for us to not keep Butterscotch.

There was, of course, the one reason to keep him. We love him.

He is 100% worth all the hassle because not only is his likeness a wonder-of-the-world, but he is so incredibly sweet. In reality, both my fiancee and I are dog people but we don't have the time and resources for a dog right now. Butterscotch is about as close as you get to a dog. He sits in our laps, sleeps in our bed, and he's incredibly friendly and approachable to all of the guests we have over.

So yeah:

Butterworth it.

Three words: underbed storage unit.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Adorable video of a rescued pit bull enjoying his first warm bath, but be warned, it starts with a story and some pictures of when they found him, starving and badly injured/neglected.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/13/abandoned-pitbull-enjoys-his-ever-warm-bath-in-heartwarming-video-5619982/

This pic of him tucked under a blanket is pretty sweet though:

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Something that's less about pets and more about cultural outreach through cooking, I just found a video about Korean ladies trying american-style Barbeque. It's surprisingly cute (Especially their reaction to the pork ribs).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWKOUxF-Dso

I just found it rather nice to see something like that, where people try new things instead of discarding them offhand for being 'different'

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

Sel Nar posted:

Something that's less about pets and more about cultural outreach through cooking, I just found a video about Korean ladies trying american-style Barbeque. It's surprisingly cute (Especially their reaction to the pork ribs).

Does anyone know if there are any good shows with that premise, maybe with a bigger range of some national cuisine each episode? Whether it's a Youtube thing or a TV series from some obscure country that's available online somewhere.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Rushputin posted:

Does anyone know if there are any good shows with that premise, maybe with a bigger range of some national cuisine each episode? Whether it's a Youtube thing or a TV series from some obscure country that's available online somewhere.
There's a bunch of YouTube videos with that premise. I liked this series, where American kids try foods from around the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGjeaHe7GkY

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Chili posted:

I hope you do. We are gearing up to foster here and an additional resource (goon-shut-in-hand-holding) would be nice.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Buzzfeed has a video with Yankees trying Southern food for the first time. "It's like a hug from God!"

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
So I was adopted by a kitten. I was at a restaurant and this really small street kitten snuck in all the way to the back and started nuzzling at my feet under the table. I went outside, gave him some cat food that I had in my car and left him eating it. To my surprise, he came back running while dodging the waiters. I decided to bring him back home, since he was too trusting and fearless to survive outside. I was going to put him up for adoption but I can't see myself doing that, he got me good.

I only have one cat, and I was concerned about how he would accept the kitten. Luckily for me, this small thing is not only a master of diplomacy with humans, but with cats as well:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

nerdz posted:

So I was adopted by a kitten. I was at a restaurant and this really small street kitten snuck in all the way to the back and started nuzzling at my feet under the table. I went outside, gave him some cat food that I had in my car and left him eating it. To my surprise, he came back running while dodging the waiters. I decided to bring him back home, since he was too trusting and fearless to survive outside. I was going to put him up for adoption but I can't see myself doing that, he got me good.

I only have one cat, and I was concerned about how he would accept the kitten. Luckily for me, this small thing is not only a master of diplomacy with humans, but with cats as well:

:kimchi:

He probably smelled your cat's scent on you and/or your shoes and was all "oh hey, that person has Cat Smell, time to shmooze!"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

nerdz posted:

Black cats best cats.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

nerdz posted:

Your other catte was probably happy you got him a mini-me

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

whiteyfats posted:

Buzzfeed has a video with Yankees trying Southern food for the first time. "It's like a hug from God!"
Buzzfeed has a ton of these videos. You can't miss them in the related videos list if you watch anything remotely like it. Most of them are pretty cute, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

I hope you do. We are gearing up to foster here and an additional resource (goon-shut-in-hand-holding) would be nice.

I just got the go ahead from a Pet Island mod and I'm building the OP now. Be on the lookout! In the meantime, I'm happy to chat outside of here if you need any support. PM me if you have any questions.

• Locked thread