Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

docbeard posted:

AM I DOING IT RIGHT?

What a bunch of jokers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Don't start with the bad puns, I'm getting sickle of them already.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Dude's just making a friendly jesture, man.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Wafflecopper posted:

Don't start with the bad puns, I'm getting sickle of them already.

Considering it's such a punishing game, I don't see why not.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Is there a good guide to getting started in the game? The one in the OP seems kinda outdated

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Don't be afraid to fill up your graveyard. People are going to die, especially if you actually like them. Also don't be afraid to run away to save your good people Upgrade the cart early. Don't bother upgrading skills/equipment early on, most of the time. Except get level 1 armor and weapons because they are cheap as hell. Fire the afflicted or save them up and send them on suicidal treasure hunts. Don't go into the Cove. Take full stacks of food & torches + 1 shovel for each length of dungeon. Short dungeons are a trap and go for longer whenever you can. Camping is strong as hell and can turn regular dudes into supermen with camp buffs. Don't forget to equip trinkets. Don't forget to choose you active combat/camping skills if you unlock new ones. Dodge is great in early dungeons and dodge tanking is stronger than having great heals. Hero tiering is subjective, and highly dependent on what kind of team they are rolling with. Hellion and Abomination are generally very strong right now. Jester, despite people playing with it in the thread, is trash. Pay attention to what positions your party can attack with what abilities. When combat starts off assess whether or not you are more concerned about taking damage or stress and then pick your targets accordingly. Many monsters are strongly dependent on positioning, so shuffling their positions can make them much less dangerous. No need to be a purist if the going is tough early on, so toggle options to take some of the danger out of them game if you want to.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
If you're like me and came from a 90s JRPG background, you might be tempted to think skills like Stun, Blight, or Bleed aren't going to do very much because everyone will resist them. Not so! Stun is amazing and hits often, Blight and Bleed are great and generally one or the other will work depending on the critter. Even Marking/+Dmg Marked Dudes Attacks are useful. Basically, every skill that someone has will have a place and is meant to be used.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Chair In A Basket posted:

Don't be afraid to fill up your graveyard. People are going to die, especially if you actually like them. Also don't be afraid to run away to save your good people Upgrade the cart early. Don't bother upgrading skills/equipment early on, most of the time. Except get level 1 armor and weapons because they are cheap as hell. Fire the afflicted or save them up and send them on suicidal treasure hunts. Don't go into the Cove. Take full stacks of food & torches + 1 shovel for each length of dungeon. Short dungeons are a trap and go for longer whenever you can. Camping is strong as hell and can turn regular dudes into supermen with camp buffs. Don't forget to equip trinkets. Don't forget to choose you active combat/camping skills if you unlock new ones. Dodge is great in early dungeons and dodge tanking is stronger than having great heals. Hero tiering is subjective, and highly dependent on what kind of team they are rolling with. Hellion and Abomination are generally very strong right now. Jester, despite people playing with it in the thread, is trash. Pay attention to what positions your party can attack with what abilities. When combat starts off assess whether or not you are more concerned about taking damage or stress and then pick your targets accordingly. Many monsters are strongly dependent on positioning, so shuffling their positions can make them much less dangerous. No need to be a purist if the going is tough early on, so toggle options to take some of the danger out of them game if you want to.

This is really helpful, thanks.

Are there certain quirk combos I should be looking out for? I got a Graverobber with a +3% crit for ranged attacks, which seems super good, but she doesn't know any ranged attacks right now. Is that a strong enough class/quirk to make her worth keeping to eventually teach her ranged attacks?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

This is really helpful, thanks.

Are there certain quirk combos I should be looking out for? I got a Graverobber with a +3% crit for ranged attacks, which seems super good, but she doesn't know any ranged attacks right now. Is that a strong enough class/quirk to make her worth keeping to eventually teach her ranged attacks?

def get your G-robber at least one throwing dagger attack. her standard one increases accuracy with each throw, and already has great crit chance. Flashing Daggers and/or the standard dagger throw is great. IMO she does great in rank 2 or 3 so go ahead and use her a ranged character if you want to maximize something like that crit quirk.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Lunge is so good that I lock 100% melee quirks with my GRs, but it's totally viable to just go with Throw and Flashing if that's your thing.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

So I just realized you can change skills during a mission. This entire time I'd been playing under the assumption that skills could only be changed in the hamlet, leading to many situations where I embarked with the wrong skillset and just gritted my teeth and dealt with it.

I feel really dumb right now :saddowns:

Wait, what? Really? How?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

FlocksOfMice posted:

Wait, what? Really? How?

open up the char screen (right clicking on a guy does it) and swap out skills just like you're in town. Can't do it during combat though.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

FlocksOfMice posted:

Wait, what? Really? How?
Right click a character who has more than four skills, left click the skill to unequip and then left click the skill you want.

Jesters are also excellent for bleed, stress management (in longer dungeons) and buffing.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I have played this game a ton and had no idea that you could switch skills in dungeons. I always just assumed that you had to make the choice in the hamlet. I have been playing all wrong.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Iron Chitlin posted:

Darkest Dungeon now has Steam achievements listed!

Not sure if they are actually implemented yet or coming with the new patch, but the list contains enough fun ones that go beyond "Kill X Boss" that I'm happy with it.

Does this mean there's still one more patch expected before release?

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
Reading the last page, I never realized you could only lock down three positive quirks. I knew you couldn't get rid of the locks once they're placed though so I started locking things down and get more good ones later. Thinking I should probably reraise half my Hamlet now.

Before I do, are there any quirks in particular I might not be realizing are really good? I already figure Slugger and Unerring are probably the best but I struggle to see if things like Deadly or Fated do very much or if Natural Swing/Eye are even necessary. Should I assume more quirks have yet to be rolled out with the full release and just wait til then?

Olive Branch posted:

I personally love Fated. It rerolls any miss again, basically making you attack twice. +Crit % is also really nice to lock in if you are focusing a ranged or melee set of skills, and for the defensively minded, Hard Skinned gives extra protection to tank.

Yeah for Tanks/Healers too, I figured Hard Skinned and Evasive are pretty necessary. Tough being more applicable on something like Man-At-Arms or Crusader. But then I'm not sure if Bleed/Blight Resist quirks might be better if they have so much health and I'm starting to experience the pain of Arterial Pinch.

Lyrax fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 14, 2016

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I personally love Fated. It rerolls any miss again, basically making you attack twice. +Crit % is also really nice to lock in if you are focusing a ranged or melee set of skills, and for the defensively minded, Hard Skinned gives extra protection to tank.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I plan to save 3 of the 4 +15Dmg to enemy types on a DPS class once I decide which should have it. Maybe a doggie with Beast Slayer, Unholy Slayer, and Eldritch Slayer.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
You could also instead use trinkets. There is that series of +25% damage vs [enemy type] rings that gives you much more flexibility than locking in those quirks which are kind of limited. Or you could stack them and basically make some types of monsters racial enemies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Chair In A Basket posted:

You could also instead use trinkets. There is that series of +25% damage vs [enemy type] rings that gives you much more flexibility than locking in those quirks which are kind of limited. Or you could stack them and basically make some types of monsters racial enemies.

Stacking with the rings was my plan. I have 3-4 of all the rings except the unholy slayer ring. drat thing won't show up on the wagon, as a reward, or random drop.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Darkest Dungeon twitter seems to be teasing a new scoutable thing on the map---looks like a gold square with a star on it. No idea what this could be!

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
The straight +Dmg ones are good - I have a hellion with Slugger and Warrior of Light locked down and boy howdy. She can wreck things.

The +Acc quirks are also very worthwhile. Enemy dodge outpaces hero accuracy growth, and so at high levels every little bit helps.

+Speed is quality on most heroes. I mean, if it's on a Leper or an Arb nobody cares, but on mid-speed characters it's really solid.

Most others aren't worth the cost of locking down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

docbeard posted:

AM I DOING IT RIGHT?

This reminds me of Final Fantasy 1, where you could build your own party composition.

I remember some old website had a rating for different party compositions, like letting you know that "warrior, blackmage, whitemage, thief" was pretty balanced and better than "whitemage, blackmage, whitemage, blackmage" or whatever.

Funny part was each composition had a little picture to quickly show you each party they were reviewing, including the parties of 4 of the same character.

Finally at the very bottom of the page is the party where its just 4 blackbelts, only they used 4 dead blackbelt sprites instead of the normal ones :haw: (because black belts are loving garbage)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Black Wombat posted:

+Speed is quality on most heroes.

Yeah this one is pretty up there in terms of top quirks.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Finally at the very bottom of the page is the party where its just 4 blackbelts, only they used 4 dead blackbelt sprites instead of the normal ones :haw: (because black belts are loving garbage)

Black belts have feelings too, please don't black belt shame

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Zaphod42 posted:

I remember some old website had a rating for different party compositions, like letting you know that "warrior, blackmage, whitemage, thief" was pretty balanced and better than "whitemage, blackmage, whitemage, blackmage" or whatever.

Darkest Dungeon actually has names for some of it's compositions, which pop up when you lock them in. I think Vestal/Jester/GR/Highwayman is "Wine, Women, and Song".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Pavlov posted:

Darkest Dungeon actually has names for some of it's compositions, which pop up when you lock them in. I think Vestal/Jester/GR/Highwayman is "Wine, Women, and Song".

They should let you "unlock" those combos when you make them and then have a list you can click to load that team. Or hell, just a way to save teams in general.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Pavlov posted:

Jester/Jester/Jester/Plague Doctor is called Commedia dell'Arte, which I think is a real touch of class.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

paradoxGentleman posted:

Jester/Jester/Jester/Plague Doctor is called Commedia dell'Arte, which I think is a real touch of class.

I question the effectiveness of this party setup.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I question the effectiveness of this party setup.

If you have a team called Commedia dell'Arte you have already won the most important battle.

seriously though they aren't all meant to be effective teams I imagine. It could maybe work if the first Jester uses Solo and Solo is for some reason more effective then I thought, the other two spam bleeds and the Plague Doctor carries the rest of the team, but by and large it exists for the purpose of the joke.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Some guy on Steam has you covered with all (?) the team combinations and names. Comments have more that weren't added.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=552578040

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I got mine from the wiki.
http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Party_Combos

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
PD/PD/PD/LEP = Critical Condition

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Is there a good guide to getting started in the game? The one in the OP seems kinda outdated

First upgrades on your town should be upgrading your coach to bring 4 heroes a week, and then level 1 skills/weapons/armor. That first rank of upgrades is cheap as hell and really effective, despite not being huge numbers. After that nothing is pressing as long as you're doing level 1 dungeons. When you start doing level 3 dungeons you'll want to be able to upgrade your skills/weapon/armor to match.

Despite what we go on about here, all the heroes are useful somewhere. Some are strong just in general, while the ones we're down on tend to be basically useful for 1 area. Taking 8 food/torch and 1 shovel per mission length is a solid rule of thumb, for medium/long grab another 2-4 food for the camp if you're camping in the 2nd room, otherwise just take the rest of the food available so you can feast when you camp.

Stuns/movement skills are really good, because enemy damage will outpace the healing you can do usually, and stress damage is a long term thing that you have to deal with. Note that a lot of enemies have restrictions on moves just like your guys do. If you move the ranged bandit guy into their front slot, his only attack is a low accuracy low damage single target hit. If you move the claw cultist guy into spot 3 or 4, he only has a much weaker attack to use.

Aoe skills are useful in specific circumstances/setups, but generally stay away from them. Killing the squishy enemies or stunning or moving them to a spot where they can't attack before they can pile on damage/stress damage is the basic gameplan.

If you want to learn curio interactions on your own, more power to you. If you don't

This is the best one I've found. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=386706480

Don't trust the wiki.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

This reminds me of Final Fantasy 1, where you could build your own party composition.

Funny part was each composition had a little picture to quickly show you each party they were reviewing, including the parties of 4 of the same character.

Black belts aren't garbage, u r!!! (they just had a weird design where you were supposed to use nunchucks for the first 6-8 levels before going barehanded, and funky armor restrictions, and with the awful UI it was real hard to recognize the problem. Used properly blackbelts were nearly as good as fighters, without the astronomical money investment)

Maybe someone will find the magic trick to make jesters good??

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Indecisive posted:

Yeah, use them with Abominations

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Normal Adult Human posted:

PD/PD/PD/LEP = Critical Condition

hahaah, that one owns. and would actually be a pretty decent team too

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Indecisive posted:

Black belts aren't garbage, u r!!! (they just had a weird design where you were supposed to use nunchucks for the first 6-8 levels before going barehanded, and funky armor restrictions, and with the awful UI it was real hard to recognize the problem. Used properly blackbelts were nearly as good as fighters, without the astronomical money investment)

Thing is theif in FF1 was pretty much a strictly better black belt. Or a fighter like you said. The only upside to black belt is that you don't have to buy gear for him, which is pretty weak.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pavlov posted:

I can attest from experience that 4 Jesters is "Fools Rush In", which seems, at best, optimistic.

Out of curiosity, how hard would it be to mod the game so that it only makes one class available on the stagecoach every week? Asking for a friend...

paradoxGentleman posted:

seriously though they aren't all meant to be effective teams I imagine. It could maybe work if the first Jester uses Solo and Solo is for some reason more effective then I thought,

Even by Jester standards, Solo has never really blown me away except as a way to set up Finale (if you really must).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, use them with Abominations

I like to think the Abomination was strictly created so Jesters had something to do. You can't use 3 other classes when using Abominations so that limits things already but you really could use those stress debuffs.