Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Chill la Chill posted:

I didn't read anything about a man calling himself trick getting fired. Are we sure this is the right announcement? :confused:

Pretty sweet that a "Global Community Manager" can communicate so badly that his community ignites in near-unanimous disapproval, to the point where his boss needs to step in and do damage control, and he still gets to come to the office the next day. Maybe WOTC isn't such a bad place to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
How many of Trick's stupid announcements does Elaine have to packpedal this week?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Terrible Horse posted:

Pretty sweet that a "Global Community Manager" can communicate so badly that his community ignites in near-unanimous disapproval, to the point where his boss needs to step in and do damage control, and he still gets to come to the office the next day. Maybe WOTC isn't such a bad place to work.

Well it is pretty obvious that quality is not something they hold in high regard *cough modo cough*

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Maybe using proxy playtest cards should be like unemployment benefits, in that you have to show evidence that you've visited a certain number of online retailers this week looking for a copy of the card at a reasonable price. Of course, it would purely be a formality because the cards people would proxy aren't available at reasonable prices.

watch someone misconstrue this joke to mean that I think not owning magic cards is as bad as being unemployed

Terrible Horse posted:

hmmm *looks over weekly activities report* you took a giant poo poo on the community but there's no evidence that you told people they could use fake cards in their commander games with friends, so your job is safe. good job, ol' sport

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, that settled far better than it could have.

I also have to wonder if Trick is amazingly good at kissing rear end at work, because his rear end should be fired by now.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I know that feels crazy, that we regard marker on a card as a counterfeit, but remove the visual accuracy from the judgment – they serve identical purposes when it comes to game play.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

ManiacMatt posted:

Going to be in Fremont California for work the next few weeks. Looking at possibly hitting up a pre-release event/day this weekend. Anyone have suggestions for where to hit up or what places are good.

Thanks

Unsure of what's in Fremont, but there's really good stores in Berkeley (Eudemonia), and San Jose (Channel loving Fireball).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Hellsau posted:

I know that feels crazy, that we regard marker on a card as a counterfeit, but remove the visual accuracy from the judgment – they serve identical purposes when it comes to game play.

Technically, both a markered card and a "true" counterfeit also serve identical purposes to a real card when it comes to gameplay, but I'm sure the mere thought of acknowledging that causes Trick to poo poo his desk chair even harder than usual.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

My biggest takeaway from all this is that Trick isn't his actual given name, bestowed upon him by hippie parents as I thought, but the short form of Patrick that he willingly chooses to use in the year 2016.

Edit: Maybe it's time to whip up that web-based WER alternative I've been toying with, since one of the qualities of a tournament being "sanctioned" is it using WER.

I assumed his parents had just seen Hackers, but it is actually incredible that this is a self-taken name and not either a gaming handle or something he still frowns at his parents for.

JerryLee posted:

Technically, both a markered card and a "true" counterfeit also serve identical purposes to a real card when it comes to gameplay, but I'm sure the mere thought of acknowledging that causes Trick to poo poo his desk chair even harder than usual.

lmao

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Booklegger posted:

Elaine also carefully elided discussion of non-sanctioned tournaments.

Yeah it's disappointing because when Elaine comments on something, it always feels like she's allowed to be blatant about things. And this time, she specifically avoided clearing up the thing that caused people to be upset about this in the first place.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

How many of Trick's stupid announcements does Elaine have to packpedal this week?

Elaine Chase should take over his duties, with the caveat that she has to write up and publish her articles before or simultaneously with whatever announcement. Especially because I know people who work there, I can't believe that WotC is that out of touch with the playerbase that they can't predict how they will react to major shakeups such as (and these are what was being yelled the loudest): people being banned for looking at spoilers and the nuking of unsanctioned Legacy and Vintage.

For what it's worth (broad definition of "worth"), Patrick Jarret's official Magic Twitter account retweeted this:

quote:

Jim Thevenot ‏@jimthev 56m56 minutes ago

@TrickMTG @ElaineChase Thank's for officially stating that non-DCI sanctioned events are allowed to use "lands with sharpies" proxy cards.

...which I imagine he'd be in hot water for retweeting if it wasn't a fact.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I dunno, if I owned a LGS that basically lived and died on its WPN status, I still wouldn't run anything with proxies until there was an unambiguous answer, especially with the "personal, non-commercial" wording.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno, if I owned a LGS that basically lived and died on its WPN status, I still wouldn't run anything with proxies until there was an unambiguous answer, especially with the "personal, non-commercial" wording.

I'm glad we finally have clarity about the rules for this complex, ruled based card game.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
lol so in the end, Wizards isn't a big bad company out to gently caress us all in the rear end, and Elaine Chase should probably be their sole public face across all possible media

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If people are still willing to tweet Elaine, why not ask her how Trick hasn't been fired yet for making her backpedal basically every public statement he's made since she started?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
At this point it feels like a huge chunk of the WotC staff is made up of either ex-pros or ex-bloggers, what a coincidence that the most competent people (Elaine, Helene, Maro) either have a professional background in what they do, or have been with the company for like 15 years.

It turns out that someone being good at a game doesn't mean they're good at making games, and someone running a blog doesn't qualify them for being the global face of an entire company!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

At this point it feels like a huge chunk of the WotC staff is made up of either ex-pros or ex-bloggers, what a coincidence that the most competent people (Elaine, Helene, Maro) either have a professional background in what they do, or have been with the company for like 15 years.

It turns out that someone being good at a game doesn't mean they're good at making games, and someone running a blog doesn't qualify them for being the global face of an entire company!

Looking at her LinkedIn profile, she was also an elementary school teacher, so she has prior experience on how to deal with the magic community.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Maro -

Agreed with regards to MaRo and his "blog".

Cactrot posted:

Looking at her LinkedIn profile, she was also an elementary school teacher, so she has prior experience on how to deal with the magic community.

Man I didn't play magic until I was in middle school, did I miss out?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone know why Tooth and Nail is 22 bucks?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
who knew a game designed, developed, and played by fat sweaty introverted nerds would have issues with communication and :spergin:

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

mcmagic posted:

Probably mostly due to EDH.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cactrot posted:

What we also really need are judges like the famous rugby ref Nigel Owens: http://youtu.be/6FDh1xtqaWA

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

It seems like it sees some play in Wave-style ramp decks?

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11241&d=263878&f=MO
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11159&d=263471&f=MO

And even replaces wave in those shells.

It fetches Xenagod + Emrakul for a combo kill or something.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I've seen it in green tron too.

TandN out emrakul and xenagod, gg

Edit: :smith:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I have eight of them please keep going up uP UP!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Molybdenum posted:

I've seen it in green tron too.

TandN out emrakul and xenagod, gg

Edit: :smith:

It's super bad in Tron...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zoness posted:

What does Kenjia Egashira do that isn't meme-ing and making me remember that there is a Kenji that isn't Tsumura?

Kenji is actually quite a good player. Often catches obscure lines, and is good at quickly assessing the tempo of upcoming turns. His biggest fault is occasionally making rash "yolo" calls, but I think that's partially because he did does this hours a day, and he seems to be getting better about it.

The twitch-steamer "hello friend" package makes me want to close his stream every time, though.

-
PV was a great, insightful commentator. Who the hell thinks otherwise?

Gaby was okay, but, of course, she's barely had any experience (commentating).

I'd just like some better color commentary - the Wotc produced streams lack people that are actually legitimately good at the game (the European ones are better about this).

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mcmagic posted:

1) It's a rare from a set nobody has opened in large numbers for more than a decade
2) Resolving it basically instantly wins you the game
3) #mtgfinance

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

1) It's a rare from a set nobody has opened in large numbers for more than a decade

Reprinted in Modern Masters. FWIW

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

It's super bad in Tron...

I don't think anyone is suggesting that someone should put Tooth and Nail in the regular Tron deck.

The only deck I've ever played in Modern that had T&N in it was a Utopia Sprawl/Arbor Elf deck.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

Wonder if there is a jump that coincides with this being published?

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-modern-tooth-and-ramp/

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 14, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cactrot posted:

Wonder if there is a jump there coincides with this being published?

That has to be it. The Titan Scapeshift ramp deck is better I think.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cactrot posted:

Wonder if there is a jump that coincides with this being published?

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Mirrodin/Tooth+and+Nail#paper

It's been rapidly increasing in price since a week before that article went up.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Hellsau posted:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Mirrodin/Tooth+and+Nail#paper

It's been rapidly increasing in price since a week before that article went up.

Clearly the CFB card cabal has been buying them up in record numbers anticipating the spike before they released their article.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I just hope I can get $300 for my foil goblin guide!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Booklegger posted:

Reprinted in Modern Masters. FWIW

This doesn't really move the needle on the "there aren't that many of them around" point.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

What, did everyone just read the spoiler now?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Saffron Olive had it on his "buy this now before it's $40" part of his article or something

Saffron Olive posted:

Financially, I want to point out that when Wizards prints utility cards at Mythic, in small sets on short cycles, crazy things have been known to happen with the cards' price. Especially when these cards are Modern or Legacy playable. Remember Voice of Resurgence? It spent most of its Standard life between $40 and $55. Bonfire of the Damned? Peaked at just over $45. Lotus Cobra, Baneslayer Angel, even Monastery Mentor is nearly back to $20 despite being a fringe player in Standard. While I'm not saying it will happen, there is a reasonable chance that Kozilek's Return will be the card everyone is complaining about come next fall because it costs $150 for a playset.

Let's now consider Kozilek's Return is the card in Oath of the Gatewatch that is mostly likely to show up at the Pro Tour next month. Having a good showing at a Pro Tour does crazy things to a card's price in the short term. Since Pro Tour Oath is Modern, the opportunities for new cards to shine will be severely limited. That said, you have to bet the pros will be testing various Eldrazi builds. Tron already plays four copies of Pyroclasm and Kozilek's Return
might be better in the deck. While the odds may not be high, there is some chance that Kozilek's Return wins the Pro Tour next month, in which case it will spike to something ridiculous like $40 over the short term.

Bottom line: Kozilek's Return is the best Mythic in Oath of the Gatewatch. It is one of the few cards that could end up being a steal at preorder prices.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Boco_T posted:

Saffron Olive had it on his "buy this now before it's $40" part of his article or something

Too bad his comparison were to two of the worst draft sets ever released. I'm not saying OOB will be good, but oath is going to be more opened than those two sets combined. He also forgets expeditions exist, which means even in a set like BFZ where's there's one good mythic, it's going to be available at 20-25$ in a month or two even if there's 0 other money cards.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

What, did everyone just read the spoiler now?

It's a good card but this set is going to get opened a shitload

E: I'll just get 4 of it, but for my money I'd buy up all the Sea Gate Wreckages I could right now.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's a good card but this set is going to get opened a shitload

Will it? The expedition list this time isn't nearly as impressive, with Wasteland standing far above the others. I think currently the second most expensive one is Eye of Ugin which is going about half.

I could be underestimating the chase crowd, but minus the heavily playable lands in the BFZ expeditions I could see it not being as big a deal. That said, I think the actual rares/mythics are a step above this time so that could make a difference (only really Gideon and Newlamog seem to have any value from BFZ, iirc).

• Locked thread