Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I'm starting to NOT LIKE these Nazi guys everyone is posting about!

It really weirds me out that there was this dude who was loving sewing people together, and still there are people who are like "yknow the nazis had some good ideas"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Geniasis posted:

It really weirds me out that there was this dude who was loving sewing people together, and still there are people who are like "yknow the nazis had some good ideas"

TBF American doctors have done some pretty despicable poo poo in the name of science as well. But yeah, the Nazis weren't great role models.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Vulpes posted:

But yeah, the Nazis weren't great role models.

Man, the more I hear about these guys the less I like them.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Hitler: History's rudest jerk?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I'm starting to NOT LIKE these Nazi guys everyone is posting about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRPmjlqBFXQ

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Vulpes posted:

TBF American doctors have done some pretty despicable poo poo in the name of science as well. But yeah, the Nazis weren't great role models.

Yeah, but we at least pretend to disapprove that sort of behavior.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Geniasis posted:

I'm told there was a lot of data taken out of the concentration camp laboratories that was invaluable to medical science, but nobody could get it any other way because it required being a monster.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jedit posted:

I'm told there was a lot of data taken out of the concentration camp laboratories that was invaluable to medical science, but nobody could get it any other way because it required being a monster.

I think that might actually be the Japanese murder camps. Could be both of them though.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Jedit posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

"Hey, uh, if you wanna give us some of that research we'll overlook the whole death camp thing."

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Jedit posted:

I think the only research that's ever been useful was some on hypothermia, the rest of it was either shittily run and didn't prove anything, or established such revolutionary facts as surgery without anaesthetic is agonising.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Jedit posted:

That issue has always been interesting to me, because while I can see the argument that using the data in some way legitimizes what was done, on the other hand none of what happened can be undone and if any of that information can be used to save lives, isn't it worth it to try and turn what was wickedly done to some good end?

Anyway, don't trust Big Pharma is what I'm trying to say.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Actually, most of those "medical" tests were just stupid and bizarre stuff like trying to sew twins together. They didn't produce much useful data in the end.

shinymodem
May 21, 2007
The scary and unnerving part to me is Mengele went on to live with almost no consequences for his actions until he stroked out swimming off the coast of a resort in Argentina, in loving 1978.

"Rolf, who had not seen his father since the ski holiday in 1956, visited him there in 1977 and found an unrepentant Nazi who claimed he had never personally harmed anyone and had only done his duty."

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

ro5s posted:

I think the only research that's ever been useful was some on hypothermia, the rest of it was either shittily run and didn't prove anything, or established such revolutionary facts as surgery without anaesthetic is agonising.

IIRC there is some data on the elasticity of human skin that was pretty useful too.

Geniasis posted:

That issue has always been interesting to me, because while I can see the argument that using the data in some way legitimizes what was done, on the other hand none of what happened can be undone and if any of that information can be used to save lives, isn't it worth it to try and turn what was wickedly done to some good end?

Anyway, don't trust Big Pharma is what I'm trying to say.

Yeah this is an interesting argument that came up in my ethics class. The consensus is basically condemn the people who did it and punish them to the fullest extent of the law, but if some poor sap needs medical help and the data will save them use it, because using the data now saves a life/prevents suffering and doesn't cause anyone any more undue suffering. Don't think of it as legitimizing it, think of it as trying to make something good happen from the sacrifices of the people who were murdered, but really if you withhold medical treatment that is not somehow causing someone else harm for ethical reasons, you're a bad lovely doctor.

See also, doctors who won't provide care for religious reasons.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I don't really see it as different from using information gathered from treating survivors of torture or trauma, or from using neurological data gathered from people who've suffered brain injuries. Something terrible happened to people, or was done to them, and as a side effect, valuable medical information is now available. Of course we should use that information.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
We had a discussion about it in a school debate class about whether information gathered from the experiments should be used. It was quite a lively debate.

AnonSpore posted:

So The Human Centipede was a documentary huh

If there was anyone who would do something like that in real life it would be Joseph loving Mengele.

Rochallor posted:

Man, the more I hear about these guys the less I like them.

Maybe we are the villains of this story.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
From what I've read, we might have looked at the data gathered in concentration camp experiments, but it was all pretty much useless scientifically, due to the Nazis not really having any control groups or system of documenting/comparing results to speak of, a hugely obvious level of researcher bias, and the fact that their test subjects were all starving and probably had existing illnesses from, you know, being in a concentration camp.

Which actually made me feel better. I like knowing that Nazis were, are, and will always be loving useless bastards.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

shinymodem posted:

The scary and unnerving part to me is Mengele went on to live with almost no consequences for his actions until he stroked out swimming off the coast of a resort in Argentina, in loving 1978.

"Rolf, who had not seen his father since the ski holiday in 1956, visited him there in 1977 and found an unrepentant Nazi who claimed he had never personally harmed anyone and had only done his duty."

Mengele is the main example I've given in the past to the (few) non-religious people I know who actually believe in some sort of karma system

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
Here's something else creepy. It's a book excerpt in which a set of twins who survived Mengele talk about him, and one of the things they bring up is how handsome he was.

quote:

I ask Pearl to describe Mengele, and her eyes light up. “He was the most handsomest—”

“Like Clark Gable,” Helen interjects.

“He was tall and the most handsome guy,” Pearl continues. “He should have been an actor or something and not killed Jews. His boots-—they were so shiny that instead of a mirror, you could have used his boots.”

The boots clearly made an impression. “They were cleaned like three times a day,” Helen goes on. “And he changed always his uniforms. He was the most handsomest guy. I don't think Clark Gable was as handsome as he was.”

“No,” Pearl says definitively. “Walking around with a little—what is it called? Swagger?”

“Even the prisoners,” Helen says. “Some of them fell in love with him.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2009/10/28/dr-mengeles-twins.html

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aesop Poprock posted:

Mengele is the main example I've given in the past to the (few) non-religious people I know who actually believe in some sort of karma system

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the classical definition of Karma but I feel like Mengele never receiving any kind of comeuppance really doesn't disprove it? Like, he can still be reincarnated as a dung beetle or something and have a succession of lovely, terrible lives after that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Travis343 posted:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the classical definition of Karma but I feel like Mengele never receiving any kind of comeuppance really doesn't disprove it? Like, he can still be reincarnated as a dung beetle or something and have a succession of lovely, terrible lives after that.

The word he is looking for is kismet.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

ro5s posted:

Yeah I remember reading about this and being struck by how similar it was to like... kids torturing their Barbie dolls or something, putting them in the microwave, except with actual people as the victims. Like the perpetrators were somehow bored with them, like they couldn't think of anything to do except challenge themselves to degrade and dehumanize them EVEN FURTHER. There's a deep-seated cruelty that seems always to come out whenever one person has absolute power over the lives of others.

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

Degenerate Star posted:

“He should have been an actor or something and not killed Jews."

The art of understatement.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

That's why I specified non-religious, karma when used in the "what goes around comes around" kind of way most people use it as

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Travis343 posted:

I think it's more that the average American using the word karma has no real comprehension of what it is.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
Can anyone provides some good episodes of True Murder? I'm kind of picking them at random and the content varies wildly. The best was Dan talking about his own book.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Pol Pot, leader of the Cambodian Khmer Rouge, died peacefully in his sleep in 1998, right before he was going to go to trial by an international tribunal. An article about Security Prison 21 (or S-21), now known as the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum. Out of at least 17,000 prisoners only 12 survived in a span of only four years (1975 to 1979).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bean_shadow posted:

Pol Pot, leader of the Cambodian Khmer Rouge, died peacefully in his sleep in 1998, right before he was going to go to trial by an international tribunal. An article about Security Prison 21 (or S-21), now known as the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum. Out of at least 17,000 prisoners only 12 survived in a span of only four years (1975 to 1979).

I remember reading an article a few years ago about Pot's final days. The article went into a bit of detail about how, even though most of the country knew what he did and what an evil bastard he was, there were still those that thought he was a good leader and looked after him and treated him well.
You see the same stuff going on in the Balkans where there are people that should probably be arrested but are living in towns and cities like some every day nobody, or worse, as some kind of war hero.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hell, a giant gold(painted) statue of Chairman Mao was just erected in one of the areas most affected by famine. It came down after a wave of attention and ridicule, but that it happened at all is pretty weird.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Doctor_Acula posted:

Can anyone provides some good episodes of True Murder? I'm kind of picking them at random and the content varies wildly. The best was Dan talking about his own book.
You've probably heard it as it was pretty recent but the one on "A Checklist for Murder" by Anthony Flacco was good enough to get me to go out and buy the book.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Doctor_Acula posted:

I liked the one where Steve Jackson was talking about No Stone Unturned.

The audio quality of the interviews can ruin otherwise good eps IMO.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Madkal posted:

I remember reading an article a few years ago about Pot's final days. The article went into a bit of detail about how, even though most of the country knew what he did and what an evil bastard he was, there were still those that thought he was a good leader and looked after him and treated him well.
You see the same stuff going on in the Balkans where there are people that should probably be arrested but are living in towns and cities like some every day nobody, or worse, as some kind of war hero.

There are a large percentage of people in Russia who think that Joseph Stalin wasn't that bad. Stalin ended up having a stroke but wasn't found for quite a few hours later because he had given people instructions to not disturb him in the morning. Finally in the evening, after waiting all day, someone went in to check on him and he was on the ground besides his bed covered in stale urine, unable to talk. He died a few hours later. It is thought that he had been planning a new purge.

What with World War I (1.7 million), Stalin's rule (half a million to a million from purges and around 5-10 million from the famine caused by his policies) and World War II (roughly 20-26 million both military and civilian) it's amazing there were any Russians left.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Countries love their old dead dictators because said dictator killed everyone who didn't like him.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

Countries love their old dead dictators because said dictator killed everyone who didn't like him.

Also some of those people are just blindly nationalistic and refuse to admit it even if deep down they know their leaders were evil trash

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

BattleMaster posted:

They make the trains run on time. People justify past cooperation with regimes by only remembering how well things worked, not how many people disappeared. What chills me the most were the killing of defectives by the Nazis. Anyone could be called genetically defective.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

Also some of those people are just blindly nationalistic and refuse to admit it even if deep down they know their leaders were evil trash

America still loves Andrew Jackson.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Terrible Opinions posted:

I was glad to hear there was a movement to put a woman on currency, but then found out they were kicking off Hamilton and not Jackson and was pissed. Yeah, keep the garbage human being president, who also destroyed the BUS, on currency but not the first Treasurer and all around badass. Okay.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Via the crazy political email thread:
Christian Army veteran 'killed his formerly Muslim wife and five-year-old daughter execution style before writing in Arabic on the walls with their blood and committing suicide'
:smith:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

My presidential history is rusty; what's so bad about Andrew Jackson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

My presidential history is rusty; what's so bad about Andrew Jackson?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Removal_Act