Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I am totally cool with Sunday nights basically being racing nights over a bunch of games.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
New thread this weekend. Jehde has first call on first post after OP if he wants to continue with the mod list. If someone else wants an early post to contribute something, please say so.

Unless someone thinks we need some funny thread title and also has one, I'm just going with 2016 Edition.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

PC Sim Racing 2016 - Its The Other Guy's Fault

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

+1

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

njsykora posted:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Alternates

Clutch Gear Shifts
Every Sim Sucks
Just A Modded 2015 Thread

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

njsykora posted:

alr
May 14, 2009
I finally got around to trying out a FoV calculator for a "correct" view and hoo poo poo

It's too narrow to race with since it's a single 22" screen further away than I'd like, but I'm noticeably faster already and more comfortable with the dimensions of the car in relation to the kerbs, walls, etc. Now I"m looking at hooking up an old phone for an LCD dash and pricing a 970 and an ultrawide monitor. I think I'll leave the GPU til whatever nvidias next cards are but I understand the iracing thread title a bit better now

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
PC Sim Racing 2016 - rig cost inversely proportional to talent

PC Sim Racing 2016 - check out the size of my rig

PC Sim Racing 2016 - last year's edition now on console

L_Harrison fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 13, 2016

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
PC Sim Racing 2016 - FoV and paddle shifting are just preferences

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Tony Montana posted:

unironically true and i stand by it

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

OhsH posted:

unironically true and i stand by it

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 13, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

lol might as well.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

What's the paddle shifting joke?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah it seems like with VR helmets, video cards getting into the high 900's in model numbers, and compound miter saws being really cheap, spending any kind of money on a new sim rig is a bad idea for the next 12 months or so.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why? it would be the perfect time to get a sim rig.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I can see not wanting to buy a cockpit when you can build one, but PC components are gonna get cheaper through the year based on what I've seen. Neither graphics cards or processors really have anything major planned for release so its a good time to improve the PC. Hopefully to be equipped for when/if VR becomes more affordable or just to be set to be able to run the DX12 games when they eventually start coming out.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Maybe nothing major in the CPU side, though by the time you receive a VR headset, new GPUs should be out. So I wouldn't spend much there unless you're using something ancient and need performance now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Phuzun posted:

Maybe nothing major in the CPU side, though by the time you receive a VR headset, new GPUs should be out. So I wouldn't spend much there unless you're using something ancient and need performance now.

Yeah, I'm not stepping up to a 970/80 this year but I'll probably grab a 950 over the summer. My focus regarding rig upgrades this year though is moving from the G27 to a Thrustmaster of some kind and replacing my AMD processor with an i5.

E: Very late to the party but the Abarth 1000 mod for AC is awesome. There are a wonderful assortment of old touring cars for that game now.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 14, 2016

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Since no one else made his preference known, njsykora wins with one vote:

:siren:Assetto Corsa: Sunday, 17th, 8PM (20:00) GMT.

DTM (E30,190E,Alfa155) at Zandvoort

Dream Pack 1 DLC required.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 14, 2016

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

Imho we should drift for 3 hours.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

OhsH posted:

Imho we should drift for 3 hours.

No-drifting server.
All driving aids disabled.
Forced FOV.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

GhostDog posted:

What region are you in? I want to join you guys, but I don't want to be a burden with high ping times.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

No-drifting server.
Forced FOV.

Fov 70+? I hope so.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Its classic DTM cars, they drift whether you want them to or not.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

GhostDog posted:

No-drifting server.
Forced FOV.

nah we need to force enable traction control to stop evil drifting from infecting our pure racing game

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Ratmtattat posted:

What region are you in? I want to join you guys, but I don't want to be a burden with high ping times.

I host from Germany, most of the guys are US and UK. Just join, you're not going to ruin anyone's safety rating if your ping makes your car slightly bigger than it looks. If you warp all over the place bowling cars left and right I'll just kick you :)

It's going to be a bit of a stress test anyway, so far I only hosted SCE, and only with a handful of people. Although, that one time about a dozen brazilians flodded in and it seemed alright.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

njsykora posted:

Its classic DTM cars, they drift whether you want them to or not.

https://vimeo.com/9810317

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I like Schumacher getting white stuff dumped all over his head and looking gloomy. Unless thats not Schumacher and it's some other random German. They all look the same to me.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

this owned very hard.

It's called throttle control.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Oh poo poo. I'll try hard to make it to the DTM race this Sunday. That sounds incredibly fun.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Something of interest maybe, the Internet Archive uploaded loads of MS-DOS games into their software library today and quite a few of them might be of interest, if only historical. Indianapolis 500 and IndyCar Racing specifically have popped up for in-browser streaming. Not the best way to play those but it's interesting to look at.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

njsykora posted:

Something of interest maybe, the Internet Archive uploaded loads of MS-DOS games into their software library today and quite a few of them might be of interest, if only historical. Indianapolis 500 and IndyCar Racing specifically have popped up for in-browser streaming. Not the best way to play those but it's interesting to look at.

Man, this takes me way back. I used to watch my dad play these games all the time.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hehe, I played both of these on Amiga when I was a teenager. I used a joystick, forward to accel, back to brake, it worked and as a kid I loved it. Chassis like 'Lola' always used to make me scratch my head, being Australian and into Formula One. It's probably where it all started for me with racing sims.

I always spin out when I hear 'my Dad used to play these', the idea of having a Dad that understood computers at all.. let alone actually played a video game for his own enjoyment seems so unbelievably awesome I can't quite comprehend it. My parents never really understood games or computers, are barely savvy now and just nod when I tell them something to do with my career (also computers).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Pops has never been a computer person, but he knew how to load those old games. He stopped gaming around the mid 90s. For Christmas, I got him a PS3, Logitech DFGT, wheel stand, Formula 1 2014 and Grid Autosport, and showed him how to use it all. It blew his mind how far games have come since those old Papyrus titles; he watched the opening cutscene for F1 and was just in awe.

I think I'll Shadowplay some footage from these DOS games and send it to him, haha. Hey Pops, remember this poo poo from 25 years ago?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

GhostDog posted:

oh hai i should be there as I should finally have a wheel setup again for the first time in 9 loving months (kinda hard to get a wheel setup when you've been couch surfing for that long)

I maywill suck.

E: Also I may be streaming, will know for sure Saturday night.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 15, 2016

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

jonathan posted:

I like Schumacher getting white stuff dumped all over his head and looking gloomy. Unless thats not Schumacher and it's some other random German. They all look the same to me.

I was about to say Schumacher never drove DTM, but then I decided to check and apparently he did a handful of races between Formula 3 and Formula 1. That's not him though, his best finish was 14th.

Tony Montana posted:

Hehe, I played both of these on Amiga when I was a teenager.

Let's not forget the best driving game on Amiga.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

GhostDog posted:

I was about to say Schumacher never drove DTM, but then I decided to check and apparently he did a handful of races between Formula 3 and Formula 1. That's not him though, his best finish was 14th.

Let's not forget the best driving game on Amiga.

Test Drive 1 and 2 were the poo poo, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Tony Montana posted:

Chassis like 'Lola' always used to make me scratch my head, being Australian and into Formula One.

But Lola made F1 cars in 3 of the 4 seasons from 1990-93, surely they'd be the *most* familiar?

• Locked thread