Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SlyFrog posted:

Also, no joke, this is why I do not like games that are pretty much pure word/puzzle games like this. I feel like they're always a quiet test to see who is the most NPR-listening, high SAT scoring, "lol I'm not in Mensa, Mensa is only the top 2%, I'm far better than that," sniffing person in the room.

Thing is, those people are typically poo poo at those games and all board games. Its pretty hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

mr.capps posted:

Thing is, those people are typically poo poo at those games and all board games. Its pretty hilarious

I'm dumb as gently caress and poo poo at all board games. What now?! :jerry:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Scrabble is more of a game about making use of the scoring bonuses and memorizing a list of a few 2 and 3 letter words than about getting the word kwyjibo down tbh.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Oldstench posted:

I'm dumb as gently caress and poo poo at all board games. What now?! :jerry:

games of chance my friend! luck favors the fool!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SlyFrog posted:

Also, no joke, this is why I do not like games that are pretty much pure word/puzzle games like this. I feel like they're always a quiet test to see who is the most NPR-listening, high SAT scoring, "lol I'm not in Mensa, Mensa is only the top 2%, I'm far better than that," sniffing person in the room.

I had to suffer through bridge and Scrabble games with my in-laws/extended family that always felt slightly like extended tests of whether you were smart enough, or at least did not fall below the minimal threshold for being clever enough, to be in the family. Of course they never admitted this, but I felt it nonetheless.

Yes, I have problems.

I feel this way about Trivial Pursuit.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

Let's be honest - it is.

also idk if that is true. I do better in codenames than friends of mine that would blow my SAT out of the water because they aren't good at figuring out what their teammates would know. Codenames is a game about connecting with people that convinces you that you're smart for being empathic.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
As someone who likes trivia, Trivial Pursuit is a pretty lovely trivia game.

Are there actually any good trivia board games?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

mr.capps posted:

Wits & Wagers

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mr.capps posted:

Timeline.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Foehammer posted:

Wits & Wagers

I like Wits & Wagers but it would be also cool if there was a gamey trivia game that was more trivia oriented.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'm a fan of Bezzerwezzer.

I'm looking at making a purchase here soon. I am for sure picking up King of New York. Does anyone have opinions on the following?

Time stories
Elysium
Libertaria
The grizzled
Champions of Midgard
The big book of madness

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Shadow225 posted:

Time stories
Champions of Midgard

Bad

Shadow225 posted:

Libertarlia

Good

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't buy or play TIME Stories.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Shadow225 posted:

Time stories

GARBAGE

Shadow225 posted:

Champions of Midgard

Decent until you realize you spent many many turns building up to a combat then you roll poorly and it was all a waste. Dice chucking combat at it's worst.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Would you mind giving a short blurb? I'll trust the opinion myself, but a friend was asking me about Time and Libertalia specifically

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Shadow225 posted:

I'm looking at making a purchase here soon. I am for sure picking up King of New York. Does anyone have opinions on the following?

Time stories
Elysium
Libertaria
The grizzled
Champions of Midgard
The big book of madness

Elysium is interesting, but I need a few more plays to figure out if it's actually good. It's not a hard game at all to learn and play, and at this moment I'd probably prefer it over 7 Wonders as far as drafting set games are concerned. There are a couple of quirks to it that I can discuss further, but it's at least an interesting design and I don't think it's actually BAD, but there's a nagging feeling about it that makes me think there's a deep flaw in there somewhere. The insert is loving aces though.

Libertalia is a good game, although I can't think of a game to compare it to. But assuming nobody has some severe AP, it's a game that plays quickly and scales well and is full of bullshit moments that are more fun than frustrating, mostly because you can see them coming a mile away and yet you did nothing to stop it, you fool. Lot of variety too if you don't get bored of the mechanics.

Big Book of Madness is a co-op deckbuilder. I'm generally averse to deckbuilders and co-op games, so this sorta fell flat on me. I don't think it was really any more offensive than either games of its type, but since it's a co-op game, someone can do some pretty insane quarterbacking, especially if they start mathing out the deckbuilding aspect of it. It's probably worse in the QBing aspect than most, since you need to coordinate a lot. Also the cards are loving tiny, so that's really unfortunate for a game where you do nothing but handle cards. They're probably about the same size as the Asset cards in Arkham/Eldritch or the ability cards in Chaos in the Old World. It's really, really unfortunate.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Even if you wanted to get more expansions, On The Brink should still be your first pick. Beyond what was previously mentioned, there's an optional bioterrorist cat-and-mouse game you can play too. But beyond the mechanics, the expansion is laid out so you can put all the original game material inside and just use that box. It has stacking peetri dishes for the disease cubes and slots for everything else. For what it matters, the expansion becomes the new Pandemic.

Now I feel positive about ordering the expansion.

Thanks

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Libertalia is an excellent bluffing game with a unique mechanic: everyone gets identical cards each round, but you only use 6 of the 9 per round, and 3 carry over. On the 2nd and 3rd round, you are all given an identical set of 6 more cards.

Card values determine the order in which you can take loot from a community pool (some loot is bad), and each card has a unique interactive effect. By the final round it gets a bit :spergin: trying to remember who has what card left from the original deal, and the "showdown" portion of each phase is always entertaining. The actual grouping of cards that everyone plays with will vary from game to game.

Time Stories is a $30 choose your own adventure book with dice rolls. You can play it exactly once, much like Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective (which has 10 cases, instead of the 1 offered by T.I.M.E.). I suspect quality will vary depending on who works on the writing for the individual expansion modules. Maybe worth it if you have a gaming group that loves narrative deduction and dice chucking, but for that price you could get Above & Below which, while not without flaws, is a better game.

edit: Above & Below may not be the best comparison, it was just the first narrative game at the same price point I could think of.
edit2: English made gooder

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 14, 2016

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

The responses have been great thus far. Very helpful. Thanks thread, and keep them coming.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Impermanent posted:

Scrabble is more of a game about making use of the scoring bonuses and memorizing a list of a few 2 and 3 letter words than about getting the word kwyjibo down tbh.

I recommend the documentary Word Wars, which demonstrates that quite a few competitive Scrabble players are dumb as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL4UfA6wUuw

Also, I don't enjoy Wits & Wagers because date/number proximity is my least favorite kind of trivia question.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Foehammer posted:

Libertalia is an excellent bluffing game with a unique mechanic: everyone gets identical cards each round, but you only use 6 of the 9 per round, and 3 carry over. On the 2nd and 3rd round, you are all given an identical set of 6 more cards.

Card values determine the order in which you can take loot from a community pool (some loot is bad), and each card has a unique interactive effect. By the final round it gets a bit :spergin: trying to remember who has what card left from the original deal, and the "showdown" portion of each phase is always entertaining. The actual grouping of cards that everyone plays with will vary from game to game.

Time Stories is a $30 choose your own adventure book with dice rolls. You can play it exactly once, much like Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective (which has 10 cases, instead of the 1 offered by T.I.M.E.). I suspect quality will vary depending on who works on the writing for the individual expansion modules. Maybe worth it if you have a gaming group that loves narrative deduction and dice chucking, but for that price you could get Above & Below which, while not without flaws, is a better game.

Speaking of gaming groups: I've got a bunch of friends that have been meeting up about once a week but the numbers keep climbing and we're up to about 6-8 regularly and the options of games at this player count is starting to get a bit stale. Between Resistance and its various iterations and versions, Codenames, Spyfall, ONU Werewolf and the highly-mediocre not-Resistance Secret Hitler, are there any other games that work well with larger group that people would recommend?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mr.capps posted:

All Avalon Hill games will test you on the trivia of the rulebook

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
For 6-8 discerning individuals? Ugg-Tect, if you can manage it. 7 Wonders works up to 7 and it works up to 8 if you add Cities. I've heard good things about (but haven't personally confirmed the quality of) Space Cadets: Dice Duel. Pictomania is great at 6. Dixit: Odyssey goes up to 12, and is compatible with other Dixit sets. I'd recommend Ca$h 'N Gun$ 1st Edition but it's nearly impossible to find, you'd have to proxy it, and it only goes up to 6. Click Clack Lumberjack.

Really, though, you're at a great point to just split up into 2 groups. There are plenty of 3-player games and 4-player games for those moments when your group wants something meatier, and they'd likely be quicker than doing an 8-player strategy game. Note how the majority of my recommendations are lighter-weighted games.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

T-Bone posted:

I like Wits & Wagers but it would be also cool if there was a gamey trivia game that was more trivia oriented.

We played a more recent version of Trivial Pursuit at a party, it had a few changes including something improved about categories and difficulties but more significantly it incorporated a betting mechanic where each other team can wager - after hearing the category (and possibly the question, don't remember exactly) - whether you'll get it right or wrong. You can buy pie slices with the money.

I thought it was improvements all around.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Space Cadets: Dice Duel is indeed fun on a bun, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. But it should be noted that I'm incredibly biased toward team games.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mister Sinewave posted:

We played a more recent version of Trivial Pursuit at a party, it had a few changes including something improved about categories and difficulties but more significantly it incorporated a betting mechanic where each other team can wager - after hearing the category (and possibly the question, don't remember exactly) - whether you'll get it right or wrong. You can buy pie slices with the money.

I thought it was improvements all around.

That sounds cool, I'll have to check it out as there are definitely a few trivia nerds in my group.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

Speaking of gaming groups: I've got a bunch of friends that have been meeting up about once a week but the numbers keep climbing and we're up to about 6-8 regularly and the options of games at this player count is starting to get a bit stale. Between Resistance and its various iterations and versions, Codenames, Spyfall, ONU Werewolf and the highly-mediocre not-Resistance Secret Hitler, are there any other games that work well with larger group that people would recommend?

7 Wonders and Steampunk Rally come to mind, they're "meatier" games compared to what you've been playing, and have simultaneous gameplay so games are only as slow as your slowest player.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Panic on Wall Street is great with large numbers of players too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FulsomFrank posted:

Internal Affairs, in the unlikely event that you can find it anywhere but Capstone's own website. Video description including full rules.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

quote:

7 Wonders
Space Cadets: DIce Duel
Dixit
Ugg-Tect
Pictomania
Steampunk Rally
Internal Affairs
Panic on Wall St
Cash and Guns (1st Ed)
Click Clack Lumberjack

Great suggestions, thanks.

I've been trying to find a copy of Panic on Wall St forever. As far as I know it's impossible to get without paying an arm and a leg for it but drat if I don't like the theme and mechanics.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bridge is a fantastic game. Aside from the fact that if you get lost in the bidding/don't know your opponents arcane conventions, you get to ask what it means. Why even bother having the bidding conventions then???

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Shadow225 posted:

Time stories
Elysium
Libertaria
The grizzled
Champions of Midgard
The big book of madness

Elysium and Libertalia are the best games you listed. I think Elysium is better. It's also heavier.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Countblanc posted:

Space Cadets: Dice Duel is indeed fun on a bun, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. But it should be noted that I'm incredibly biased toward team games.

This was a complete dud in my group and I traded it away out of spite. If your group contains people that hate real-time games and/or think dice hate them, this game is not for you. Otherwise it's awesome though.

Now that the thread is in Q&A mode, I have a question too: has anyone played Xenon Profiteer? I discovered its existence today and it sounds good. I have a buddy who's a chemist who will probably like that the game contains mechanics that mimic actual real life chemistry, and he loves Dominion. Also it seems like it's hard to find, only 2 entries currently on the BGG market, but as it happens one of those is 35€ shipped. So all signs point to yes, I just need a goon opinion on the gameplay.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

theroachman posted:

This was a complete dud in my group and I traded it away out of spite. If your group contains people that hate real-time games and/or think dice hate them, this game is not for you. Otherwise it's awesome though.

Now that the thread is in Q&A mode, I have a question too: has anyone played Xenon Profiteer? I discovered its existence today and it sounds good. I have a buddy who's a chemist who will probably like that the game contains mechanics that mimic actual real life chemistry, and he loves Dominion. Also it seems like it's hard to find, only 2 entries currently on the BGG market, but as it happens one of those is 35€ shipped. So all signs point to yes, I just need a goon opinion on the gameplay.

I'd be interested in any impressions as well. The only concern I have for the game is longevity, since it doesn't look like there's a lot of game to game variance.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brown Moses posted:

After receiving Betrayal at House on the Hill at Christmas my family is rather addicted to boardgames, and I'm looking for one that'll fit a very specific set of circumstances. I've got family members who don't speak the same language as me, so I'm looking for a board or card game where the language barrier won't be an issue. One person can translate, but they won't want to spend hours translating intricate rules. I was looking at some games, and it seems Dixit might fit the bill, what does everyone think?

Sushi Go! is a favorite beginner game, and has its scoring rules conveyed through numbers and algebraic symbols on the cards.

Camel Up is a very fun family / party game, and indicates all of the scoring through colors, icons, and numbers.

I disagree with Dixit / Mysterium, since there's hidden information, and having a translator means that they wouldn't be able to play.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Jedit posted:

Internal Affairs, in the unlikely event that you can find it anywhere but Capstone's own website. Video description including full rules.

This one is pretty fun. It will be more widely available later in the year.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I've always wondered what's happening with bridge and new technology. Seems really really easy to cheat now, both online and off.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

:getin:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lorini posted:

I've always wondered what's happening with bridge and new technology. Seems really really easy to cheat now, both online and off.

Somewhat. I mean, sure, online, but in person they do a whole lot of crap to make sure high level tournaments are cheat-free.

Like, you don't get to see your partner during the bidding at all, you use bidding cards, it's pretty locked down.

But yeah, online, I'd imagine if you really want to cheat you can. On the other hand, if you bid in such a way that is against your stated conventions, you could probably get reported and enough times get banned or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

Patchwork has been loads of fun for me and my wife, it kinda has a puzzle angle and plays in a short time. Every game had been very different. There are not a lot of components but they and their actions all depend on and affect each other.

Plus there is a gear shift element where the things most useful things early in the game are less useful later. All good games incorporate some kind of shift like this imo.

Best 30$ recently spent. I even got a win last night without snagging the 7x7 bonus tile. First time that's happened :frogc00l:

We had a couple of friends over and they went out and bought their own copy after trying ours. It's easy to see why it's a big hit - basically the same qualities of that party game that shall not be named (rip alan) except for 2 player strategy.