Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm pretty sure Alberta was always surprisingly ahead of the curve on gay rights, at least back in the 70s and 80s.

I'm impressed there's four points in there about trans inclusion and then they're still only offering gay-straight alliances. Well, okay, you got part of the message Alberta and DIDNT THINK ABOUT IT AT ALL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

flakeloaf posted:

The JP should've known that, good grief.

On the other hand, it's Peel, so...

How many simple names -> criminal records matches you would get in that sampling of 40,000 people would you reckon?

Too many to be useful or a small enough number to give you somewhere to start?

I think it's way too wide a net to be allowed to cast, but curious if it might have worked.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Arivia posted:

I'm impressed there's four points in there about trans inclusion and then they're still only offering gay-straight alliances. Well, okay, you got part of the message Alberta and DIDNT THINK ABOUT IT AT ALL.

Do other provinces already do numbers 1 through 4?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Arivia posted:

Can't trans people join the gay-straight alliance? One thing is your self-identified gender and the other is your sexual preference right? Another article says the students can name it whatever they want so I guess my question is what else would you like to see them offer on top of that?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Trans people can absolutely join GSAs, I'm pretty sure anyone can, they are inclusive groups...

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

THC posted:

Uh, what? Everyone knows renewables are a non-starter. BC's future is in Clean LNG, a million Clean LNG jobs by 2025. Clean LNG is the path to our gas future. Clean gas jobs forever and ever. All hundred years. Clean LNG dot com. Please buy our gas?

The world is full of idiots who don't understand what's important, and they'll tear us apart, Christy. But if ya stick with me, I'm gonna accomplish great things, Christy, and you're gonna be part of 'em, and together we're gonna run around, Christy. We're gonna... do all kinds of wonderful things, Christy. Just you and me, Christy. The outside world is our enemy, Christy... we're the only... friends we've got, Christy! It's just LNG and Christy. LNG and Christy and their adventures, Christy... LNG AND CHRISTY FOREVER AND FOREVER A HUNDRED YEARS LNG and Christy... some...things... Me and LNG and Christy runnin' around and... LNG and Christy time... a- all day long forever.. all a- a hundred days LNG and Christy! Forever a hundred times... OVER and over LNG and Christy... adventures dot com... W W W dot at LNG and Christy dot com w...w...w... LNG and Christy adventures... a h- hundred years... every minute LNG and Christy dot com... w w w a hundred times... LNG and Christy dot com......

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

de_dust posted:

At this point I don't even understand why Canada even exists, we should just fold and join the USA already.

Being paid in USD sounds p good atm.

(Quiet, Mrs. Moneybags)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Moinkmaster posted:

Now that gay-straight alliances (GSAs) have been made mandatory at any school where students want one, school staff are advised to support the establishment of the support groups whenever students express an interest in creating one.

It's also to be made clear to students that they have this right.

People in positions of authority over school staff members, themselves, are also advised to "anticipate, support and value staff diversity, including diverse sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions."

Staff should also be supported to serve as a liaison for student-organized support groups such as GSAs, according to the guidelines.

This unironically makes me want to cry tears of joy and y'all know I'm a cynical old goat.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Holy gently caress tranny chat makes yearn for hydro chat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Cultural Imperial posted:

Hey, it can't all be about how stupid people are about real estate, can it :shobon:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Butcher posted:

How many simple names -> criminal records matches you would get in that sampling of 40,000 people would you reckon?

Too many to be useful or a small enough number to give you somewhere to start?

I think it's way too wide a net to be allowed to cast, but curious if it might have worked.

A game of What's My CNI would take way too long on that list.

A smarter request would have been for all of the IMEIs that are common to those locations in all three or four or n robberies, which still would've been a lot but at least then you could crosscheck it against the MNI in an afternoon tops.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ikantski posted:

With this and the kudatah thing, I'm so much more annoyed that I'm paying CBC to troll and repost social media. The kudatah guy is a moron but think of the guy who graduated high school, did four years of undergrad to get a journalism degree and now has to sit there refreshing reddit every 10 minutes. Crazy to see them on this international story so fast, it took them 5 days to report the actual attacks on Cologne, http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cologne-sex-attacks-new-year-s-1.3391349
This is just how journalism works now. Being a reporter and going outside doing reporter things, following leads and talking to people is hard. Sitting on your rear end pasting tweets is much more economical.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

THC posted:

This is just how journalism works now. Being a reporter and going outside doing reporter things, following leads and talking to people is hard. Sitting on your rear end pasting tweets is much more economical.

Yet we've even got goons like brown moses sitting on their rear end reading social media and some how actually doing amazing investigative journalism. It can be done, if your job is to be a journalist and not a marketer.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Going by the G&M's "most popular article" list, those kinds of articles, along the with horoscope, and Margaret Wente's column are what people want to read.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Now that most newspapers are basically money sinks the only reason to own one is to trumpet your personal opinions, so owners are a lot more aggressive about pushing a message.

We're also a society of children. Compare popular and influential movies in the 1970s, like The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, Network, or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest with the biggest box office hits of today: i.e. Star Wars, Super Heros, etc. i.e. films for children.

Same with books. Way fewer people actually read, and even worse a lot of what's ready is also meant for children. According to one survey I saw 55% of the people reading Young Adult literature like "The Hunger Games" are actually adults.

Also, without getting too much into my personal experiences but I definitely have the impression that student writing is way worse than it was a few years ago. Young people don't read and therefore don't understand how to write, which I think is crucial to developing critical thinking.

So while a lot of our problems come down to media ownership I have to say that it's not terribly surprising that people are so easily swayed by corporate propaganda when our entire culture is obsessed with children's stories.

Arivia posted:

What would the better option have been?

Easy there slugger, you've got an entire thread dedicated to nothing but masturbating over the plight of Canada's over-leveraged middle class. I know it's not easy hearing that someone somewhere is being told not to completely hate themselves but don't worry, in a couple decades they'll probably be underwater on a phone bill or a credit card or an auto loan and then you can rest easy in the knowledge that humans everywhere were born to suffer.

Dreylad posted:

Going by the G&M's "most popular article" list, those kinds of articles, along the with horoscope, and Margaret Wente's column are what people want to read.

Don't forget articles on jogging.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

Compare popular and influential movies in the 1970s, like The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, Network, or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest with the biggest box office hits of today: i.e. Star Wars,

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Yes the original Star Wars came out in the late 1970s but that's kind of the point: it was a significant break from what had come before, and along with Jaws it dramatically changed the way Hollywood functioned.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Top 12 movie grosses of all time:

Fantasy 3D spectacle with blue people
Love story and also there was a boat
Children's movie about space wizards
Dinosaur movie sequel
Comic book movie about a superhero team
Cars go really fast even after a guy died
Comic book movie about that superhero team and a bad robot
Children's movie about a nice wizard
Children's movie about an ice wizard
Comic book movie about the cool guy from the superhero team
Children's movie about cycloptic twinkies
Idiot's movie about exploding robots

We can still appreciate excellence, but Ow My Balls will pack more people into the stands.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 14, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Does it matter if adults are reading "young adult" fiction, though, especially if it's even slightly well-written? If anything, it's taking the place of mass-market stuff like Clive Cussler and all that sort of stuff, so I really doubt it's taking the place of great works of literature that people would otherwise be reading. It's better that people read something rather than nothing, frankly.

As for films, I think you're discounting the influence of readily available home media, as well as the advent of high definition big-screen TVs. Going to the cinema is no longer necessary in order to enjoy great films, so it ends up being the province of people with nothing better to do, or it favours movies which benefit particularly from being seen on the big screen. Why would I spend the time to go to the cinema, order lovely food, buy expensive tickets, and not be able to drink for three hours, all while sitting in a crowded room with a bunch of strangers, when I can sit on my couch eating my good food and drinking a nice glass of wine or beer while watching the same thing a few months later? To build on that, TV shows and miniseries are definitely crowding in on the market for "serious" visual entertainment in a way they never, ever did in the 70s.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Normally it is the olds complaining about the kids these days, with their rock and rolls and pokemons.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

it favours movies which benefit particularly from being seen on the big screen.

Avatar was somehow the highest-selling blu-ray disc of all time, even though the reaction among everyone I knew who saw the ads to buy it was "Why?".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

Avatar was somehow the highest-selling blu-ray disc of all time, even though the reaction among everyone I knew who saw the ads to buy it was "Why?".

Because a bunch of people just bought new HDTVs with their first blu-ray players and wanted something visually impressive to show it off with.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Don't forget 3D TVs

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I think the internet has been one of the biggest reasons for art to shift away from its political and current events influences. Back in the 60s you could still put your life in jeopardy by calling out people as being racist in the USA, you could be jailed or killed for protesting various wars, but you could portray those feelings and commentary in your arts. The original Star Trek is ridiculously political in nature based on what was going on in the world at the time. These days you can blog, tweet, put videos on youtube or post on a comedy message board without those repercussions. No need to hide it. :shobon:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You loving nerds act like everyone watched battlestar Galactica for the special effects

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I was watching for the rad plot-driving guitar solos

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Helsing you're normally a good poster but you're heading down a really dumb "kids these days" :bahgawd: road

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

In today's installment of "OH MY GOD ALBERTA WHY CAN'T YOU STOP BEING SO lovely?", local bishop Fred Henry makes a compelling case for how supporters of equality are the real bigots:

http://www.calgarydiocese.ca/messages-from-the-bishop/1367-pastoral-letter.html

Can we stop pretending that religion isn't poo poo now?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

In today's installment of "OH MY GOD ALBERTA WHY CAN'T YOU STOP BEING SO lovely?", local bishop Fred Henry makes a compelling case for how supporters of equality are the real bigots:

http://www.calgarydiocese.ca/messages-from-the-bishop/1367-pastoral-letter.html

Can we stop pretending that religion isn't poo poo now?

Please stop posting these horrible Alberta things. My new years resolution was to be a more positive person, and that included looking for the silver linings in that province. :smith:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

Also, without getting too much into my personal experiences but I definitely have the impression that student writing is way worse than it was a few years ago. Young people don't read and therefore don't understand how to write, which I think is crucial to developing critical thinking.

Writing well is a perennial problem. An essay often used in high school to talk about good writing, Orwell's "Politics and the English Language," talks about the same problems we have today: poor syntax, unclear thinking, "pomo"-style writing. It was published in 1946.

I think the disturbing tendency in high schools not to hold kids back is a big problem, and it means that universities become the first time students are graded harshly for how they write. More than half the classes I taught ended up needing a heavy dose of Strunkel and White (and then a trip to the writing centre if need be) to get students to think about how they write. And to get them editing, god they needed to learn to edit so very much.

The Internet is going to change how we write, whether we like it or not.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's horrendous that the loving wombles that have been running Alberta allowed the Heritage fund to wither and starve over the decades.

When you look at Norway, it's an outrage that there aren't tens of billions in there, let alone the 700-whatever billion the Norwegians have.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

El Scotch posted:

It's horrendous that the loving wombles that have been running Alberta allowed the Heritage fund to wither and starve over the decades.

When you look at Norway, it's an outrage that there aren't tens of billions in there, let alone the 700-whatever billion the Norwegians have.

Nuh uh I read an article about how Norway's fund is actually a huge disaster for them and Alberta was the smarter of the two!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

leftist heap posted:

Helsing you're normally a good poster but you're heading down a really dumb "kids these days" :bahgawd: road

For the record I'm one of those kids, insofar as I consume the same nerdy entertainment crap as everyone else on these forums. Besides which if I didn't at least occasionally have people telling me I'm an idiot then there'd be no point posting on these forums. The entire appeal of an anonymous discussion board, at least to me, is that I can spout off on whatever idle thoughts pass through my head and actually get candid reactions. If I"m not getting called out for being an idiot from time to time then I'm obviously not taking enough risks.

I do think, however, that it's foolish to think that the stories we consume as a culture don't influence our politics. And I'd emphasize that I'm bitching less about the consumers of media and more about the increasing concentration of media ownership. That, plus the general stressfulness of modern life probably explain why escapist or childish media have such a huge appeal to adults.

Rather than draw out this discussion I'll just drop off a few links and encourage people to read and form their own conclusions.

--Here's a short academic write up on postmodernism and the infantilization of culture.

--Simon Pegg, who ought to have some nerd cred of his own, making an almost identical complaint to mine about Hollywood (down to name checking many of the same franchises).

--Someone bitching about the rise of Young Adult literature reading among adults.

Dreylad posted:

Writing well is a perennial problem. An essay often used in high school to talk about good writing, Orwell's "Politics and the English Language," talks about the same problems we have today: poor syntax, unclear thinking, "pomo"-style writing. It was published in 1946.

I think the disturbing tendency in high schools not to hold kids back is a big problem, and it means that universities become the first time students are graded harshly for how they write. More than half the classes I taught ended up needing a heavy dose of Strunkel and White (and then a trip to the writing centre if need be) to get students to think about how they write. And to get them editing, god they needed to learn to edit so very much.

The Internet is going to change how we write, whether we like it or not.

I guess this makes me sound even more like a crotchety old man but the way movies are created under the guidance of money grubbing executive producers really calls to mind how in 1984 Winston Smith's department would assemble machine-written pulp novels for the Proles to consume. It's the decentralized imperatives of the Allmighty dollar rather than some nefarious Big Brother pulling the strings but the output doesn't seem all that markedly different.

Anyway, speaking to your lager point: I agree very strongly that High School is a big part of the problem but I would place the emphasis on our refusal to invest sufficiently in education and our tendency to structure education in a way that makes learning much more tedious and boring than it should be.

Our over crowded and underfunded public education system can't entirely decide what it wants to be. The early model for our education system was intended to train students for factory life: you show up on time, change positions to the sound of a bell, learn to obey petty authority and to suppress your natural desire to go run around outside.

Since then we've tried to change the system to encourage creativity and learning and critical thinking but the original intention of the people who designed the school system was to breed docility not creativity. And a general lack of interest in actually paying for good universal education, plus the strong bureaucratic bias toward continuity rather than radical change, makes it very hard to imagine how the school system could easily be fixed.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I bet you literally hang out in adult daycares on weekends for people with a diaper fetish

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

El Scotch posted:

You know the bitterly ironic thing about the Heritage Fund was that when it was first set up, the Norwegians came to us and studied it in depth to use as the model for their fund.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Back in the 70s, the top coloring books for adults were sophisticated and intellectual. Now they're just all pop culture and secret gardens.

quote:

The bestselling title on Amazon in the US right now is not Harper Lee’s hugely anticipated second novel, Go Set a Watchman, or George RR Martin’s Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series, or even Zoella’s much-mocked but much-bought young adult hit, Girl Online. Instead, Scottish illustrator Johanna Basford is topping the charts, with her colouring books for adults taking top spots on Amazon.com’s bestseller lists.

Edit: 4 in the top 12 US books on amazon are adult coloring books, http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-books-Amazon/zgbs/books/ref=zg_bs_nav_0

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Like all you loving manchildren in this thread don't play video games for at least 50% of your waking hours

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Helsing if you havnt already, read The Euphio Question by Kurt Vonnegut.

Like all you loving manchildren in this thread don't play video games for at least 50% of your waking hours

Only 30%! :v:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I bet you literally hang out in adult daycares on weekends for people with a diaper fetish

Don't kinkshame me bro.

Ikantski posted:

Back in the 70s, the top coloring books for adults were sophisticated and intellectual. Now they're just all pop culture and secret gardens.

Edit: 4 in the top 12 US books on amazon are adult coloring books, http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-books-Amazon/zgbs/books/ref=zg_bs_nav_0

Please note how this vintage colour booking teaches you children revolutionary discipline and solidarity with the working class: :ussr:

compare that with this modern colouring book:

Teaching children monarchism, supernaturalism and inculcating a desire for childish escape that will ensure this child grows up to be a slave of international capital.

Open your eyes sheeple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Helsing posted:

Open your eyes sheeple!

Are you sure you read adult novels? This screams of being a facebook comment scholar.