Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The other thing to note is that the IRS is covered by US law, and they will poo poo all over you and put you away for a long time if you commit tax fraud. You don't mess with the IRS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
So I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on Ontario's proposed ORPP. Noticed a thread about it on Reddit, but to be honest, they all seemed clueless on it.

http://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-retirement-pension-plan

Here is some information I've gathered so far:

Employer contributes 1.9% of your pretax wage.
You have to contribute 1.9% pretax wage.
First $3,500 exempt, up to $90,000. Max $1,643.50 contribution each.
Exemption is for all wages, so working two part time jobs at 3k a year each, 6k total, is still exempt.
EI premiums are being reduced to offset this.
Assuming you made 90K a year for 40 years, contributed, and retired at 65, it would pay out a benefit of $12,815 a year until you die.
The benefit will be inflation adjusted
You can begin receiving benefits as early as 60, and as late as 70.
If already have a DC or DB pension plan through work that is comparable or better than ORPP, you are exempt from it.
If you're self employed, exempt. They plan to work on changing this though.
Money will be handled by an ORPP Advisory Corporation, held in a trust, and not usable as general income to the provincial government.

I do have some questions though that I have not found an answer to:

Will the minimum and max wage values be inflation adjusted?
How much are EI premiums being reduced compared to the cost of ORPP?
Which inflation tracker are they using to adjust benefit payments?
Are contributions tax deductible? (Likely)
Are benefits considered taxable income? (Likely)
Exact math to determine benefit payouts?
How many cushy jobs at the top of the ORPP Advisory corporation will be friends, donors of the politicians pursuing this?

In punching some numbers, higher averages on returns makes personal investment better. While higher inflation, and how it is handled in the contribution phase, makes the ORPP better in the long run.

Overall, I think they have a chance for this not to be terrible. But I'm not holding my breath. Anyone else from Ontario had a look into this?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Given that it's an Ontario thing, it'll inevitably be a huge loving boondoggle. I don't think it merits any further analysis than that.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Golluk posted:

If already have a DC or DB pension plan through work that is comparable or better than ORPP, you are exempt from it.

That's not true, the private plan has to be much better to be exempt. They also said they want to use it to invest in Ontario infrastructure in the 2014 budget. Plus what Lexicon said.

quote:

In particular, some companies with defined-contribution (DC) pension plans may not qualify. DC plans operate like personal savings accounts, with payouts varying depending on the success of the investments. The government says it will only exempt DC plans if they have a minimum annual contribution rate equal to 8 per cent of employee pay, and if the employer matches at least half of all employee contributions.

quote:

For the ORPP, there is conflicting information in the Ontario Liberal platform. The platform says both “the ORPP will be publicly administered at arm’s length from government” and that “the ORPP will be able to invest the premiums it collects in Ontario businesses and infrastructure.” These seem to be in conflict.

For the ORPP to be independent and have an investment mandate like the CPP, it is not possible to promise the ORPP will invest in Ontario businesses and infrastructure. Any appearance of a relaxation of independence should be monitored with vigilance.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

I work for an Ontario company and have withholdings as if I were an Ontario resident but I actually file as a BC resident. Am I going to have to pay into ORPP? Will I be eligible to collect it?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Also the whole thing might get scraped if the Federal governments agrees to raise the CPP rate, maybe no one knows.

You also don't pay into if your company has a pension plan

sbaldrick fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 6, 2016

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I hate RBC so much. I had a GIC mature with them on the 1st. It took until the 5th for that money to actually appear as cash instead of a GIC. Then they deposited in to some weird investment savings account instead of my chequing as directed but transferring it from that dumb account to my chequing then took another day despite it being internal.

Someone tell RBC we don't bank by snail mail over the course of days anymore. At Tangerine or any other modern bank this all could have been done in a couple minutes.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

lol internet. posted:

Some questions about work RRSP program (Great West Life)

1. I assume, I can't somehow take this money out and transfer it into an stock brokerage account where I can manage it myself I guess?

2. Would it be a good idea to take out my current investments which are USD based and put them into CAD based investments now until the exchange rate stops being poo poo, then re-invest it back into USD then? I am 30 so I won't be needing these funds anytime soon.
Re #1:
I was in a similar situation. My employer did a trivial amount of matching, so I wanted to take their money, but after that it was locked into a lacklustre investment product. You're going to have to read the fine print to see when you can get at it and if any fees are involved. I think I recall being able to request the balance of the previous year's contributions after a year or something like that. I ended up being able to use the HBP to bypass their dumb rules and cash it out, but that's not an everyday opportunity.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Lexicon posted:

Given that it's an Ontario thing, it'll inevitably be a huge loving boondoggle. I don't think it merits any further analysis than that.

I sadly expect you to be right... I just came across this report by "The Conference Board of Canada", funded by the Ontario Ministry of Finance.

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/pension/orpp/orpp-cb-analysis.html

Worst thing for me, is they expect it to lower RRSP contribution room. And it's already impossible for me to make full use of my employer contributions due to limits (I'd need 29k contribution room each year, max is 25k).

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Ahaha man gently caress Ontario. Enjoy your bullshit regressive tax you illiterates, I hope your stupid province implodes after manufacturing disappears completely and anyone with talent becomes an expat.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I thought this was funny. I've had a positive balance of $0.03 for a year on my CIBC no-fee VISA because I haven't used it since I received $0.03 as cash back.

CIBC clawed it back today:

Banks love it when you owe them money. Not so much in reverse.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I had the opposite happen with TD. Used a card I normally don't to pay for parking, and when the statement came in it showed the balance but said nothing was due. Same the next month. And the next. And the following month they basically said, you know what, don't worry about it, and cleared the balance.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I have three credit cards with 0% credit usage (I only use my tangerine mastercard for everything). Should I close my MBNA smart cash mastercard and RBC VISA gold rewards now or just leave them open?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

cowofwar posted:

I have three credit cards with 0% credit usage (I only use my tangerine mastercard for everything). Should I close my MBNA smart cash mastercard and RBC VISA gold rewards now or just leave them open?

There's an argument for keeping (and using! at least occasionally) your oldest card, but otherwise get rid of the ones you don't need. Don't overthink the impact on MUH CREDIT SCORE.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lexicon posted:

sbaldrick posted:

Also the whole thing might get scraped if the Federal governments agrees to raise the CPP rate, maybe no one knows.

You also don't pay into if your company has a pension plan

Most of the big ontario pension plans have lent their expertise in designing the thing, and they're all competent and successful for the most part.

The problem is that ORPP was put into action because the federal government wasn't going to expand CPP, which it desperately needs. Now the new federal government says they want to expand CPP so there's technically no need for ORPP but they're still going ahead with it. :shrug:

CPP wasn't brilliantly implemented either but it worked out. The fact that anti-pension nutbags have gotten everyone thinking that pension contributions are a tax is pretty sad though. Pension law is by design insanely complicated and it means a lot of people don't really understand how they're managed or even how they work.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Dreylad posted:

The fact that anti-pension nutbags have gotten everyone thinking that pension contributions are a tax is pretty sad though.

I'm a nutbag, explain to me how mandatory defined benefit pension contributions aren't a tax? It's a tax demanded by the government for a specific facility. You pay $x and you get roads, you pay $y and you get food inspection, you pay $z and you get some monthly bingo cash when you're old.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Even if it magically turned out to be a solvent, well thought out and not regressive plan that couldn't be used as a short term bailout fund, it would still be managed by the ontario loving liberals. I wouldn't trust the OLP to die properly if they're ever (deservedly) lined up against the wall.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Guest2553 posted:

Even if it magically turned out to be a solvent, well thought out and not regressive plan that couldn't be used as a short term bailout fund, it would still be managed by the ontario loving liberals. I wouldn't trust the OLP to die properly if they're ever (deservedly) lined up against the wall.

By law it cannot be any of those things, even the last part that you think is true.

I get that it's not a popular policy in this thread, people here are informed and motivated investors, but there is a lot of misinformation out there (which is partly on the OLP).

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The market is making my cash holdings look so good right now

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Works for me. I'm tossing more in this month for company matching. I like stock sales.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ikantski posted:

I'm a nutbag, explain to me how mandatory defined benefit pension contributions aren't a tax? It's a tax demanded by the government for a specific facility. You pay $x and you get roads, you pay $y and you get food inspection, you pay $z and you get some monthly bingo cash when you're old.

It's basically an attempt to make sure you don't starve to death on the loving street when you're old. It's that loving hard to understand.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

jm20 posted:

The market is making my cash holdings look so good right now

Ditto. I was waiting until March in any event to see if CIBC would repeat their month-long no-trading-fees-on-ETFs deal that they had last year, and so far it has been working in my favor.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

sbaldrick posted:

It's basically an attempt to make sure you don't starve to death on the loving street when you're old. It's that loving hard to understand.

What you described sounds like a social safety net. Taxes pay for social safety nets all the time and people are ok with that. I don't get what you have to gain from pretending it's not a tax.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Dollar below 70 cents US.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

the talent deficit posted:

I work for an Ontario company and have withholdings as if I were an Ontario resident but I actually file as a BC resident. Am I going to have to pay into ORPP? Will I be eligible to collect it?

If you are resident in BC then your company is doing your payroll wrong and if they deduct Ontario taxes and other wage-based rates you will get it refunded on your tax return. You should get them to fix this as it could result in both you having to pay instalments and then having to pay penalties if it results in underpayment if your taxes.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Here's a dumb question. I own some shares of a cable company worth less than $1500. They were purchased when I was an employee back in the day.

If I wanted to sell these, how would I go about doing that?
All I know is that I get a quarterly statement from CST Trust Company telling me that my tiny dividends are being used to buy fractions of more shares.

Tarandis
Jun 16, 2012
Another dumb question. I log into CRA and see X for RRSP contribution room. Can I put X into my RRSP, or can I only put in X minus my total RPP contributions for this year? If the latter, that means I wait until I get that tax form from my employer, correct?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My 2015 RRSP deduction limit is:
My 2015 RRSP contributions during the 2015 calendar year are:
My total RRSP contributions during the first 60 days of 2016 are:

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Tarandis posted:

Another dumb question. I log into CRA and see X for RRSP contribution room. Can I put X into my RRSP, or can I only put in X minus my total RPP contributions for this year? If the latter, that means I wait until I get that tax form from my employer, correct?

I believe RPP contributions only effect your RRSP contribution room for the following year - that is, it will be reduced based on your previous year's RPP contributions.

My 2015 RRSP contribution room was calculated as such:

Contribution Room = $12,046.00
Minus: 2014 pension adjustment − $7,801.00
Minus: 2015 prescribed amount for connected persons − $0.00
Additional deduction limit based on 2014 * = $4,245.00

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 14, 2016

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I believe RPP contributions only effect your RRSP contribution room for the following year - that is, it will be reduced based on your previous year's RPP contributions.

My 2015 RRSP contribution room was calculated as such:

Contribution Room = $12,046.00
Minus: 2014 pension adjustment − $7,801.00
Minus: 2015 prescribed amount for connected persons − $0.00
Additional deduction limit based on 2014 * = $4,245.00

This is correct. The pension adjustment affects your contribution room for the next calendar year.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I have a couple of dumb questions. Are RRSP limits cumulative like TFSA?

And does anyone with td know if you can move money into the td rrsp with out automatically allocating it to funds? I'm trying to move money into my existing account so I can transfer it to questrade without paying fees, but don't want to have to actually buy funds and wait the 90 days before I can sell the e-funds.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Demon_Corsair posted:

I have a couple of dumb questions. Are RRSP limits cumulative like TFSA?

Yes. Every year 18% of your earned income up to a maximum ($24,930 for 2015) is added to your contribution room. The contribution room does not expire.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Also you can contribute in one tax year but defer claiming it on your taxes.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
Hey, my girlfriend and I are going to the states in April and she's worried that the exchange rate is going to get even worse. I'm sceptical. I have 2000 that I can either exchange now or invest. What would be a better bet?

Side question: How much cash do you guys keep in your chequeing account?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Don't invest the money in anything more than a HI(lol)SA if you need it in 3 months jesus.

And yeah it's probably going to get worse. I'd change it over now if I were in your position.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

Hey, my girlfriend and I are going to the states in April and she's worried that the exchange rate is going to get even worse. I'm sceptical. I have 2000 that I can either exchange now or invest. What would be a better bet?

No one is going to be able to answer this for you at anything other than a guess

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

We can make some pretty informed guesses though :v: I'd exchange now myself but if the $100 difference a 5 cent change would cause is enough to make or break a trip then there are probably greater concerns.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
Does anyone here using TD have any preferences for using US TFSA or CAD TFSA? I have about $40,000 CAD I'd like to build a Vanguard portfolio with (was previously using e-series) and am a bit unsure of whether I should be exposing myself to Forex risk.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Hold it all in CAD to avoid transaction costs. If you want exposure buy the unhedged versions of funds, if you don't want exposure buy the hedged versions. All in CAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Mantle posted:

Hold it all in CAD to avoid transaction costs. If you want exposure buy the unhedged versions of funds, if you don't want exposure buy the hedged versions. All in CAD.

Does that limit my purchasing options though? I notice that I only have the funds here available: https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individual/etfs/etfs.htm vs https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/vanguard-mutual-funds-list.

I was hoping to capture US REITs somehow - I don't want to touch VRE and would prefer VGSLX.