Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm going to mention this here because I didn't know about it, and maybe some of you don't either. Apparently they did a PC port of the three Castlevania games, Contra and Super contra for the NES onto the PC - I had no idea this existed until late last week. It's still fairly available second-hand, but it's not cheap. I just wanted to mention it in case anyone, like me, didn't know about it and might be interested.
Back when the Commodore Amiga was the only video game machine in my house, I had the port of TMNT from NES. It was obviously coded independently from the NES version (as most ports were those days). As such it reflected the strengths and weaknesses of the platform it was on. In this case, awkward 1-button controls, but a vastly increased color palate and music that took advantage of the Amiga's hardware.

Anyway I recall a pamphlet included in TMNT that advertised the Amiga/MS-DOS versions of the Contra/Castlevania games you mentioned, along with Blades of Steel. I have no firsthand experience of them to offer but - thanks for reminding me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Kaubocks posted:

I'd argue it is the best. I love me the hell out of Super Metroid aesthetically but controls wise it's a bit cludgy these days.

Zero Mission is definitely the tightest and best 2D Metroid. I'd even put Fusion over SM if you get over the "Story??!?! And m-m-muh sequence breaking!" part.

Not sure whether Zero Mission or Prime is better overall, tho

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I played the heck out of Sonic Racing on the PC. Get it if you are tired of Mario Kart 8. It's more of the insane tracks, but with DKR Airplanes instead of clinging to walls. There are a couple of really cool Aerial tracks based on Skies of Arcadia and Afterburner.

I'd say over all that the tracks are... more grounded than Mario Kart 8, but they often have aerial segments, and there are some hella deep cuts in there like Burning Rangers. That Skies of Arcadia track is really cool- a capital ship attacks the track in the middle of the race, and the track has to go fully aerial in the final lap because everything got blown up.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Zero Mission is definitely the tightest and best 2D Metroid. I'd even put Fusion over SM if you get over the "Story??!?! And m-m-muh sequence breaking!" part.

Not sure whether Zero Mission or Prime is better overall, tho

I love all 3 of Fusion/Zero/Super but would rank Fusion a bit lower because most surprises or secrets are being told to you. A lot of people say it's a great game but a poor "Metroid game" which is sort of true but doesn't really matter, still one of my favorite games ever and a great intro to Metroid.

On the subject of sequence breaks, I actually managed to gently caress myself badly in Super Metroid with an unprecedented "sequence break." I somehow got into this room near the Ice Beam wherein you NEED the ice beam to freeze enemies and roll into this space, yet I completely missed the nearby ice beam and instead brute forced my way out with jump-into-ball trial and error for a long-rear end time. After that I realized my idiotic mistake.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

deadly_pudding posted:

I played the heck out of Sonic Racing on the PC. Get it if you are tired of Mario Kart 8. It's more of the insane tracks, but with DKR Airplanes instead of clinging to walls. There are a couple of really cool Aerial tracks based on Skies of Arcadia and Afterburner.

I'd say over all that the tracks are... more grounded than Mario Kart 8, but they often have aerial segments, and there are some hella deep cuts in there like Burning Rangers. That Skies of Arcadia track is really cool- a capital ship attacks the track in the middle of the race, and the track has to go fully aerial in the final lap because everything got blown up.

Yeah; I love that almost every track changes from lap to lap. Some have more dramatic changes than others, but I don't think any of them are just 3 circuits of the same thing over and over.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The only thing I don't like about Zero Mission is the way it gives you tons of new abilities literally right in front of the final boss door and then expects you to backtrack through the entire game to get a bunch of powerups you literally couldn't get until that moment. It's no Metroid Prime 2 in that respect, thankfully. I will give it credit for the tight controls.

I liked it better in Fusion where you had to avoid Nav Rooms right before the end sequence and find all the secret tunnels between the zones if you wanted to 100% the game. Made me feel like a total badass, discovering all the secrets of the station. Even Metroid Prime let you gradually collect most of the artifacts over the course of the game with the final one being right outside the Omega Pirate boss fight. I still like Super Metroid the best :shrug:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The fusion thing of locking all the doors once you get the last upgrade is criminal.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nightmare is also probably one of the worst bosses in any 2d metroid if not the worst

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm going to mention this here because I didn't know about it, and maybe some of you don't either. Apparently they did a PC port of the three Castlevania games, Contra and Super contra for the NES onto the PC
Uh... The Contra port was obviously built with the original IBM PC in mind and as such it's designed around poo poo DMA. It has CGA graphics, PC speaker sound (and the game freezes while the more complex sounds play), no music, and tiled scrolling.
The ZX Spectrum port is way smoother.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

MinibarMatchman posted:

Nightmare is also probably one of the worst bosses in any 2d metroid if not the worst

Still had less trouble on him than I did on loving Mogenar. gently caress that guy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zero Mission is up and currently sitting on my Wii U. Tonight I get to play my final Metroid game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

In Training posted:

The fusion thing of locking all the doors once you get the last upgrade is criminal.

It does not do this. It only locks the doors if you go into a Nav room after getting the final upgrade. Which is completely avoidable by using the secret passages between sectors.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SelenicMartian posted:

30 launches for EOU2 demo? Well, aren't they feeling generous.

I forgot what demo it was, but I downloaded one that permitted only 5 launches.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Miku game demo gave you one use in the EU.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You only get one chance with Hatsune Miku

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

It's a blast! I had a lot of fun running through the main campaign in co-op with my husband. Don't think we made it all the way through (some of the later tracks and challenges are balls hard), but it was a lot of fun!

Super looking forward to it! I ran through the Prime Trilogy, Super Metroid, and Metroid Fusion in one extended binge and was sad that I had to stop due to Zero Mission not being released here yet. Now I can rectify this!

Metroid is good. :D Samus is my new favorite Nintendo character. She's just stone cold and gives no fucks about anything and she's awesome.

Don't play Other M and maintain this perspective of Samus. Though she does have a soft side if you play Metroid II.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Goddamn. LBX and One Piece Red both on sale. Finally!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Also, I'm annoyed that Final Fantasy Explorers is coming out this month, has been available in Japan for a while, and yet I can't find any review or a more detailed impression other than "it doesn't play like MonHun, guys!".

Yeah I really want to know more about the game. I love the idea of monster hunter meets crystal chronicles. But I had it had mixed reviews, but I can't find any reviews.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The crazy thing about Zero Mission, it fully includes the original Metroid, but was paid by a full priced port of the original Metroid on GBA.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It does not do this. It only locks the doors if you go into a Nav room after getting the final upgrade. Which is completely avoidable by using the secret passages between sectors.

The game doesn't tell you this until it's too late and nah it is kinda complete bullshit. Fusion is really rad but the backtracking is a drag

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

Nightmare was the best boss in Metroid Fusion what are you talking?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Zero Mission is up and currently sitting on my Wii U. Tonight I get to play my final Metroid game.

You and me both! :hfive:

Houle posted:

Don't play Other M and maintain this perspective of Samus. Though she does have a soft side if you play Metroid II.

Oh I am well aware. Actually I was aware of it before I even played Metroid, and now Other M makes sadder than ever because I now know exactly what that game did to Samus' character. :smith:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh I am well aware. Actually I was aware of it before I even played Metroid, and now Other M makes sadder than ever because I now know exactly what that game did to Samus' character. :smith:

Slowbeef and Diabetus' commentary of the movie mode isn't the worst way to experience other m

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What's with the acting like other m somehow killed Samus' old character? She hasn't appeared in anything besides smash after that and is the same as ever there. It doesn't seem like anybody really liked that game or its story besides the Sakamoto himself anyway (and it flopped hard everywhere too) so I would be very surprised if Nintendo actually revisited it in any way besides selling it on some service.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Amppelix posted:

What's with the acting like other m somehow killed Samus' old character? She hasn't appeared in anything besides smash after that and is the same as ever there. It doesn't seem like anybody really liked that game or its story besides the Sakamoto himself anyway (and it flopped hard everywhere too) so I would be very surprised if Nintendo actually revisited it in any way besides selling it on some service.

It killed Samus' old character by making it so no Metroid games would be ever be released again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

It killed Samus' old character by making it so no Metroid games would be ever be released again

This

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Because no major Metroid games have come out since so the bad taste hasn't been washed out of our mouths. It is only after another great Metroid game is released that Other M will just be a misstep rather than a derailment.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean Retro has been in hiding for like 2 years or something maybe they're making a Metroid

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean Retro has been in hiding for like 2 years or something maybe they're making a Metroid

I kinda hope they make their own thing, or something new. But I wouldn't be sad with a new Metroid from them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Help Im Alive posted:

Or a 3rd DK game. Not that I wouldn't be totally down for that but just saying.
Although they were apparently hiring sci-fi UI designers a little while back so

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Every Direct I pray for a new Metroid announcement, and at this point I am totally convinced that a new one will be announced and the trailer released while I am literally on my deathbed

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Retro is totally working on something but either it's a new IP or it's just something that's neither DK nor Metroid. As far as a new Metroid game goes i'd say your best bet is waiting another two years before they announce an NX title for it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Looper posted:

Slowbeef and Diabetus' commentary of the movie mode isn't the worst way to experience other m

Thanks. I'll give that a look.

At least one positive(?) about Other M is pretty much everyone hates it. Were they to make another Metroid game, I'm sure they'd make it as far removed from Other M as possible.

Frankly, what I'm hoping for in the new Metroid is something like... it's revealed that the lady in Other M was not Samus at all, but a wannabe fangirl posing as her. Or it was a bad action movie based on Samus' adventures. Either of those scenarios would explain so much.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Not a Children posted:

Every Direct I pray for a new Metroid announcement, and at this point I am totally convinced that a new one will be announced and the trailer released while I am literally on my deathbed

I will hold your hand and tell you how beautiful it is.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Not a Children posted:

:getin:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

This is what put him on his deathbed in the first place.

Samus, please come back to us. Things can be how they were. I believe.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Retro presents: Metroid: Another M

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Spoderman posted:

Retro presents: Metroid: Another M

"The babies."

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I always chuckle when I see talk about killing Samus's character. It's like saying Joel Shumacher killed Batman's character. Like I don't watch Batman Begins and think "wow I can't get into this because Batman & Robin was so goofy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Silver Falcon posted:

Thanks. I'll give that a look.

At least one positive(?) about Other M is pretty much everyone hates it. Were they to make another Metroid game, I'm sure they'd make it as far removed from Other M as possible.

Frankly, what I'm hoping for in the new Metroid is something like... it's revealed that the lady in Other M was not Samus at all, but a wannabe fangirl posing as her. Or it was a bad action movie based on Samus' adventures. Either of those scenarios would explain so much.
The creator of the series was the one behind all the plot and was very happy with it sooooooooo :(