Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

veedubfreak posted:

Behold. If you somehow ended up with a Loyalty crab, this is entertaining for a game or 2 at a time and is even more hilarious when it works.

Publord Special

Man, if you dropped the engine rating so you could cram some CASE on there that'd be pretty close to the KGC my friend put together. He was so proud of his "super good LRM assault"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jack2142 posted:

I never have had a problem with SE light mechs, for pub drops they work perfectly fine I have a couple XL's that I swap around rather than buy one for each mech. All you need to do is be able to better mange heat or armor because you have less tonnage. In regards to speed I don't really notice too much of a difference from 120-150.

It is a huge, huge difference. 120 KPH lights are super easy to hit, can't range too far from the group because they can't run away from any fast light, can't shoot butts effectively because any assault worth its salt can turn to face them easier, and will generally be under fire for much longer which leads to less survivability. You also run into problems with not being able to fit enough weapons, so you're rolling with 2/3 of what you should be carrying as an alpha.

Jack2142 posted:

positioning and maneuvering I always felt work better for lights than raw speed.

all of these things are important, and are easier to pull off with a faster light. You can be the most brilliant light player to ever exist and you're still way limiting yourself if you Go Slow

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
even the minimal gain you get from unlocking speed tweak makes a huge difference

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Maybe he's like Ohsh and can just make anything work.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jack2142 posted:

I never have had a problem with SE light mechs, for pub drops they work perfectly fine I have a couple XL's that I swap around rather than buy one for each mech. All you need to do is be able to better mange heat or armor because you have less tonnage. In regards to speed I don't really notice too much of a difference from 120-150. positioning and maneuvering I always felt work better for lights than raw speed.

Exactly what kinds of builds are you running? 30 kph is a huge difference for a light mech, and it's surprising to me that you think you don't need it.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Pattonesque posted:

It is a huge, huge difference. 120 KPH lights are super easy to hit, can't range too far from the group because they can't run away from any fast light, can't shoot butts effectively because any assault worth its salt can turn to face them easier, and will generally be under fire for much longer which leads to less survivability. You also run into problems with not being able to fit enough weapons, so you're rolling with 2/3 of what you should be carrying as an alpha.

all of these things are important, and are easier to pull off with a faster light. You can be the most brilliant light player to ever exist and you're still way limiting yourself if you Go Slow

Beet Wagon posted:

Exactly what kinds of builds are you running? 30 kph is a huge difference for a light mech, and it's surprising to me that you think you don't need it.

I've mostly been using the same mechs for years at this point and never really bothered upgrading them, so I am just used too it if they get exponentially better I will do it I honestly haven't changed my builds since the summer of 2013 or so.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 14, 2016

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
120 to 150 is night and day, i think

doesn't it effect acceleration, too?

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

DOMDOM posted:

torso yaw speed, pitch speed, acceleration, deceleration and your ability to turn

atleast a few of these things are true. somebody correct me

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

DOMDOM posted:

you know I thought it did but I can't confirm

Jack2142 posted:

I've mostly been using the same mechs for years at this point and never really bothered upgrading them, so I am just used too it if they get exponentially better I will do it

try it out my man, it's seriously much easier. Especially with all the huge alphas flying around these days, you gotta be under fire for as little time as possible

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Some clan mechs have built-in heatsinks in some components. Smurfy shows it in blue and italicised, in-game mechlab shows them greyed out like normal hardwired components.

This puzzled the poo poo out of me too fwiw.

Anyone who wants a WOL invite friend me up in game and send me a message. same name as here.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
i guess it depends how you run your lights, too

there's something magical about tearin' rear end through an enemy line at 150kph, weaving through them just causing havoc, and getting the gently caress out of there at blistering speeds

I pine for the old jenner days, my god did I have a boner for the laser boat variant

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Well I found those magical rage factories.

Sure, tell me I'm not participating when I'm in a legged cheetah that can't go anywhere fast and isn't even shut down. :allears:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bait and Swatch posted:

That modpudding person was a goon?

She was full of hilarious arrogance about her amazing KDR and leet skills, and was one of the biggest assholes in a thread that wasn't hurting for assholery. And it was all based on lies, lol

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZLT9BKgyEA

Here's how big the Warhammer is. Also sneak peek of New Map

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I blew the side torso off a spider the other day and it didn't die. All I could think was "WHO PUTS A STANDARD ENGINE IN A SPIDER". As I put another volley of srms into his face.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Clarification on 'Kill most damage done' - Is that killing blow and most damage or just most damage to a target?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
You did the most damage to a mech that died.

So basically this event should just be called STOP CHANGING TARGETS STUPID.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Why does everyone love Viridian Bog? No sight lines, indestructible terrain, irritating height changes, etc. And yet every time it comes up, it gets voted for immediately regardless of what other map is there. I honestly can't think of a map off the top of my head that I hate fighting in more.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Just put an XL 295 in my Jenner it was fun.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
alpine peaks is the worst map.

good map for drinking, tho

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DOMDOM posted:

alpine peaks is the worst map.

good map for drinking, tho

At least in Alpine Peaks I can more easily plan where I'm going and see what I'm fighting. I can appreciate it as a very clean map even if I don't enjoy trying to brawl in it very much.

Viridian Bog is like trying to fight inside a dumpster full of cinderblocks and razors. While drunk, and blindfolded.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
alpine is great if you're an ERLL locust because if all enemy lights die you are effectively invincible

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZLT9BKgyEA

Here's how big the Warhammer is. Also sneak peek of New Map

My main takeaway from this video is holy gently caress, the Grasshopper's tall.

Still waiting on Warham perks.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

I blew the side torso off a spider the other day and it didn't die. All I could think was "WHO PUTS A STANDARD ENGINE IN A SPIDER". As I put another volley of srms into his face.

It's me.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

At least in Alpine Peaks I can more easily plan where I'm going and see what I'm fighting. I can appreciate it as a very clean map even if I don't enjoy trying to brawl in it very much.

Viridian Bog is like trying to fight inside a dumpster full of cinderblocks and razors. While drunk, and blindfolded.
Alpine is just a snore fest, too big, too empty for my tastes

I don't particularly like the bog either, but I like to brawl and despite the terrible geometry and invisible walls blocking shots, the cluttered nature of the map forces you into some hectic confusing brawls

let's be clear, I don't think I like any of the maps. except crimson straits maybe

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Zaodai posted:

do i have great news for you

quote:

Breakable trees and roots in Viridian Bog
Thanks to the extra efforts of our level artist we have made an initial round of improvements to Viridian Bog. This should be considered a first pass, as we will continue to improve collisions and general playability on this map in later patches.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/218691-january-road-map/

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I just had two games where my 6 spl jenner was revived I mostly stopped using it, but now that it moves at 149kph now it has a second life I just murdered an entire lance of mechs these last two games.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Jack2142 posted:

I just had two games where my 6 spl jenner was revived I mostly stopped using it, but now that it moves at 149kph now it has a second life I just murdered an entire lance of mechs these last two games.

welcome, brother

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't mind HPG and Tourmaline. The little Thunderdome under HPG can be fun and there's some nice little battles you can have inside it.

Tourmaline just feels good to play on. It's hard to explain. There's sniper spots, and brawling spots. There's some high cover but not lots of irritating clutter and invisible walling. There are elevation changes, but no walking around to look for random ramps to let you climb up otherwise sheer walls (I'm looking at you, bog and canyon!). I've run into some bad games there from time to time, but it is usually due to a bad team or facing a team that has their poo poo together, and at least I felt like most people were contributing to the fight rather than AFK in a corner somewhere or sitting on a ridge praying they don't get spotted while they shoot LRMs and AC2s.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
If you are a butt shootin mecha king Bog and Tourmaline are the perfect maps for it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Jack2142 posted:

welcome to owning a good light finally

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jack2142 posted:

i like running that with 6 spl, but I like running it with 6 ml even better

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
I like everything about the new Warham except for the look of the arms/guns. Something is off there that is stopping me from liking it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Zaodai posted:

I don't mind HPG and Tourmaline. The little Thunderdome under HPG can be fun and there's some nice little battles you can have inside it.

Tourmaline just feels good to play on. It's hard to explain. There's sniper spots, and brawling spots. There's some high cover but not lots of irritating clutter and invisible walling. There are elevation changes, but no walking around to look for random ramps to let you climb up otherwise sheer walls (I'm looking at you, bog and canyon!). I've run into some bad games there from time to time, but it is usually due to a bad team or facing a team that has their poo poo together, and at least I felt like most people were contributing to the fight rather than AFK in a corner somewhere or sitting on a ridge praying they don't get spotted while they shoot LRMs and AC2s.

yeah Tourmaline is the best map I think. you can do any type of playstyle on it and it works

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

DOMDOM posted:

i like running that with 6 spl, but I like running it with 6 ml even better

I dunno I like the raw close in damage of the spl's, if I wanted to do the longer range harassing I have a Cicada with ecm with a pair of ERLL which does great for that.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

sebmojo posted:

Anyone who wants a WOL invite friend me up in game and send me a message. same name as here.

Sent you a request.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Mindblast posted:

Maybe he's like Ohsh and can just make anything work.

The netcode has been improved enough that high-speed lights no longer have the magical lag-armor they used to.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/687731178296578048

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

The netcode has been improved enough that high-speed lights no longer have the magical lag-armor they used to.

I've been teaching lights that whenever I take my brawl Atlas out for a spin. Oh no, they're trying to juke and be fancy! *fires enormous spread of SRMs at their legs*.

If one salvo doesn't leg them, two will for sure even just firing into the general vicinity of the leg area. So much easier and more satisfying than trying to take out the torsos. Just sweet the leg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

sebmojo posted:

Sent request. Same name.

• Locked thread