Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been reading this from the beginning (I had previously read random segments from whatever act where the trolls interact with the kids but didn't know what was going on plot-wise) and was looking at this thread and was surprised to see that it was apparently in the current act 5 years ago?

Either way, I am enjoying this. I'm not a big fan of all the referential humor (a lot of it won't make any sense if someone attempts to read this in 30 years), but the author is extremely good at making characters and giving them convincing voices, and there's some great humor. My favorites parts are easily the various chatlogs. I just finished the act where the Wayward Vagrant takes off on this cylinder ship and there's a flash movie and it is now focusing on Jade for the first time. Speaking of the flash movies, they look cool but I have trouble following what is going on in them and had to look up a description of them afterwards. This might just be because my brain is slow.

I'm guessing most of the dislike for this is because it has crazy fans and has apparently been stalling out for a long time (judging from the 6 month gap since the last update). It still seems better than every other webcomic I've attempted to read, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Ytlaya posted:

Either way, I am enjoying this. I'm not a big fan of all the referential humor (a lot of it won't make any sense if someone attempts to read this in 30 years),

Eventually, this shifts into become almost exclusively self-referential humor.

You are still in the wading area of the pool. I eagerly look forward to what it's going to be like when you get in deep. Pay no attention to us in the meantime, we've all been hit pretty hard with cabin fever for this comic and are generally a collection of screaming jackasses in the best of times. But I dare say we wouldn't all still be here if we didn't all share the belief that there was something worth being here for.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

Pay no attention to us in the meantime, we've all been hit pretty hard with cabin fever for this comic and are generally a collection of screaming jackasses in the best of times.

im cool

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just played all of florence + the machine's Lungs for the first time, and my daughter came in to say, "This entire album is basically songs you can make fan videos of." She had a point. (Yes, I know about the Lyricstucks for "Blue Lips, Blue Veins" and for "Girl With One Eye." For those who don't:

Blue Lips, Blue Veins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWC16tibFcE

Girl With One Eye: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUH0oeIbNbQ

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
No, I draw the line at AMVs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Who What Now posted:

No, I draw the line at AMVs.

Just to make the distinction: AMVs are collections of disparate pieces of fanart strung together. Both of the things I linked are Lyricstucks, where a single artist draws a set of panels that illustrate/riff on the song. I'm sure you dislike both, but I like Lyricstucks and avoid AMVs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I'm guessing that even the regular, non-SBURB Earth in Homestuck is game-ish, what with the capchalogs and stuff?

Also, I want to internet chat with Jade even if she does act like she's on meth constantly. She is so friendly!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I always thought AMV stood for Anime Music Video.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Also, I want to internet chat with Jade even if she does act like she's on meth constantly. She is so friendly!

Jade was my favourite of the kids when she was introduced. She is really bubbly. Rose steals the crown for me later on though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AMV does mean "anime music video", but it's spilled over into other fandoms. I think Lyricstuck is, too.

Ytlaya posted:

So I'm guessing that even the regular, non-SBURB Earth in Homestuck is game-ish, what with the capchalogs and stuff?

Ooh, a new reader! Have fun! (not a spoiler) We never really find out about the rest of Earth. See: "Homestuck".

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Spoiler Alert: Homestuck is bad

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Tag that poo poo, bro

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Ytlaya posted:

Good luck on your adventure/descent into madness.

And because I'm 100% certain you'll want this eventually, Here is a link to Homestuck's Bandcamp page, where you can find all the music you'll hear throughout the comic, and quite a bit more beyond that, available for purchase. Most of the comic's music can be found in the "main" volumes numbered 1-9, and you can't really go wrong with any of them, but there's also a lot of good music in the peripheral albums as well, which are all either solo albums by individual music contributors, or concept albums built around a theme of some sort, and the comic occasionally draws from these as well. Opinions seem to vary on them, but the ones which are pretty universally liked are Strife!, Mobius Trip & Hadron Kaliedo, AlterniaBound, and Cherubim (no link on that last one because it's kinda spoilery).

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 14, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CidGregor posted:

Good luck on your adventure/descent into madness.

And because I'm 100% certain you'll want this eventually, Here is a link to Homestuck's Bandcamp page, where you can find all the music you'll hear throughout the comic, and quite a bit more beyond that, available for purchase. Most of the comic's music can be found in the "main" volumes numbered 1-9, and you can't really go wrong with any of them, but there's also a lot of good music in the peripheral albums as well, which are all either solo albums by individual music contributors, or concept albums built around a theme of some sort, and the comic occasionally draws from these as well. Opinions seem to vary on them, but the ones which are pretty universally liked are Strife!, Mobius Trip & Hadron Kaliedo, AlterniaBound, and Cherubim (no link on that last one because it's kinda spoilery).

Also, avoid the Wiki, which will turn up in your searches. It is spoilery as gently caress, and there are a lot of surprises you'll enjoy best unspoiled.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Man, Strife! comes across an awful lot different now.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just played all of florence + the machine's Lungs for the first time, and my daughter came in to say, "This entire album is basically songs you can make fan videos of." She had a point. (Yes, I know about the Lyricstucks for "Blue Lips, Blue Veins" and for "Girl With One Eye." For those who don't:

Blue Lips, Blue Veins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWC16tibFcE

Girl With One Eye: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUH0oeIbNbQ

Blue Lips, Blue Veins is by Regina Spektor.

Who also does Patron Saint!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlCWpFkd3wo

(I haven't vetted this one so I don't know if it sucks but fortunately I don't care at the moment)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

Blue Lips, Blue Veins is by Regina Spektor.

Who also does Patron Saint!
(headdesk) I also mess both of them up with Ms Mr, so there you go.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

MS MR you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIXQZGRwaag

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I wonder how I came to mix them up? *g*

Ytlaya, don't click any of those links Plom Bar and I just posted; they are also spoilery as heck. In general, don't click links to Homestuck things, it can only end in cosplay or tears, often both.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I wonder how I came to mix them up? *g*

Ytlaya, don't click any of those links Plom Bar and I just posted; they are also spoilery as heck. In general, don't click links to Homestuck things, it can only end in cosplay or tears, often both.

Unfortunately I've clicked other links before (not the ones you posted yet though), but it didn't seem to spoil much at that point since I didn't know what I was looking at. I'm sure its potential to spoil gets worse as you get further into the plot and encounter more characters, so I'll be avoiding them just in case. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I had already read a few random segments in Act 5 or something, but was clueless about what was going on in the plot and the only thing it really spoiled was the general personalities of some of the trolls (those chatlogs somehow managed to be entertaining even though I didn't know what they were talking about).

edit:
lol, Rose is looking at this map of where all the meteors will land and narrows it down to the two biggest impacts, and says "The biggest by a landslide is, luckily for the Earth you suppose, way out in the middle of the Pacific ocean.", but that impact is so massive it would completely obliterate the planet in real life (and maybe it does in the comic, just thought her statement about it was funny): http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002776

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 15, 2016

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I remember a blog post somewhere discussing the visual design of the opening animation for A6A6I1 that issued a spoiler alert along the lines of "If you're still in the first four acts, then go ahead and read on, because so much happens between where you are and where this is that you probably won't remember any of this by the time it becomes relevant." I feel like that's where we're at here with this poster. :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I was exposed to a tonne of Homestuck spoilers before reading it and it didn't matter because most of them are just completely nonsensical until you reach them.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i can't believe betty crocker is actually sea hitler from another universe who's enslaved to a honking time-traveling skeleton and seeks to turn earth into a watery version of her lost home + baking goods

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I can't believe John dies.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I can't believe John dies.

I can't believe this applies multiple times, and isn't even really a spoiler for most of them.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

everybody dies

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I actually got introduced to Homestuck via Descend. I saw my brother watching it, saw at least 3/4 of it all the way through, and promptly forgot about it for the next six months because none of it made any sense to someone who hadn't been reading beforehand.
I didn't even realize that it was the same flash by the time I'd hit it in my read because I recognized what the gently caress was happening, it took me until about 2012 to put the pieces together.

Suffice to say, unless you have context for the spoilers, they make no loving sense.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

AriadneThread posted:

everybody dies

Color Printer posted:

I can't believe this applies multiple times, and isn't even really a spoiler for most maybe about half of them.

hussie's bloodlust will never be satiated

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

AriadneThread posted:

everybody dies

i was already dead on the inside when i started reading homestuck.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

For me it was [S] Enter. Watching this seemingly non-sequitur mishmash of concurrent events and being able to parse exactly what was going on, and realizing that it had all finally clicked. That was when I realized I liked this comic.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Ytlaya posted:

edit:
lol, Rose is looking at this map of where all the meteors will land and narrows it down to the two biggest impacts, and says "The biggest by a landslide is, luckily for the Earth you suppose, way out in the middle of the Pacific ocean.", but that impact is so massive it would completely obliterate the planet in real life (and maybe it does in the comic, just thought her statement about it was funny): http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002776

Dang, you're really early in still. Yeah, you've got a looooong long way to go.

Actually you're not far off from the flash Plom Bar mentions, which contains possibly the single most iconic homestuck song.

Well, original homestuck song. We won't get into that other one.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

MAKE ME
COME ALIVE

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Was reading this and liking the comments. http://andrewhussie.blogspot.ca/2009/03/end-of-problem-sleuth.html

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Man, Strife! comes across an awful lot different now.

How so?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This part with the gangsters fighting green guys in a buildings full of clocks is really confusing (not just because I'm not familiar with the characters, but also because I can't figure out the time powers some of the green guys have). I'm assuming this will make sense later or something?

CidGregor posted:

Dang, you're really early in still. Yeah, you've got a looooong long way to go.

Actually you're not far off from the flash Plom Bar mentions, which contains possibly the single most iconic homestuck song.

Well, original homestuck song. We won't get into that other one.

Is it the one where Dave installs Sburb and Rose enters the game? I just saw that not too long ago and am reading the intermission after it now. It was neat and the only thing that confused me at first was when breaking the bottle caused her to enter the game, but then I remembered that the apple is what caused John to enter.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

This part with the gangsters fighting green guys in a buildings full of clocks is really confusing. I'm assuming this will make sense later or something?

For the time being, think of it as a primer on a few of the many varieties of bullshit situations that time travel can create.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Bongo Bill posted:

For the time being, think of it as a primer on a few of the many varieties of bullshit situations that time travel can create.

:golfclap:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the music during the Flash game part where I'm John ([S] ACT 4 ==>).

Also I was actually laughing out loud during the part earlier where Dave is chatting with one of the trolls and ends up making him really upset.

edit: "Jade: Tidy up Strider's apartment a little." and then it shows her dropping his towel in the toilet, hahahahaha

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 15, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ah, how nostalgic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

Do any of them not contain the word "sir?"