Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ducky39101
Nov 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Am I drunk or is he drunk?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Secret Spoon posted:

Given your chosen lines of work, both?

(Actually, looks like he is having a combination of troubles - Autocorrect, and giving zero shits about posting, as well as possibly English not his first language. I had to get by for a couple of days with my tablet and Awful App and I didn't turn out anything that mangled.)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Secret Spoon posted:

I'm more drunk.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'm more drunk.

I wish I could be there, but my group decided to taste tonight. Wednesday and/or Thursday homie. Ill make the hour + drive. Well chill!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Secret Spoon posted:

I wish I could be there, but my group decided to taste tonight. Wednesday and/or Thursday homie. Ill make the hour + drive. Well chill!

Two nights in so far, and your city had forgotten to charge me for half my drinks. WTF is wrong with your bartenders.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Two nights in so far, and your city had forgotten to charge me for half my drinks. WTF is wrong with your bartenders.

Sounds like "nothing" from here

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Houston is in a hospitality drought. The cities clientele and industry has burned so many servers and bartenders no one wants to work in it anymore, instead opting to work labor jobs. No joke. There are few remaining staff in the city that are worth their salt. In fact its so bad Im managing 2 different restaurants and a golf clubs wine lists as well as waiting tables. Since the oil downturn, not a lot of people want to wait tables, and it will only get worse as those of us find avenues to retreat from this industry.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

When are you in SA?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

When are you in SA?

27th to 30th

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Wasn't there someone in this thread that worked at Yellowstone? Does anyone recall? A friend of mine just got a summer position working in the park. I recall the poster in question saying they'd moved up to HC relatively quickly. She'd love any tips, she's never been out west.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Second bounced paycheck today. Told chef if it happens again, I'm out, and he got pissy. Said he isn't in charge of banking, and telling him that just pisses him off. I guess I warned him.

I'm just pleased that I work where bounced paychecks are common, and all of our managers that actually have access to the accountant/owner have complained about it to no avail. Sure is great to have no loving representation or avenues for complaint.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
quit now? That's 2 weeks without pay. How much notice did they give you?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Invisible Ted posted:

Second bounced paycheck today. Told chef if it happens again, I'm out, and he got pissy. Said he isn't in charge of banking, and telling him that just pisses him off. I guess I warned him.

I'm just pleased that I work where bounced paychecks are common, and all of our managers that actually have access to the accountant/owner have complained about it to no avail. Sure is great to have no loving representation or avenues for complaint.

loving :sever:

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

JawKnee posted:

quit now? That's 2 weeks without pay. How much notice did they give you?

Notice of what, the check bouncing? I don't think I understand the question.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Get out now. literally go get a new job as soon as possible.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Secret Spoon posted:

Get out now. literally go get a new job as soon as possible.

Yeah I just got finished updating my resume. I'm trying to nail down an entry level office job, with no office experience!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Stop showing up and working for free. Your time is better spent job hunting than volunteering in some idiot's failing restaurant.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Wroughtirony posted:

Stop showing up and working for free. Your time is better spent job hunting than volunteering in some idiot's failing restaurant.

What's frustrating is that the chef is great and I've worked with him in the last restaurant we were at, but the accountant for the company we're owned by doesn't know what the gently caress she's doing with payroll. One of our managers worked in a restaurant she was doing payroll for like 10 years ago and it was still an issue, despite the place being pretty successful. Similarly, other properties owned by the company have the same issue. Plus, our chef literally cannot do anything about it besides write me a new check.

Also, they always write me a new check, so what I'm saying is I'm ok staying as long as it takes to get new work, I'd honestly just be burning a lot of important connections if I just stopped showing up.

e: that being said I'm pretty sure the stress from this and school was what caused me to start vomiting last night with a mystery 12-hour fever, which has been happening with alarming frequency since this began

Invisible Ted fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 14, 2016

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
E: nevermind

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Guys it's been slow as poo poo. These next two months are going to be ROUGH!

I made $12 yesterday. :aaa:

Don't you dare say what I know you want to say.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

A Man and his dog posted:

Do the 12$ get down?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Guys it's been slow as poo poo. These next two months are going to be ROUGH!

I made $12 yesterday. :aaa:

You could probably get a bottle of brandy with that.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You could probably get a bottle of brandy with that.

gotta go right to the rock bottom

Sherry

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

These next two months are going to be ROUGH!

I was under the impression that you like it rough

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

JawKnee posted:

gotta go right to the rock bottom

Sherry

Cooking sherry

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Cooking sherry

Vanilla extract

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

Vanilla extract

no-name bitters

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
My place had our staff Christmas party the other night.

I found out that during 2015 I did $485,000 in sales.

Jesus.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
And how much do they pay you? Use that to negotiate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

And how much do they pay you? Use that to negotiate.

Assuming he's a waiter, probably minimum wage.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Okay, I'm wondering how you found that out at a party. I just realized how I could find out myself next time I'm in the office but there is literally no way I can imagine that coming up at a party being a good thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
"Congratulations, you sold almost half a million dollars worth of food. Keep up the good work."

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

"Congratulations, you sold almost half a million dollars worth of food. Keep up the good work."

Pretty much that followed by "here's a cash bonus for being the top FOH"

And I make $13/hr

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Mezzanon posted:

And I make $13/hr

While clocked in as a server?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

And I make $13/hr

roughly, how many hours a week do you work on average?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

JawKnee posted:

roughly, how many hours a week do you work on average?

25-45 at the restaurant, 20-35 at my day job.

Trebuchet King posted:

While clocked in as a server?

Yes.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

ok drat i'm jealous. did they tell you what percent of sales you were responsible for or just the raw number?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

so, rough math that completely ignores a lot of externalities, and the costs of employing others:

After securing 500k in sales over the year for your employer your employment cost them $16900 to $30420 over the year

Meaning for every dollar they paid you, you secured roughly $30 to $16 gross for them

hopefully you can secure a higher wage with a more comprehensive argument that takes costs into account :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Trebuchet King posted:

ok drat i'm jealous. did they tell you what percent of sales you were responsible for or just the raw number?

37%

P sure I added a floor to my boss's house.

• Locked thread