Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

Stuff like this is what puts me off WH40K, it veers too close into 4th Stimpire territory. Why would anyone continue to fight for these rulers, they don't seem that much better than the Chaos they claim to protect humanity from. The guys that come out looking least evil are those mecha dudes and they still plan to genocide humanity through sterilization. Might as well embrace Chaos and to hell with everything.

Yeah, thats what i call "full on grimderp" but its a nice little trick to reinforce the motto of the Ip "In the future, there is only war" because since there are no good, or even moderate factions (The Tau are all about mind control and totalitarism if you read between the lines) you dont really feel bad for the constant conflict since everyone are basically assholes of different diameters.

Except the Orks. They are a galactic fungus and simply do what they are breed to do: FIght. Forever.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Samizdata posted:

Stop hurting my GTX 760's feelings!

it already feels unappreciated now that your attention is on star citizen

writing that made me feel a little bit sorry for it :(

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

Not completely caught up yet, but do these AtV episode always follow this format? Is Sandi auditioning for a role as a news anchor or something? It's like "Sandi soundbite, Erin fill in, repeat x5 and ad-lib some witty banter" - I was half expecting Sandi to shuffle her notes when the camera cuts back to her and then at the end she'd turn to Eric for a muted conversation with lights fading out.... Hollow, bloated, over-produced, soulless and totally unfulfilling, much like the way the game seems to be going.
She already has that role--both in fiction ("Beck Rossum") and in reality. Watch her early Wingman's Hangar interviews and you'll get a sense of how little she knows/cares about games and the gaming industry. One interview (with Jason Spangler, former CTO) was so frustratingly shallow and awkward that it was followed by Wingman interviewing the same person and asking useful technical questions and both of them having a jolly good time talking tech.

The shows coming out of CIG LA are really terrible. The only one worth watching (if you're a masochist) is "Reverse the Verse", and that's only because occasionally you pick up interesting tidbits about the goings-on and personality tensions at CIG. But honestly, if you follow this thread, you'll get the condensed version. It is always more entertaining and informative than wasting an hour watching the show...

The only MUST SEE programming coming out of LA is any live stream they air- because they're always train wrecks, and sometimes spectacular ones.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

I threw out my guesstimate with bandwidth costs which are negligible.

For the Cry/Star/WTF engine gurus what is the maximum amount of players in a server instance? That is going to define the final calculations. But, $80K is chump change for cloud computing. Well unless you only have a few thousand playing it. And that's the kicker, that's what they had.

The closest game i can think of that use Cryengine and focus on vehicular combat would be Mechwarrior online and they accept 24 players (12 Vs 12) on each mission map, Upgraded from the original 16 once they got better with the engine.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
it's alright my dear old gtx 750, I appreciate you just the way you are :3:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

we're so close to page 1300 it's scary

We should save all posts into one file, convert it into an .exe, and watch it perform better than SC.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

aleksendr posted:

The closest game i can think of that use Cryengine and focus on vehicular combat would be Mechwarrior online and they accept 24 players (12 Vs 12) on each mission map, Upgraded from the original 16 once they got better with the engine.

So... with CIG we can expect what, four at launch?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
This is the thread that keeps on giving. Besides the comedy of Untergang Roberts, I go to play Elite, which I'm finding pretty fun (if still rough around the edges.) Also, I never really go into any of the 40k stuff and probably never will, but learning about the very dark 40k universe is interesting. Probably a little too dark for my tastes, but :shrug:. They style is amazing though.

Also, does anyone have a link to the lovely CIG armor? This thread moves so fast.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

happyhippy posted:

We should save all posts into one file, convert it into an .exe, and watch it perform better than SC.

we can have 64-bit precision shitposting!

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Stuff like this is what puts me off WH40K, it veers too close into 4th Stimpire territory. Why would anyone continue to fight for these rulers, they don't seem that much better than the Chaos they claim to protect humanity from. The guys that come out looking least evil are those mecha dudes and they still plan to genocide humanity through sterilization. Might as well embrace Chaos and to hell with everything.

Instead of Chaos, the better question is why don't they join the Tau.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

MoraleHazard posted:

This is the thread that keeps on giving. Besides the comedy of Untergang Roberts, I go to play Elite, which I'm finding pretty fun (if still rough around the edges.) Also, I never really go into any of the 40k stuff and probably never will, but learning about the very dark 40k universe is interesting. Probably a little too dark for my tastes, but :shrug:. They style is amazing though.

Also, does anyone have a link to the lovely CIG armor? This thread moves so fast.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Could somebody add subtitles or a parp /:pgabz: to this exchange?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Star Citizen: Fifty-Thousand Shades of Grey

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Samizdata posted:

Stop hurting my GTX 760's feelings!

'sup 760 bro? :shobon::hf::awesomelon:

Don't worry, it's still the best card. There are more important things in the world than performance.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
188 more pages until we play Secret Hitler guys.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
what do you get if you paint an ugly, generic and derivative sci-fi pic and then turn saturation down to 10%

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

G0RF posted:

She already has that role--both in fiction ("Beck Rossum") and in reality. Watch her early Wingman's Hangar interviews and you'll get a sense of how little she knows/cares about games and the gaming industry. One interview (with Jason Spangler, former CTO) was so frustratingly shallow and awkward that it was followed by Wingman interviewing the same person and asking useful technical questions and both of them having a jolly good time talking tech.

The role of the interviewer is to drive the interview - Eric has excellent conversational interview skills, keeping the interview flowing and interesting whilst maintaining the focus of the conversation on the interviewee... these are skills that Sandi sorely lacks, and the interviews suffer hugely as a result.

e: Just off the cuff, she could have name dropped some of the games that he worked on rather than asking him to recount his working history, then asked questions about aspects of those games and how they'll relate to Star Citizen... falling back to "Did you pledge? How much did you pledge?", totally shows what Sandi was about from the get go.

sanctimoniousqfd fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 14, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

what do you get if you paint an ugly, generic and derivative sci-fi pic and then turn saturation down to 10%

Some early Métal hurlant comic?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

Some early Métal hurlant comic?

had to google this

man you gotta be old

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dongattack posted:

You should be able to capture people, pull out their teeth and ransom them back to them, i expect nothing less from this magnum opus.

TEEF! NOT DA TEEF!

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Iron Tusk posted:

Tau is anime

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

Look at this scrub who thinks there's anything like a "good guy" team in 40k. :colbert:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tortolia posted:

I look forward to seeing the designs they put in The Expanse when they get to the second book. They already had some great looking Martian space marine armor in the show.

This is a post suggesting that folks in this thread might dig The Expanse, incidentally. It does Space Physics, Space Stations and Spaceships very well.

And the books were pretty drat awesome too.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Dilute your paints.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Iron Tusk posted:

Because with the Tau, if you are an average person, you will be shipped to a re-education camp where you will be sterelized and either die from overwork or be brainwashed into the equivalent of a 1984 factory line worker "for the greater good", completely mind controlled by the Etheral caste (Tau nobility).

If you are a human with exceptionnal abilities, they will let you be eaten by the Kroot, their mercenary allies and shock troops who upgrade their DNA by eating stronger prey (For the greater good too).

Fun, Fun, FUN !

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 14, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Neat, I'll look into it! I don't tv much, but I love me a good space show.

Yeah, it looks like I'm gonna have to pick up models and rulebooks separately if I really want it (which is a shame, because apparently the starter box was super good), which I might do in the future. I'm gonna need poo poo for game night once my D&D campaign ends.

Man, Starship Troopers is a franchise that I really wish would get some more love. I know the second and third movies really blew rear end, but I feel like the franchise fits into a nice spot between the really generic sci-fi war stuff and the (for me) way too over the top grimdark 40K stuff. A good Starship Troopers game would actually be the best Aliens game that has ever been made.

The one Straylight put out was pretty decent. Harder than gently caress (like it should have been), but decent.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

these guys got no game

i've said this a lot about SC design lately but holy poo poo this is worthless. it's meant to be a scout ship, so to me that says big sensor dishes, huge fuel tanks, maybe a ramscoop, some small pew pew guns and a crew or one or two wrapped up in a utilitarian but sturdy frame (you never know what's out there, right?). instead it's a jagged mess of fragile-looking bullshit, dominated by two huge lasers and carrying half a platoon of mini-hitlers. It inspires boredom and hate. I hate it and I want to go to sleep, and I don't even care about this game.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Tippis posted:

'sup 760 bro? :shobon::hf::awesomelon:

Don't worry, it's still the best card. There are more important things in the world than performance.

Screw you assholes. My 680's are awesome. I'm totally not mad at myself for buying them like 3 days before the 700 line launched because I didn't know about them.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tippis posted:

I need to replay AvP1 and 2. I seem to recall that they were pretty good (if you stayed away from the “P” portion), except for having somewhat unintuitive maps, even for their time.

Heh. I remember playing, I think it was AvP2 online once, I was a Marine and we were in the middle of a huge furball with Aliens when we heard the crack of a Pred plasmacaster. Without a word said, everyone stopped fighting and went Pred hunting. When the Pred player stopped whining and ragequit, we all headed back to the main area and got on with the killing.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Yeah, grey and generic. Makes me think of, "Don't quote me regulations. I co-chaired the committee that reviewed the recommendation to revise the color of the book that regulation's in. We kept it gray."

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

Just a quick reminder of what an actual, competent, game company is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaSuyagCDsY

actually you dont need videos and poo poo like this at all

if you guys would stop preordering games

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

MoraleHazard posted:

Yeah, grey and generic. Makes me think of, "Don't quote me regulations. I co-chaired the committee that reviewed the recommendation to revise the color of the book that regulation's in. We kept it gray."

also i like how the dude inside is meant to be all gruff and angry lookin but he mostly just looks constipated

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

had to google this

man you gotta be old

Kids these days got no culture. :colbert:

Now, for a “why did I do this to myself” encore, google Morbus Gravis, which was the first name I remembered (since it was only published in black and white around here), but which apparently came out in full colour in the original version.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

SelenicMartian posted:

Could somebody add subtitles or a parp /:pgabz: to this exchange?

Wait I been out of this... where's Ben?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Daztek posted:

quote:

from the monthly report:
The Medical Unit animations are nearly complete, and the Nightclub animations are not far behind. Throughout this process we’ve identified and solved issues with female locomotion and vending machine metrics.
I dunno, sounds like strippers (dancers, probably not full GTA style lol) confirmed to me, anyone else?

Do the vending machines have full damage models? I'm asking for a friend named Derek.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

SelenicMartian posted:

I think Sandi has a couple of bones dedicated to fake smiling and they're killing her

i'm the weird chic under armour designer shirt. i have honestly never seen someone wear something like that outside of athletic gear, just sayin'

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

MoraleHazard posted:

If you want to get in 40k I suggest you read the books that focus on the Imperial guards, either Gaunt ghosts or Ciaphas Cain. Its like hard-ish military fictions with some sci-fi elements.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/our-ranges-gaunts-ghosts.html

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/Hero-of-the-Imperium.html

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Iron Tusk posted:

Probably the same reason why North Korea is still being North Korea. The "why doesn't X just choose a not poo poo faction" is probably the most realistic part of 40K. Why do people still back Star Citizen after being poo poo on for 3+ years? Why do shitizens lash out at anyone not believing in their dreams? Why didn't everyone just desert during the Eastern Front during WW2? People manage to get indoctrinated and settled into whatever lives they have for pretty much all of human history, so they do dumb stuff to justify and sustain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Tormented posted:

Wait I been out of this... where's Ben?

In LA. Ben dont fly. Sandi and Croberts are probably goign to be in England a lot in the coming year.

• Locked thread