Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I think a lot of people my age feel the same way about things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So the ABC was pressuring a journo into not writing about the NBN?

An American friend of mine heard about this before I did. He had to ask what the NBN was before telling me someone was being forced not to write about it.

I don't think there's enough left in the NBN to give much of a poo poo, and I doubt any dirt from this is going to do anything just because Turnbull's so non-stick you could sell him as kitchenware, but I'm sure whatever this is will at least be worth hearing.

Anidav posted:

Yeah, quite frankly if you're in your twenties in Australia and don't have a general feeling of 'gently caress it, just gently caress IT' that flares up occasionally, you're the one that warrants concern.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...5363b801c5fda62

What

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
PAYWALL

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Here's the NBN stuff. It was pretty obvious it was happening at the time but good to have it confirmed I guess.

"ABC tech editor claims broadcaster “gagged” his NBN coverage posted:

news The ABC’s outgoing technology editor today claimed he had been “gagged” by the broadcaster from publishing further articles about the National Broadband Network, after several initial articles heavily criticised the Coalition’s Multi-Technology Mix model.

Since April 2010, experienced technology journalist Nick Ross has been the leading technology journalist at the ABC as the editor of its Technology and Games sub-site. Ross is considered a veteran tech writer in Australia, having worked for a number of other outlets, including serving as the editor of PC Authority Magazine.

In 2013, the journalist came under heavy fire from other media outlets and political figures for publishing a number of articles which were heavily critical of the Coalition’s rival NBN policy, developed by then-Shadow Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

At the time, The Australian newspaper published several articles claiming Ross had failed to meet the ABC’s editorial policies. Turnbull himself accused the ABC in mid-2012 of “creating relentless propaganda” to support Labor’s NBN policy and singled out Ross for particular criticism....

...Today on Twitter, Ross noted that he had “left the ABC” and could “potentially write about NBN again”. Asked point blank whether he had been “gagged”, Ross answered: “Yes”.

“I also don’t have to let any public lies/criticism about me go unanswered anymore, can be more active on social media and also I have no requirement to fend off all your questions about what happened to me over the past three years any more,” he added.

Ross is considering carrying out a questions and answer-style ‘AMA’ with social networking site Reddit to go through the issues with his NBN coverage.

In the wake of Ross’s departure, the ABC has deleted the Technology and Games sub-site which he had edited, forwarding readers instead to the technology section of its news website.

Also apparently the ABC no longer has a Technology and Games sub-section. I'm sure many dozens shall mourn.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

While that is horrible, I'm not clicking on a News Corpse URL

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Lid posted:

There is piss taking, but there is also being able to tell when someone isn't the normal kind of not right. I straight up hosed up yesterday when I commented on Anidav's use of alcohol with a joke about using a depressant but it's pretty clear since that this isn't a joke and that the kids in trouble. Sorry about lashing out but I have a real trigger for when people don't take mental illness seriously and with half the guys telling Anidav to get serious help while the other half are kicking him.

Hello

I take mental illnes very, very seriously

Anidav posted:

agreed

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Also Anidav if you need a cheap psychology service and don't have a lot of money/ GP referral thing getting you down, I can PM you the info of a good clinic

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Since when do you get 10 therapy sessions on a MHP? I only got six.

I use my six every year and then have to pay, and my shrink ain't fuckin cheap m8

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Endman posted:

I use my six every year and then have to pay, and my shrink ain't fuckin cheap m8

You get 6, then your psych can send your back to your GP for a MHCP review and the GP can extend it for another 4.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

You get 6, then your psych can send your back to your GP for a MHCP review and the GP can extend it for another 4.

Ohhh, that's right. Yeah nevermind, I'm just an idiot. I do get those.

I thought something had changed and you'd get 10 by default.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

That's old, labor policy. It ain't so easy any more

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
There is a different track that gets you 12 too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I just keep going and my shrink keeps getting me free ones.

gently caress going to a GP just to have them boredly approve my further free healthcare that they don't actually do anything about.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

Ohhh, that's right. Yeah nevermind, I'm just an idiot. I do get those.

I thought something had changed and you'd get 10 by default.

It used to be something like 20 per year when I started back in 08 but it's been steadily whittled down and all it's done is made it more of a hassle since I've had to go back to my gp for MHCP updates.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

starkebn posted:

That's old, labor policy. It ain't so easy any more

Should still be 10, max.

Birb Katter posted:

There is a different track that gets you 12 too.
ATAPS, but it can be trickier to access.

SynthOrange posted:

It used to be something like 20 per year when I started back in 08 but it's been steadily whittled down and all it's done is made it more of a hassle since I've had to go back to my gp for MHCP updates.

It was originally 6+6+6 (although theoretically the final 6 were only if condition had worsened), then when they changed it to 6+4 they were persuaded to keep it as 6+6 for the rest of that year (2012).

*source: actually a psychologist. Also worked admin for a private practice for 4 years around the time the Better Access scheme started.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Never mind that research suggests that highest efficacy of therapy is with 20 sessions with less frequent top ups on an ongoing basis. Or it might have been double that, I forget. Anyway, people other than beancounters show that what is given is nowhere near enough.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

xPanda posted:

Never mind that research suggests that highest efficacy of therapy is with 20 sessions with less frequent top ups on an ongoing basis. Or it might have been double that, I forget. Anyway, people other than beancounters show that what is given is nowhere near enough.

Yep, I remember hearing at the time that 6 had been picked because it was the average number of sessions (which would include those who went for a single session and never returned), rather than because of any evidence about recovery.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Like all cuts of this type, six was picked because it was the lowest number they thought they could get away with.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The European Court of Human Rights this week held there was no violation of an employee's right to privacy after his employer read his instant messages.
Romanian engineer Bogdan Barbulescu was asked to create a Yahoo instant messenger account to answer clients' queries.

The court held the company's monitoring of Barbulescu's communications with his brother and fiancee was reasonable in the context of disciplinary proceedings and was not a breach of his human rights.

Australian legal experts say employees in Australia should be aware employers can also monitor their communications they make using messaging apps such as Yahoo Messenger, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.
Tim Wilson, Australia's Human Rights Commissioner, says the decision of the European court has no legal impact in Australia, but like most discussions around human rights, the right to privacy is contextual.
"If emails account or phones are established for work purposes, or are accessed through work systems, they can be supervised by employers," he says. "If communications are strictly personal then monitoring by employers would be a violation of an individual's right to privacy."

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Don't panic worker bee, I'm just reading the text messages you send to your hot wife. Hey, nice snapchat Susan. GET BACK TO WORK.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Woolworths accused of cancelling baby formula orders from Asian Australians
Shoppers who believe their accounts were suspended because of their surnames are taking legal action against the supermarket

Fresh in our memories.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Fresh in our mammaries.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

SynthOrange posted:

Woolworths accused of cancelling baby formula orders from Asian Australians
Shoppers who believe their accounts were suspended because of their surnames are taking legal action against the supermarket

Fresh in our memories.

Weren't' they cancelling unreasonable bulk orders to prevent people who actually need the formula missing out?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Kinglsely Liu, from the Sydney-based law firm the People’s Solicitors, is representing Sarah Kong and said he would make a formal complaint to the Australian Human Rights commission about her case. He is also in discussions with two other parents about their complaints.

“Kong ordered four tins of the formula around New Year’s Eve, but her formula never arrived,” Liu said. “Her account was cancelled, and after making some inquiries she was given vague reasons as to why, things like cancelling accounts was up to the discretion of the supermarket, and that cancelling accounts was within the terms and conditions.

“I think these customers have been given inadequate reasons and feel a bit shortchanged in not knowing what’s going on, and the community will start drawing their own conclusions in the vacuum of silence from Woolworths.”

Guardian Australia has contacted Woolworths for comment.

Another parent, Adrian Cheng, told News Corp Australia his Woolworths account had been cancelled after he ordered four tins of formula for his newborn: “I emailed them back asking, ‘Why did you ban me?’

“They called me the next day and said, ‘Potentially you might have had multiple accounts … We believe you may have committed fraud.’ I just feel insulted.”

Another father, Reginald Dong, had his account cancelled under similar circumstances.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also back to piracy I guess.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jan/15/netflix-to-stop-australians-accessing-us-content-library-with-proxies-and-vpns

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.crikey.com.au/2016/01/15/razer-bowie-rape-culture-and-how-feminism-became-the-westboro-baptist-church/

Is this article any good?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Helen Razer? :itwaspoo:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What actually happened with Bill Shorten and the kid.

Spoiler alert: it's pretty heartwarming and Shorten did nothing wrong.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What actually happened with Bill Shorten and the kid.

Spoiler alert: it's pretty heartwarming and Shorten did nothing wrong.

:3: that was a surprise twist

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Ahahahah 4 tins. Carry on, Woolworths are assholes.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Endman posted:

Oh thanks for reminding me I should get up to the GP and get my sessions now

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Helen Razer? :itwaspoo:

I dunno, she's funny sometimes and more often than not she's right.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah I dont know if cancelling your order for baby formula is really a violation of human rights.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

I don't know but the url doesn't fill me with hope

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

I for one would love to read that Razer article. Can somebody with a sub please post it itt?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

NSW Greens MP:
https://twitter.com/MehreenFaruqi/status/687741943627911168

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Laserface posted:

Yeah I dont know if cancelling your order for baby formula is really a violation of human rights.

It is when they only do it because of your race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

HookShot posted:

It is when they only do it because of your race.

On the other hand - and playing Devil's advocate because I handled this exact issue for Coles - I think it'd be difficult to find people of other races doing this. This poo poo is endemic and both Coles and Woolworths are going to huge lengths to stamp it out. Anyone who knows anything about the SEA region also knows that their baby formula products are absolute poo poo, too.

• Locked thread