Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

But, what if the old dude was skateboarding down a hill after punching a blind kid who was looking at his girlfriend and, he slipped after trying to kick a kid, and careened off into traffic?

How autistic is the skateboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

mostlygray posted:

I concur. I normally don't get into pet discussions and I try not to derail but I just had to put my dog down so I'm in a mood (old and ill was he, multi-organ failure, etc.).

All dog's are fine unless their owners are a pile of poo poo. I've never known a dog that I couldn't calm down with a kind voice and a talking to. Even angry dogs can be calmed. Attack dogs can be calmed (unless their owner is directing them, in which case, god help you) but poo poo bag owners can create animals that won't relax. I've never felt afraid around a dog in my life and I've never been bitten. You just have to be calm, and judge the amount of dominance and attention the animal needs.

Never hit. Never hit. Never hit, unless the animal is trying to kill you. You can normally use voice to control the dog the same way dogs use barking.

Exception is dogs around children. Kids don't know how to behave. Be very aware and put the fear of god in your dog if it snaps at a kid. The kids can't defend themselves. My dog was barky but never bit a person in his life. He didn't listen to everyone, but he always listened to me. He let me know when people were at the door, killed every UPS package delivered, and kept my feet warm.

Good Dog, Good Boy.

Sorry for the derail.

My brother's sister in law has a pitbull with such ridiculous separation anxiety that it has to be crated when they leave or it will completely destroy the house.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

mostlygray posted:

I concur. I normally don't get into pet discussions and I try not to derail but
:words::words::words::words::words::words::words:
Sorry for the derail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOeHGOchts8

How about instead of apologising for reopening the derail after it finally went away, you just delete this post? Or cut/paste it to Pet Island or something?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Oscar nominations came out and people are up in arms that the awful whitewashed Straight Outta Compton didn't get nominated for a bunch of poo poo. I understand you need to support the main characters in a movie, but turning those flawed assholes into heroes and changing the narrative of something so recent that people in this country that grew up with NWA already know was loving stupid.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Phanatic posted:

FBI chief Jim Comey's prattling campaign for mandatory backdoors in commercial encryption just got undercut by the *former head of the NSA*:
It's only because NSA has already cracked the common commercial encryption and doesn't want amateurs like FBI spoiling their fun :ninja:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ariza posted:

Oscar nominations came out and people are up in arms that the awful whitewashed Straight Outta Compton didn't get nominated for a bunch of poo poo. I understand you need to support the main characters in a movie, but turning those flawed assholes into heroes and changing the narrative of something so recent that people in this country that grew up with NWA already know was loving stupid.

Wait, they whitewashed Straight Outta Compton? How does that work? All I heard was that Ice Cube's son was playing himself. They whitewashed the other roles? That's really dumb.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait, they whitewashed Straight Outta Compton? How does that work? All I heard was that Ice Cube's son was playing himself. They whitewashed the other roles? That's really dumb.

Whitewashed in the sense that it kind of glossed over a lot of their more prominent flaws, like Dre's issues with women. Not whitewashed in the sense that the actor for Eazy E is white.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This is high art. This should be in the Louvre.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpaceViking posted:

Whitewashed in the sense that it kind of glossed over a lot of their more prominent flaws, like Dre's issues with women. Not whitewashed in the sense that the actor for Eazy E is white.

It's incredible that we've reached the point where upon hearing that a fictional account was whitewashed, our first thought is "They made black people white." The actual definition instead of the social justice pun just flies over our heads.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
The fun starts at 2:51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAIY0I5GGw4

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

chitoryu12 posted:

It's incredible that we've reached the point where upon hearing that a fictional account was whitewashed, our first thought is "They made black people white." The actual definition instead of the social justice pun just flies over our heads.

I think it's more due to Hollywood's history of doing that. poo poo like having Christian Bale in Exodus, etc etc.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

This is a pro-click right here.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpaceViking posted:

It would be hilarious if they'd put some scrawny white dude with a Michel Cera moustache mimicking Eazy-E's voice just for the backlash.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Jesse eisenberg, this summer, in a role he was born to play...

Tupac

The man, the myth, the legend.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

[/quote]

Jokes on them, they're the ones going to Hell for not praying towards Mecca.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bN76TvJspY

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oh gently caress.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/california-powerball-winner-nurse-7-kids-article-1.2497484

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Mans posted:

It would be hilarious if they'd put some scrawny white dude with a Michel Cera moustache mimicking Eazy-E's voice just for the backlash.

Eminem and they film the movie in Detroit during the dead of winter.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Is the schadenfreude that she has a fuckstick for a son?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I feel kinda bad laughing about this because of the "IN THE HOOD" video title and montage of black guys trying to steal the bike.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Ride the Ralphercoster.
https://youtu.be/r-hp5RTGZ2I?t=1m42s

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

See, what I really got out of this video is that there's a related video titled "Hilarious diarrhea compilation" and I can't help but wonder just what we're doing with our lives now.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

See, what I really got out of this video is that there's a related video titled "Hilarious diarrhea compilation" and I can't help but wonder just what we're doing with our lives now.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Gonna Make You LMFAO

Gonna Make You LMFAO

Gonna make YOU laugh MY loving rear end off...? :gerty:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Schadenfreude by VR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPKezzAfzOY

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Buff Skeleton posted:

Gonna Make You LMFAO

Gonna Make You LMFAO

Gonna make YOU laugh MY loving rear end off...? :gerty:

The L stands for "lick".

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It's a pretty funny video but it's not even close to being in the "hood". It's right off the 101 and Vine in Hollywood.

I bet it didn't take them very long to film this. Having done something similar you'd be surprised how quickly someone comes along and takes a bike that isn't locked up.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

zakharov posted:

MRAs continue to be dumb as hell

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/gL7zSVl.png[[/timg]

Flawless logic

Every one of those motherfuckers has seen that movie seven times.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It wouldn't matter even if it was perfect logic.

Yes, you denied the filmmakers of $4-million. Guess they'll have to cry themselves to sleep with the other $1.94-billion the film made.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I recall being told that somewhere, Lucas said he was annoyed that the new film did so well. Can anyone confirm/deny? Because if he really was mad that the movie did so great without his interference... :allears:

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I recall being told that somewhere, Lucas said he was annoyed that the new film did so well. Can anyone confirm/deny? Because if he really was mad that the movie did so great without his interference... :allears:

In the Red Letter Media reviews they convincingly show how annoyed he was at how well Titanic was doing, so for his own franchise doing record breaking numbers without him must rile him.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Olewithmilk posted:

In the Red Letter Media reviews they convincingly show how annoyed he was at how well Titanic was doing, so for his own franchise doing record breaking numbers without him must rile him.

Depends if he still owns the merchandising rights, I guess.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

spog posted:

Depends if he still owns the merchandising rights, I guess.

He sold everything. I think all he gets is "based on characters created by".

I mean, he got 4 billion for it, and he needed that money so little he said he planned on donating it to education charities, so he neither needs nor wants our sympathy.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Memento posted:

He sold everything. I think all he gets is "based on characters created by".

I mean, he got 4 billion for it, and he needed that money so little he said he planned on donating it to education charities, so he neither needs nor wants our sympathy.

Is Lucas not a Disney stock holder now? I thought that some of the $4billion was stocks/shares and the rest was cash when he sold LucasFilm.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yes, you denied the filmmakers of $4-million. Guess they'll have to cry themselves to sleep with the other $1.94-billion the film made.

And lol if they actually did boycott it. Just like in this situation here:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Olewithmilk posted:

Ah, yes, the 'like I sold my film to white slavers' or such line that he took back a day or so later after the film's first success weekend. Sour grapes are best when taken from the tree ala lightsaber.

But it does show that the main problem with the franchise was him. It's hard to watch The Force Awakens and notice that the frame isn't jampacked with CGI characters like the world's weirdest Mad Magazine fold-in. There's a lot going on, but there's a sense of style in the mise-en-scene that Lucas just did not understand. Not to mention that the pacing was miles above anything in the first six films, the dialogue was decent, and the movie had a nice flow to it. It's like everybody watched the Red Letter Media critiques of the second trilogy and learned from them. Then again, they weren't trying to claim sole credit for a movie franchise that they sank, either.

ultrabindu posted:

Is Lucas not a Disney stock holder now? I thought that some of the $4billion was stocks/shares and the rest was cash when he sold LucasFilm.

The way Lucas flipped out and then retracted that statement doesn't really sound like an employee being reined in as much as someone's handlers saying 'cut it out, we don't want to piss off Disney.' That said, the best schadenfreude for this whole thing is Disney tossing out Lucas' ideas for Episode 7 because they seemed too much like Episodes 1-3.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm just waiting to see the hollywood account that turns this into a loss on paper.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Ah, yes, the 'like I sold my film to white slavers' or such line that he took back a day or so later after the film's first success weekend. Sour grapes are best when taken from the tree ala lightsaber.

But it does show that the main problem with the franchise was him. It's hard to watch The Force Awakens and notice that the frame isn't jampacked with CGI characters like the world's weirdest Mad Magazine fold-in. There's a lot going on, but there's a sense of style in the mise-en-scene that Lucas just did not understand. Not to mention that the pacing was miles above anything in the first six films, the dialogue was decent, and the movie had a nice flow to it. It's like everybody watched the Red Letter Media critiques of the second trilogy and learned from them. Then again, they weren't trying to claim sole credit for a movie franchise that they sank, either.

The way Lucas flipped out and then retracted that statement doesn't really sound like an employee being reined in as much as someone's handlers saying 'cut it out, we don't want to piss off Disney.' That said, the best schadenfreude for this whole thing is Disney tossing out Lucas' ideas for Episode 7 because they seemed too much like Episodes 1-3.

Most of this I agree with but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater in claiming the new movie is better then the original trilogy. Marcia Lucas did an unbelievable job editing those movies, and if anything, one of the few legit criticisms of the new movies is it moves extremely fast to a slight detriment to the plot a couple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I recently watched Episodes 4, 5, 2, 3, 6 in that order (the "Machete order") like I assume an awful lot of people did. This was the first time I'd watched them in this order or that close in time (did it over about a week) and a few things stood out:

- The story of 2 & 3 isn't *that* awful, but the dialogue and pacing is.

- Return of the Jedi is a fantastic movie.

- All of the "Special Edition" bits were loving terrible, stuck out like a sore thumb and made the original movies worse. This is an important one because almost the whole of the 3 prequels were seemingly made with the same philosophy as the Special Edition add-ins for Eps 4-6, which ties in with what Mad Doctor Cthulu said:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

But it does show that the main problem with the franchise was him. It's hard to watch The Force Awakens and notice that the frame isn't jampacked with CGI characters like the world's weirdest Mad Magazine fold-in.

Totally agree with this. They got the balance way better in TFA.